PDA

View Full Version : Blended Metal Ammo

Jim from Houston
01-26-09, 11:22
A while back, some folks were having a laugh about a product called DRT ammo.

Website is here:
http://www.drtammo.com/

And Dr. Roberts had mentioned that, actually, this product used a legitimate design concept and that, if executed properly, a true blended metal bullet could offer extremely impressive accuracy and decent terminal effects (at least in rifle calibers).

The problem with the LeMas RBCD stuff was evidently not the fact that blended metal bullets don't work, but the fact that the LeMas stuff were not, in fact, actually blended metal, just repackaged commercial rounds.

Dr. Roberts had mentioned that he might get some of this DRT ammo and test it out to see if this ammo was, in fact, the real deal - and I was just wondering if there's anything to report on that front? Do the DRT rounds offer the true blended metal performance advantages?

Marcus L.
01-26-09, 13:29
Aren't all bonded loads technically "blended metal" bullets? The copper alloy jacket molecules chemically bond with the lead core and that attachment point is a "blended" metal.

Weaver
01-26-09, 13:47
Aren't all bonded loads technically "blended metal" bullets? The copper alloy jacket molecules chemically bond with the lead core and that attachment point is a "blended" metal.
No - core-jacket chemical bonds don't qualify as "blended metal" - that term has specific meaning (referenced, I believe, in DocGKR's outstanding stickied post above debunking the LeMas claims) which refers to a blend of metals contained in the core of the bullet.

DocGKR
01-31-09, 15:52
See the definition of “blended metal” in regard to small arms projectiles as defined by NSWC Crane: www.fbo.gov/spg/DON/NAVSEA/N00164/N0016404R4846/SynopsisR.html

The PRL/DRT projectiles meet the definition, the LeMas/RBCD do not.

Jim from Houston
01-31-09, 22:00
Doc - Is the DRT product made by PRL, or are they totally different companies?

Kaos
01-31-09, 22:33
As a lawyer friend of mine once stated it blended 'jury will fry your ass' metal.

At least - when asked if it was something he would carry. Im sticking to Hornady Tap and Speer GD's since that's what I have in my ammo boxes.

crossgun
02-05-09, 15:57
JIM

DRT is not made by PRL. PRL no longer exists. DRT is operating under licenses from Harold Beal, formerly of PRL. PRL made their bullets pretty much by hand. DRT has automated the process.