PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use gloves while shooting?

J Crew
12-01-06, 07:07
does anyone use gloves while shooting? i have a condition on my hands called eczyma on my hands, which causes severe dry skin and cracking. it only affects my hands in the winter, but it's pretty painful. so i have to use alot of lotion and stuff to protect the skin on my hands and help ease the cracking and pain. well i can't do much shooting in the winter for two reason. first, the cold air drys my skin out quickly and causes more irritaion. second, if i use lotion then my hands are slippery and there's no use to trying to shoot.

so with that said, are there any gloves that can be use for shooting? i did a search on google and come up with some swat gloves... that's about all i could find. so i was wondering if there's anyone on the boards that may use gloves and can recommend a certian brand/type. also wondering if using gloves is completely un-heard of, and if i'll look like an a$$ out at the range. thanks for any help and suggestions.

- Jason

David Thomas
12-01-06, 07:46
see this thread for a lot of options:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=2089

Also you can do a search of the tactical gear section of this forum.

Chris_C
12-01-06, 11:34
does anyone use gloves while shooting? i have a condition on my hands called eczyma on my hands, which causes severe dry skin and cracking. it only affects my hands in the winter, but it's pretty painful. so i have to use alot of lotion and stuff to protect the skin on my hands and help ease the cracking and pain. well i can't do much shooting in the winter for two reason. first, the cold air drys my skin out quickly and causes more irritaion. second, if i use lotion then my hands are slippery and there's no use to trying to shoot.

so with that said, are there any gloves that can be use for shooting? i did a search on google and come up with some swat gloves... that's about all i could find. so i was wondering if there's anyone on the boards that may use gloves and can recommend a certian brand/type. also wondering if using gloves is completely un-heard of, and if i'll look like an a$$ out at the range. thanks for any help and suggestions.

- Jason

Dont ever worry about looks while at the range...Let the gearwhores do that...

My father has the same condition, the tips of his fingers are always craked and bleeding. I am sure you have gone through all the finger condom stuff and Px lotions, etc....

1st thing that came to mind was to load up all your mags prior so while at range, the wear and tear will come from shooting and mag changes. Mag's are crazy cheap these days, so stock up if you haven't and before the dems take them away and prices go through the roof.

If you need some gloves still, They make good soft one's that will maintain the dexterity you'll want. Some .mil flight gloves work for me when I need gloves, but they make better more expensive ones as well.

Good luck, let us know what you go with.

SOPMOOD
12-01-06, 12:32

- Jason

I swear by these:
http://www.lapolicegear.com/hatch.html
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/policestuff_1926_112263933
Shooting in any condition often calls for gloves, so don't worry about what gear whores think, all they care about is looking cool. Function rarely follows form.

baffle Stack
12-01-06, 19:11
As these guys have said gloves are great. They take a little getting used to and are a bit slippery on my Glock. Skateboard tape fixes that in a snap.

They’re nice for shooting an AR too, especially if you're using an A2 grip. Gloves stop that blister from forming on your middle finger from the trigger guard.

And like these guys said, wear what works. I don't use the latest high speed gloves. I use my dirt bike gloves. They're comphy and cut to allow you to grab onto the throttle, very much like griping a pistol grip.

J Crew
12-01-06, 19:27
Dont ever worry about looks while at the range...Let the gearwhores do that...

My father has the same condition, the tips of his fingers are always craked and bleeding. I am sure you have gone through all the finger condom stuff and Px lotions, etc....

1st thing that came to mind was to load up all your mags prior so while at range, the wear and tear will come from shooting and mag changes. Mag's are crazy cheap these days, so stock up if you haven't and before the dems take them away and prices go through the roof.

If you need some gloves still, They make good soft one's that will maintain the dexterity you'll want. Some .mil flight gloves work for me when I need gloves, but they make better more expensive ones as well.

Good luck, let us know what you go with.

thanks for the suggestions on the mags. that's exactly what i do with my glock mags before i go shooting. so i'll defenitely check into buying some more ar mags. also, the links provided from everyone has taken my search in the right direction and i'm sure i'll make a decision this weekend. i'll post back and let everyone know the results.

btw... i've been over at ar15.com for a few weeks, and i have to say that i like this board alot more. it looks better, has full function without a membership, and everyone on here is very helpful. there's a big difference in attitudes on this board compared to ar15.com. just my observation... and since i'm new on both forums... i think it's pretty unbiased. thanks again.

- Jason

MASP7
12-01-06, 21:51
I'm a lifelong eczema sufferer also, so I know what you mean. I recently found this stuff, which is the best hand cream I've ever used, by far.
Gold Bond Ultimate Healing Skin Therapy Lotion-

http://www.chattem.com/whatsnew/gb-ultimate.asp

My hands crack and bleed every winter, and exposure to Gunscrubber will make them bleed for weeks anytime I'm around it.
The GB is well worth trying. It's worked better than prescription drugs for me.

As for gloves- try the Neumann receiver gloves-
http://www.hitrunscore.com/fbr-neumann-football-receiver-gloves.html

They have "tackified" leather, which lets you hold on to things better. They're well made, relatively cheap, and for some reason, I find them to be warmer than they ought to be. I got a black set at Dick's sporting goods and used a Sharpie to black out the white lettering. They have lasted for years.
I originally bought them because a lot of the SWAT guy had them, and were happy with them. They are the only gloves I'm comfortable to shoot with.

JEHalloranIV
12-02-06, 06:28
You don't even have to spend a bundle on the latest greatest black and velcro cowboy cool guy gloves...I use Mechanix gloves year round...$16-19 at Auto Zone...lightweight and thin enough to run about any drill you can think of...

ShortyB
12-02-06, 08:23
You should always use gloves that have leather on the inside. If you wear a cloth or wool lined glove they will absorb the oils that you need on your hands.

I use black baseball batting gloves.

KevinB
12-02-06, 13:37
I run the standard Nomex flight gloves -- dirt cheap and protective (althought I worry about fire primarily.)

They have leather palms /inner of the fingers -- but ANY glove will soak up the oils from your skin --

Bonk2029
12-02-06, 13:52
I have a battered pair of USGI Nomex flight gloves, and they work fine. IF/when I ever wear them out, I might replace them with a pair of the Oakley tactical gloves - I've tried out a pair that a friend has, but my cheap ass can't justify them right now. :D

03humpalot
12-02-06, 14:25
I have tried all kinds of stuff and finally settled on USGI flight gloves back when i was still in the service. I have little girl hands so finding stuff that fits without having to cut fingers is hard.

About a week ago i found these little jobs in the local P.X.
http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/3781/whitewater2io8.jpg
http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/5750/whitewater1wl3.jpg

They cost $10.00, actually fit my webbed mutant hands and are comfortable as hell. They are made by a company called Whitewater.

They are backed by a mesh/spandex type material and the underside appears to be deerskin (or thin leather,not really sure). Quality seems good so far and at that price im going to stock up whenever i get back there.

Just another option for you.

03humpalot
12-02-06, 14:30
Forgot to add, the leather is thinner than on flight gloves so you have better dexterity(sp?).

Chris_C
12-02-06, 20:43
Forgot to add, the leather is thinner than on flight gloves so you have better dexterity(sp?).

I have only 1 pair left of my issue flight gloves where the fingers are not gone and worn out...I like gloves with short fit, IE not covering the wrist...I gotta check those out.

J Crew
12-02-06, 21:49
I'm a lifelong eczema sufferer also, so I know what you mean. I recently found this stuff, which is the best hand cream I've ever used, by far.
Gold Bond Ultimate Healing Skin Therapy Lotion-

http://www.chattem.com/whatsnew/gb-ultimate.asp

My hands crack and bleed every winter, and exposure to Gunscrubber will make them bleed for weeks anytime I'm around it.
The GB is well worth trying. It's worked better than prescription drugs for me.

As for gloves- try the Neumann receiver gloves-
http://www.hitrunscore.com/fbr-neumann-football-receiver-gloves.html

They have "tackified" leather, which lets you hold on to things better. They're well made, relatively cheap, and for some reason, I find them to be warmer than they ought to be. I got a black set at Dick's sporting goods and used a Sharpie to black out the white lettering. They have lasted for years.
I originally bought them because a lot of the SWAT guy had them, and were happy with them. They are the only gloves I'm comfortable to shoot with.

thanks for that link on those gloves and the info on the gold bond lotion. i've thought about buying that stuff before, but never have. i will be buying some tomorrow. thanks again.

JeepDriver
12-03-06, 08:57
Mechanix gloves

Might not be tactical, but they are under $20 and avaliable @ any auto parts store

http://www.fototime.com/22AF69A854F1B8B/standard.jpg

Logic
12-05-06, 05:50
Is there a website for ordering mechanix gloves?

Joe R.
12-05-06, 09:36

I believe Cabella's sells them, you might try there.

GlockWRX
12-05-06, 09:57

I believe Lowes has them in their stores. Maybe Home Depot too.

MudBug
12-05-06, 11:32

I get mine from Pepboys or Autozone.

GlockWRX
12-05-06, 11:42
I forgot to mention that the local hardware stores usually have other carpenter/tradesmen/work gloves that offer good dexterity and protection for a modest cost. I have a pair from Kobalt that would be great shooting gloves, and I think only paid $15 for them. They don't offer the slash resistance of a kevlar lined glove or the fire protection of a Nomex glove. But to keep your hands from getting tore up or burned by hot barrels they work great.

Business_Casual
12-05-06, 12:38
Another vote for flight gloves. I used SOLAG gloves for a while but they don't offer much over flight gloves and cost a lot more per pair. You can wear out a couple of pairs of flight gloves for the same money. Come to think of it, they may have stopped making SOLAG gloves.

M_P

223Rem
12-05-06, 21:33
These are what I use..........in all shooting conditions. Tight, form fitting and little loss of manual dexterity (try threading a needle with other gloves).

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=121

As another post mentions, load your mags prior to going to the range.........may be not the best idea.........check with your local laws. But certainly invest in some form of mag loader.

S-1
01-04-07, 04:44
I have a battered pair of USGI Nomex flight gloves, and they work fine. IF/when I ever wear them out, I might replace them with a pair of the Oakley tactical gloves - I've tried out a pair that a friend has, but my cheap ass can't justify them right now. :D

I actually prefer the Nomex flight gloves over the Oakleys for shooting. I find the Oakleys to be uncomfortable while shooting, but they are GREAT if you have to go "hands on" with some assbag. :D

They aren't worth the $70 Oakley asks for them as they fall apart just as fast as any other glove. I get mine for $35 bucks though. :cool:

bradb55
01-04-07, 20:59
I use air force flight crew gloves. They are cheap and comfortable. Good luck in your search:)

Hoplophile
01-04-07, 21:37
Walmart and pretty any place that sells tools and/or car parts.

I like mine but the nylon stuff on back catches on velcro like used on mag pouch flaps and gets in the way when doing mag changes.

I got fed up with them and the only decent replacements I could find on short notice were some nomex aviator 'style' gloves with a made in Pakistan tag. At least they didn't snag on velcro...

I passed near Ft Campbell over Christmas and took a little shopping detour. I picked up a couple pair of 'real' aviator gloves in one of the surplus stores and they are much better than than the crappy ones I was making do with.

1911_CQB
01-06-07, 12:54
I use nomex gloves with the trigger finger and thumb cut off on my right hand whle I am deployed, so I use it most of the time while shooting at home. Works pretty good.

Batt 57
01-08-07, 21:09
I also use the nomex flight gloves and because I am a medic I wear nitrile gloves under them. I wear them when training as well as on calls.

I could care less what people at the range think.

M4Guru
01-08-07, 21:25
I use Oakley SI gloves, or Mechanix with the cowhide palms and knuckles. They hold up forever, unlike the Oakleys.

Everything that happens to your gloves is something that doesn't happen to your hands!!!!

ETA: These appear to be the updated models of the Mechanix gloves, they don't make mine anymore.

http://garage.mechanix.com/detail.aspx?ID=56

xm17sbullpup
02-15-07, 16:45
Walmart has Wells Lamont Mechanic Gloves in all Black for under $10.00. I've been wearing them for about a month as patrol/shooting gloves. They work pretty well and you can't beat them for the price.

OrdnanceCorp
02-15-07, 21:29
I am what alot of my soldiers call a glove freak. I have flight gloves, the operator gloves, the short cheap ones from the px(one of my favorite)someone else showed you in an earlier post, I have about 8 pairs of Mechanix Wear gloves and they are by far my favorites! I am a mechanic in the Army, and they seem to last better than the cheaper brands. They really are great for around 20 bucks.

These were my favorite Mechanix gloves till some a**clown stole them from me at the shop! These were my "high speed" gloves LOL
http://garage.mechanix.com/detail.aspx?ID=14

This is what I would reccomend: http://garage.mechanix.com/detail.aspx?ID=4

Obiwan
02-16-07, 07:50
I am on my second pair of Oakleys

It did take some getting used to but now I hardly know that I am wearing them

Until it gets down near/below zero they work great

They are vented real well, so even on hot days my hands don't sweat

I also use nitrile gloves for my cleaning chores

TUNNEL RAT 33
03-11-07, 12:53
for shooting on really cold days i use a pair of outdoor research ice climbing gloves . i got them from eastern mountain sports www.ems.com . they are like wetsuit gloves but are thin and dont affect dexterity much , and they keep your hands warm . in the summer i use a pair of regular flight gloves .

nyeti
03-11-07, 23:58
I like the Oakley's for patrol work.....good to search with and they are GREAT in fights. For everything else............nomex flight gloves-disposable, cheap (free-issued:D ), and offer good protection and dexterity.