PDA

View Full Version : How to snag a lower parts kit?

SecretAgentMan
01-26-09, 08:46
The only thing preventing me from building out my mid-length Bravo Company uppers is the shortage of lower parts kits. Short of getting taken for a ride on GunBroker, what's the best strategy for snagging a lower parts kit? I'm thinking about placing an order with Rock River, but figure I could be waiting for months.

NetJunkie
01-26-09, 08:51
Go to the BCM site and have it notify you when they get them in stock. I got a couple from them last week like that.

Rider79
01-26-09, 09:00
I ordered off DPMS website. They didn't have them in stock, but I got mine pretty quick, and they didn't charge my card til they shipped. I also got 2 sets from M&A, when I talked to him he said he had them in stock, but he was backlogged so it would take him a couple weeks to ship them. He sent them out within a week. This was back in late November for both these instances though.

C4IGrant
01-26-09, 09:14
We are missing two parts in our LPK's (and have been for some time now) or we would be able to offer you ours. :mad:

C4

SecretAgentMan
01-26-09, 09:19
We are missing two parts in our LPK's (and have been for some time now) or we would be able to offer you ours. :mad:

C4

Thanks Grant. Your parts kit is the one I really want. However, they sell out so fast that I don't have a lot of confidence that I'll be able to get one.

The only kit that Bravo sells is DPMS. Is this a quality lower parts kit?

C4IGrant
01-26-09, 09:27
Thanks Grant. Your parts kit is the one I really want. However, they sell out so fast that I don't have a lot of confidence that I'll be able to get one.

The only kit that Bravo sells is DPMS. Is this a quality lower parts kit?

DPMS would NOT be my first choice, but at this point and time (if you are in a hurry), you kind of have to take what you can get.

C4

vaglocker
01-26-09, 09:35
I ordered a Stag/CMT parts kit directly from Stag and got it in about two weeks. This was about a month ago.

markm
01-26-09, 09:37
This was about a month ago.

That's the same as a year back in Obama years.

vaglocker
01-26-09, 09:41
That's the same as a year back in Obama years.

Ordering directly from Stag is still worth a shot. When I did it the run on guns and parts was already in full swing and no one, but no one had any lower parts kits.

REDMAN
01-26-09, 09:50
DPMS would NOT be my first choice, but at this point and time (if you are in a hurry), you kind of have to take what you can get.

C4

Grant,

Other than your LPK, what would be a good LPK? I am spoken with you about getting one of yours, and am patiently waiting for my turn.

SecretAgentMan
01-26-09, 10:02
Ordering directly from Stag is still worth a shot. When I did it the run on guns and parts was already in full swing and no one, but no one had any lower parts kits.

I just talked to them. They're at least five weeks out on lower parts kits, and want $17.25 just to ship one to Georgia. :mad:

Kaos
01-26-09, 10:10
I've been contemplating just ordering bulk of each component one paycheck at a time until I have a good kit built up.

I think springs you might be able to get a ton of at once (or one huge spring and cut to length) and the same for roll pins.

The hard part is going to be the actual parts.

So - has anyone done this ? what springs can one use for the AR that could be ordered from mcmaster carr? or a roll pin assortment?

I actually am considering doing this and then putting some catch assemblies (mag / bolt) on order. FCG seems it will be the hard part.

C4IGrant
01-26-09, 10:57
Grant,

Other than your LPK, what would be a good LPK? I am spoken with you about getting one of yours, and am patiently waiting for my turn.

LMT, Colt and even Stag would be what I would get.

As luck would have it, we got in a small batch of Stag LPK's so you guys better then them while you can!

We also got in their 6 position RE's! :eek:

C4

Rider79
01-26-09, 10:59
are they up on your site? I was just getting ready to place an order.

C4IGrant
01-26-09, 10:59
are they up on your site? I was just getting ready to place an order.

Yes, under Stag.

C4

C4IGrant
01-26-09, 11:00
We also got 20 of their lowers! :eek:

C4

Rider79
01-26-09, 11:05
We also got 20 of their lowers! :eek:

C4

Found the LPK, just placed my order. You caught me just in time to pull the Surefire G2 out of my cart and put in the LPK instead.

How much are the lowers? Can't find them on the site.

eflatlander
01-26-09, 11:19
I got two ordered !
Thanks!!Grant
I still need the two I have pending,I hpoe you get the remaining parts soon.

SecretAgentMan
01-26-09, 11:56
Just ordered two of the Stag LPK's. Thanks, Grant! Glad I didn't have to go with DPMS.

C4IGrant
01-26-09, 12:31
And they are gone!

C4

chadbag
01-26-09, 12:42
I ordered a Stag/CMT parts kit directly from Stag and got it in about two weeks. This was about a month ago.

Interesting. I have had stuff on order since the election with them and have heard nothing and have heard they are 20 weeks out

Chad

John_Wayne777
01-26-09, 12:47
And they are gone!

C4

Dammit.....I just had 2 Stag lowers I had on order come in.

Figures.

rob_s
01-26-09, 13:11
I'm anxiously awaiting one of the G&R LPKs less trigger, but frankly with the SSA trigger backorder backlog it wouldn't do me much good in the short term anyway.

Did get in on the Stag LPK from Grant just now.

vaglocker
01-26-09, 13:40
Interesting. I have had stuff on order since the election with them and have heard nothing and have heard they are 20 weeks out

Chad

I was surprised too, because I got the ,"We are a million weeks behind" line when I originally talked to them on the phone but got the shipping confirmation about a week later.

5pins
01-26-09, 13:58
Snagged me a Stag. And people say that sitting at the computer for hours on end doesn’t pay off.

markm
01-26-09, 14:16
Snagged me a Stag. And people say that sitting at the computer for hours on end doesn’t pay off.

Indeed. Now I'm a stripped lower away from another AR.

UVvis
01-26-09, 15:34
Indeed. Now I'm a stripped lower away from another AR.

Kinda makes me wonder. If all the M4C members pooled the "builds in progress, but am waiting for parts" assets, how many AR's we would be able to assemble?

Gentoo
01-26-09, 17:43
Sigh... this is what I get for going to bed......

Rider79
01-26-09, 20:10
Kinda makes me wonder. If all the M4C members pooled the "builds in progress, but am waiting for parts" assets, how many AR's we would be able to assemble?

I've got 4 complete lowers sitting in my safe, waiting for uppers, it'll be down to 3 after my BCM with the DD rail gets here Thursday. I also have 4 LPKs, including the 1 I just ordered from Grant. I'm waiting for a couple lowers to come in at my local shop, but I'm not too worried about it.

BVickery
01-26-09, 20:26
I was thinking of grabbing the Stag LPK but since me and the wife just bought funds and putting the ARs on kind of back burner for a few months will just wait for the G&R Tactical LPKs to come in.

markm
01-27-09, 07:57

87! ARs.

Stripped lowers are all over town here. I just need to get out and grab one later this week or something.

Rider79
01-27-09, 10:48
87! ARs.

Stripped lowers are all over town here. I just need to get out and grab one later this week or something.

Where and how much? I swear I'll drive down there, there aren't any up here, and I've been waiting weeks for my guy to get some in. I got 2 complete LMTs from Rainier about a month ago, and I got 2 RRA stripped lowers the week after the election for $189 apiece. Makes me wish I didn't sell the Gunsmoke Enterprises lower I had to my buddy over the summer for what I paid for it ($110 out the door).

markm
01-27-09, 11:12
Where and how much?

I was in Pistol Parlour this past weekend and they had Sun Devil Billets for 179. The also had some DPMS, but I didn't see the price on those.

According to TOS AZ hometown forum, Shooters world has a bunch ranging from $150 to $199... cmmg, superior, and S&W. S&W being the most expensive.

carbinero
01-27-09, 11:17
Within the last few weeks, I picked up a RR for $199 at Tucson Guns, and 2 LPKs from Code 4 Tactical. They're MI, which he said look identical to Armalite. Thumbs up for good 1st experience with Code 4...no idea if he has any more...

Anyhow, they're back-up to the 2 LPKs I'm waiting for from Grant :cool:

Rider79
01-27-09, 11:20
I was in Pistol Parlour this past weekend and they had Sun Devil Billets for 179. The also had some DPMS, but I didn't see the price on those.

According to TOS AZ hometown forum, Shooters world has a bunch ranging from $150 to $199... cmmg, superior, and S&W. S&W being the most expensive.

Hmm. Nevada residents can buy firearms in AZ, right? Is that an okay price for the SunDevils, current climate considered? I don't really have any experience with them. I'm planning on driving down there on the 23rd of next month to visit a friend who will be in Phoenix from back East, I'll have to talk to you about the availability situation before I come down.

rob_s
01-27-09, 11:21
At those prices, I'd look real hard at the lowers from Defensive Edge. Sully makes a real good case for why his lowers are better. I'll have one, along with a KAC lower, in my hands this afternoon.

I'd find it hard to pay $200 for a DPMS lower when the Sully and KAC each cost me $200.

Rider79
01-27-09, 11:23
At those prices, I'd look real hard at the lowers from Defensive Edge. Sully makes a real good case for why his lowers are better. I'll have one, along with a KAC lower, in my hands this afternoon.

I'd find it hard to pay $200 for a DPMS lower when the Sully and KAC each cost me $200.

Yeah, but I can't drive to Florida, Rob. :D I would like one of those defensive edge lowers though. I saw the write-up on them in SWAT awhile back.

rob_s
01-27-09, 11:28
Sully's lowers are available through the Defensive Edge site. I just emailed them, they told me when they were in stock, and I ordered one. Really simple and painless.

markm
01-27-09, 11:39
Hmm. Nevada residents can buy firearms in AZ, right? Is that an okay price for the SunDevils, current climate considered? I don't really have any experience with them. I'm planning on driving down there on the 23rd of next month to visit a friend who will be in Phoenix from back East, I'll have to talk to you about the availability situation before I come down.

You could call Clyde at pistol parlour before you make your trek. I personally don't want a billet lower. The Sun Devil lowers have some upper/lower tensioning screw in the bottom (where you'd put an accuwedge). I don't know if I like that either.

I just prefer a traditional lower.

Rider79
01-27-09, 11:41
Sully's lowers are available through the Defensive Edge site. I just emailed them, they told me when they were in stock, and I ordered one. Really simple and painless.

Went to the page, on the search results page, it says they're in stock for a limited time, but when you click on it, it says January 2009, out of stock, email to get on waiting list. So that's what I did.

Rider79
01-27-09, 11:43
I'm sure I'll check out some gun shops anyway when I'm there. Any knowledge about being able to sell to NV residents?

markm
01-27-09, 11:49
Went to the page, on the search results page, it says they're in stock for a limited time, but when you click on it, it says January 2009, out of stock, email to get on waiting list. So that's what I did.

Is this where you were? It lets me add a lower to my cart.

http://prostores2.carrierzone.com/servlet/defensive-edgenet/-strse-Parts-cln-Lowers/Categories

Rider79
01-27-09, 11:53
Yeah, but when you click on it, it says this on the actual page for the lower:

"January 2009 - we are currently out of stock on CY6 lowers. If you wish to add your name to the waiting list, please email sully@slr15.com."

Rider79
01-27-09, 11:57
When you go to actually check out, it gives you the message that you need to email or call them. I'll wait and see if they answer my email. I don't need one, I just want one. I'm getting tired of looking at all these complete lowers I have sitting around, and no uppers to be found for them.

canucksvt
01-27-09, 12:00
C4

Which parts are you missing Grant?

markm
01-27-09, 12:21
When you go to actually check out, it gives you the message that you need to email or call them. I'll wait and see if they answer my email. I don't need one, I just want one. I'm getting tired of looking at all these complete lowers I have sitting around, and no uppers to be found for them.

I'm sure they just need to get the FFL info exchange started.

Rider79
01-27-09, 12:24
We'll see. I'm not too worried about it.

teufeldog
01-27-09, 21:45
I saw from Sully's page that it said out of stock too. I emailed them to get on the waiting list on the 22nd but haven't heard anything back yet.