PDA

View Full Version : Range Report Part II: SLR-106FR

Jay Cunningham
12-01-06, 01:58
Since last my last range report, I have installed a BF/Vickers Combat Applications adjustable 2 point sling, an Ultimak picatinny rail gas tube and an Aimpoint in a very low mount (allowing it to co-witness.) The Aimpoint is an interim solution on this carbine, as I have a much smaller optic on backorder from LaRue Tactical.

As I shoot the 106 more I can feel it loosening up. The action cycles very smoothly and I have had no failures of any kind in 420 rounds of 55 gr. AE and Lake City. I also ran a few token rounds of 62 gr. and 4 rounds of 75 gr. TAP.

I don't know why this carbine seems to be making so many people crazy on the various forums; I guess it is combination of things. Myself, I had 4 original "issues":

excessive windage required
odd trigger
tight fit for magazines
mediocre finish

As far as the windage, the carbine is zeroed at 100m and that is that. I can buy an adjustable rear sight if I desire but I don't consider it much of an issue.

The odd trigger is exactly as Arsenal advertised, but it's just not for me. It takes up and breaks just like a standard two-stage military trigger. I personally don't think a two-stage is appropriate for a fighting carbine, nor do I like the squishy reset, so I am simply replacing the FCG with the excellent G2 FCG for $40.00 - so much for that.

The magazines are starting to wear in. The rifle is very tight for an AK so hand cycling through magazines is necessary. They have all fed reliably (for the most part) and I like the transparent feature for a quick ammo check, so with a bit more insertion and removal cycles I think these should all be good to go. 3 out of 10 magazines had 1 or 2 round FTF's on the last remaining rounds in the magazine. I plan on stripping these and cleaning them in a mixture of water and Simple Green and trying them again.

Concerning the finish - it's not that bad. Just keep the gun scrubber or acetone off of it. Personally I feel that the perfect maintenance solvent/lube for the Kalashnikov platform is Ballistol - it is like CLP for AK's.

I'd like to try a few magazines of 62 gr. to see if it has a preference one way or the other. However, this may constitute a preoccupation with inconsequential increments.

current round count: 420
55gr. Lake City xm193 and American Eagle

Latest shooting conducted at 10m offhand, controlled pairs and failure drills. Carbine handled well, shots were quick and precise. Felt a bit front-heavy, Ultimak-mounted Aimpoint seems like too much optic; *note to self* need to work on upper body conditioning.

Gloves are mandatory - Kalashnikov variants are sharp and get hot in weird places.

Vickers CA sling very much starting to grow on me but certainly requires a collared shirt to prevent chafing the neck. SWIFT lever is a must-have.

Next range report at 1000 round milestone.

Range Report Part I: SLR-106FR Function Check and Zeroing (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=2122)

M4arc
12-01-06, 06:24
Great follow up, thanks for keeping us up-to-date!

Oh yeah, where are the pictures? :p

Jay Cunningham
12-01-06, 08:58
Great follow up, thanks for keeping us up-to-date!

Oh yeah, where are the pictures? :p

No problem; like I said when I hit 1000 rounds I'll post part 3.

Pics! I wanted to keep this thread info oriented, and keep the pr0n to a minimum. That being said, I'll see what I can do... ;)

M4arc
12-01-06, 20:11
No problem; like I said when I hit 1000 rounds I'll post part 3.

Pics! I wanted to keep this thread info oriented, and keep the pr0n to a minimum. That being said, I'll see what I can do... ;)

Understood, but be sure to add them to our AK picture thread tacked at the top of this forum :)