PDA

View Full Version : Anyone attempt large amount of weight loss?

Kaos
01-27-09, 09:58
I used to ride bmx and skateboard and all that until I was injured from "going big" so many times that my insurance (and parents too) said that I wouldn't be covered anymore.

After this I basically entered the highschool/college party/do nothing phase and for lack of putting it any more bluntly became a fatass.

During this time I finished my degree and work at a desk on computers/servers all day long...so that doesn't help. Recently I've been wanting to lose this weight.

Im 6'1" and weigh 295 (I know, fatass...right?) but wanted to see if anyone here has overcome this before.

I don't eat junk food really at all, I think it's the pepsi etc that gets me. Lately since I got married and got our own place and money is tighter I have been cooking a lot more and I know that's a step away from eating out so much. Last week I made homemade chicken noodle soup, homemade asian chicken noodles, and also made some beef tips.

I've been contemplating working out like I used to in high school, time is just very pressing and I figured I could start with a diet first.

Any tips/suggestions?

rmecapn
01-27-09, 10:03
Any tips/suggestions?

Patience, perseverance, and 1200-1500 calories per day. Thirty minutes per day of a good cardio exercise is also encouraged.

Dr.Doom
01-27-09, 10:05
Ive read that muscle burns fat, so the more lean mustle you can build, the more fat you will burn. If you dont like running I strongly suggest Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. 5 minutes of "rolling" in this sport will make you feel like you ran miles. No joke.

Cutting out the pepsi and drinking water instead will be a tremendous help. You could probably lose more weight than you think by just cutting the soda out of your diet.

Also, decrease the size of your daily meals and increase the number of meals you eat. This will increase your metabolism. Breakfast is a must. If you dont have time, have a protien shake.

Good luck.

B

AirTrafficControl
01-27-09, 10:06
Replace two of your daily meals with a lowcalorie shake and a bowl of quality cereal. Take your free time and walk, ride a bike to work if possible. You need to burn more calories than you eat. I dropped 60 pounds training for the military. I went from being a solid 215 lifting weights to a lean mean fighting machine of 155 by cutting calories and dlrunning and swimming in about three months. You can do it but it takes commitment and not buying bullshit at the grocery store...ATC

Gutshot John
01-27-09, 10:13
It's what we've all had to deal with as we get older. I'm mildly hypoglycemic so that's another issue for some of us. Having come from a family of great cooks, I learned to enjoy good food and how to make it. I eat well, but ultimately healthy. I have low cholesterol but that may be due to my genes.

Take it slow, ease yourself into a routine, there is no rush and you don't want to get hurt. Take the first month and just stretch and get flexible and take a long walk. After that month you can commit to a more intensive workout regime.

You're making the right choices in terms of diet (though you may want to cut the noodles). Eating like a rabbit isn't a realistic solution for most of us. Learning to cook is the way to go and you'll learn to make meals you enjoy that are healthy. I love to cook and have years of good recipes (that just happen to be good for you) so if you like some type of food let me know and I'll send you some.

Ditch the soda, that's diabetes in a can. Having one a week isn't a big deal. Having 2 a day is. Giving up coke classic was a bitch.

Eat a lot of salad but ditch the store-bought dressing. You can make a variety of vinagrettes, depending on your tastes, from a basic formula. 2/3 part oil (olive, veg), 1/3 acid (vinegar, citrus) and throw in some garlic, salt, pepper to taste. Using red-wine and/or balsamic vinegar you can add a teaspoon of dijon mustard to thicken it and give it bite. You don't even have to refrigerate if you keep it covered.

Avoid anything in a supermarket marked "low-fat" (yes I did say that). Invariably this means they took out fat and added sugar...usually some gawdawful synthetic sugar nonsense.

Don't be afraid to eat satisfying foods. Just cut down on portion size. Pick one night a week for you and your wife to go out and enjoy a good meal...then split it between you.

If you like to drink, stick to red wine. It's good for you and will help with your cholesterol if that's an issue.

Kaos
01-27-09, 10:14
Replace two of your daily meals with a lowcalorie shake and a bowl of quality cereal. Take your free time and walk, ride a bike to work if possible. You need to burn more calories than you eat. I dropped 60 pounds training for the military. I went from being a solid 215 lifting weights to a lean mean fighting machine of 155 by cutting calories and dlrunning and swimming in about three months. You can do it but it takes commitment and not buying bullshit at the grocery store...ATC

I eat cheerios with a banana sliced over it every morning now, I enjoy it.

Im thinking the pepsi will be the biggest cut, as I drink far too much. I have to tend to my wife right now, so any exercising will likely take place in home (she's very very very sick right now). I figure I can do sit ups, crunches, push ups while we're together in the evening after kiddo goes to sleep.

I don't smoke or drink so that's a plus...I just hate the taste of salad (ha).

Gutshot John
01-27-09, 10:22

Veg. in general? or just leafy greens?

Salad doesn't have to be lettuce. Bean salads, tomato salads, slaws all kinds of variations on the theme.

Your mom was right...eat your vegetables they go well with a nice steak. :)

Dr.Doom
01-27-09, 10:25
I eat cheerios with a banana sliced over it every morning now, I enjoy it.

Im thinking the pepsi will be the biggest cut, as I drink far too much. I have to tend to my wife right now, so any exercising will likely take place in home (she's very very very sick right now). I figure I can do sit ups, crunches, push ups while we're together in the evening after kiddo goes to sleep.

Hope your wife gets better. And also, dont "ping pong." Its were you lose a bunch of weight and then add it on and this trend repeats over and over again. Its bad for your heart.

Kaos
01-27-09, 10:29
Veg. in general? or just leafy greens?

Salad doesn't have to be lettuce. Bean salads, tomato salads, slaws all kinds of variations on the theme.

Your mom was right...eat your vegetables they go well with a nice steak. :)

I love veggies...carrots, celery, beans...I just hate lettuce/cabbage unless it's got chicken and possibly ranch on it...then I can tolerate it.

Im likely going to make vegatable soup either tomorrow or thursday.

I'll have to start poking around some recipes online.

eta: just made lunch - chicken with some seasoning, some red potatoes cooked with the chicken and some rice. Hopefully it's a good start, wife went out to pick our daughter up from school and brought back some bottled water until the filter can be installed again. It starts today!

Gutshot John
01-27-09, 10:37
I love veggies...carrots, celery, beans...I just hate lettuce/cabbage unless it's got chicken and possibly ranch on it...then I can tolerate it.

Im likely going to make vegatable soup either tomorrow or thursday.

I'll have to start poking around some recipes online.

Consider grilling a lot as it's one of the healthiest ways to cook. Use a little spice rub on ribs or a chicken breast or a vinegar marinade on a steak and you've got a very healthy meal.

If you must have ranch on leafy greens, consider diluting it with a 2/3 oil, 1/3 vinegar mixture. You get the same flavor and minimize the calories. Avoid low-fat ranch like the plague. Get the real stuff.

Here's a favorite of mine...

Grilled Zucchini:

Cut a zuke diagonally into 1" thick slices. brush with olive oil and sprinkle a little salt and pepper. Grill 1-2 minutes a side. Sprinkle with lemon juice, serve.

rob_s
01-27-09, 10:40
You're right about the sodas. People don't realize just how bad they are.

Start drinking nothing but water and you'll see some results just from that.

Remember that your body is a machine. You need to eat to your level of activity. You can be sedentary and not be fat, if you tailor your diet to your activity level.

Check out The Zone, best nutrition plan I've seen, and Body for Life if you get into combining it with a workout program.

ST911
01-27-09, 10:44
I lost 80 pounds a few years ago using Atkins. A friend did about 50lbs doing South Beach, and another did about the same using Weight Watchers. We've all kept it off to date with minor seasonal fluctuations (+/-10lbs).

Whatever program or method you choose, their cores are fundamentally the same: Eliminate or limit junk foods. Moderation in all others. Exercise.

Involve your doctor early in the process. If you're looking at losing a lot of weight, which it looks like you are, you'll want him to baseline you at the start and monitor you throughout.

I would NOT recommend cutting back to 1200-1500 calories a day. Though it seems odd, you need to eat to lose weight to keep your metabolism in gear, and to promote healthy eating habits that will endure. Crash dieting with drastically reduced calories (and cals are not the only important variable) will require an equally drastic shift when you near the finish line.

It's also important that you satisfy the occasional craving. Eat a piece of cake when you want, but make it small and make it infrequent.

As you diet, log everything you eat. I created spreadsheets with caloric and carbohydrate contents so I knew where I was every day. I also had the nutritional guides for most of what I ate, and places I ate, downloaded on my PDA.

Different personality types will have more success with some methods than others. You'll find that most folks that had significant losses, and kept them off, used more structured programs and comparatively more discipline throughout.

Good luck.

Gutshot John
01-27-09, 10:50
Another suggestion is to stop thinking of it as a "diet".

You need to make it a lifestyle change which is why you have to experiment and find foods that are not only healthy, but you enjoy eating. It won't work if you feel like you're depriving yourself.

Formal diets are usually a sure-fire way to yo-yo. Atkins is not something I'd recommend as it can lead to health problems in some people. The South Beach cookbook has some great recipes to use however, but it stresses that you can't just go on and off. South Beach is more about changing how you eat instead of dieting. It's high protein and low (not no) carb with lots and lots of veg.

You mentioned chicken salad...

Grilled Chicken Salad:

- Brush a chicken breast with your favorite fat-based dressing (ranch) as it will keep the breast moist.
- 5 minutes a side on your grill (or broiler if you have one) then cover with aluminum foil and let rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Slice it up and over your favorite salad.

This is a great meal to cook if you don't have a lot of time. It's way easy.

Failure2Stop
01-27-09, 10:51
A few years ago I discovered that I had acquired a large sum of fat that was slowing me down and holding me back. Diet and exercise seemed to get no result, no matter how much I pushed.

So I divorced her :eek:.
All better now. :D

rob_s
01-27-09, 10:55
Another suggestion is to stop thinking of it as a "diet".

You need to make it a lifestyle change which is why you have to experiment and find foods that are not only healthy, but you enjoy eating. It won't work if you feel like you're depriving yourself.

Formal diets are usually a sure-fire way to yo-yo.

This is why I like the Zone. It's a nutrition plan, not a "diet". You calculate your needed intake based on weight, activity level, etc. and then eat in the amounts and proportions the plan tells you to. Become more sedentary? Recalculate and reduce intake. Become more active? Recalculate and increase intake.

Gutshot John
01-27-09, 11:13
This is why I like the Zone. It's a nutrition plan, not a "diet". You calculate your needed intake based on weight, activity level, etc. and then eat in the amounts and proportions the plan tells you to. Become more sedentary? Recalculate and reduce intake. Become more active? Recalculate and increase intake.

I've only heard of the zone and didn't check it out until you mentioned it. Some of those recipes look very good just from a taste perspective and should be quite healthy. With the exception of protein powders/energy bars I'm skeptical of pre-packaged meals as it's mostly marketing and invariably taste like MREs.

I will say that I don't think anyone needs to buy their official "organic olive oil" in this economy. The generic kind you get at your local store is almost the exact same. Extra virgin for salad dressings/marinades. Use the regular/cheaper/clearer kind for cooking.

rob_s
01-27-09, 11:15
Yeah, I wouldn't buy official anything.

Even when we did Body for Life, we got off the EAS products with the quickness and stuck to either real food or cheaper alternatives that gave us the same nutrition.

Magsz
01-27-09, 12:42
Gutshot john hit the nail right on the head.

You cannot diet and win. If you go on a "diet" as a temporary means to lose weight you will be right back on that "diet" in a year or two.

The key to losing weight is to change your lifestyle for the better. Increase your activity level, cut out sugars en masse and stop drinking soda.

Input must=output.

I lost over 100 pounds several years ago after deciding that i wanted to do more than just sit around and stare at a computer screen. It was hard, really hard. It took a hell of a lot of effort on my part and its something that i struggle with every day.

Both of my parents are overweight and lead sedentary lifestyles. My mother eats as healthy as can be, my father...yeah, hes a junkfoodaholic. Ive learned from their mistakes and i do everything in my power to apply that knowledge to my daily life.

Here are some pointers i can give you.

1. Try not to count calories. This will drive you INSANE for the rest of your life unless you are extremely self disciplined, ie monkish kind of levels of self restraint. What i would do when you are just starting out is to make a food log. See what you're eating on a daily basis before making any changes and count the calories. See which foods are taking up a HUGE chunk of your caloric intake and get rid of them or reduce the amount that you are eating. Make a conscious decision to look at the amount of food that is contributing so many calories to your diet and say to yourself "ok, i must eat less or this or do away with it". After you've mapped out what you need to change see #2 on my list. :)

2. Eat sensibly. I find that you can eat as much of what you want (within reason) so long as you're eating the right foods. Cottage cheese, lean proteins, fruits, vegetables, natural yogurt, skim milk, etc, etc. Also, reducing your caloric intake to 1200-1500 is way too little for an active man, WAY too little. You're going to end up burning muscle mass and you're going to find it very hard to do anything strenuous, ie lift weights without proper nutrition.

3. Treat yourself in moderation. A slice of pizza is good for you, its got a ton of protein, good fats and enough carbs to supply you with energy. Three slices of pizza=bad!

4. Try not to do more than 30 minutes of cardio exercise every day. After 30 minutes you start to burn muscle instead of fat.

5. LIFT WEIGHTS. I cannot stress this enough. Muscle burns more calories and eats fat like oprah at a cookie festival. When i dont have access to weights i literally throw some dumbells into my eagle AIII assault pack and go walk/jog around the neighorhood. Its hell on the shoulders but with enough padding its quite strenuous and not terribly uncomfortable.

6. Make these changes as permanent additions to your life. Diets do not work, you will lose the weight and then gain it back when you go back to your old life style.

I am dealing with this now. I work for myself and my activity level has decreased exponentially, ive put on 20 pounds although thankfully ive retained the muscle that i had gained while lifting weights so i dont feel too out of shape. Its a struggle and its going to be a struggle for your entire life. Just know that it is 100% worth it to ensure that you are doing everything on your part to maintain your health.

As cheesy as it sounds, every time you walk up a flight of stairs without getting winded it is a small victory. Every time you go urban prone or pull off that shot from around cover due to core strength it is a victory. If you are more than just a recreational shooter and your life may depend on your firearm staying in tip top shape could do more than just make you feel confident. It could save your life in more ways than one.

Go out there and do it, you will feel better and your quality of life will be vastly improved.

zippygaloo
01-27-09, 12:42
1. Stop drinking sugar soda.
2. Drink coffee.
3. Don't eat at night.
4. Eat smaller portions or not at all.
5. Buy yourself an elliptical.
6. In general, move a lot.

bkb0000
01-27-09, 13:08
i took a great class in college that was half lecture half lab.. one day we'd learn about health and fitness in a classroom, the next we'd put it into action in the gym. learned a ton, and watched a lot of disgusting fatbodies lean up.

you might check with your local community college and see if they have something like this available.

Caeser25
01-27-09, 18:08
I lost 45lbs since last march.

1. cardio in the morning on an empty stomach.
2. eat smaller portions and more often.
that's about it for me, I didn't drink pop or even eat junk.

dutch308
01-27-09, 18:19
I lost 80 pounds a few years ago using Atkins. A friend did about 50lbs doing South Beach, and another did about the same using Weight Watchers. We've all kept it off to date with minor seasonal fluctuations (+/-10lbs).

Whatever program or method you choose, their cores are fundamentally the same: Eliminate or limit junk foods. Moderation in all others. Exercise.

Involve your doctor early in the process. If you're looking at losing a lot of weight, which it looks like you are, you'll want him to baseline you at the start and monitor you throughout.

I would NOT recommend cutting back to 1200-1500 calories a day. Though it seems odd, you need to eat to lose weight to keep your metabolism in gear, and to promote healthy eating habits that will endure. Crash dieting with drastically reduced calories (and cals are not the only important variable) will require an equally drastic shift when you near the finish line.

It's also important that you satisfy the occasional craving. Eat a piece of cake when you want, but make it small and make it infrequent.

As you diet, log everything you eat. I created spreadsheets with caloric and carbohydrate contents so I knew where I was every day. I also had the nutritional guides for most of what I ate, and places I ate, downloaded on my PDA.

Different personality types will have more success with some methods than others. You'll find that most folks that had significant losses, and kept them off, used more structured programs and comparatively more discipline throughout.

Good luck.

What skin said. whenever I need to drop lbs. I do Atkins, this last round I dropped about 55 lbs in just over 4 months. The other diets just dont work well for me. And Like he said "Log everthing you eat" so you can review it later to see where you may be going off track. Good Luck!!!!

Dr.Doom
01-27-09, 19:37
2. Drink coffee.
3. Don't eat at night.

Be careful with 4 ("or not at all"). If you dont eat enough your body will store fat because it doesnt know when it will get more nutriants.

chadbag
01-27-09, 19:45
eating 1200 calories is not going to cause you to slow down your metabolism and store fat

IF

you still eat 3 times a day (ie, regularly)

and

be active or exercise some every day

--

If you do try 1200 calories, do it 5 days a week, do 1 day of 1500 and 1 day of 1800 or so. Otherwise you will find yourself trying to sneak snacks or whatever ;)

Also, it won't hurt you to use whatever nutritional supplements you want (fish / flax oil, multi vitamin, OPC/antioxidants, etc).

Chad
not a doctor or nutritionist

vigilant2
01-27-09, 20:36
Lots of good advice here. Back in 1990 I dropped from 303lbs to 205 in approximately 8 months using Doctors Quick-weight loss program. They
are now known simply as quick-weight loss. A few important things:

Exercise is a must. Particularly muscle building exercises.

Drop the soda's, if you must, drink diet soda (I did). Otherwise stick to
water. AVOID orange juice or any kind of friut juice. I found out through
this program how fattening juices are.

I've found that a teaspoonful of apple cider vinegar in 8oz of water
each morning to be an excellent help burning fat.

Keoni77
01-29-09, 18:17
Currently I'm 5'8" 175lbs, I use to be 198lbs, my goal is around 170.

A co-worker of mine, female, into modeling and hollywood stuff once heard me in a conversation that I wanted to lose weight and get fit. She referred me to this "Lemonade Diet (http://www.yestheyrefake.net/lemonade_diet_cleanse_journal.htm)" this was around March 08. I was first skeptical since after reading it, it sounds like you're just starving yourself, but what the heck nothing to lose but weight. So I gave it a try. I added an apple or grapefruit during lunch and dinner but the rest was the mix was the mix. 10 days later, I lost 20lbs.

Once I got back to the routine of normal food, I made a complete 180deg on my food lifestyle. I have since added HIIT (http://www.hiitsource.com/) workouts to my life. I have not since gotten close to seeing 190lbs since.

YMMV, check with your Dr. before doing the cleanse.

QuietShootr
01-29-09, 18:54
I used to ride bmx and skateboard and all that until I was injured from "going big" so many times that my insurance (and parents too) said that I wouldn't be covered anymore.

After this I basically entered the highschool/college party/do nothing phase and for lack of putting it any more bluntly became a fatass.

During this time I finished my degree and work at a desk on computers/servers all day long...so that doesn't help. Recently I've been wanting to lose this weight.

Im 6'1" and weigh 295 (I know, fatass...right?) but wanted to see if anyone here has overcome this before.

I don't eat junk food really at all, I think it's the pepsi etc that gets me. Lately since I got married and got our own place and money is tighter I have been cooking a lot more and I know that's a step away from eating out so much. Last week I made homemade chicken noodle soup, homemade asian chicken noodles, and also made some beef tips.

I've been contemplating working out like I used to in high school, time is just very pressing and I figured I could start with a diet first.

Any tips/suggestions?

Atkins, hard. Follow it to the letter, and you'll punch the weight off. Once you get lighter, then you can start with the pt without beating the shit out of your knees and so on.

It's tough to sustain. I'm in a 'fat ass' period right now myself.

system60
01-29-09, 19:20
Probably just regurgitating what's been posted already but:

1. Lift weights, check out www.stronglifts.com beginner program

2. For Cardio do HIIT (but NOT on an empty stomach)

3. Use either www.fitday.com or www.gyminee.com to track calories

4. Worry more about eating CLEAN than total calorie intake. Look for complex carbs from whole wheat grains. Try not to eat processed foods.
Good Clean foods
- Lean Chicken/Beef/Pork, Fish
- Oatmeal (not the flavored packets, try just adding a banana and some cinnamon to plain oatmeal)
- Brown rice
- Veggies
- Almonds
- Peanut Butter
- Protein shakes (whey, casein, milk protein isolate)

5. Have something to eat every 3-4 hours

Loosing weight is 80% diet, 20% excercise.

The Dumb Gun Collector
01-29-09, 22:27
In June of 2006 I weighed 285 pounds. By late 2007 I weighed 180 pounds. Here is how I did it.

1. Eat 1800 calories per day. The ONLY "DIET" thing I did was to stop eating fried food. I still ate candy bars (Reeses especially), hamburgers, etc. I just cut out fried because I have a hard time controlling myself around french fries.

2. Exercise 5 days a week. I started by walking 2 miles. By the end I was walking 1 and running 3 per night.

My was is slow, but it works without gimmicks. 1800 calories is not terribly hard to follow. Just find a bunch of meals you like and use the internet to find the calories.

QuickStrike
01-30-09, 05:12
2. Drink coffee.
3. Don't eat at night.

Agree with the above, except the bolded part. Not eating enough can make your body think you're starving = body stores more fat.

Try this:
Get on a treadmill
walk at a brisk pace that you can maintain for 45 minutes
5 days a week

And avoid anything with excess amounts of:

Fat
sugar
salt (not really important to avoid for weight loss)

So basically anything that tastes really good. :p

Don't drink pop! Heard/read somewhere that a person can lose like 20 lbs. in a few months JUST by not drinking this crap.

CarlosDJackal
01-30-09, 12:03
I lost 15 pounds in 2 weeks when they put me in the "Fat Boy" Program at the end of AOBC (Fort Rucker, AL). The Major in Charge (a former Air Force Class-A Weenie) wanted to try and scare some of us National Guardsmen. So when I was way under my max weight during the weigh in, he had me take a rigged the tape test so that I was over 2-inches shorter which turns out to be a difference of 8% body fat. So by virtue of this, I was placed in the program.

I saw a Dietitian, worked out twice a day and counted calories to loose the 15-pounds in two weeks (which unfortunately dropped my PT Scores). They finally got my height right (they used a different height measuring thingy) I was way below my maximum allowable body fat content.

What I learned is as long as your Caloric Input is Less than your Caloric Output you will loose weight (Intake < Output = Weight Loss; Intake > Output = Weight Gain). One good way for to this is a combination of good diet (cut down on Caloric Intake) and strength/muscle-building exercises. When you work your muscles correctly, it will continue to burn calories even if you're no longer working out. Cardio workouts are great for building stamina and a stronger heart so it should not be overlooked. But it does not burn as much calories as strength training so make sure you do both.

Good luck!!

Highway 55
01-30-09, 14:29
DISCLAIMER: I am not an expert. These are the methods I used, and they worked well for me. As always, YMMV.

In October of '02 I weighed around 260lbs. In April of '03 I weighed around 170lbs. I'm about 5'10". I lost the 90lbs without "dieting". You can eat almost anything you'd normally eat and still lose weight. It is all about portion control. Don't be afraid to have a hamburger or steak, just DO NOT HAVE A SECOND HELPING (This was the hardest for me, I love good food). By all means stop drinking pop. I couldn't completely stop drinking pop because of that pesky little caffeine addiction. I either drank a diet coke, or in the morning , had a cup of coffee. There are like 160 calories and A LOT of sugar in a can of Coke. You said that you do not eat junk food, so that is not going to be an issue for you. Do not totally cut carbs out of your meals, just cut back on them. You need carbs for energy when you are doing your workout, or just for daily activity.

One thing you need to know is that for the first few weeks or month of working out, you might not lose any weight. If you are like me you will gain weight. Some get discouraged and quit, do not quit! It is only your body building lean muscle mass to enable itself to burn the fat more efficiently. Now for my workout philosophy. I am not an advocate of doing a STRENUOUS workout every day of the week. It is very time consuming, and you get burned out very fast. Unless you are training for a fitness or body building contest there is no need to be at it that hard every day. I hate doing my cardio on a treadmill or elliptical. Unfortunately up here in MN, It is hard to get the ambition to go outside and exercise when it is 0°F. So unfortunately, in the winter, I have to do my cardio in the gym, other than the occasional pick-up hockey game...

I generally only work each muscle group once a week.
Here is my workout schedule in the winter:
DAY 1 - 15 minute light/moderate cardio on bike or elliptical, chest, shoulders, triceps
DAY 2 - REST
DAY 3 - 15 minute light/moderate cardio on bike or elliptical, squats/legs
DAY 4 - 15 minute strenuous cardio on bike, Abdominals, 15 minute strenuous on elliptical
DAY 5 - REST
DAY 6 - 15 minute light/moderate cardio on bike or elliptical, biceps, back, traps
DAY 7 - REST
On this schedule I generally only spend a little over an hour in the gym each day.

Every month or so I like to switch to high rep/low weight, and then back to low rep/ high weight after a few weeks. and also do some different excercises for each muscle group. If you do the same routine for months on end your body will hit a wall and you wont be gaining anything, switch it up once and a while. I like to schedule my grocery shopping, etc. for my rest days as well. That way you get some physical activity without actually working out.

My summer schedule is essentially the same as winter except I cut out all cardio from my gym workouts. and I work abdominals into one of the other days. For cardio I will ride my bike for an hour a couple times a week, or go swimming at my grandpa's house. I have even thought about joining a softball league or something.

If you don't have time or the $$$ for a gym membership. I would highly recommend buying a decent adjustable bench and a light set of dumbells, like 5-30 lbs. You can do almost every workout you need with an adjustable bench and dumbells. and then you can buy the heavier weights as you need them, all in the comfort of your own home. :cool: This is what I am in the process of doing. Once I save up enough cash I will go and buy a club grade elliptical or stationary bike. If I would've just bit the bullet and bought the equipment I needed 10 years ago, I would have spent less money than the last 10 years of gym dues. A lot more cost effective to buy your own stuff...

Like I said before, this is what works for me, so I thought I'd pass it along.

Good luck with your quest... :)

Norva
01-30-09, 15:29

Any tips/suggestions?

I'm 6'5" and was up to 387....didn't look that big but was. I got down to 290 which i look good at that weight. I did around 1200-1500 calories a day and worked myself up to 40-45 min 5-6 times a week on a eliptical machine. I also gave myself one day a week to cheat. I found that i didn't really go crazy on that day. I quit drinking pepsis, which im addicted to. I lost all that in 4 months. Then my wife left me and took my kids 120 miles away and i put some back on.....working on getting back in shape. I'm now working out and working back on MMA and possibly fighting again

Norva
01-30-09, 15:33
Also the diet i went on was 6 small meals a day. I actually ate more, even though less calories, on the diet and loss weight. You need to jump start you meatoblism. I would get up early and do at least 20 min on cardio...chill out and eat a small breakfast 30-45 min after working out. Drink a lot of water. You need to do it slowly and give your body time to adjust. Diet is a good start. Start doing 5 min on the cardio and slowly work up to 30-40 min a day. You don't want to give yourself a heart attack. Thats a lot of weight to lose. Take your time doing it and make it a lifestyle change so it will stick with you for your entire life

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-30-09, 16:27
Not to be a chick, but I did Weight Watchers. I think the two things that come out of it are:

1. Keeping track (like writing down) what you eat. Just taking the effort to write down what you are eating was enough of a barrier to eat something, especially grazing.

2. Weigh in every week with week to week tracking. They say they don't judge you, but they do.

3. Lots of chicks in the meeting that think they have a weight problem and self-esteem issues.

I lost 50lbs.

TheGhostRider
01-30-09, 16:34
A few years ago my wife and I had some personal issues.
In the process I moved out for a few months of which the majority of that time I spent living in my Jeep TJ.

The 1st month my weight dropped from 205 to 150.
I do not recommend this type of weight loss.
In the end, the story has a happy ending and I've managed to keep my weight down to a comfortable 155~ 5 lbs.

tweakmeister
01-31-09, 12:32
Agree with what's being said in here. Just want to add that less soda is also better on your teeth! (cheaper dentist bill!)

jc75754
02-01-09, 20:36
I don't know if you have kids or not but if not then do like I do. wake up 4:30AM 2-4 mile run 5days a week. Mon, Wed, Fri, Lift hard core til about 6:45 am. Tues, Thurs 1hr ab workout. Then 30 min punching bag. Always eat after you work out b/c you burn more calories on an empty stomach early in the morning, but always eat directly after. Eat carbs/protein in a 4/1 ratio and gets lots of fiber to move excess through.