PDA

View Full Version : HELP WITH M4 AND COMMONLY USED ACRONYMS

cool breeze
01-26-09, 16:51
hey guys i am new to this site and have found it very helpful. i am looking at possibly building or buying a M4 carbine and would love anyones input on what to watch out for and to see if anyone has already done one and could offer advise. also call me stupid but can anyone help me with all these acronyms that are being used i cannot figure out what some people are talking about due to all the acronyms. thanks in advance for your guys help and advise.

SMGLee
01-26-09, 17:03
Move this post from SHOT picture section to General discussion.

thank you.

as for what to do when buying first AR/M4, my honest suggestion is to buy quality, since you would only have to buy once.

make sure you are buying the gun from a reputable manufacture..

Chrome line barrel and Mp tested bolt and barrel are few things to be aware of. also adding a o-ring to your extractor is a big plus with any M4.

buy good quality magazines and also plenty of ammo so you may take a class or two with a good instructor...Larry Vickers come to mind quickly plus a few other such as Magpul Dynamics, and Jeff Gonzales.

extra money left over can be pointed toward a good red dot optic.

ARin
01-26-09, 17:06
Dont use all caps. And ask more specific questions.

spamsammich
01-26-09, 17:25
read the threads listed here:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7355

Read, comprehend, lurk, search, then ask if you still have questions. The search function on this site is very useful, unlike the neutered search function on other such enthusiast sites.

edit:

found another good list of threads for you:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7009

lmmmmm
01-26-09, 18:24
also adding a o-ring to your extractor is a big plus with any M4.

b

can you be more specific on the 0-ring. I've heard this before but not sure which one to get or how it is applied...

thanks

As for acronyms, put together a list you accumulate then post it. someone will fill it in for you.

Rider79
01-26-09, 20:31
I just wanna know what "YMMV" means. I figure it means "your (blank) may vary". Just don't know what the first M means.

lmmmmm
01-26-09, 20:34
Ah, you want normal Internet speak.

here you go: http://www.gaarde.org/acronyms/

CCSO3932
01-26-09, 20:45
What does TOS stand for and mean?

lmmmmm
01-26-09, 20:49
when talking about Star Trek, TOS is for the original series...:D

but in the context of this forum. It refers to The Other Site. It's refers to other popular AR15 forum

Etiquette says not to mention competing forums.

Veracity
01-26-09, 23:15
when talking about Star Trek, TOS is for the original series...:D

but in the context of this forum. It refers to The Other Site. It's refers to other popular AR15 forum

Etiquette says not to mention competing forums.

It's like Voldemort.

We dare not speak it's name.

Iraqgunz
01-27-09, 01:32
Your Mileage May Vary.

I just wanna know what "YMMV" means. I figure it means "your (blank) may vary". Just don't know what the first M means.

IROCZ
01-27-09, 01:38
Since this can of worms is already open, Uh, what does EBR stand for?

ramis
01-27-09, 01:42
[QUOTE=IROCZ;297277]Since this can of worms is already open, Uh, what does EBR stand for?[/QUOTE

Evil Black Rifle

bkb0000
01-27-09, 02:27
Your Mileage May Vary.

i learned this one, and a lot of forum acronyms, on a hooker-review website i had to do some research on for a term paper years ago. i was kind of shocked when i saw people using it here. course, M4 and the hooker site are the only two forums i've ever spent any amount of time on.

i, uh, had to do some... uh, research.. for a, um, an, uh.. a term-paper. for school.

IROCZ
01-28-09, 00:57
i learned this one, and a lot of forum acronyms, on a hooker-review website i had to do some research on for a term paper years ago. i was kind of shocked when i saw people using it here. course, M4 and the hooker site are the only two forums i've ever spent any amount of time on.

i, uh, had to do some... uh, research.. for a, um, an, uh.. a term-paper. for school.

Tell it to the Judge son, I don't want to hear it, didn't you know you have the right to remain silent?
:D

IROCZ
01-28-09, 01:07
[QUOTE=IROCZ;297277]Since this can of worms is already open, Uh, what does EBR stand for?[/QUOTE

Evil Black Rifle

Oh thats it huh? Well my 6920 must be defective. I mean it's all warm and cuddly, really, like a kitten. It's always been extremely well behaved, comes home when I do, never carped about how many beers I was going to drink that night. She always gives me a peaceful, warm, confident feeling. Damn thing must be broke. But I must admit I like it like that. I've never had to worry about it sneaking around the house when I'm sleeping, pointing at things. Even though it's broke, I think I'll keep it, She looks great in the morning light! Thanks Brothers!

:D

Parabellum9x19mm
01-28-09, 01:07

if you see people saying that their AR is fluent in English, French and Greek start being concerned. very concerned.

bkb0000
01-28-09, 02:40
if you see people saying that their AR is fluent in English, French and Greek start being concerned. very concerned.

;)

if my gun spoke french i'd never go home

cool breeze
01-29-09, 07:02
hey guys i am new to this site and have found it very helpful. i am looking at possibly building or buying a M4 carbine and would love anyones input on what to watch out for and to see if anyone has already done one and could offer advise. also call me stupid but can anyone help me with all these acronyms that are being used i cannot figure out what some people are talking about due to all the acronyms. thanks in advance for your guys help and advise.

IS THAT BETTER ARIN i mean is that better ARin:D

cool breeze
01-29-09, 10:07
Ah, you want normal Internet speak.

here you go: http://www.gaarde.org/acronyms/

thanks but is was looking for more along the lines of acronyms used on this site.

ARin
01-29-09, 12:00
There are a lot of acronyms used on this site, some AR specific, and some that are just general internet acronyms...

FCG: fire control group
VFG: vertical forward grip
BCG: bolt carrier group
LMT: lewis machine and tool
CMT: continental machine and tool
RE: reciever extension
FH: flash hider
bbl: barrel
MOE: magpul original equipment (trade name)

then of course general internet ones:

YMMV: your mileage may vary
AFAIK: as far as i know
FWIW: for what its worth
IMHO: in my honest (or humble) opinion

etc etc ad nauseum.

If there are any specific ones, please let us know.

Mark-VA
01-29-09, 21:07
Here's a thread with a few more: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=20781