PDA

View Full Version : Need a protein powder

rob_s
01-26-09, 20:22
I need to get back into shape, and for me that includes increasing my protein intake. I used to use the Pure Protein powder, but it's hard to find for whatever reason, and only seems to come in the 5 lbs jugs.

I'm looking for something with 20+ grams of whey protein, under 10 grams of carbs (preferably), with no sucralose or other artificial sweetener. I'd prefer to raise the carb limit than get the fake sugars. Oh, and I'd rather it came in a 2 lb jug.

Any suggestions?

texasyid
01-26-09, 20:29
I use muscle milk but there is a lot of stuff out there. two scoops will give you 32grams of protein. I put two scoops in some skim milk and add some yogurt. You can pretty much put anything you want in your protein drink (fruit etc.) and put it in a blender. Im interested to see what others use.

thopkins22
01-26-09, 20:34
I'm way out of shape, but when I was in shape and playing football I also liked Muscle Milk.

mark5pt56
01-26-09, 20:35
Please remember that your body can only utilze a certain amount of nutrients in a time frame. To my knowledge, 20-25 grams over a 2-3 hour period. Anything more is waste.

Derek_Connor
01-26-09, 20:38
One of the few powders that actually tastes good in water, and tastes REALLY good in skim milk....Get the "MINT CHOCOLATE" falvor... (http://www.optimumnutrition.com/products/100-whey-gold-standard-p-201.html)

Derek_Connor
01-26-09, 20:42
Please remember that your body can only utilze a certain amount of nutrients in a time frame. To my knowledge, 20-25 grams over a 2-3 hour period. Anything more is waste.

Not necessarily, while the body may not physically use the protein (depends on body weight), one of the most important things to do to keep your body in a anabolic state (rather than a catabolic) is keep your system flooded w/protein.

And not always "whey" protein or any other supplemental protein. Protein from different souces is important, meat/nuts/veggies/etc. If you are building muscle and looking for positive results in the gym from weight lifting, current sources suggest you ingest 1.5-2.25grams of protein per body lb a day.

zippygaloo
01-26-09, 20:42
Casein (animal protein found in many protein powders) has been said to be a carcinogen. I need to do more research on this myself.

rob_s
01-26-09, 20:44
Derek, any links to the actual ingredients on that stuff? I really need to make sure it doesn't have any artificial sweeteners to include sucralose and nutrasweet. I've found that some consider sucralose "natural" and will include it in the product even with an "all natural" label.

mark5pt56
01-26-09, 20:51
Not necessarily, while the body may not physically use the protein (depends on body weight), one of the most important things to do to keep your body in a anabolic state (rather than a catabolic) is keep your system flooded w/protein.

And not always "whey" protein or any other supplemental protein. Protein from different souces is important, meat/nuts/veggies/etc. If you are building muscle and looking for positive results in the gym from weight lifting, current sources suggest you ingest 1.5-2.25grams of protein per body lb a day.

That's why most trying to gain are eating every 2-3 hours

noctis
01-26-09, 20:53
I need to get back into shape, and for me that includes increasing my protein intake. I used to use the Pure Protein powder, but it's hard to find for whatever reason, and only seems to come in the 5 lbs jugs.

I'm looking for something with 20+ grams of whey protein, under 10 grams of carbs (preferably), with no sucralose or other artificial sweetener. I'd prefer to raise the carb limit than get the fake sugars. Oh, and I'd rather it came in a 2 lb jug.

Any suggestions?

In shape meaning leaning out?

Leaning out requires a significant intake of protein over carbohydrates. You would be replacing a lot of your carbohydrates post workout with.....your guessed it more protein.

Optimum Nutrition is great for what it is. I'd just get the big 10lb dog food bag anyways. You'll end up using it.

And if you're not already, make sure your adding your:
Daily Multi-vitamin
Glutamine
Liver Support

rob_s
01-26-09, 21:02
No, not leaning out. Unlike a lot of fatbodies, I stopped eating like a pig when I stopped working out, and I'm still "fit", just not as strong as I was. I'm 6'1" and down to about 160 vs. 180 a couple of years ago. Getting back into working out, and I need to feed the machine.

mark5pt56
01-26-09, 21:06
http://www.sn2g.com/news/news.php?eNews=16

Tom_Jones
01-26-09, 21:08
deleted

AirmanAtwood
01-26-09, 21:17
http://bodybuilding.com/store/proteinfinder.htm

Bodybuilding.com is one of the best websites for muscle building and fitness btw.

tradja
01-26-09, 21:19
In recent months, I have been working out for a PFT for a job. I was pretty pleased with the big 2lb drums of Trader Joe's Soy Protein Powder. I think it is $11.99. (or is it $9.99 :confused:)

It doesn't really dissolve well, but like texasyid says, it's better with yogurt and fruit in the blender. I used to do this but recently I just shake up a few scoops in a Nalgene with warm water and honey.

There is no sweetener at all, natural or artificial. I avoid artificial sweeteners as well.

Trader Joe's also has 1lb. drums of Whey Protein, but it is somewhat more expensive and is only in 1lb drums.

RESULTS: I was ingesting about 100g of this protein/day, along with several servings of venison a week. Mrs. Tradja reacted very favorably ;) to my improved muscle mass and definition, so I guess it works. (disclosure: other than venison, I don't really eat meat). I smoked the PFT with substantially improved scores over my pre-training baseline, but after a 8-month process, I didn't get the job on the last cut :(

Thinking back on all this, I would trade all this gritty, flavorless powder lb. for lb. for more venison. I assume you have a rifle... :D

BAC
01-26-09, 21:22
I use muscle milk but there is a lot of stuff out there. two scoops will give you 32grams of protein. I put two scoops in some skim milk and add some yogurt. You can pretty much put anything you want in your protein drink (fruit etc.) and put it in a blender. Im interested to see what others use.

God, muscle milk is bad... I'm trying plain GNC 100% whey protein. Blend with milk and a banana and you're golden for a protein drink that's actually almost pretty good. When the tub finally runs out, I'll try something different, but powders are routinely cheaper in the long run than pre-made drinks so I'll probably stick with that route.

-B

bkb0000
01-26-09, 21:23
For convenience, I used Mus-L-Blast from Fred Meyer nutrition center.. $20 bucks for a 2-gallon tub, tastes great, plenty of protein. I don't have any right now or I'd relay the nutrition info.

Fred Meyer is "Kroger" on the east coast, BTW

noctis
Again I made the largest size lean gains on Optimum Nutrition Whey.

I have used almost every type of popular protein powder and ON is probably the best bang for your buck. However it is mediocre tasting at best. 20g per serving, but I double up.

More-mass:
Protein shake 1 hour prior to workout
Add Creatine if it agrees with you + (up the water intake)
2 Tbsp Peanut Butter with a shake prior to rack ops (You want to slow down you metabolism while your sleeping, with the addition of the fats)
Remember Glutamine. chewables are fast and easy.

AirmanAtwood
If your gearing towards muscle growth Creatine is also a great supplement, as is Nitric oxide. But no matter how much protein shakes you down, you need to make sure its only SUPPLEMENTING your everyday food intake. Dont let it be your main protein supply. You generally only want to ingest protein shakes maybe 3 times a day.

AirmanAtwood
01-26-09, 21:24
God, muscle milk is bad... I'm trying plain GNC 100% whey protein. Blend with milk and a banana and you're golden for a protein drink that's actually almost pretty good. When the tub finally runs out, I'll try something different, but powders are routinely cheaper in the long run than pre-made drinks so I'll probably stick with that route.

-B

GNC brand protein is a waste of money other than their Wheybolic extreme 60.

bkb0000
01-26-09, 21:26
If your gearing towards muscle growth Creatine is also a great supplement, as is Nitric oxide. But no matter how much protein shakes you down, you need to make sure its only SUPPLEMENTING your everyday food intake. Dont let it be your main protein supply. You generally only want to ingest protein shakes maybe 3 times a day.

and keep track of your protein intake from other foods- too much protein for your bulking needs can actually be pretty bad for you. been a while since i took HPE295, i can't remember exactly WHY it's bad, but it is.

BAC
01-26-09, 21:27

I've noticed. It's helped... marginally, but again, I've got a tub of the stuff and I'm gonna use it before I move on.

-B

AirmanAtwood
01-26-09, 21:27
and keep track of your protein intake from other foods- too much protein for your bulking needs can actually be pretty bad for you. been a while since i took HPE295, i can't remember exactly WHY it's bad, but it is.

If you ingest more protein than your body needs to repair muscle it makes you fat :D

ETA: the thing that ppl say about it giving you medical problems in the liver or kidneys *cant remember which off the top of my head* but this for people who ingest MASSIVE amounts of protein. The average male looking to gain muscle should take in about 1.5 to 2 grams of protein per every pound of body weight. This amount of protein wont have adverse affects to your health if you are exercising regularly.

AirmanAtwood
01-26-09, 21:32
I spent my junior and senior year of high school as a full time bodybuilder. In that time I'v gone through alot of protein and the ones i like the most were, BSN's Syntha 6, Gaspari Myofusion, Muscletech nitro tech hardcore, and muscle milk. My biggest gains were with syntha 6. But i wasnt only taking in protein shakes, i also had cycles of Muscletech nanovapor and gaspari's plasmajet. I also had a diet heavy in lean chicken and veggies.

When gaining muscle your diet plays a large role in gains or losses. Just be sure to be consistent.

yrac
01-26-09, 21:38

I've also found GNC to be significantly overpriced. Once you've settled on a specific powder you like, check pricing and availability at DPS Nutrition (http://www.dpsnutrition.com).

noctis
01-26-09, 21:39

Its your liver. Extreme excess of Protein can cause it to shut down.

Which is why it is important that since you are working out your LIVER so hard you need to take a LIVER SUPPORT. ESPECIALLY if you consume alcohol.

Livr-X, Milk Thistle, whatever. If doesn't hurt to head off eventual health problems including possible liver failure.

bundoc
01-26-09, 21:53
I have been taking optimum nutrition gold standard for about 6 years now and it has aided in building lean muscle very well. Unfortunately, I just looked at the ingredients and it has sucralose.

I usually just buy the 10lb bags from bulknutrition which currently has free shipping with a code or bodybuilding.

Leonidas
01-26-09, 22:05
I would just check with your local health food store. Around my neck of the woods we have Raisin Rack, they have the whole line of natural and organic protein powders. Most goat protein powders have all natural ingredients.
One of the better protein blends on the market is Probolic by MHP, it contains a blend of whey, casein and soy proteins. The only downside for you is that it contains sucralose, but it is the very last ingredient listed so the content is minimal.

BH1
01-27-09, 00:11

Any suggestions?
If you're not locked into needing to pick it up at a local store check proteinfactory.com. You select the type you want, select your flavor and sweetener if any, chose how many pounds you want to order. The more carbs in your protein powder the lower grade of whey you're dealing with. Taste and texture is what makes most customers like a certain brand regardless of the actual purity of the protein. That's why they use all the additional ingredients. If you're looking for a really clean protein you won't find it at GNC.

Look over the webste or give them a call at (800) 343-1803. Didn't even need to look it up. Been a customer since 1999. Met the owner a few years ago. Great company to do business with.

QuickStrike
01-27-09, 00:11
I'm taking Jay Robb's Egg protein in chocolate. The whey stuff seem to wreak havoc on my skin.

Not working that well for me right now, my high metabolism makes it hard to gain.

Looking at gainers now.

system60
01-27-09, 01:46
www.atlargenutrition.com Nitrean is a good mix of fast (whey) and slow (casein) digesting proteins

www.allthewhey.com

www.trueprotein.com

Disciple
01-27-09, 02:09

Any suggestions?

Rob, I just got a new protein powder and I had basically the same requirements, specifically no artificial sweeteners over what I had been using.
I chose Iron-Tek Natural 100% Protein. (http://www.vitacost.com/Iron-Tek-Essential-Natural-100-Protein-Chocolate-Fudge)

Yields 22/4/2 grams of protein/carbs/fats
Sweetened with stevia
Doesn't to give me gas or indigestion
Good flavor (chocolate fudge)
Fair price

I am uncertain of the proportions of the "protein blend" and its absorption rate.

rob_s
01-27-09, 04:21
I'm curious, since I am largely ignorant of such things, what's the problem with artificial sweeteners such as sucralose?

The biggest one is allergies (there are others, but that's the most critical). All of the artificials, to include the ones supposedly "made from real sugar" give me massive migraines.

Also, I don't need much in the way of sweetener because I'm always going to be mixing this with milk, fruit, peanut butter, and other ingredients that can make up for some of the bad taste.

rob_s
01-27-09, 04:24
Rob, I just got a new protein powder and I had basically the same requirements, specifically no artificial sweeteners over what I had been using.
I chose Iron-Tek Natural 100% Protein. (http://www.vitacost.com/Iron-Tek-Essential-Natural-100-Protein-Chocolate-Fudge)

Yields 22/4/2 grams of protein/carbs/fats
Sweetened with stevia
Doesn't to give me gas or indigestion
Good flavor (chocolate fudge)
Fair price

I am uncertain of the proportions of the "protein blend" and its absorption rate.

I like the look of that stuff. Wish it what whey though. Good idea on the stevia.

30 cal slut
01-27-09, 07:06
In recent months, I have been working out for a PFT for a job. I was pretty pleased with the big 2lb drums of Trader Joe's Soy Protein Powder. I think it is $11.99. (or is it $9.99 :confused:)

It doesn't really dissolve well, but like texasyid says, it's better with yogurt and fruit in the blender. I used to do this but recently I just shake up a few scoops in a Nalgene with warm water and honey.

There is no sweetener at all, natural or artificial. I avoid artificial sweeteners as well.

Trader Joe's also has 1lb. drums of Whey Protein, but it is somewhat more expensive and is only in 1lb drums.

RESULTS: I was ingesting about 100g of this protein/day, along with several servings of venison a week. Mrs. Tradja reacted very favorably ;) to my improved muscle mass and definition, so I guess it works. (disclosure: other than venison, I don't really eat meat). I smoked the PFT with substantially improved scores over my pre-training baseline, but after a 8-month process, I didn't get the job on the last cut :(

Thinking back on all this, I would trade all this gritty, flavorless powder lb. for lb. for more venison. I assume you have a rifle... :D

LOL. The Trader Joe's flavorless powder is okay, but I'd rather gnaw on freshly murdered venison myself.

LDM
01-27-09, 07:35
Tried several powders and evolved to egg whites.

Egg whites are a simpler, old school solution (and you do no need an advanced bio-med degree to know what is going into you). Pretty much taste neutral.

2 oz. of egg white, scoop of chocolate Ovaltine, spoon of yogurt, and 6-8 oz of skim milk works for me.

Check refrigerated section of grocery store for pasteurized egg whites. They come in pint and quart containers that look like a milk carton.

The only down side is that this is a refrigerated product and must be used within a week. They freeze well, though.

YMMV

Stay safe.

Disciple
01-27-09, 07:47
I am certain I have read that eating raw eggs in quantity is contraindicated for lasting health; something about an indigestibility resulting in a nutrient deficiency, IIRC, but I am unable to be more specific, and I cannot say if it affects eating whites alone.

Disciple
01-27-09, 07:51
Wish it what whey though.

May I ask why? There is mixed opinion on protein sources, including the value or lack thereof of powder in general, but recent inclination has been away from whey isolate toward "micellar casein" from what I have observed.

trunkmonkey
01-27-09, 09:00
Here you go. Pick what fits you. And keep in mind the most important time to take protein is immediately after a workout, asap.

LSK
01-27-09, 09:07
Rob,
Check out IronMind.com I have not used their protein powder but there strength training gear is first class.

Derek_Connor
01-27-09, 09:09
Rob,

The ingredients on the Optimum Nutrition Mint Chocolate are:

Protein Blend (whey protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, whey peptides), Cocoa (processed w/Alkali), Natural Flavor, Lecithin, Acesulfame Potassium, Salt, Aminogen, Lactase)

120 calories per seving, 24g of Protein per serving, 3g of Carbohydrates (1g of Sugar)

Phone # is 630-236-0097 if you have more specific questions..

Someone above recommended Creatine and NO (nitrous oxide supplements)

Creatine has been proven to be safe with proper tracking/hydration and medical check ups.

BUT - avoid anything to do with NO or anyting regarding increasing Nitrogen type supplements like the ****ing plague. They are unsafe for your vascular system and do not do much in regards to building muscle mass.

rob_s
01-27-09, 09:11
May I ask why? There is mixed opinion on protein sources, including the value or lack thereof of powder in general, but recent inclination has been away from whey isolate toward "micellar casein" from what I have observed.

It's what I'm used to.

One of the reasons I want smaller container sizes right now is that I want to make sure that whatever product I choose agrees with me. I've had some stuff in the past give me the shits like nobody's business. I know that whey works for me, and doesn't make me sick.

Derek_Connor
01-27-09, 09:27
Here you go. Pick what fits you. And keep in mind the most important time to take protein is immediately after a workout, asap.

This goes for ANY workout as well, cardio or weight lifting.

Cardio is EXTREMELY catabolic (breaks down muscles), one way to combat that is to keep the protein and nitrogen balances in your body positive after cardio, so take a protein shake. Flooding your system w/protein after cardio will force your body to preserve the muscle mass as it is, and instead, burn adipose tissue (fat cells)

It is also very important (if you want to take it to the 'next level') that after a weight lifting routine that you flood your body with protein to put it back into an anabolic state. A way to naturally enhance this is to spike your blood sugar levels along w/your protein shake. Going against popular mantra, after a workout, your muscles are burning any glycogen they have in there cell bodies, instead of being force fed the shitty simple sugars from the pepsi, coke, and anything else that hurts us.

While your body is burning that glycogen, it is looking for something else to burn, and insulin is the "taxi cab" for the complex amino acids (protein you just ate) that allows the cells to influx with, so the body begins to burn something else...fat.

So spike your protein drink after the weight room with some grape juice, or sweet tarts (anything with basic natural sugar or maltodextrin)

jakeb
01-27-09, 10:10
+10 for Optimum Nutrition products.

Being a competitive Mountain Biker...I've been using plenty of brands of stuff over the years...Optimum has been by far the best tasting (w/water), easiest to digest, and most reasonably priced. They do not sponsor me...so no endorsement bologna here.

Their Gold Standard Whey Protein is EXCELLENT...and their triple blend proteins are amazing for an overnight recovery protein.

jakeb
01-27-09, 10:15
This goes for ANY workout as well, cardio or weight lifting.

Cardio is EXTREMELY catabolic (breaks down muscles), one way to combat that is to keep the protein and nitrogen balances in your body positive after cardio, so take a protein shake. Flooding your system w/protein after cardio will force your body to preserve the muscle mass as it is, and instead, burn adipose tissue (fat cells)

It is also very important (if you want to take it to the 'next level') that after a weight lifting routine that you flood your body with protein to put it back into an anabolic state. A way to naturally enhance this is to spike your blood sugar levels along w/your protein shake. Going against popular mantra, after a workout, your muscles are burning any glycogen they have in there cell bodies, instead of being force fed the shitty simple sugars from the pepsi, coke, and anything else that hurts us.

While your body is burning that glycogen, it is looking for something else to burn, and insulin is the "taxi cab" for the complex amino acids (protein you just ate) that allows the cells to influx with, so the body begins to burn something else...fat.

So spike your protein drink after the weight room with some grape juice, or sweet tarts (anything with basic natural sugar or maltodextrin)

A very effective solution for post workout is the following:

1 serving immediately after workout:

http://www.optimumnutrition.com/products/preload-creatine-complex-p-235.html

Allow 30 minutes for ingestion but do not go past the 120 mark post workout without a serving of this:

http://www.optimumnutrition.com/products/after-max-p-223.html

Most of my 5 days a week of workouts are a mix of cardio, strength, and mass gaining exercises. This has kept me at peak fitness for the past 3 years and competing in the Nationals every year.

sestvold
01-27-09, 12:00
First post!! I don't know anything about firearms, but I know strength training and nutrition.

I've found the best online resource to be www.t-nation.com. As a result I try to pimp there products whenever I can.

These products are not sold at t-nation, but I've used them in the past. I've used the optimum nutrition 100% whey, and the GNC 100% whey before. Not sure how it stands now, but I know both of those products get their whey protein from the same source. The rest of the formula is slightly different. Both taste ok.

My favorite proteins are from the previous mentioned t-nation. They are a website run by a supplement company named Biotest. There protein products are called Metabolic Drive. I think the taste is outstanding.

As others said, you want a different type of protein for different times of the day. Your post workout protein will be different than proteins used to supplement at other times of the day.

Mr.Goodtimes
01-27-09, 12:27
i love muscle milk, tastes good, is good and works good. I like to mix chocolate muscle milk with vanilla muscle milk, a frozen banana, 2% milk and some raw oatmeal, comes out awesome!

DKircher
01-27-09, 13:24
Someone in the thread mentioned Gold Standard, and from everyone in the industry they seem to make a good product. This is the product I take before bed, my old trainer said that its more of a 'time-release' formula so it stays with you & works longer -

http://store.bsnonline.net/detail/syntha6.html

Remember, especially in supplements, you get what you pay for. I find Syntha-6 locally & online for about $29.

Good luck Rob.

DBautista
01-27-09, 16:24
I use this:

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp;jsessionid=VQE3P5TCWHMU4CQUC4YFAFQKCQL00UNE?id=XN-1006

It works wonders after 50+ mile bike ride or a half marathon. Perfect for recovery.

AirmanAtwood
01-27-09, 16:39
If your truley looking to gain some size i would def consider you keeping up a higher carb count. Gainer formulas will help add that size to you. BSN's True Size, MHP Up your Mass. For everday protein I still say gaspari's myofusion is still the best iv tried so far. Im on my 3rd month with it. right now im trying to retain my size while increasing muscle performace because im getting ready for Combat Control school after i get done with basic. I'm 5'9 175 lbs with 9% BF and with the constant running/swimming the myofusion helps me retain my size very well..

AirmanAtwood
01-27-09, 16:41
Just out of curiosity, are you currently taking a multivitamin?

Mr.Goodtimes
01-27-09, 19:31
weight gainers are just over rated cake batter, and a complete waste of money. I take a protein shake right after a work out and thats it... aside from that i just eat good food, and a lot of it. Carbs are crucial for energy and brain function. By just eating healthy and getting a good work out plan, there is no need to cut carbs, it could actually be counter productive. I eat somewhere in the area of about 300g of carbs a day... alot of oatmeal and some pasta for lunch/dinner. For protein I eat alot of chicken breast, fish, tuna, and of course, steak when i can afford it :D. I eat at least one potato a day too, usually a baked one with breakfast or with lunch. All i drink is water, and a glass of OJ pre workout in the morning. My daily calorie intake ends up bein about 5k a day, 4k on a slow day.

Obviously since your older and your metabolism is slower your going to need less calories, but dont go on a crash diet! just try and eat good foods 5 or 6 times a day. Meet, vegetables, carbs, and work out hard! bust your ass in the gym! if you leave the gym feelin anything less than a little funny in the head, it wasnt a good work out :)

Its important that your body get enough good cals in order to replenish it self, if you dont get enough cals in, you will only become weaker and feel crummy!

For me this is really easy to tell, if im not eating enough, my lifts will all suck.

Good luck on your program! PM me if you want any help on some work out plans etc. ill be glad to give advice help!

-Ryan

Disciple
01-27-09, 21:21
A lot of people are recommending products that contain artificial sweeteners, which the OP specifically stated he wishes to avoid. You may wish to check your labels again if you believe you are not ingesting these sweeteners.

Peruse this article (http://t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=659666) for an alternate perspective. (note: t-nation site mildly NSFW)

Disciple
01-27-09, 21:35
It's what I'm used to.

One of the reasons I want smaller container sizes right now is that I want to make sure that whatever product I choose agrees with me. I've had some stuff in the past give me the shits like nobody's business. I know that whey works for me, and doesn't make me sick.

Been there, done that. I am not using protein powder in large quantities at this point, but so far the Iron-Tek has not been a problem for me. Of course that is an individual thing, but it comes in 1.9lb cans and Vitacost has $5 flat rate shipping, so it is not too costly to try it yourself.

.357sigger
01-27-09, 21:39
Muscle milk light....25 grams of protein and only 6 grams of fat...plus a bunch of other good nutrients....compared to the reg which has 32/18

BushmasterFanBoy
01-27-09, 21:48
Gold Standard 100% Whey, by ON.

I prefer the Vanilla Cream flavor.
I've had a Cookies and Cream flavor, but didn't really care for it.
Like you, I was skeptical about whether or not I would like it and the way it would sit with my stomach. I had a buddy let me try his for awhile and it seemed to work well.
I bought a 10lbs. bag from the Vitamin Shoppe. I'm not a fitness expert, but I do lift. This stuff seems to work well.
Good luck!

system60
01-28-09, 15:58
If you really want to stay away from artificial sweeteners www.trueprotein.com gives you your choice of which is any at all. You can also ask them to do double flavors for the Non premium flavors. (Premium flavors have sweeteners in them)

I don't remember which artificial sweeteners the premium flavors use but it's no as sweet as Optimum nutrition so it might be worth a shot to get a pound or 2 of a premium flavor and some of a regular flavor w/o sweeteners.

WillBrink
02-11-09, 08:10

Any suggestions?

Rob, The Life Extension Foundation has CFM whey isolate (the good stuff btw) with less then 1g of fat per serving, in 2lb jug with a small amount of stevia in it. See:

http://www.lef.org/Vitamins-Supplements/Item00379/Enhanced-Life-Extension-Whey-Protein-vanilla.html

- Will

JAXM4
02-11-09, 09:38
Check out BSN Syntha-6. It's Aspartame free I know and it taste good, also you don't have to mix a lot of water with it like some other powders. Check out DPS Nutrition online as they have some of the best prices I have found. Hope this helps.

Impact
02-11-09, 10:02
Hit the gym and try Kettle Bell and Cross Fit. Stick to it and you'll be a lean and mean machine in few months. Just eat a lot of chicken :)

Rexaroonie
02-11-09, 10:56
I've used Met-RX off and on for years, plenty of protien plus some vitamins and minerals.

WillBrink
02-11-09, 11:06
Someone above recommended Creatine and NO (nitrous oxide supplements)

Nitric Oxide. Nitrous is the stuff used to knock you out at the dentist.

Creatine has been proven to be safe with proper tracking/hydration and medical check ups.

True enough. However, creatine is banned in some cases, so those in in mil should check first before using creatine

BUT - avoid anything to do with NO or anyting regarding increasing Nitrogen type supplements like the ****ing plague.

You're confusing nitrogen with Nitric oxide (NO), the latter is formed from the amino acid arginine via citruline. Two different animals.

They are unsafe for your vascular system and do not do much in regards to building muscle mass.

I don't believe anyone has shown arginine supps (which is what's used to increase NO in such supps) has been found dangerous to the vascular system of healthy people, but it's also been shown such supps do exactly nadda for actually adding muscle mass or strength, so more a waste of $$$$ then dangerous per se.

AirmanAtwood
02-11-09, 11:54
Nitric Oxide. Nitrous is the stuff used to knock you out at the dentist.

True enough. However, creatine is banned in some cases, so those in in mil should check first before using creatine

You're confusing nitrogen with Nitric oxide (NO), the latter is formed from the amino acid arginine via citruline. Two different animals.

I don't believe anyone has shown arginine supps (which is what's used to increase NO in such supps) has been found dangerous to the vascular system of healthy people, but it's also been shown such supps do exactly nadda for actually adding muscle mass or strength, so more a waste of $$$$ then dangerous per se.

Correct, Arginine *the magical NO ingredient* Is shown to be fine for healthy individuals. I'v been cycling NO products for years and the Doc says i'm as healthy as can be. In fact, NO products are very good for you in exercise as they allow more flow of nutrients to your muscles. Besides, if it was bad for you, you'd already be dead as arginine is a natural occuring amino acid.