PDA

View Full Version : What tools do I need to purchase?

SecretAgentMan
01-26-09, 19:59
I'm about to put together my first couple of AR-15s. I need to install two lower parts kits into two lower receivers. I also need to install a couple of Magpul UBR stocks. Eventually, I plan on installing a Larue free-float rail, though I might let a local gunsmith handle that.

Now, if I go by the Brownell's videos, I need to purchase about $1,500 worth of tools. If I go by the tutorials on TOS, all I need is some pliers and maybe a punch or two.

What do you consider to be the absolute must-have tools for assembling and modifying AR-15s? I don't have a lot of money to spend, but I need to start somewhere.

Joe_Friday
01-26-09, 20:06
Not trying to be a smarta$$ but did you look here?

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7463

He has it pretty well broken down for you already on what is needed and what is good to have if you are going to be doing this a lot. Try the "Technical" section.

Paladin_139
01-27-09, 08:51
http://www.tacticalyellowvisor.net/8343/25301.html

rob_s
01-27-09, 09:25
In the short term, for assembling a lower, there is very little you need in the way of tools. I like having the front takedown pin tool, but there is a way to do even that with a home made bolt or something. I like to have the proper size of roll-pin punch but even that's not totally necessary.

Like most things, having the right tools makes the job go easier. How easy, and expensive, you want to make it is up to you.

For re-barreling or adding free float rails, you NEED a clamshell upper receiver block and a good quality barrel wrench, as well as whatever barrel wrench is required by the rail system you're installing (some systems have their own wrench). You also need moly grease for the re-assembly in order to do it right. Most rails will require you to remove the FSB and in that case you need an FSB bench block or you're either dick it up or get nowhere.

SecretAgentMan
01-27-09, 09:59
Thanks for the help, everyone!

USMC Tanker
01-27-09, 12:04
Vise, hammer, punch, and some oil...done deal.

SecretAgentMan
01-27-09, 12:09
Vise, hammer, punch, and some oil...done deal.

You know, that reminds me: I need to purchase (or possibly build) a sturdy workbench. Any recommendations?

Mung
01-27-09, 12:34
You know, that reminds me: I need to purchase (or possibly build) a sturdy workbench. Any recommendations?

I made this one out of the 2X4 Basics kit. I used oak for the top. Might have $150 into it. Highly recommended.
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll147/adroozz/IMG_6404.jpg

SecretAgentMan
01-27-09, 13:51
I made this one out of the 2X4 Basics kit. I used oak for the top. Might have $150 into it. Highly recommended.

Now that's an interesting kit. I'm definitely going to be looking into this. Thanks.

Buckaroo
01-27-09, 13:54
Now that's an interesting kit. I'm definitely going to be looking into this. Thanks.

I have one similar but mine is 36" x 96" Real Sturdy!

Buckaroo

Mung
01-27-09, 17:50

Good thing about it is you can make your depth and length anyway you'd like. Mine's 24" deep so it fits perfectly inside my shed up to the garage door.

rljatl
01-27-09, 18:24
In the short term, for assembling a lower, there is very little you need in the way of tools. I like having the front takedown pin tool, but there is a way to do even that with a home made bolt or something. I like to have the proper size of roll-pin punch but even that's not totally necessary.

Like most things, having the right tools makes the job go easier. How easy, and expensive, you want to make it is up to you.

For re-barreling or adding free float rails, you NEED a clamshell upper receiver block and a good quality barrel wrench, as well as whatever barrel wrench is required by the rail system you're installing (some systems have their own wrench). You also need moly grease for the re-assembly in order to do it right. Most rails will require you to remove the FSB and in that case you need an FSB bench block or you're either dick it up or get nowhere.

Will a clamshell upper receiver block make marks on the receiver? The LaRue video shows using one of those white blocks that is held with pins. Opinions?

kwelz
01-27-09, 18:51
I have always used a clamshell block. THe marks left on the receiver will rub out with a bit of oil. These things are polymer and are much softer than the upper is.
They also come with an insert to keep from deforming the upper when torque is applies.

JStor
01-27-09, 21:47
Is there more than one kind of clamshell upper clamp?

jdp710
01-27-09, 23:11
When installing the detents on your lower parts kit, be careful you don't shoot those across the room. I always found it easier to install those in a shower with the drain tapped closed. That way, if it does shoot away form you, it doesn't go very far.

1911pilot
01-29-09, 15:37

I've got a couple EAA Chapter 1000 workbenchs for my airplane building activities. Just about the sturdiest thing I've run across. (http://www.eaa1000.av.org/technicl/worktabl/tablefig.htm)

The legs and benchtop reinforcements are key, it can easily be scaled up from there.

Almost forgot, The surface is replaceable so when you screw it up by drilling too many holes in it you just need to drop another piece of plywood in it.

Larsin
01-29-09, 15:57
Here is a great workbench too that I will be building:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=howTo&p=Build/Workbench.html

Nevermind! After looking at the 2x4 Kit, it looks MUCH easier and is customizable.

Thanks!

SecretAgentMan
01-29-09, 16:55
I'm going to order some punches from Brownell's to work on my lower receivers (and a few other people's lower receivers as well). Should I get brass or steel?

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=364&title=ALIGNMENT%20&%20PUSH%20PUNCHES

10MMGary
01-29-09, 19:15
I'm going to order some punches from Brownell's to work on my lower receivers (and a few other people's lower receivers as well). Should I get brass or steel?

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=364&title=ALIGNMENT%20&%20PUSH%20PUNCHES

FWIW I have steel punches and brass tapping rods. I also bought the roll pin starter punches and the flat sided bolt catch pin punch.

MMcfpd
01-29-09, 22:28
Is there more than one kind of clamshell upper clamp?

Yes, some fold from the bottom and others fold from the top. A top folder may not work with a carry handle receiver.

If room's not a concern a more sophisticated workbench is great, but if you need the space for other things (like when my garage needs to really be a two car garage) this setup has worked well:
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/MMcfpd/worktable.jpg

Surprisingly stable, it's done several barrel changes and FSB removals, as well as everything else I've needed. And then it folds up and goes away.

Everything came from Lowe's.

Jack_Stroker
01-30-09, 01:17
I watched a friend of mine scratch the crap out of his AR-15 and get no where without the proper tools. Fortunately he didn't damage it too much. However, I purchased the correct tools for a build of mine and then we used them to do his the right way. Using the right tools makes working on these guns so much easier. Granted it will cost you but anything worth doing is worth doing right.

lanceriley
01-30-09, 07:45
ha! I just do my assembling of lowers sitting in the floor. and all I use is home made tools! home made punches using concrete nail as basic raw material.

Jack_Stroker
01-30-09, 12:32
ha! I just do my assembling of lowers sitting in the floor. and all I use is home made tools! home made punches using concrete nail as basic raw material.

Well for lowers you don't need anything special really. At least not much. I meant for uppers mainly. I haven't assembled a lower before. Just uppers.