PDA

View Full Version : Ok I screwed up!

kwelz
01-28-09, 16:20
A while back I talked about a rifle I had with a bad FSB. I had cut the FSB down and was using optics instead. Well the other day I got my hands on a Gas Block/Flip up Front site and wanted to use this rifle as a KISS rifle. When I went to remove the FSB I found that there was pretty much no way to do it.

I eventually had to get a pair of Vice Grips and clamped them onto the gas block. When I first did this I tried it along the top and when I went to start wiggling the Gas block left and right I didn't notice that the edge of the vice grips were digging into the barrel slightly.

There isn't any damage to the barrel however it did managed to scrape a nice area of finish off. Is there is simple way to fix this? I would prefer not to refinish the whole thing but I hate having bare metal exposed.

spamsammich
01-28-09, 16:41
remove any grease and hit it with Birchwood Casey Aluminum-Black or a similar product.

kwelz
01-28-09, 16:51
That was my first though. But I wasn't sure if it would work on Barrel steel or not.

spamsammich
01-28-09, 17:17
it does enough to oxidize the bare metal. It will not be as good as new though, it may not match the parked finish exactly. Keep that area oiled regularly and it should be fine.