PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else catch that CBS news gun sale piece?

markm
01-26-09, 08:25
Unbelievable.

They tried to say that the primary reason for gun sale madness was that people were affraid that the banks would fail, and they'd need to defend themselves in the chaos.

Secondarily, they said there might be fears that Obama would raise taxes on guns/ammo.

They didn't even address the ban potential or new gun restrictions.

ToddG
01-26-09, 08:31
http://ginacobb.typepad.com/gina_cobb/images/2007/09/19/rather_biased.jpg

http://www.ratherbiased.com/photos/dan_gun.jpg
Dan Rather & CBS's history of anti-2A propaganda (http://www.ratherbiased.com/guns.htm)

Safetyhit
01-26-09, 08:43
More ultra-slanted crap from the left. Facts be damned, as usual. :rolleyes:

Can a balance ever be achieved in main stream reporting?

markm
01-26-09, 09:00
They interviewed some decent sized gun dealer in CT. He's the schmuck that made the bank failure comment. I wonder how many dealers they talked to before they found one who would NOT say peole are affraid of Ali Bama Bans.

NetJunkie
01-26-09, 09:14
While I don't think it's the primary driver of sales....not by a long shot...I do know several people that bought for that reason. People that didn't buy guns before suddenly did.

Safetyhit
01-26-09, 09:16
They interviewed some decent sized gun dealer in CT. He's the schmuck that made the bank failure comment. I wonder how many dealers they talked to before they found one who would NOT say peole are affraid of Ali Bama Bans.

I did not see the piece, and I am stunned to hear that a dealer made that comment. It does indeed sound like they must have shopped around a while, even in CT, before they found that moron.

Never, for even a second, have potential bank failures motivated me to buy more weapons, ammo or equipment. My normal motivations until now were to protect my family and self, to be prepared for potential natural disaster, and also be prepared for a dirty bomb aftermath (I do live in NJ). I suppose I can see the logic, to a slight degree, but it is a little extreme and certainly not the reason people are doing so much buying now.

Now that Obama is up, I am considering a purchase or two this year in case of another ban, just like everyone else.

M1A2_Tanker
01-26-09, 09:22
Bulgaria, Latvia, Lithuania, Hungary, Greece and Iceland have all faced social unrest and rioting as unemployment soars
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/4316058/Crisis-meeting-called-on-violent-protest-across-Europe.html

The Labor Department reported Thursday that initial jobless benefit claims rose to a seasonally adjusted 589,000 in the week ending Jan. 17, from an upwardly revised figure of 527,000 the previous week. The latest tally was well above Wall Street economists' expectations of 540,000 new claims.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/01/22/new-jobless-claims-jumps-k-exceeding-expectations/

While I don't think economic fear is the primary reason, I think it part of the equation.

variablebinary
01-26-09, 09:23
I dont think its totally offbase for a person to buy firearms as a safety net against totally economic meltdown.

However, in this case, guns selling fast and furious is about the Obongo Bin Biden show more than anything else

mattjmcd
01-26-09, 10:59
If you buy into the "the economy is in the toilet, so people are buying guns" theory, wouldn't you conclude that a more rational behavior would involve the *sale* of one's guns?

Honestly, I know plenty of folks buying right now, some for the first time. All of them say "it's now or never with Obama in office!".

markm
01-26-09, 11:21
I just boils down to CBS smoke screening for Obama until they can sneak some legislation through... in my opinion.

The National news networks must surely feel emboldened after their propaganda machine got one of the least qualified individuals out there into the White House. They must think Americans will believe anything they say.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-26-09, 11:53
Who knows, I wouldn't put it past them to ask the guy the "Why" question, and then kept on asking for another reason till they got the one they wanted. Then, if you need video, just ask if he could explain that point. A little editing, and viola, you get what you want.

Winston Smith
01-26-09, 11:59

Schmuck is right. :mad: They are near where the wealthy reporters live.

Support good gun shops, where the owners stand up for the second ammendment.

A-Bear680
01-26-09, 12:16
I think that some of the gun-grabbers are getting a little twitchey because Mr. Obama has been tip-toeing around the whole "gun control" minefield for some time now.
No exec orders on imports , no action to go back to the CCW ban in National Parks ( and a Secretary of the Interior who supported the change when he was a Senator! ) no Clintonian speeches about gun control.
Wise choices for any President with a very full plate. If he needs traction --throw the Brady Bunch under the bus.

The poor babies must be feeling neglected and betrayed about now.
:D

Army Chief
01-26-09, 12:27
I'm not feeling quite so cavalier, personally, but here's hoping you're right. I would like nothing more than to be able to buy a Massoud or ACR 2-3 years from now. :)

AC

A-Bear680
01-26-09, 12:39
Don't get me wrong , I agree that we are in for a long hard fight.

Still , it's good to see the leftie coalition showing some hairline stress cracks around the edges , especially this soon in the honeymoon.

Army Chief
01-26-09, 12:45
You'll get no argument from me. We need every small victory we can get, brother.

AC

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-26-09, 13:07
The one thing that worries me is BHO's attacks on Rush Limbaugh. He seems to think that he can use Rush as fulcrum between moderate and conservative Rep. An AWB ban would also force RINOs to choose between the being BHO buddy and doing the "right" right thing.

We all say that he won't touch it while the economy is bad, but if it stays bad, and he can gin up some crime numbers, it might be a way to get a 2 month reprieve on people on the right harping about the economy.

Gutshot John
01-26-09, 13:20
The one thing that worries me is BHO's attacks on Rush Limbaugh. He seems to think that he can use Rush as fulcrum between moderate and conservative Rep. An AWB ban would also force RINOs to choose between the being BHO buddy and doing the "right" right thing.

We all say that he won't touch it while the economy is bad, but if it stays bad, and he can gin up some crime numbers, it might be a way to get a 2 month reprieve on people on the right harping about the economy.

I'm not a fan of Rush, but there is ZERO daylight between him and me on the rkba. If BHO wants to use Rush as a wedge, than he's in for disappointment. The "RINOs" have already become Dems.

The American people want him to fix the economy as he promised to do. That's first and foremost, if he actually succeeds in fixing it, then he MIGHT be able to make a case for implementing a left-wing agenda. Given that our current economic policy is FUBAR such an outcome is well beyond his control and will almost certainly fail.

If Obama doesn't fix the economy and deliver on a few of his promises, than diversion to gun control will be a transparent admission of failure. Please let him be that stupid in his first term, it will be the shortest-lived Donkey majority in political history.

RogerinTPA
01-26-09, 15:16
The ignorant dealer tried to over dramatize gun sales during his 15 mins of fame. I bet he felt pretty clever when he said it. :rolleyes: If gun dealers are selected for a mouth piece for the industry, they should keep to the "facts" and not BS.:mad: Running your mouth in front of the camera, for the sake of running it, does Not do gun owners any favors.

g5m
01-26-09, 16:47
http://ginacobb.typepad.com/gina_cobb/images/2007/09/19/rather_biased.jpg

http://www.ratherbiased.com/photos/dan_gun.jpg
Dan Rather & CBS's history of anti-2A propaganda (http://www.ratherbiased.com/guns.htm)

It goes back to long before Rather. Walter Cronkite was just as much an anti-2A propagandist.

The Dumb Gun Collector
01-26-09, 17:43
They tried to use our range to take some stock footage for a "Dateline" segment. Our membership voted HELL NO. We knew absolutely what it would be used for. They would find the fattest, ugliest guy there (that would be me) who had the most tacticool gun (ahem, me again) and show him with scary voice-overs.

These guys are clueless. They don't understand guns, gun culture, or care to. They know that scary news sells, and they know that the Chablis-drinking liberals at the parties they attend would approve.

R1pper
01-26-09, 17:59
Does any one have a link to the story. Also what Store did they do the interview at, I live on the MA/CT border and I go to CT stores a lot, I might be able to provide some insight on the shop.

EDIT: Nevermind I found it, I have no idea what store that was. Dont forget the could have edited the story to seem like that is what he said first and foremost (about the banks and rioting) and then made the comments about BHO. Also I love how they interview a dolt who really has no idea what he is talking about.

Also I love how they have him showing a M60 :rolleyes:

-DM-

Winston Smith
01-26-09, 18:45
I might be able to provide some insight on the shop.

EDIT:

Nevermind I found it, I have no idea what store that was.

Also I love how they interview a dolt who really has no idea what he is talking about.

-DM-

Its in a city who's first letter is "N". There are some good people working there, but the dolt... is. :p

R1pper
01-26-09, 18:58
Its in a city who's first letter is "N". There are some good people working there, but the dolt... is. :p

Norwich? Please tell me that not you........ If so insert foot here.

-DM-

Winston Smith
01-26-09, 20:24
I'm not anyone you know... as for the city, further desponent sayth not. ;)

marylandsniper
01-26-09, 22:42
I think that some of the gun-grabbers are getting a little twitchey because Mr. Obama has been tip-toeing around the whole "gun control" minefield for some time now.
No exec orders on imports , no action to go back to the CCW ban in National Parks ( and a Secretary of the Interior who supported the change when he was a Senator! ) no Clintonian speeches about gun control.
Wise choices for any President with a very full plate. If he needs traction --throw the Brady Bunch under the bus.

The poor babies must be feeling neglected and betrayed about now.
:D

I second that...