PDA

View Full Version : Why don’t we hear more about the Benelli M4 Super 90?

baffle Stack
12-02-06, 22:16
It seems like quite the shotgun to me. Are there any issues with it? I’m looking for a defensive shotgun so it’s either this or an 870 with some works done to it.

I like this because it already comes with ghost ring sights, an optic rail, a pistol grip, and a collapsible stock. The operating system is unique too. But I can’t help but think it’s more of a collector’s piece than a defensive piece. What do you guys think?

baffle Stack
12-03-06, 22:09
Holy crap the thing is $1500. No wonder it's not more popular.

MaceWindu
12-04-06, 01:04
The operating system is unique too. But I can’t help but think it’s more of a collector’s piece than a defensive piece.

I have an M1014 and I run it HARD. Benelli's (M4) are very "clean" shooting shotguns that r-u-n.

Mace

deadwood83
12-04-06, 20:27
With Benelli's comfortech thing in the stocks it makes the 870 feel like a mule (when you shoot it) but the 870 will always have a place just because it's so cheap (something Benelli probably has no plans to incorperate):D

Red Cobra
12-07-06, 17:26
Cybin - Have you considered the Benelli M1 Entry shotgun? I really enjoy mine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/428SCJ/100_1507.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/428SCJ/100_1097.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/428SCJ/100_1127.jpg

baffle Stack
12-07-06, 19:36
Very nice firearms Red Cobra. I have stayed away from that route because It is my understanding that Shotguns have to be 18 inches over here unless you want to register it. I would love a shorty but I don't want the hassle, extra cost and wait of SBRing a gun. Are you in the States? I'm assuming not by your gear.

Red Cobra
12-07-06, 20:10
Very nice firearms Red Cobra. I have stayed away from that route because It is my understanding that Shotgun's have to be 18 inches over here unless you want to register it. I would love a shorty but I don't want the hassle, extra cost and wait of SBRing a gun. Are you in the States? I'm assuming not by your gear.

Yes I am, Cybin, Tennessee. It's a great state for Class III firearms, and so is New Mexico. The 14" barrel on the Benelli M1 Entry is extremely handy.

It's really not a big hassle if you reside in the right state. Title II weapons are the way to go. I, also, like the Benelli M4, however I'm saving my money for something else (a firearm ofcourse!)

baffle Stack
12-08-06, 00:51
The opaque magazine and G36 threw me off.

damn now I really want an SBR.

Red Cobra
12-08-06, 16:13
Yes, Cybin, you gotta get a few SBR's. It's not a G36. It's an SL8-1 converted to look like a G36K. And New Mexico is a great place to have them (I know I used to live in the Desert Southwest!).

The same assault rifle used by the German KSK.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/428SCJ/100_1578.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/428SCJ/100_1078.jpg

Kisara
12-09-06, 19:53
Cybin, you might want to check out the July 2002 issue of SWAT magazine. You can order back issues. Louis Awerbuck wrote a good review article, and basically tore the poor Benelli a new one. I'll stick with my classic M1/M3S90's.

http://www.swatmag.com/archive_2002/july02.htm

DocGKR
12-09-06, 21:09
There is a reason why those military units that get a choice do NOT choose the Benelli...

Steve_Morrison
12-09-06, 23:23
I like the Benelli a lot, but they are sensitive to ammunition, the right lube and can be finicky with accessories attached. The M4 is too long, particlularly in the buttstock, for typical military and LE applications.

The Remington 870 is the reason mentioned by DOCGKR, it is an excellent weapon with none of the vices of the Benelli, additionally it is extremely reliable and durable and far superior in performance when it comes to accomodating a wide variety of ammunition. The pump action, simple design, and all steel construction make the Remington much more reliable and durable.

cohiba
12-10-06, 11:30
I have an M1014 and I run it HARD. Benelli's (M4) are very "clean" shooting shotguns that r-u-n.

Mace

I'm with Mace on this one. My 1014 runs perfectly. And so does my M92 Beretta. I'm just one of the few that will admit it. People who own these weapons will see how some people get on them and even though THEY have never had an issue (which is all that matters), they will go along with the group.

Nothing against the 870. I have a Scattergun Tech modified one that also has been flawless. Being a classic part of Americana certainly helps as well. I have no need for special ammo that some here may and I respect that difference. Just that sometimes because LE/Mil requirements or experiences are so vivid and their representatives are sometimes so well known, a civilian will invent a problem that does not exist. This applies to many weapons besides the Benelli.

Example: "The high bore axis of HK USP pistols is a hinderance to quick follow up shots. Get a Glock" Funny, the carjacker a few years ago didn't seem to care when he was looking at the front of my USPc .357Sig. He didn't even care that the .357 is no more effective that a 9mm. Wasn't well read I guess.

I would trust MY life with the Benelli. At the end of the day, that's all that matters. As always YMMV. That's what makes this a great country. ;)

baffle Stack
12-10-06, 13:52
Cybin, you might want to check out the July 2002 issue of SWAT magazine. You can order back issues. Louis Awerbuck wrote a good review article, and basically tore the poor Benelli a new one. I'll stick with my classic M1/M3S90's.

http://www.swatmag.com/archive_2002/july02.htm

Thats what I was looking for. Thanks Kisara.

Zak Smith
12-10-06, 22:19
I just shot a M4 this weekend, and compared it to my M1S90 (with a gazillion rounds through). The M4 was quite a bit heavier, but only had a little less recoil. The SX2 has less recoil and is "probably" about the same weight. Never had a problem with the M1 shooting 1 1/8oz or heavier (AA127's and Tac Slugs & buck are all I shoot). I'll stick with the M1...

FWIW, I see more people induce malfunctions in pump-action shotguns in 3-Gun than I see semi-autos malfunction (the vast majority of which are M1S90's also).

Al U. 5811
12-11-06, 23:03
Hey Kisara,
You think Louis tore it apart in an article. I took a Marine Corps issue M1014 to Gunsite and shot 260 Shotgun. I met Louie that week and got to AI for him for a couple weeks after that at Camp Pendleton. He won't bad mouth ANY weapon system in front of the troops that have to carry it, but yeah, not a very staunch supporter.

I found the M1014 to be picky at best. You have to find just the right amount of lube, the O-rings don't last for shit in a dusty/sandy environment, the collapseable stock is useless and too long for almost ALL shooters, and the front site windage adjustment just boggles my mind. No way to mount a light source. The slings we were issued are trash.

The pro's for the gun are- it shoots really fast(when you can get it to run consistantly), balance is decent, recoil is absorbed well by the piston system.

Overall, for me, I don't see any advantage over the 870 system. New shit is cool but the 870 system works and doesn't take retraining to field. I've trained with both and used the M1014 operationally. Of course these are only my observations. If I could figure out how to post pix I would.

Hey Cohiba,
I am a Beretta fan also. I have had very few problems with the gun and I have shot ALOT of rounds with them, at Gunsite, in many years carrying the M9 in the Marine Corps, and now as an Air Force CATM instructor. I even have a civy M9 of my own. I teach it and carry it with confidence.

M4Guru
04-04-07, 20:11
The one we got issued runs like crap, and the stock is huge. It won't even make the trip to Iraq because it's not worth the wasted space.

My M1S90 at home has been really reliable, but the 870 is my go-to shotgun.

rhino
04-04-07, 20:29
FWIW, I see more people induce malfunctions in pump-action shotguns in 3-Gun than I see semi-autos malfunction (the vast majority of which are M1S90's also).

That comes to my mind every time I hear someone say pumps are more reliable than self-loaders. I've seen more problems with pumps in the last 12 years or so.

As far as the M4 goes, I have a friend who has one and likes it. He's also 6'3" with relatively long arms and neck. I don't have a prayer of shooting it with the stock mounted propely. I'll stick with my 1100 and 11-87 with the shortest stocks I can find.

M4Guru
04-05-07, 06:38
I see more people induce malfunctions

Key word "induce". You can't fault the guns reliability for the operators ineptitude.

Zak Smith
04-05-07, 10:55
True, but some guns are simply easier to run because of how they operate, control placement, manual of arms, etc.

M4Guru
04-05-07, 13:57
I won't argue with that. All hail the Glock 19.:D

I think the Benelli is a PITA myself, with the bolt release and cartridge drop lever.

shoothouse artist
06-22-07, 02:03
is it true one cant import autoloading shotguns now according to federal law? i wonder if these fall under import or domestic?

friedcheese
12-29-07, 20:37
Thought I'd put my .02 in on the Benelli - M4 SUPER 90 aka M1014 which is my model (limited w / Flag).

I'm up over 1700+ rounds. It is flawless - but yes... like all firearms - it doesn't like certain ammo. It takes the bulk packs from Walmart (cheapest) stuff and eats it without issue. If you try to run low FPS in the M4 S90 it will choke and will not extract / feed a new round as per the manual (low recoil stuff is manual cycle).I've ran it in a full blown snow storm standing in over a foot of snow with the thing pure white and icy, ran perfect and 100 degree dusty days now issues.
It love's LE auto shotgun ammo! * TAP Red hull.

I have 2 870's and a 1100 Remington. They too run great. <--much CHEAPER if money is an issue. Or if you want to spend the cash you can dump more cash into a 870 then a Benelli. :) like I did.

Stan_TheGunNut
01-01-08, 13:44
is it true one cant import autoloading shotguns now according to federal law? i wonder if these fall under import or domestic?

No, it's not true. There are restrictions imposed on them though, which is why you see collapsable stocks selling for outrageous prices. Those are not imported anymore for sale to civilians.

Buck
01-01-08, 21:53
In the words of the BATFE....

As defined in section 921(a)(30)(D), of Title 18, United States
Code, the term "semiautomatic assault weapon" means a semiautomatic
shotgun that has at least 2 of the following features:

(i) a folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the
action of the weapon;

(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and;

(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.

Section 922(v)(1), of Title 18 U.S.C., provides that it shall be unlawful for any person to import, assemble, transfer, or possess a foreign semiautomatic assault weapon.

ZGXtreme
01-02-08, 13:54
For what it is worth, my M4 will reliably cycle reduced recoil Federal L.E. slugs without problem. Now, less lethal rounds, manual cycle only but with the L.E. stuff not a single hickup.