PDA

View Full Version : Scratches on Combat Optics

BushmasterFanBoy
11-30-06, 21:26
For those of you who have been in less than ideal conditions through combat or competitions, how easily are optics, specifically an uncovered optic such as an Eotech, scratched?

I would think that in such situations, I would'nt really give a crap about my optic, it's my ass I'd be worried about. Therefore, wouldn't an optic be scratched inevitably, by gravel, dirt, sand, brush, even walls and other barriers?

Second, if your optic has been damaged, how easy is it to still function without the scratch hampering your vision. I would assume that a two eyes open-optic like the Eotech or Aimpoint would ease this.

BushmasterFanBoy
03-11-07, 21:28
I just thought about this again recently. I didn't feel like starting a new thread so, I gave this one a bump.:D

STLRN
03-11-07, 21:34
I have seen allot of ACOG all scratched to hell. They degrade the optics, but they still remained usable. I think an ACOG can make it through 4-5 OIF rotations, after that they are trashed.

Razorhunter
03-11-07, 22:33
I know for a fact that only a scratch or two on an ACOG is no big deal at all. Granted, I'm not talking about DEEP as hell scratches, but I shot a buddies that had two considerable scratches right smack dab in the middle of the large main objective lens, and you couldn't really tell at all in any lighting condition.
They were easy to see, when not looking through the scope, but just not really that visible when using/looking through he scope...

jmart
03-11-07, 23:38
Are these things threaded for aftermarket filters? Like UV filters or something that could serve as a sacrificial piece of glass to protect the main glass? There are plenty of filter makers that make excellent quality glass for high end photography equipment. I'm thinking a decent multi-coated $50 filter could go a long way towards protecting high end optics.

Harv
03-12-07, 16:38
That's 1/2 of the reason I use a Killflash on my Aimpoint. As a cheap outer protection for the objective lens of the aimpoint.

As long as I can see the red dot thru the lens, I'm happy. If you looking thru the sight and seeing scratches...then your not focusing on the dot and the target....;)

Plus, you can cover your objective lens on an Aimpoint (and EOtech as well) and still see and use the dot just fine. So it can be scratched all to hell. or be covered in mud/snow/rain,etc and still work. (which is why it's such a good combat optic...)

BushmasterFanBoy
03-12-07, 21:28
Anyone know of some sort of lens cover for the Eotech?

Bcm3087
03-15-07, 11:54
GG&G is coming out with one. Was supposed to be out last year, now supposedly will be out this year, hopefully in the next month or two. Should be available from GG&G or Operation Parts. Looks pretty slick (saw one last year at SHOT), and glad someone finally had the idea.

BushmasterFanBoy
03-16-07, 19:29
GG&G is coming out with one. Was supposed to be out last year, now supposedly will be out this year, hopefully in the next month or two. Should be available from GG&G or Operation Parts. Looks pretty slick (saw one last year at SHOT), and glad someone finally had the idea.

If that isn't the one neoprene sleeve cover, but an actual lens cover or extended sunshade, they can definitely count on me buying one!:D

Got any pics?

fivepointoh
03-21-07, 15:36
My Aimpoint M2 has some considerable scratches on it...but still functions fine...just some character marks. I'll see if I can find some pics of it.

ETA:....doh you're talking about the lenses....n/m mine are in pretty pristine shape...

Glockster35
03-21-07, 20:30
Scratched lenses are common on hard use weapons. I look forward to seeing GG&G's EO Tech cover, sounds like the ticket I need in order to make the EO Tech my next optic!