PDA

View Full Version : WHERE DO YOU SHOOT ??

sandman99and9
01-27-09, 11:13
We have several indoor ranges here in Orlando. We also have a number of clubs and there is a good outdoor range in lakeland, not too far of a drive. Land to shoot on is hard to find around here, everything gets paved and a wal-mart or subdivision goes up ...lol

JBnTX
01-27-09, 11:52
I drive 75 miles (one way) to an outdoor rifle range, where most weekdays I
have the place to myself. Well worth the drive.

Other than that, it's a range crowded with range nazi's, 300lb cammie wearing
commandoes and newbies pointing guns at me.

Ranges all over the US are slowly being surrounded by developments like
houses and shopping centers. It's almost impossible to find a decent
outdoor place to shoot.

The farther east you go, the worse the problem is.

John_Wayne777
01-27-09, 11:59
Shoot? Ha!

I live in an area of Virginia where the overwhelming majority of the population owns a firearm....and there are two ranges. One is an indoor pistol range, and the other is a small range on National Forrest land.

The NF range has been so badly abused over the years that it's now been closed, AFAIK. Too many morons shooting TV's, computers, bottles, chairs, lamps, and even a special breed of idiot who seemed to derive great pleasure from shooting high powered rifles at BOWLING BALLS. (High velocity projectiles fired at hard round objects! BRILLIANT!!!)

Bye-Bye range.

That leaves me stuck with an indoor range that I can only shoot pistol or rimfire rifle on. Even at that, it's rare for me to even get the chance to shoot as life seems to demand every minute of my free time. I'm getting rather sick of it. When I can go I can't do a dang thing I want to do because the range is typically filled with other people and drills like SOM aren't going to fly. Besides, I have to spend most of my time watching out for the other people on the range because the barrels of their weapons seem to end up pointed at me quite often.

The most shooting I do is in formal training classes...which explains why I usually suck at those classes. Limited range availability plus limited free time due to my return to school in my old age = SUCK on the range.

Bitter? Me? Whatever would give you that idea?

Rider79
01-27-09, 11:59
I go to the northwest part of town here, past the Indian reservation, to a canyon off the highway. Only about a half hour drive, and its usually pretty deserted, perfectly legal to shoot in.

Mark71
01-27-09, 12:05
I shoot pistols and rim fire indoors at a local range that is about a 15min drive. The nearest outdoor rifle range is about a 45min drive. It is a nice 200 yard range that is dead on the weekdays and cheap to use.

DocGKR
01-27-09, 12:09
Center of mass or CNS if the shot is available...

Rider79
01-27-09, 12:39
Center of mass or CNS if the shot is available...

And he wins the thread.

sandman99and9
01-27-09, 13:21
Double tap followed by a head shot ???

variablebinary
01-27-09, 13:30
Out in the desert, about 30 minutes from my front door.

JSantoro
01-27-09, 15:32
The NRA HQ range in Fairfax, aboard MCB Quantico with the Shooting Club there or if I have classes that require fam fire, and I'll drive out to Sleepy Creek Wildlife Management area in Hedgesville, WV if I want to make a day of it.

That's a bit under 2hrs for me, but it's a primitive range, not too many Fudds around when there's nothing in season, and the rangers I've met there are very forgiving if you have a gov't ID of some sort to flash at them when they stop by to see what maniac is blasting continuous failure drills while running around berms in armor.

RogerinTPA
01-27-09, 15:54
There are 5 within a 40min drive from my house, one with a 100 yard outdoor range and one with an indoor 50 yard range (the closes). I favor the indoor range 50 yard one with the hotties with guns on their hips, working the counter! :D

parishioner
01-27-09, 16:08
The Honey Island Shooting Range. Its located in the Pearl River Wildlife Management Area north of Slidell, Louisiana in the Honey Island Swamp. Its about 20 min. from my house. The rifle range is 100 yards with about 40 lanes. They also have a pistol range as well as a shotgun range (my fave) with two skeet throwers and two stands. Its operated by war vets. Its nice.

C4IGrant
01-27-09, 16:12
Over 400yd range at our shop (with steel targets and poppers). I also teach/shoot at Greenport Tactical Association and Midwest Gun club (winter months).

C4

ToddG
01-27-09, 16:30
NRA Range, Fairfiax VA.

Texas223
01-27-09, 16:36
I walk out the back door, go about 200' North, put up my target, and then start shooting. :) Just lucky, I guess.

Michael

Jay Cunningham
01-27-09, 16:44
https://www.m4carbine.net/group.php

Check some of these out...

Safetyhit
01-27-09, 17:22
Fort Dix service/civilian range. Choices are limited here in NJ when it comes to a rifle.

Funny thing is, where I live in the 70's and 80's we had a big farm 20 min outside Philly, that was next to a big farm, that was next to another big farm, and so on. Back then we shot doves while sitting on the porch and .243's at woodchucks across the street.

Those farms are all subdivisions now. :(

Gentoo
01-27-09, 17:32
When I first moved to TX, I was psyched about finally being able to find a place to shoot.

How wrong I was. Closest place that isn't a 30+min drive each way is closed on my day off and kinda sucks in general. So I don't get to shoot much at all.

When I finish law school and get my practice established, I intend to buy some acreage and set up my own range outside of city limits.

RogerinTPA
01-27-09, 17:52
Update on Wyoming Antelope Club (Pinellas County in Clearwater, south of Ulmerton road). I went there a few weeks ago and they are in the process of building a range for carbine training. They also have weekly "Run and Gun" style shooting matches from the draw (concealed) on Wed's or Thursdays night's on steel targets. Sounds interesting. You are now allowed 10 rounds per handgun mag, at 1 round fired per second, and 1 round per AR mag if you're not a member. 5 rounds per AR mag if you are a member. It's still restrictive as hell, but a far cry from when I last went there a while back. I'll need to research this further to get more details and see if they've got a schedule I can post.

Hersh
01-27-09, 18:42
Lucky for me, my club is only about :45 minutes away. We shoot Steel Challenge, USPSA, IDPA and have a 200 yard rifle range.

http://www.casarange.com/

Dr.Doom
01-28-09, 10:36
Less than probably 20 minutes from my gun club.

http://bonecreekgunclub.com/cms/

Good times.

RTA
01-28-09, 11:32
Durham Rifle and Pistol Club, I have to drive an hour when coming from home, but otherwise I'm within 15 minutes of it 5 days a week. Anyone in the Raleigh area should check it out. (For anyone familiar with the area, don't worry, its actually nowhere near Dirty Durham)

http://www.dprc.org/

wargasm
01-28-09, 14:55
Boulder Rifle and Pistol Club in Southern Nevada! It's a 15 minute drive from where I reside. 24/7 access for club members. http://www.brpc1.org/ :cool:

Robb Jensen
01-28-09, 15:03
Private land in Staunton, Montross and Marshall VA
The NRA Range, Fairfax VA
Blackwater, Moyock NC
Fairfax Rod and Gun Club, Manassas VA

JSantoro
01-28-09, 15:58
Fairfax Rod and Gun Club, Manassas VA

Oooo, looks like I have some digging to do.

Love this board.

Georgia_Boy
01-28-09, 18:31
I shoot at an NRA range in SE GA called Altamaha Regional Shooters Club.
21 acres of fun. Archery animal targets, metal target 50yd pistol range, 300yd rifle range, and numerous shotgun auto stations.
Picnic area, BBQs, etc. Just minutes away.
www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/findlocal.asp?State=GA

m4fun
01-28-09, 19:55
There is an indoor range - Blue Ridge Arsenal within 10 minutes of my work, Chantilly, VA - they support rifle calibers and full auto fire in bursts.
http://www.blueridgearsenal.com/

I also belong to a private IWLA range in Centreville with a 100yd range.
http://www.arlingtonfairfax-iwla.org/

HES
01-28-09, 20:49
There are 5 within a 40min drive from my house, one with a 100 yard outdoor range and one with an indoor 50 yard range (the closes). I favor the indoor range 50 yard one with the hotties with guns on their hips, working the counter! :D
Ok which range is that? you mean Shoot Straight in Brandon? Where are the hotties when I go in there? :( Oh for me I've got three out door ranges within a 1/2 hr to 45 minute drive (Dade City, 2nd Amendment, Crystal River). I've got one indoor range, the indoor shooting company, about 20 minutes from me (and its pretty ingenious, its set up in a double wide), and two others within about a 40 minute drive (Shoot straight and Tampa Shooting Sports). If Im willing to drive for about an hour or so then there are at least two more out door ranges (Lakeland and Wyoming) and one indoor range available (Knights).

Update on Wyoming Antelope Club (Pinellas County in Clearwater, south of Ulmerton road). I went there a few weeks ago and they are in the process of building a range for carbine training. They also have weekly "Run and Gun" style shooting matches from the draw (concealed) on Wed's or Thursdays night's on steel targets. Sounds interesting. You are now allowed 10 rounds per handgun mag, at 1 round fired per second, and 1 round per AR mag if you're not a member. 5 rounds per AR mag if you are a member. It's still restrictive as hell, but a far cry from when I last went there a while back. I'll need to research this further to get more details and see if they've got a schedule I can post.
When you do, please let me know.

RogerinTPA
01-28-09, 21:50
Ok which range is that? you mean Shoot Straight in Brandon? Where are the hotties when I go in there? :( Oh for me I've got three out door ranges within a 1/2 hr to 45 minute drive (Dade City, 2nd Amendment, Crystal River). I've got one indoor range, the indoor shooting company, about 20 minutes from me (and its pretty ingenious, its set up in a double wide), and two others within about a 40 minute drive (Shoot straight and Tampa Shooting Sports). If Im willing to drive for about an hour or so then there are at least two more out door ranges (Lakeland and Wyoming) and one indoor range available (Knights).

When you do, please let me know.

Will do.

Knights Shooting Sports is the one with the hotties behind the counter with guns on there hips, though a couple of them moved on. :( But they always have at least one on duty. It's in Clearwater on US19 South near Pinellas Park. It has a 50 yard rifle side with 7 lanes and a 25 yard pistol side with 8 lanes. I do love renting the F/A toys from time to time. :) http://www.knightshooting.com/

Here is a pretty good list of all public and private ranges in FL. http://www.huntingnavigator.com/huntingdir/floridashooting.html

and http://www.gunshowdirectory.com/local.asp?searchType=12&popState=FL should just about cover Florida.

shadowalker
01-28-09, 22:17
I'm pretty lucky.

I live in Meridian (near Boise) and within 30-40 minutes I have 5 outdoor ranges (one 600+ yard, one 400+ yard) and 1 indoor range.

Then there is always a couple of national forests you can go shoot in, or the desert, neither very far away.

Our governor recently signed a law protecting shooting ranges from noise complaints and to a large degree encroachment.

More good people need to move to Idaho, even with millions of guns in the state our violent crime rate is 50% lower than the national average (sssh).

Last year state government announced an initiative to try to attract more ammunition and firearm manufacturers to Idaho (Speer is already here).

tradja
01-28-09, 23:08
There is a variety of public land a few minutes outside of town.

Closest and most popular :rolleyes: is "The Pit" on China Hat Road SE of town in the National Forest. This old cinder pit is usually full of shot-out TV's, DVD players, speakers, and sometimes a car carcass or two. I'm sure you know the place. Pretty trashy, not much centerfire brass to pick up (mostly steel cases, rimfire, and shotgun shells). Along with the trash and no defined "firing line", I've seen some pretty unsafe gun handling here.

Next out is the "Millican Range" on BLM land about 22 miles east of town in the desert. 100yds with berms, 6 stations, trash cans, target stands, a shot-up roof, and a privy. Very pleasant setting, generally empty, and generally good behavior otherwise. Maintained by the local shooting club. It's free, but unless you're there by yourself and can walk out, shooting handguns at the closest target at 25yds gets old. Reasonably good brass scrounging.

East of the next town north, where my shooting buddy lives, is the "Redmond Pit" also on BLM land. Similar to the China Hat Pit, if someone is set up at a bad angle when you get there, there is no safe angle for a second party to shoot. This gets muddy in the winter.

There are two pay ranges that I know of, but I've only been to one once ($5 day use) when we all took our parents-in-law shooting and the Pit was occupied.

Public land is a great resource. I really don't miss the crowds, blowhards, fees, noise, or RO's of a pay range.

Nathan_Bell
01-29-09, 14:46
Private land. 5 miles from a 200 yard range we set-up.
Miss my old place where I would walk about 60' and have 50-250 steel set up :(

RGT
01-31-09, 09:26
25/50yrd range is about 20 feet from the front door. While the long range site is about 50 feet away.

Retired, single and live in the boonies... Yeah, I know. ;)

sandman99and9
02-02-09, 12:47
Anyone in the central florida area ??? Maybe we could get some members together at teneroc and have a good day at the range.

ginarik
02-03-09, 10:49
For sighting in, Kaysville/Bountiful shooting range in northern Utah. Mommy and Daddy also have property in Idaho as well.

For playing around, the desert wastelands of Utah are fun :-)

Kaos
02-03-09, 10:59
Im just outside of pittsburgh. All times are from my door

45 minute drive to the state game lands range (10 - 25 - 50 and 100 yards)

15 minute drive to the club I belong to (dedicated pistol range with steel, indoor pistol range, 50-100-200-300 yard rifle range, 6 ipsc style bays, a shoot house, and then there are a few bays out on the property that are in the woods if you want something more private)

another 15 minutes to a smaller range (25-50-100 yd)

and then 20 to another (indoor/outdoor pistol) 1-2-3-4oo yard rifle range)

and then 20 in the other direction (east) to another club I've not yet visited.

Some pics/vid:

Vids are from one of the private range areas:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/KaosX/XD/th_Mem16.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v328/KaosX/XD/?action=view&current=Mem16.flv)

You cant really tell - but this is bursts of full auto 9mm with a suppressor
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/KaosX/XD/th_mem109mm.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v328/KaosX/XD/?action=view&current=mem109mm.flv)

The biggest IPSC bay (me shooting a 1919)
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v328/KaosX/XD/?action=view&current=GroupShoot13001.jpg

pistol range
http://www.pmsconline.com/images/range-pistolout01.gif

rifle range
http://www.pmsconline.com/images/range-rifle01.gif

I cant find any good shots of the indoor or the rest of the ipsc bays.

I have a vid of me doing the shoot house with an AK somewhere too.

jtb0311
02-07-09, 04:09
I used to shoot almost exclusively at Range USA in Memphis. It's an indoor range, and it's great for pistol shooting, but not so much for long guns - ARs, for example, are restricted to one evening a week, and you must by special frangible ammo from them, which costs about $1/round. So, I ponied up some money and joined the Memphis Sports Shooters Association Range. There's a one time $400 initiation fee, which I think actually keeps out the riff raff; Aside from that, dues are $20/month. It's a great facility. You can shoot rifles out to 600 yards on a KD range, there's a lot of skeet and trap stuff, a couple of 100 yard flat ranges, a 50 yard flat range, 25 yard pistol range, and several "Action Pistol" ranges. They also have a section for Cowboy Action stuff. I'm not into that, but apparently it's very popular. About my only complaint is that most of the staff are volunteer old timers who act like anyone under 50 is a potential trouble making idiot. One day last month a buddy and I were doing some pistol shooting on a cold afternoon. No one else was around, and this staff guy came and parked right behind us and just sat in his truck, watching and waiting for us to violate some safety rule. Of course we didn't, and after he saw us shooting, he got out and gave us some unneeded advice...:rolleyes: But, that,s just a small irritation. MSSA is a great facility.

thedog
02-08-09, 12:24
Off the front porch. In the front yard/backyard, back acreage. Safety first, always.

dog

Heavy Metal
02-08-09, 12:41
Shoot? Ha!

I live in an area of Virginia where the overwhelming majority of the population owns a firearm....and there are two ranges. One is an indoor pistol range, and the other is a small range on National Forrest land.

The NF range has been so badly abused over the years that it's now been closed, AFAIK. Too many morons shooting TV's, computers, bottles, chairs, lamps, and even a special breed of idiot who seemed to derive great pleasure from shooting high powered rifles at BOWLING BALLS. (High velocity projectiles fired at hard round objects! BRILLIANT!!!)

Bye-Bye range.

That leaves me stuck with an indoor range that I can only shoot pistol or rimfire rifle on. Even at that, it's rare for me to even get the chance to shoot as life seems to demand every minute of my free time. I'm getting rather sick of it. When I can go I can't do a dang thing I want to do because the range is typically filled with other people and drills like SOM aren't going to fly. Besides, I have to spend most of my time watching out for the other people on the range because the barrels of their weapons seem to end up pointed at me quite often.

The most shooting I do is in formal training classes...which explains why I usually suck at those classes. Limited range availability plus limited free time due to my return to school in my old age = SUCK on the range.

Bitter? Me? Whatever would give you that idea?

Too bad you don't work at Tech instead of that other place. Plenty of places to shoot in SW VA, including my buddies farm outside of Deer season and Turkey season before 12:00 noon. And all day Sunday is ok during both!

TRD
02-08-09, 14:44
Out here in wild west (aka real America, I just go find places to shoot. There is a range about 15 miles from where I live - but they snag a bit of your money everytime you go and shoot.

Because of that, I just go to some land that is not too far beyond that -- it is a fairly popular place to shoot and I just set up targets there. Usually I am the only one there so I can do whatever I want. It's a lot of fun. :D