PDA

View Full Version : Sniper School

pgpd3147
01-27-09, 16:42
I leave for Sniper school in two weeks. Any advice!

RD62
01-27-09, 16:45
Just try and blend in!! :D

Sorry couldn't resist!

Good luck!

-RD62

AirmanAtwood
01-27-09, 16:48
just give 110% and never give up.

Good luck.

Iraqgunz
01-27-09, 16:52
Are you referring to a military sniper school? I have not attended a military sniper course, but I did take a 3 day SPR Sniper Course.

1. Be like everyone else and don't stand out.

2. Take good notes and don't hesitate to ask questions if you aren't clear on something.

3. Stay focused on what you are doing.

Other than that just act like a sponge and absorb the info that they throw out at you.

telecustom
01-27-09, 17:48
1. Don't blow your grouping on the first day. If you do, you will go home on day one.

2. Have you spent some serious time with your weapon? We had several guys go down to the course and only have experience on the M24 and not the M110. It was a bad situation and most ended up getting recycled.

Good luck.

Littlelebowski
01-27-09, 18:08
Go to Long Range International (http://longrangeinternational.com) and join the forum. Nothing but hogs (Marine Snipers) there for the most part.

pgpd3147
01-27-09, 21:32
Thanks for the advice. How is the PT there. Was it a good idea to make my ghillie suit prior to school or should I have waited?

Failure2Stop
01-27-09, 22:22
What Sniper School specifically?

BVickery
01-27-09, 23:21
Good luck in school.

pgpd3147
01-27-09, 23:39
Army.

Gentoo
01-27-09, 23:56
Never been to sniper school (or even basic for that matter) but remain calm and don't get worked up or stressed out.

If you start getting stressed and ****ing up, mentally tell yourself STOP! (if you can, physically stop what you are doing and stand still) and take some deep breaths and re-focus, then proceed with deliberate, concentrated actions, and do not dwell on the mistakes. This is the best way to derail the **** up train once it leaves the station.

Good luck!

Steelblitz
01-28-09, 05:49
There was a couple different sniper training courses when I was in the Corps. (This is 20 years ago mind you) When I was in, I had the luck to leave my unit for a couple weeks to take a sniper training course. Even to attend that you had to have certain high standings such as having a 1st class PFT, be qualified as a rifle expert, E-3 or higher, etc...Weapons used were the scoped M16A2, M82A1, and M40A1. Range finding was taught with some concealment from what I can remember, along with lots of going over the basics of shooting along with a bunch of range time. We were mostly Marines taken from Security Force Battalions, so the training was geared more towards operating in an urban environment. There was a also much more intense 2-3 month scout/sniper school that some Marines could get into, but I didnt know anyone personally who attended that one. It seemed to be geared more towards the ForceRecon Marines or grunts that were going after a sniper billet I thought.

Littlelebowski
01-28-09, 06:18
Thanks for the advice. How is the PT there. Was it a good idea to make my ghillie suit prior to school or should I have waited?

Go ask those questions there, I'm not a sniper myself but LRI is composed of Scout Sniper/Scout Sniper Instructors.

Iraqgunz
01-28-09, 06:56
You may want to repost the link in your earlier reply above. It is missing the "l" in international and it comes back with an error.

Go ask those questions there, I'm not a sniper myself but LRI is composed of Scout Sniper/Scout Sniper Instructors.

Littlelebowski
01-28-09, 07:00
You may want to repost the link in your earlier reply above. It is missing the "l" in international and it comes back with an error.

IG's got a mind like a steel trap! Link fixed :D

Ring
01-28-09, 12:09
ATTENTION TO DETAIL!

shooting is easy, its all the little stuff thats hard.

CarlosDJackal
01-28-09, 21:59
Never attended Sniper School (I tried to apply but was the wrong MOS - 11C1P). I did serve with quite a few guys who did. Here are things I remembered from them and some lessons I learned from Sniper Matches.

1) Make sure you have the necessary formulas down pat. Using Mil Dot for distance, Calculating Extreme Angles, Reading the wind, Using MOA, etc.

2) Make sure you learn the recommended FMs and TMs BEFORE you get there.

3) Try to identify where you can buy the materials that you will need to make your Gillie Suit beforehand so that when they give you the materials, you won't be wasting time running around trying to find them. From what I understand, they expect you to make yoru gillie suit using the materials they give you. They'll gig you for using items they do not approve off if they catch you. Buying a pair of Nomex Flight gloves beforehand might not be a bad idea though. You can start wearing it in. But if they issue you one and the two don't match, use the one they issue.

4) Work on your short-term memory in preparation for the KIMS exercises.

5) Learn to be very patient. Those stalking exercises can be a real bitch. You have to be able to move at a sloth's pace and to use the terrain and shadow to your advantage.

6) Make sure you've got the fundamentals down - supposedly they don't really take the time to teach you that stuff. When it come to marksmanship, you'll either sink or swim.

7) Attention to detail! Attention to detail! Attention to detail! If there are any short-comings on your Gillie Suit, the Instructors will find it. They don't like straight lines, sharp corners, and round shapes. Don't iron anything!! Pay attention to where the sun is, they're pretty good about picking up any reflection off your scope's objective as well as any straight-edged shapes.

8) Learn and apply the elements of identifying objects (shine, shape, shadow, texture, movement, etc.).

9) Have a very good practical understanding of the Sniper's Mission on a Tactical Level (ie: priority of targets).

10) Don't try using non-issue face camo - they supposedly contain oils that shine more than the military stuff.

It might not hurt to sign up for the Sniper Chat Forum (http://www.snipersparadise.com/sniperchat/) and ask this same question. You can also do some research here: Sniper Country (http://www.snipercountry.com/)

FWIW. Good luck!!

pgpd3147
01-30-09, 09:06
I am an 11c as well. Thats weird that they didn't let you go. is it cause you were a charlie instead of a straight bang bang. From what I was told we were the same as the bang bangs. We could do there job, the just couldn't do ours.

markm
01-30-09, 10:40

Just watched the Army Sniper School documentary on the Military Channel again last night. Didn't look to me like you needed your Ghillie done ahead of time.

sandman99and9
01-30-09, 11:09
Maybe you could go to Duane's sniper school....lol
After all, he is A TRAINED RIFLE EXPERT.......... Sorry, but I could not resist. He could teach you to hit 10 out of 10 at a 1000 yds.

AirmanAtwood
01-30-09, 11:23
After all, he is A TRAINED RIFLE EXPERT.......... Sorry, but I could not resist. He could teach you to hit 10 out of 10 at a 1000 yds.

OH YEAH!!

CarlosDJackal
01-30-09, 11:29
I am an 11c as well. Thats weird that they didn't let you go. is it cause you were a charlie instead of a straight bang bang. From what I was told we were the same as the bang bangs. We could do there job, the just couldn't do ours.

That's the reason I was given. the funny thing was the Head Instructor back then was also an 11C and they were actually begging people to attend because the numbers of applicants were very low. So much so that they lowered the Rifle Qualification standards down from Expert to Sharpshooter in order to gain more students.

But this was more than 20-years ago and the school actually traveled to Fort Richardson, AK and I guess they didn't want to "waste" all the time and expense in bringing those instructors up there.

Good luck!!

CarlosDJackal
01-30-09, 11:29

And if he had his way he'd be a Sniper... Ooooh yeaaah!! :eek: