PDA

View Full Version : S&W M&P15 - New - Is this S/N a new one?

S&Wfan
01-27-09, 21:59
Hi,

This is my first post here, but surely won't be my last. I've been a S&W wheelgun fan for years and shot lots of matches.

However, TODAY I GOT MY FIRST AR-15, a new S&W that came into a local shop. I figured it was time to get a black rifle.

I read that the early ones had some issues but the later ones are fine. Doing a search here tonight, it looks like the weapons folks posted numbers of began with the two letters "SW" xxxxx.

PROBLEM? . . .

This weapon has a VERY low serial number BUT I believe a new year code. I saw that a lot of the older ones began: SW 00xxx

This one begins with "SM" rather than "SW"

QUESTION . . .

Mine's serial number is: SM 0002xx

This is certainly a low number! I'm hoping this is a new code, relating to a new 2009 batch. If so, I wish I could have been the number SM 00223, but it's not!;)

Can someone please help? Do I have a current manufacture gun, or a very old and early M&P15 that just hit my dealer's shelf?

Thanks a bunch!

T.

Erocku
01-27-09, 22:43
I just read something the other day on AR15.com that the SM serial numbers are newer models.

S&Wfan
01-28-09, 06:30
Thanks!

Tom

Vic303
01-28-09, 08:38
I'd call SW and ask them for the production date. Then you will know for sure.

Robb Jensen
01-28-09, 09:28
SM serial numbers are the newest ones.

S&Wfan
01-28-09, 12:44
Fantastic!

Thanks a lot guys, and maybe this thread will help others in coming weeks/months who purchase new M&P 15s and wonder if they got a 2009 gun . . . or an old stock 1st run gun that might have issues.

I look forward to contributing here as I learn and grow with my new AR-15. It looks like a great website and forum!

T.

teufeldog
01-28-09, 20:16
The stripped lower I just picked up is SM# serialized. New baby! :cool:

S&Wfan
01-28-09, 21:54
Hi again,

My serial number was in the SM 00220 range and, as the dealer commented when I bought it, it's a shame that you ALMOST got the number "223." Nawwww, very close, but no cigar.

It would have been neat to get ol' number 223! ;)

As it is though, its number will be very easy to remember through the years!

T.

PS: I popped a spare Holosight on it and took it out for a quick zero after work today. The gun ran flawlessly and shot quite well. Nice, tight groups, and I quickly zeroed it at fifty yards, which also zeros the carbine at 200 meters from what I've read . . . with a super flat trajectory from 8 to 250 meters.

It should make for a fun little carbine, and I hope to roll a few coyotes this spring out at the hunting lease.