PDA

View Full Version : P.O.F. uppers

SourMash
01-27-09, 21:43
Can someone with experience tell me about them? I've looked on their site and read what they have to say about their own product, now I would like to hear from someone out there that has experience with them. I don't have any previous background on an AR, but i've been reading on here and TOS alot and I"ve learned some things but I have a long way to go! Is their product worth the money???

SourMash
01-28-09, 20:22
Does anybody know anything? I have tried a search but evidentally I didn't do something right, cause I can't find anything on these guns????

madisonsfinest
01-28-09, 20:59
Haven't seen it in person, but have only read great things about them. 30 day money back guarantee. I ordered a POF 308, it will not be here for quite some time. I will post up some info. after I get it.

gishooter
01-29-09, 01:53
I have a P416 with the CROS syetem and all the fixin's. I have had it for about a year and put about 500 or so through the gun. I have never had a problem other than my brother in law riding the handle foward and not loading a round then wondering my the gun did not fire. The POF's are by far the fastest AR/M4 there is to clean. You really do just wipe them down. I think POF says you can run them dry but I still use a light coat of lube. I would get a longer rail system and go to the end of the gas block and run rail mounted sights as opposed to the set up I have on there. Some folks will bad mouth them and I have yet to see why, but hey everyone doesn't like everything. ANd with a 20 week wait they are doing something right! The complaints I have about them are

1. The rail system sits really high, just my complaint maybe.
2. The piston system moves freely with the bolt locked back, not a big deal just me being nitpicky

Overall a great gun that feels very strong/durable. I would love to get one of there 308 uppers to put on my DPMS lower but don't have that kinda money around and I would rather build a bolt gun. Here is a little pic, I have since replaced a few things but you get the idea. GI
http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/rr304/gishooter/POF1.jpg

heijutsu
01-29-09, 07:28
I've had two, and have run them both pretty hard. I had an initial issue with the first gen PMAG's but zero issues with the new ones or any GI mags I've run. They make a great gun and are a great bunch of guys. They've retooled their website and that should help with any customer service issues they might have had in the past. I will be ordering a 308 from them very soon and would recommend them to anyone. Their QC is top notch.

decodeddiesel
01-29-09, 08:38
Does anybody know anything? I have tried a search but evidentally I didn't do something right, cause I can't find anything on these guns????

You won't find much on these guns on this site. All I'll say is that they are very pricey for what you get and if you want a piston upper there are a LOT better options out there.

SourMash
01-29-09, 19:00
Thanks for your answers. I really don't know much at all about AR's and I do like the idea of a piston upper. Diesel, could you PM me some names of companies that produce piston uppers?

madisonsfinest
01-29-09, 19:47
LMT does.... Colt will be.....
Diesel how much experience do you have with POF? I would think that a LOT better out there is an over statement

rightwingmaniac
01-30-09, 21:51
i have 2 piston uppers. one is the pof 416 and the other is an lwrc 6.8 m6a2 srt.

the pof is nice but there is a couple things you should know. the pof is heavier, no m4 feedramps on your receiver, no choice in bcg's(your gettin the semi auto version), and your optics will sit higher. that being said, the barrel is top notch. bcg is also very nice, super slick. price $1250

now lets take a look at lwrc. the upper is light weight, m4 feed ramps on receiver, full auto bcg, low profile rail system compared to pof, options of a 5.56 or 6.8, and a 14.7" barrel with a perm attached flash hider. the barrels are also cold hammer forged. price $1800

both are very nice. i hear pof is offering the 6.8 now in a 1/11 twist. have not shot one in person. but let me tell you of my own personal exp. about the two guns, or my preference.

the lwrc is my favorite. its a 6.8spc m6a2 srt in a 14.7" w/ a p/a flash hider. now your gonna hear people that are gonna blow smoke up your ass here on the site about a 1/10 twist with combat loads. youll here things like blown primers and swipes are happening with this twist rate. dont believe it with this rifle.

as a matter of fact, i took out this bad boy 2 weeks ago to the local range and it actually prefers combat loads. i shot 5 shot groups with a sub moa at 100 yards with my 4x32 acog. no blown primers, no swipes. i hope i gave a little insight with out going too far off topic.

SourMash
01-31-09, 05:06
Rightwingmaniac, thank you for your insight. One thing that I have learned here is that not everyone thinks the same! Whats good for one man, well..that might be someone elses "junk". Thanks to all that posted.

RyanB
01-31-09, 06:16
The one I saw, new, failed 3 times in 500 rounds. I've heard lots of similar stories. Shooters finished that one with one of my DI guns.

trunkmonkey
01-31-09, 08:36
There's a 20 week wait for everything these days. So that is no indicator.

I had a POF 9.25 upper and thought the quality was obviously lacking in the
build. Comparing it side by side with my 416 prompted me to sell it immediately.

When looking at the two the POF just comes off as a very cheap knock off
compared to the H&K.

SRT-M4
01-31-09, 08:57
I also own both POF and LWRC.
They both are great weapons.

The POF is extremely robust and very well built. I cant see why people say that the fit and finish are lacking. Have you seen the billet lower receivers? Beautiful to say the least!
You may not like the looks of the POF or the larger rails system but these rifle are well made.
I have had zero issues with both POFs
The piston system is very simple yet it works as advertised. Not much to break on it. Its very easy to take out and clean. This will be the only thing that you will have to clean short of a wipe down for long periods.
My POFs both came with Full Auto carriers? I didnt ask for them either.

All of that being said my LWRCs are my favorite. They have the same ergonomics as your regular DI AR but with to me the best piston design out there.
The rails are sexy and well thought out.
The CHF barrel is about as good as you can get! It shows in the accuracy department. It makes me look good with the tight groups it produces without to much effort.
I would like to see a one piece carrier ( I have heard rumors that its on the way ) but the rest of it is very well made with the extra meat on the rear. Also, the flutes or cuts are a nice touch.

LWRC=#1
POF=Close #2

I honestly think that you couldnt go wrong with either but to each his own!

Good Luck with your decisions.

decodeddiesel
01-31-09, 21:03
Thanks for your answers. I really don't know much at all about AR's and I do like the idea of a piston upper. Diesel, could you PM me some names of companies that produce piston uppers?

LMT, ADC, and PWS are really about it. From what I've read on some of the horror stories involving LWRC I can't recommend them.

decodeddiesel
01-31-09, 21:04
LMT does.... Colt will be.....
Diesel how much experience do you have with POF? I would think that a LOT better out there is an over statement

I do admit I have never owned one, but I have seen many at the range and one of my co-workers owns one. The upper design and free float tube are dated, it's heavy as hell, and the fit and finish are not on the same level as LMT, Colt, or Noveske.