PDA

View Full Version : New guy wanting a AR

Notman
01-28-09, 18:17
Hey all, I am new to ARs and guns for the most part. Have always like them but until recently the wife was pretty much against having them in the house. With the kids getting older and working there way out of the house we decided to get our first pistol a few months ago.
I have been wanting a AR but didn't really have the funds for one and figured I would wait and save along with learn more about them before getting one. Last week I sold my bike and have the money but have other things that it could go to that would make the wife much happier. The thing is I would hate to have them band and miss out on the chance. Also if I pick one up now and the ban goes through do you feel the price will go up? Will you even be able to sell them?
If the price goes up it would be more like an investment and if it didn't I would hope the value would stay close to what it is now.

Guess what I'm getting at is this a good time to buy for a guy that wants one but doesnt need to have one?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any input.

Veracity
01-28-09, 18:45
Some think the current prices will drop. If that's true, then now is a bad time to buy.

There are those that have the "get it while you still can" attitude--like me. If we're right, now is your chance.

Are things over priced? Yeah. If you miss out on buying what you want 'cause you waited for the price to drop a few hundred bucks...you might beat yourself up over it.

daved
01-28-09, 18:53
I wouldn't buy an AR in the current political climate for an investment. If a ban comes about, it may:

A. Prohibit the future production/importation of ARs

B. Prohibit the transfer but allow ownership of existing ARs

C. Prohibit (confiscate) all ARs, including those currently in private hands

A and/or B are mostly likely, C would be a stretch

So if you want an AR, buy it for your own use/enjoyment and don't plan on being able to sell it in the future, much less consider it an "investment" if a ban comes about. Present prices are reasonable - most aren't much higher than pre-election if you buy from a reputable dealer/manufacturer.

Notman
01-28-09, 19:31
Thanks for the opinions. If I pick one up it wont be so much for an investment but more that I want one. It would be nice to know i wasn't losing my butt thought. Then again being stuck with it wouldn't break my hart ether.

If I may be stuck with it I guess I better look for a good one. Was looking a Spikes SR-15 Operator. A bit higher then I would like to spend but I would hope it would hold up better.

POF.Ops
01-29-09, 00:06
Based on what you are saying I think I'd use my money for other things that would better keep your wife happy. I get the impression you want the AR simply because you want it and you aren't necessarily interested in the shooting sports. I'm not trying to be rude, just honest based on what I am reading.

bkb0000
01-29-09, 01:54
try to find a "good deal" on something, or just get a lower and LPK, so you at least have something in case the ban, as it was written, returns.

i DO think prices will go down once everyone settles down- way down. so you might be better off waiting. if worse comes to worse, and the ban gets passed, there will be some amount of time to get what you can before it actually goes into effect- and at that time if all you can find is a stripped lower for $500, it would still be worth it.

RogerinTPA
01-29-09, 08:46
Agreed. If I was a first time buyer, I'd get a couple of LMT Defender lowers ASAP. They are still under 500 bucks and are complete, but hard to find. Then take your time to figure out what kind of upper to install. If a ban does go into effect, uppers won't be banned but lowers will, since it contains the serial number and thus considered a firearm by itself. http://dynamicarmament.com/items/ar-15-lower-receivers/lmt-defender-complete-lower-std-trigger-lmtcompletelowerstandardstocktrigger-detail.htm They have 3 available for $425.00. Just slap an upper on it and your GTG.

JBnTX
01-29-09, 09:31
If you want an AR, go find one and buy it. In my opinion
if you want one, that's a good enough reason. No other
justification is needed or desired. (That's why I have so
many guns.)

The price will only go up. It may go down in the short term,
but the long term trend in prices is through the frickin roof.

Will they be banned? Who cares.
I don't live my life waiting for Washington DC to make a decision.
All they can ban is the future sales of ARs. All the more reason
to get one now.

Concerning any future bans. Don't listen to the chicken littles
that are screaming doom and gloom. The last AWB was a joke
and the next one will be too. The only thing is did was to drive
prices through the roof. All the more reason to buy an AR now.

They will never be able to outright ban the most popular rifle
in America. All of the gun sales since the election send a loud
and clear message to the Liberals in Washington DC.

Go buy yourself an AR and enjoy it.

bkb0000
01-29-09, 15:58
They will never be able to outright ban the most popular rifle
in America. All of the gun sales since the election send a loud
and clear message to the Liberals in Washington DC.

Go buy yourself an AR and enjoy it.

this is actually a really good point that is often under regarded/ignored for some reason. everyone's pissed about all this "panic buying" but the fact of the matter is that it's only helping our cause from a political/legislative perspective. no better way to show the world that a ban is no-go than to completely buy up every last scrap of available gun and part out there

lalakai
01-30-09, 12:23
if you buy/build a good M4, you won't loose money if you have to sell it. there are a couple ways to get an M4; buy or build.

if you buy, you will pay inflated prices right now, if you can find them.

if you build, some of the components will be inflated depending on where you get them from. many merchants are using this to add a bit to their bottom line, and you can't fault them for it. there are some who haven't increased their prices, or just a minor increase. regardless of where you buy the components from, they are in short supply and you will have a hard time with certain items....lowers and bolt carrier groups.

if you buy the entire platform, you can have it within weeks or maybe a couple months. if you buy the parts........................that could take longer.

is this a good time to buy? financially no, as most of the prices have risen based on a possible set of restrictions aimed at a broad class of firearms. Is it the right time to buy, in anticipation of a potential future ban??? much harder to crystal ball.

i'm buying odds and ends when i can find them, as i can use them in future builds, or to sell if someone needs one. I don't feel the urge to buy based on a future ban though there are times..............................................

sorry i can't give you a specific answer. good luck.

ps....buy your wife a couple gift certs for pedicures and manicures; start building up the bank account for your future purchase.