PDA

View Full Version : IRON BRIGADE ARMORY vs. GAP vs. TEXAS BRIGADE ARmory

K9222
01-25-09, 11:35
About to build a custom bolt gun if my POF 308 will ever get here. I have hardly any experience with bolt guns and Im just going to do it right the 1st time, not like I did with all my AR's. Anyone had experience with IBA or TBA? I've heard all the raving reviews on GAP.

Buckshot TX
01-25-09, 20:35
I've had contact with the 'smiths & products of all 3 - can't go wrong with any of them;)
I'd personally go TBA, but that's mainly because they're relatively local.

SCL
01-25-09, 21:43
Do a search on these three over at snipershide forums and you will get a lot of info. In my 15 years of shooting precision tactical riles and following these companies, here is my opinion:

1. GAP is the way to go. George and crew do top notch work and do it relatively quickly. Prices are reasonable for quality and timeliness of delivery. They run a professional shop and generally deliver on their promises.

2. IBA: The Chandlers are marketing whores and often sub-vendor out some of their work on their so-called supergrade Chandler Sniper. Their product does not live up to its advertising IMHO. Way overpriced for what you get. Do they build good guns?? Yes they do, but they cost a hell of a lot more than they should...you pay a lot for the "Chandler" cache.

3. TBA - quality work but delivery times suck. Mike rotuinely promised delivery times and never met delivery dates on time. You are better off getting a lightly used, but already built one IMHO.

Personally I would skip all three and get an AI AW. I did it years ago and have never been happier with a bolt gun.

My .02 YMMV

ronin16
01-25-09, 22:25
That's the way to go. I had a GA Precision and nothing wrong with it but out of the box the AI AW will last you a lifetime!!!Got one on order now from BLANKSGUNS . Stacey is GTG and he'll get you set up right the first time!!!

memberonly
01-26-09, 19:05
I have a TBA M40A1 for a while and am still very happy with it. It's accurate but Mike's current waiting time is very long. He is more less a one man operation and "might" be able to expedite your order a little bit if you are LE or Mil.

I have only handled GAP/IBA and they are top quality rifles as well. Both also have long backlog. You won't be disappointed with the quality you get from those three. If you are not the patient type, check the classified at sniperhide forum.

hope this help.

K9222
01-28-09, 05:53
Thanks for the information. I got alot more info here, than I have gotten on the internet for the last couple of weeks. I'll most likely go with a GAP or IBA. The AI AW rifles are sweet but I dont have that much to spend. Im only looking to spend around $3000 (rifle only) at the most. I'am LE so maybe that would help some as far as the wait time goes cause I dont go to the School until November of this year.

Littlelebowski
01-28-09, 06:17
AI AW or GAP. Avoid IBA.

KACSR15
01-28-09, 07:17
+1 on searching over at the snipershide.

As for back log at GAP you have to call George. Depending on what exactly you are looking for you might be suprised on how quick he can turn one out. I just (today) recieved a quote of 2-3 months for a particular build. If he has the parts on hand then it's a quick build by today standard.

But there are many other smiths building high spec rigs. Do the search at the Hide and you will find out! ;)

K9222
01-28-09, 15:23
Just curious, why avoid IBA. From what I hear they do excellent work their just REAL expensive. If my POF is not hear by the end of Feb. (8th month Ive been waiting after I was quoted a 5 month wait) then I will get a GAP gun. I called GA Precision and I was astonished to actually get to speak to George. I didn't think I would get to speak with the man himself, just figured I would speak with one of his builders or a sales person. He was really cool, and said to give him a call when a I wanted to start my build. If my POF is not here by end of Feb. than Im canceling that order and getting a GAP.

Littlelebowski
01-28-09, 15:57
For one thing, they are overpriced. For another, IBA is ripping off the Marine Corps with their $18K XM-3 rifles as detailed here (http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=468519&page=1).

Patrick Aherne
01-28-09, 17:40
GAP - my personal rifle outshoots a couple of rifles on our team that cost almost three times as much. The thing is a friggin' laser. It is a .5 moa rifle in the cold, hot, wet, blah, blah, blah. It is a machine.

ronin16
01-28-09, 21:09
For a little over $3K you can get the AE model from BLANKSGUNS that he's got posted on the Sniper's Hide. Accuracy International and don't look back!

KACSR15
01-28-09, 23:28
Very true, Stacey has a sale running on left overs as the AE line is getting getting upgrades for 09'. Time to push the old to make room for the new :p.

But if someone were to opt for a GAP Basic Tactical rifle it can be had for $2450 with barrel maker options at no extra cost. Bartlein, Obermeyer and Schneider are all on hand for .30 cal builds right now.

$600 difference buys a lot of ammo or would go towards a nice piece of glass.

But it is tough to really compare AI anything against a tuned build custom 700 though.

K9222
01-29-09, 05:41
KACSR15 is right. With me on a LE budget and trying to support a girlfreind while she goes back to school, I'm lucky if I'll be able to afford middle eastern surplus ammo to shoot out of what ever I get. haha, Just kiddin about the surplus thing, would never do that unless it was my last resort. I did talk to George the other day and he said they use Bartlein Barrels strictly now. I wonder why? I havent read much about them but I have heard alot about the schneiders? Sorry if I got a lot of questions, I'm new to sniper rifle stuff and forums.

Littlelebowski
01-29-09, 05:59
If you're on a budget, go buy a Savage .308. Good rifles. We had one perform quite well at one of our classes.

Voodoochild
01-29-09, 07:49
GAP is top notch and Balnkenship is also top notch as mentioned before. KACSR15 KAF is only big enough for 1 M4C member so you best hit the PAX and get out of dodge..:p

KACSR15
01-29-09, 09:04
GAP is top notch and Balnkenship is also top notch as mentioned before. KACSR15 KAF is only big enough for 1 M4C member so you best hit the PAX and get out of dodge..:p

Hey man, only if I am lucky will I get out thru the TLS in a month or so. I've been here since July 07 and the wifey says it's time to come home, NOW :eek:! Being a contractor has it's advantages at times, want to leave, catch a hop out :p...... Maybe it really is time, chow halls are turning into a zoo and it's going to get real crowded.

Back on topic. OP, check out this linky. It's a fair listing of builders. There are many more out there it just takes some research.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=963571&nt=2&page=1

Voodoochild
01-29-09, 10:30
Man we got here at the same time. FYI if you need to get out to Ali Al butthole (Kuwait) hook up with the Aussies guaranteed flight out. I got the hook up with the fixed wing folk and can get a flight whenever I want. Also Terry Kross (or Cross) is a well known builder but not sure if he is still taking orders. Check on the hide you can get the low down from the builders themselves.

calebgriffin31
02-01-09, 12:40
Well Good information on all three builders. Messing with the Corps is never a good idea.

on a side note... voodoo you better scoot on over, there are a few more boys in town. I do agree, the Bulgarians need their own chow hall, and gym for that matter...

TacticalIntervention
02-04-09, 12:15
Chandler makes a fine rifle. I would own one in heart beat if I had the money

TBA makes fine rifle

Terry cross makes fine rifle

I say call these guys up and talk with them. Then decide whats right fit for you

sgtlmj
02-16-09, 22:04
I have had a TBA M40A1 since 1996, and it is still a laser with over 3K rds. through it. I have had all my work and checkups done at GAP, since TBA takes too long.

As others have said, watch the snipershide forums for lightly used rifles. Someone over there is always getting the itch for something new and putting their well-equipped rifles up for sale.

maximus83
02-19-09, 16:51
If you're on a budget, go buy a Savage .308. Good rifles. We had one perform quite well at one of our classes.

That's what I did. I wouldn't pretend that a Savage measures up to a GAP, but for me as a civilian shooter it'll suffice quite well. My Savage 10FLP (pics here (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19524)) has been scary accurate. It had some modest customization work and a new stock from the factory. It has produced some groups under 0.4", and can keep most types of ammo in groups under 0.5". The custom shop sent a 10-shot group at 0.37", using their hand loads. Unfortunately though, haven't had a chance to try it at 800 to 1000 yard ranges. Would really like to see how it does at the longer distances.

billybronco
02-19-09, 19:33
none of the above.

go to tacticaloperations.com

there is no better custom bolt gun.

there is also nobody else who can compete with their accuracy guarantee.

there's a reason LAPD SWAT has a contract with them for their guns.

yrac
02-19-09, 21:22
none of the above.

BB - some specifics behind your recommendation would be useful. Thanks.

sgtlmj
02-20-09, 01:05
none of the above.

The main reason:

Tactical Operations, Inc.
433 North Camden Dr. 4th Fl. #239
Beverly Hills, Ca 90210

:p

j/k

At the high end of things, most of the 'smiths are drawing from the same technology and share talent and tricks amongst each other. There's so much work out there that there isn't really a cut-throat rivalry going on. Pick from any of the 'smiths mentioned, lay down your coin, and you'll end up with a stick that'll outshoot you.

Dave L.
02-20-09, 02:02
none of the above.

Didn't LAPD SWAT also give Kimber a contract for a 1911 :eek:

KingChronic
02-20-09, 11:42
IBA "chandler" rifles are over rated and way over priced. they sub out alot of their work while GAP and others do it all in house and stand behind it.

avoid IBA like the plage.

GAP, PAI, KMW, LSR are all great builders.

Dave L.
02-20-09, 12:11
IBA "chandler" rifles are over rated and way over priced. they sub out a lot of their work while GAP and others do it all in house and stand behind it.

avoid IBA like the plague.

GAP, PAI, KMW, LSR are all great builders.

Excellent first post. Welcome to the site!
I agree with you 100% on Chandler rifles.

CarlosDJackal
02-20-09, 12:19

Ditto!! I've never met a shooter who has not been happy or have out shot their Savage out of the box.

TacticalIntervention
02-20-09, 18:04
On TacOps. of the many many sniper rifles I have shot, the Tac Ops I own is the most accurate with Factory ammunition.

Savage is nice rifle for the money but many can out shoot the Savage

KingChronic
02-20-09, 18:15
Savage is nice rifle for the money but many can out shoot the Savage

yup they're nothign special and i find it funny that no matter how much money somebody is willing to spend somebody is going to come into the thread and praise how great their savage is. somebody could be asking which AI to buy and somebody is going to recommend a savage.

i myself have no problem outshooting a savage and i sit there scratching my head when im shooting a savage and it will only shoot 3/4MOA then i move over to my patriot arms rifle and shoot 5 5 shot groups all which measure under 1/4MOA.

even for a beginner i would still buy a remington because you have a better action to build on when you decide to start doing custom work. me personally i dont even use remington actions anymore my new go to bolt gun is on a M2008 action which i have to say is the best rifle ive owned to date. sure ive had custom rifles that would shoot 1/4MOA a fair percent of the time but until now ive never had one that will do it ALL the time. then people call BS on 1/4MOA groups but yet theres a company (tacops) that GUARANTEE'S this accuracy.

POF.Ops
02-20-09, 23:08
Youn can't go wrong with a Rem 5R. I have a GAP Crusader and I love it. I broke the handle off my bolt trying to remove a cartridge that the case was too long (My fault, I didn't trim it). Called GAP and spoke with George, sent them the bolt and handle. I had it back within one week repaired and refinished better than new. That's the kind of support and service that will keep me loyal to their brand.

DrDoot
02-23-09, 12:31
Mike Lau knows his stuff.