PDA

View Full Version : Help please!

miss debbie
01-28-09, 12:14
I accidently squirted a floor cleaning solution on my husband’s shotgun and now it’s a little rusty how do I remove the rust?

AMMOTECH
01-28-09, 13:28
Not sure of a good safe way to remove it but while your waiting for someone to respond find his cleaning kit and rub some gun oil on the area.

A-Bear680
01-28-09, 15:43
Wipe the cleaner off with gun oil. Leave a medium coat of oil ,after cleaning.
Then get some Kroll's-- or Liquid Wrench if you can't find Kroll's . Soak the rust down , wait an hour , wipe off gently . Soak overnight , wipe --and let us know how it looks. More details can follow. Kroll's can do very well at removing rust while leaving the finish largely intact.
Go very slow, let the oil lift the rust .

Hope this helps.

Left Sig
01-28-09, 17:57
Flitz polish might help. Supposedly, it doesn't take off bluing, but I've never had to use it on a blued firearm.

lalakai
01-28-09, 18:53
a couple options we also used: hoppes oil and very very fine steel wool. if you rub too hard, you can remove the blueing, but if you go light and slow, the steel wool won't have a significant impact on the blueing.

and, as weird as it sounds..........lipstick or toothpaste. both are extremely fine abrassives that are also used for the finishing touches on glass lenses (home made telescopes). lipstick or toothpaste will definitely be slow, but they won't leave any marks. just use your finger tips and rub in circles.

...............and no jokes about how lipstick got on the barrel.:rolleyes:

SeriousStudent
01-28-09, 20:43
Indeed, the toothpaste suggestion does work. It will also clean water rings off furniture.

Miss Debbie, if that does not help, I have successfully removed some very light surface rust using some Ulens guitar polish.

It will also remove spray-paint from a vandalized truck. You can guess how I know that. :(

thopkins22
01-28-09, 20:55
If the rust is pretty faint, gun oil, a rag, and elbow grease.

I've never used toothpaste on rust, but I know it's excellent at removing rings on furniture where no coaster was used.

Medicine Calf
01-28-09, 22:32
I accidently squirted a floor cleaning solution on my husband’s shotgun and now it’s a little rusty how do I remove the rust?

I'm not going to ask how that happened.

SeriousStudent
01-30-09, 21:46
Here is an interesting link I found on Brownell's website for removing surface rust:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/GunTech/NewsletterArchive.aspx?p=0&t=2&i=484

Good luck again to the OP.

bkb0000
01-30-09, 21:52
if this is just the really bright, new surface rust that i imagine it- as in, it basically magically appeared over night or in less than a day- just rub it off with oil. good as new.