PDA

View Full Version : mag question

moonshot
01-28-09, 10:44
I've addressed this question before, but always in the context of another issue, and I never really got a specific answer, so I'm trying again. You all have far more experience than I, so I hope to finally get this resolved.

I have recently received several free, used magazines. Most are DPMS 30's with the black plastic follower, and several are Orlites.

They all work in my rifle, but due to the high cost of ammo, I've only loaded them to 10 rounds each.

My question is, are the DPMS mags USGI-equivalent (as in USGI specs, durable, etc) and worth my buying new top end springs and Magpul followers for "go-to" status, or are they better relagated as range-only mags, or sale items at a gun show? Springs and followers are cheap, but if the mags themselves aren't up to snuff, why do it? I could likely sell them for $200 or more "as is" at the next gun show, and spend this money on other supplies.

Same question for the Orlites - are these considered top quality mags, or range mags?

I already have a nice supply of 20 rd USGI mags and Pmags, so I don't really need these.

Failure2Stop
01-28-09, 11:45
I would launch the Orlites with utmost haste. Those and CProducts are pretty much the only magazines I wouldn't take for free. Simply throwing them in the trash will save you heart-ache in the long run, if you can make some cake out of it as well I would consider that the best option. Yeah, I would feel sorry for the guy buying them, but anybody actually paying for Orlites is probably just going to hurl them toward his Olympic AR, stored safely away from socitey in the gunsafe anyway :rolleyes:.

If the DPMS mag tubes and feed-lips are good to go, I would hold onto them and upgrade the followers with Magpul followers. Replacement springs are good to have as well, not just out of Bogey-Man fear of regulation, but to keep your mags running after the spring is worn-out. I upgraded all the followers in my go-to GI mags long ago. I still have a few that have not been upgraded simply because they are not reliable mags for whatever reason, used only for training. I would only drop the Al mags if I could literally turn around and buy PMags immediately to replace them.

I whole-heartedly recommend PMags, but do not have enough time with the Lancer to have decided yet. The PMags are good to go right out of the bag, some are replacing the Lancer's spring. I have not yet, but I haven't shot the Lancers much.

Iraqgunz
01-28-09, 11:56
moonshot,

Out of curiousity why are you loading the mags to 10 rds? Just wondering what the rationale is behind it.

moonshot
01-28-09, 12:31
Iraqgunz,

Money is tight. Just bought a second lower (LMT) and am waiting on my BCM mid-length upper. With BCG et al, another $700+ to spend for a 2nd rifle. Ammo is too costly now for used mag testing. I have Pmags and USGI 20's, all tested and good to go. I figured 10 rounds each to test feed and bolt hold features. I just didn't have the 300+ rounds necessary for a complete test.

This actually touches on a topic which has kept me up at night. AR-s are expensive tools to keep in the tool box. Can I really justify having two?

I am seriously considering selling my existing Bushmaster. It's never failed me, but hasn't been ridden hard either. Hardest use was a 2-day carbine class, firing around 700+ rounds. It was my 1st class, and was no where near as intense as the classes you all take, but the Bushy held up fine.

I look at my Bushy and I see a potential $1000, not including rifle-specific extras which might up its value to $1500 or more.

I know, two is one and one is none. I've been a fan of spare equipment long before I ever read that, but I'm not independently wealthy.

Sadly, I know if I sell it, I'll never be able to replace it, and that is what has stopped me so far.

Failure2Stop
01-28-09, 13:25
It's not the keeping that's expensive, its the shooting. Or is someone charging you rent based on the number of ARs you own?

I think that with current trends in ammo prices it might be worth it to sell off the BM at market price to fund a 5.45 upper with mags and ammo. That will put you in the cheap-shooting category unless some silly foreign ammo ban/import fee/ammo tax crushes the ammo market, in which case you would be equally f***ed regardless of caliber since the cheap .223/5.56 ammo is imported as well.

That is, assuming that the BM would become redundant with the BCM/LMT you are pinning together. If the tools are complimentary, keeping them both may be worth it, maybe not, depending on your use. If you are serious about a HD/TEOTWAWKI, you might want redundant systems or two primaries to equip yourself and a buddy/wife/same-sex life partner/whatever. If you are serious about training, you might want to have identical platforms to keep wear on the go-to gun at a minimum. Hell, it's your circumstance, and nobody can pretend to know it better than you.

The two is one thing can go to extremes. We don't carry two rifles in combat, we carry a side-arm (and some don't even get that) and have replacement parts to keep the primary running if it does shit the bed. When it comes to large/expensive items, get replacement parts as your budget allows. Oddly, it doesn't take long for the replacement parts to assemble themselves into entire uppers/lowers/and complete rifles. I try to maintain at least a FCG spring set and complete bolt for each rifle, with a box full of miscellaneous parts for those times that things go south.

dennyAC170
02-01-09, 22:27
A question for Failure2Stop or anyone else...

I have searched for threads on this subject but haven't found anything yet. What's the story on CProducts magazines? Are they reliable? Follower? Tubes?

Thanks in advance

thopkins22
02-01-09, 22:59
I have searched for threads on this subject but haven't found anything yet. What's the story on CProducts magazines? Are they reliable? Follower? Tubes?
F2S' answer is four posts above yours.;) I've never used them, but I have not heard good things.

I would launch the Orlites with utmost haste. Those and CProducts are pretty much the only magazines I wouldn't take for free.

mmike87
02-02-09, 08:58
A question for Failure2Stop or anyone else...

Thanks in advance

From what I have read, the aluminum ones are supposedly OK, stay away from the steel ones. However, I do not have any of either so I cannot personally say.

There are enough magazine manufacturers out there where you do not have to get any that are questionable.

Rider79
02-02-09, 09:16
This actually touches on a topic which has kept me up at night. AR-s are expensive tools to keep in the tool box. Can I really justify having two?

I am seriously considering selling my existing Bushmaster. It's never failed me, but hasn't been ridden hard either. Hardest use was a 2-day carbine class, firing around 700+ rounds. It was my 1st class, and was no where near as intense as the classes you all take, but the Bushy held up fine.

I look at my Bushy and I see a potential $1000, not including rifle-specific extras which might up its value to $1500 or more.

I know, two is one and one is none. I've been a fan of spare equipment long before I ever read that, but I'm not independently wealthy.

Sadly, I know if I sell it, I'll never be able to replace it, and that is what has stopped me so far.

I debated the exact same thing with my DPMS and RRA, I had already sold one DPMS at a significant profit after the Panic started, so I debated selling the others. But without those two, I have 5 ARs, 3 of which are BCM/LMT/Colt quality, so it wasn't really a numbers issue. What held me back was the thought of the possible signigificant profit in them after a possible AWB. (And no, this is not a discussion of that topic in any way, shape, or form, nor do I want it to turn into that. It is just an explanation of my thought process behind my decision) So I held onto them. Then LMT uppers and BCM uppers started popping up, and lowers started showing up at decent prices. I made the purchases, and the checking account started dropping. I have a couple complete lowers, waiting for uppers that are now on their way. The idea behind the new stripped lowers is that I can assemble them with the best stuff I can get, and know what I have, instead of the questionable quality of the RRA, and the DPMS, which I bought as a kit gun. So now my account was low, and I started looking at the RRA and DPMS, and the potential $2000+ of quality parts that they could purchase without denting my bank account further. So that was my tipping point, and the DPMS got sold yesterday for $1000, and the RRA is probably gonna go later this week. Now I have enough to pick up at least one BCM upper when they come available, without hesitation. My situation is a little different than yours, where I have more backups, but I think the thoughts I've put into it apply in your case. $1000 is almost enough to cover a BCM upper, BCG, charging handle, and a quality stripped lower, as well as the parts needed to assemble it. I'd be more confident in that setup than a BM, regardless of how faithful its been to me so far.