PDA

View Full Version : Hmm what rail system??

trunkmonkey
01-27-09, 21:35
I'm looking for a few good suggestions. Just got my 6920 ordered and now I need to outfit it.

I'm looking for a good rail system but would like to spend less than 200. Anyone know what my options would be???
A but just picked up a troy for 180.

seb5
01-28-09, 06:32
In that price range you'd be looking at a non free float Troy or Surefire. MI and Yankee Hill in a free float. I've got the SF and Troy, like them both, rock solid. I don't own the Yankee Hill or MI.

rob_s
01-28-09, 06:50
For just $235 with .mil discount you can get an Omega from Brownells (http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=24634&title=AR-15/M16%20OMEGA%20RAIL). Not sure if that stretches your budget too far over the $200 though.

You may also find this chart (http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pwswheghNQsFnUZMkZNF2DQ) to be of use in terms of dimensions and weights of various options.

Failure2Stop
01-28-09, 06:53
Why do you want a rail system?
Serious question, I'm not being a dick.
What is your envisioned use of a rail system?
There are very good reasons to get a rail, and different needs that are satisfied by different systems.
If you just want to stick a light to your gun, there are viable alternatives to $200+ handguards.
If you want to mount an optic on the HG as a backup/alternate sight to a magnified optic, a rail system of some kind becomes more necessary.
If you have a suite of visable and IR aiming devices, the rail becomes mandatory.

I ask as my recommendations will change depending on employment.

If you just want a rail system, that is peachy as well.

trunkmonkey
01-28-09, 08:01
That chart is exactly what I was looking for, thank you Rob.

I don't really have a budget per se, just didn't feel the need to drop top dollar on one. Just didn't want a POS.
I like having my light mounted 10 clock as well as a forward grip. That omega looks like the way to go for me.

scottryan
01-28-09, 11:31
That chart is exactly what I was looking for, thank you Rob.

I don't really have a budget per se, just didn't feel the need to drop top dollar on one. Just didn't want a POS.
I like having my light mounted 10 clock as well as a forward grip. That omega looks like the way to go for me.

Another alternative to meet your budget is a Knights Armament RAS. They can be had for under $200 on the aftermarket.

This is one of the best drop in non free float systems.

jakjakman
01-28-09, 11:34
If you want a rail system I'd get a LaRue one. But that's me. :)

basilhaydenO
01-28-09, 17:13
I just bought an upper that was used for an MK18 clone. The guy that I bought it from claimed he only shot one box of 20 rounds through it and after inspecting the upper and bolt, I believe him. Anyway, I am going to sale the Knights RAS along with the SAS lower rail that he bought for it (apparently the SAS locks up tighter than the stock RAS lower rail) on the EE. If you think you might be interested in a Knights, I will hold off for awhile. Just let me know.