PDA

View Full Version : New Barnes pistol bullets?

DeltaKilo
01-24-09, 23:18
I've been reading that Barnes has replaced it's XPB line of pistol bullets with a new bullet. However, my google-fu is weak and I cannot find more than articles announcing it and basic info on Barnes' site.

Anyone know what's different about them?

Zhukov
01-25-09, 19:40
All I've been able to find is what Barnes has on their website:

"Designed for law enforcement and personal defense, 100-percent copper TAC-XP™ pistol bullets meet the requirements of lead-free practice environments. They maintain their original weight and track straight after being fired through intermediate barriers like car doors, plywood and automobile windshield glass. Available in .380 ACP, 9mm, .38 Special, .357 SIG, .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, .45 GAP and .45 ACP calibers."

They're for sale for reloading from places like MidwayUSA already. http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=670902

Strangely enough, Midway doesn't have the XPB for sale anymore. I wonder if the TAC-XP isn't just a "tacticool" name for the XPB. The link above also has the following little blurb:

"Very similar to their XPB bullet, Barnes has created the TAC-XP bullet, designed primarily for law enforcement and personal defense. These bullets have been tested in a variety of situations including shooting through barriers like wood, glass and metal, each time maintaining their original weight. TAC-XP bullets are 100% copper making them safe for the environment."

[ETA] - Sorry - just read that you already found the basic info. A call to Barnes might be in order.

Chris Sanchez
01-25-09, 23:08
Zhukov, do you know of any website that shows the loading data of such bullet using Vihtavuori powders, specially in 9mm?

SMJayman
01-25-09, 23:13
Zhukov, do you know of any website that shows the loading data of such bullet using Vihtavuori powders, specially in 9mm?You might want to contact Barnes. They have reloading data for their rifle bullets on their webpage. Their accuracy load for 62gr TSXs worked really well for me. (Like 1 hole at 100 yards good.) Failing that, I'd take a listed 9mm load and work up.

Zhukov
01-26-09, 10:15
Just talked to one of the Barnes tech support guys. He said they were the same, with the exception of the .44spl bullet which was redesigned to function at lower velocities for the new snub-nose revolvers on the market. Otherwise, he said it was all a marketing issue to make it easier for LEOs and the such to order from, and they were also going to split the self-defense ammo off on its own web page. The traditional "hunting" bullets would stay on the TSX/XPB side, while the LEO/SHTF stuff was going to remain on the regular Barnes website (although I imagine there will be some overlap).

As far as load data - I don't have a Barnes manual, and this is the only data on their website: http://www.barnesbullets.com/images/9mmLugerWeb.pdf

I do load their 140gr TSX in my 7mm Remington Magnum - a very accurate bullet.