PDA

View Full Version : Glock 26

Gentoo
01-28-09, 19:14
Today my wife expressed an interest in getting herself a G26 as her carry piece. She felt it was lighter in her hand than the M&P9c.

I know it has been said that the 9mm Glocks were the most bombproof ones they have, but I just wanted to double check with the experts here, and make sure there wasn't anything I should know about them.

John_Wayne777
01-28-09, 21:28
The G26 is a good little carry piece. I have one myself. I'd encourage getting trigger time on both if possible before committing.

Cruncher Block
01-28-09, 21:56
I had a G27. I sold it because it my wife preferred the G19 and it made sense for me to just use that.

The 27 was reliable until some of the magazine springs started getting soft. That was easily and cheaply fixed.

As a rule, I replace the trigger return spring on a Glock with a NY1. The stock spring seems to be a consistent cause of "my Glock broke" stories. The NY1 is compressed rather than stretched during use. Just my little hang-up.

As far as the form factor of the 26/27/33, the short grip makes reloads different. You have to change your grip. I found it a tiny bit awkward. If I still had the little pistol, I'd probably use a G23 magazine with a finger grip on it for a spare -- more capacity and less fumble potential.

Paul45
01-28-09, 22:02
I have the G26 and the G27. The only issue I have is during a speed reload. I have a big hand and sometimes the skin gets pinched. It does not happen on my G23 or G19. The small frames shoot just as accurately as the mid size - just a shorter sight radius. If it fits her and she likes to shoot it, get it.

The Dumb Gun Collector
01-28-09, 22:08
I had a 26. It was uncannily accurate and 100 percent reliable. However, IMHO, it was too chunky and not worth the abbreviated grip.

tpd223
01-29-09, 01:58
+1 on the NY1 spring, it's the one thing I see break on Glcoks with any regularity.

The G26 is a very solid gun. I have two of them, and we have dozens of them in our program, never had an issue.

skyugo
01-29-09, 02:37
i just got one. sweet little gun. i'm gonna try it in a smart carry rig once my CCW comes. it's nearly as easy to shoot as my G19. if you shoot glocks a lot already, you'll pick it up and have no trouble hitting your mark.

i checked out a bunch of 380s and little stuff like that, they're not really much smaller than the glock. and if you go with the glock you've got the reliability, the super rustproof finish, the good mag capacity and the familiar shooting characteristics. :cool:

gtmtnbiker98
01-29-09, 10:16
The Glock 26 is an outstanding choice, but double-check the size comparison between the M&P9c and the Glock 26, the size difference isn't that much.

JBnTX
01-29-09, 10:42
Get the Glock 26 and put a Pearce Grip Extension on it.
http://www.pearcegrip.com/glock.htm#Glock_Model_26

You can't beat a Glock.

tpd223
01-30-09, 06:00
I use the Glock factory +2 base pads for my G26 mags, gives me 12 rounds in the mag.

I avoid the Pearce and Scherer (sp?) bases as they will pop off on you.

Sucks to have ammo and magazine guts all over the floor.

M4arc
01-30-09, 06:21
I have to respectfully disagree on the pinky or +2 extensions.

I too thought I needed a pinky extension when I first bought my G26 but all it did was make the grip nearly as long as my G19 and pinch the living crap out of my finger. I removed then and spent a couple range sessions getting used to the grip and I got used to it.

And I haven't meant a +2 extension that was reliable enough to bet my life on so...

I really like my G26 and it's become my daily CCW.

mark5pt56
01-30-09, 06:49
I have to respectfully disagree on the pinky or +2 extensions.

I too thought I needed a pinky extension when I first bought my G26 but all it did was make the grip nearly as long as my G19 and pinch the living crap out of my finger. I removed then and spent a couple range sessions getting used to the grip and I got used to it.

And I haven't meant a +2 extension that was reliable enough to bet my life on so...

I really like my G26 and it's become my daily CCW.

Agree on this as well.

Robb Jensen
01-30-09, 06:52
I use the Glock factory +2 base pads for my G26 mags, gives me 12 rounds in the mag.

I avoid the Pearce and Scherer (sp?) bases as they will pop off on you.

Sucks to have ammo and magazine guts all over the floor.

I've only seen that happen with the early extensions that don't have a locking insert which locks on the base plate. I too prefer the newer factory +2 extensions as they're longer than the Pearce ones.

ST911
01-30-09, 09:34
Today my wife expressed an interest in getting herself a G26 as her carry piece. She felt it was lighter in her hand than the M&P9c. I know it has been said that the 9mm Glocks were the most bombproof ones they have, but I just wanted to double check with the experts here, and make sure there wasn't anything I should know about them.

I know several ladies who carry G26s and G27s. Some others traded their G26 (or G27) up for a G19. All are quite happy.

I, too, eschew the pinky extensions.

gtmtnbiker98
01-30-09, 09:41
As previously noted, I have owned both a G26 and a G27 and cannot see the merit in adding a pinky extension as compared to just buying a G19/G23. I now own a G19 and my G23 is my EDC and find it no more difficult to conceal a G23 when compared to the baby Glocks.

Bighead
01-30-09, 09:43
I've only seen that happen with the early extensions that don't have a locking insert which locks on the base plate. I too prefer the newer factory +2 extensions as they're longer than the Pearce ones.

I feel the same way. I have just enough room to fit my whole hand on there and my wife says she feels more comfortable holding the G26 with the mag extensions.

Beat Trash
01-30-09, 18:38
I have owned a Glock 26 for over 10 years now. Great gun.

I also own the M&P9c. The M&P is slightly larger, but not much. But if your wife prefers the l 26, then get her one.

I have two mags that I left stock, and two magazines with the Pierce grip extension installed. When shooting the G-26, I was surprised who little difference it made for me in using the extension or not. I just curl my pinky finger under the base plate.

I have heard of issues in using +2 extensions with the factory spring. In time feeding issues are alleged to come about due to the spring designed for the stock mag tube now having to function in the longer mag tube (now longer due to the +2).

While a bit on the large size, the Glock 26 is my front pocket shorts gun (cargo type pockets) using a thin kydex pocket holster made by FIST.

Many buy guns for wives based on what the husband likes. If your wife likes the Glock 26, then by all means, get her one. She could do alot worse than the Glock 26.

I trust my life to mine...

Cruncher Block
01-30-09, 21:37
Many buy guns for wives based on what the husband likes.

See... I'm just the opposite. I bought my gun based on what my wife liked. :D

I figure I'm more willing to adapt than she is.

Gentoo
01-31-09, 00:23
Thanks everyone for the great replies.

I found a local range that has G26s for rent so we are going to go there and put some rounds downrange with one to make sure she is happy with it.

I have mixed feelings about the pinky grip/mag extension. I can see why they would be useful, but on the other hand, add the +2 and you are millimeters away from having a G19 in the first place.

She did like the S&W, but the Glock won out by a very, very close margin, due to being lighter. She could drop the mag on the S&W without changing her grip though, and liked the backstrap deal.

tradja
01-31-09, 02:29
Let us know how the range session goes. My wife is going to a local 1-day women's course next weekend and asked to use my G26. At the range, she is shockingly accurate with it (she's only mildly interested in shooting and has had only my mediocre informal instruction).

FWIW, I've carried my G26 for 2 years and I love the short grip for concealment (5' 9" 150lbs). I shot a Front Sight course with it and I agree, they're surprisingly accurate and much more shootable than you'd expect.

Mine was used and came with 1 each Pearce and Scherer +0 pinky extensions. I shoot without them just as well as with, so I carry just a flat baseplate mag in the gun. The 10rd Pearce and Scherer mags stay at home -- I carry a G19 mag as a spare.

ROCKET20_GINSU
02-01-09, 02:11
I'm Looking at picking up a G26 as well, to round out my current collection, G19 and G34. I've read alot of accounts of the G26 being difficult to Pocket Carry. Too bulky, too thick, too heavy etc... I have a S&W 640 w/ Crimson Trace Grips and a Mika Pocket holster and have zero problem carrying in anything save dress paints / slacks. I would like to pocket carry a G26 but would it be too big a stretch? I feel like I have the room and would like a little more...ooomph:D

So does anyone pocket carry a G26 comfortably every day and if so what pocket holster do you use? The Fist series pocket holsers look promising... I own a Milt Sparks VMII that I carry IWB with anyway...I'm just looking to go a little better armed when my clothing ensemble doesn't permit IWB comfortably.

Thanks!
GU

Paul45
02-01-09, 10:27
I am 6' and 200lbs. I have troble pocket carrying the G26/G27 without really baggy pants. I use belt carry for them and my other Glocks. I pocket holster carry a Wather PPS 9mm or a S&S342PD. I use a KT-3AT in my back pocket.
You need cargo pants or be real big to pocket cary a G26 easily - it can be done but I have other options.

dbrowne1
02-01-09, 10:47
I have had a G26 for several years and use the factory +2 extensions without issue, with factory springs. I was told (though I cannot remember now by whom) that the G26 and G19 magazine springs are the same. If that is in fact true then one would think that a G26 magazine with a +2 should not be an issue with factory magazine springs. I tried using Wolff extra power magazine springs and could not load the full 12 into the magazine.

I originally bought the G26 thinking that it would be a versatile gun for pocket/ankle/abdomen/IWB carry, but it's really too large for pocket carry even without any magazine extension unless you are wearing big baggy cargo pants. I still use it in a Smartcarry sometimes but a 642 is much lighter and easier for pocket/ankle. Other than that I probably would have bought a G19 if I could have seen into the future on how I'd actually use it, which is IWB 99% of the time.

tpd223
02-02-09, 02:41
The magazine springs for the Glock 26 and Glock 19 are the same. If the spring can push 15 rounds through a G19 tube then it shouldn't have an issue pushing 12 rounds through a G26 tube.

In my experience, there is absolutely no reliability issue with using the Glock +2 magazine bases. In fact I have never seen a stoppage with any of my G26s or those of our officers using this system.

The aftermarket bases do have issues, thus I avoid them.

I like the G26 with the +2 bases, works for me. Others may think a G19 to be a better choice, might be, but a G19 doesn't work for me as a BUG due to uniform and concealment issues.
YMMV.

teufeldog
02-02-09, 12:41
Do you have a decent online source for these Glock +2 magazine extensions? How much difference in size is there between those and just using a G19 15-round mag with the adapter sleeve?

oldtexan
02-02-09, 13:15
Thanks everyone for the great replies.

I found a local range that has G26s for rent so we are going to go there and put some rounds downrange with one to make sure she is happy with it.

I have mixed feelings about the pinky grip/mag extension. I can see why they would be useful, but on the other hand, add the +2 and you are millimeters away from having a G19 in the first place.

She did like the S&W, but the Glock won out by a very, very close margin, due to being lighter. She could drop the mag on the S&W without changing her grip though, and liked the backstrap deal.

I don't think you mentioned this (please forgive me if you did), but how is she planning on carrying? I think that the chosen carry method makes a huge difference in the type of gun (s) that you can/will carry.

Also does she have any carry experience thus far? If so, what method?

teufeldog
02-02-09, 13:18
My wife wants to carry a pistol and that got me to wondering how other women carry their pistols? Mine doesn't carry a big purse around.

Beat Trash
02-02-09, 14:55
So does anyone pocket carry a G26 comfortably every day and if so what pocket holster do you use? The Fist series pocket holsers look promising...

GU
I use the Fist Kydex pocket holster for my Glock 26. It works well in cargo type pockets. This is my summer gun for days I don't want to use a Glock 19 in an IWB "tuckable" type of holster. I've used this holster/gun combo for about 6 years or so.

This is about the largest and heaviest "pocket gun" I would want to actually carry in a pocket. But it is the smallest gun I own that I can still shoot at or near the same level as a duty size gun.

I own a Kahr PM9 and A S&W 642. Both are easier to carry in a pocket, yet I can not shoot either of them at the same level as the Glock 26.

Life is full of compromises...

tpd223
02-03-09, 02:40
"Do you have a decent online source for these Glock +2 magazine extensions? How much difference in size is there between those and just using a G19 15-round mag with the adapter sleeve?

I get mine from OMB Guns in Lenexa KS, I think I've also bought them from Glockmeister.

This magazine set-up is a bit more compact than a G19 mag with one of the boots attached.

veritas76
11-14-10, 13:37
Re: "The magazine springs for the Glock 26 and Glock 19 are the same. If the spring can push 15 rounds through a G19 tube then it shouldn't have an issue pushing 12 rounds through a G26 tube."

I called Glock and spoke to a technical rep and he confirmed that the Glock 26 mag springs are exactly the same as the Glock 19 springs.

JodyH
11-14-10, 16:12
So does anyone pocket carry a G26 comfortably every day and if so what pocket holster do you use?
I do.
DeSantis Nemesis.
I wear a lot of cargo shorts and carpenter style pants and the G26 carries just fine in them.
Probably would not work in jeans with smaller pockets.

P2000
11-15-10, 13:02
So does anyone pocket carry a G26 comfortably every day and if so what pocket holster do you use? The Fist series pocket holsers look promising... I own a Milt Sparks VMII that I carry IWB with anyway...I'm just looking to go a little better armed when my clothing ensemble doesn't permit IWB comfortably.

Thanks!
GU

I pocket carry in an aholster kydex pocket holster. What prints the most in a pocket carry G26 is the edge of the magazine. A mag extension makes it worse. I just use regular G26 mags. You will find that your pinky doesn't really contribute much to your grip anyways. It is a little chunky in the pocket compared to a j-frame, but it is easily done and not noticeable in most of my wardrobe, but when it is too big I go for the j-frame.

keysersoze
11-15-10, 13:18
I own and carry a Glock 26, and although it is a very good and reliable shooter, the grip is quite fat (especially when I ran it with a Crimson Trace Grip) compared to the M&P9c.

I'm in the process of selling my 26 to acquire a M&P9c :)

Alex F
11-15-10, 13:32
The Glock 26 is an outstanding choice, but double-check the size comparison between the M&P9c and the Glock 26, the size difference isn't that much.

I felt that the 26 was distinctly smaller.

Both the 9c and the 26 are almost TOO small unless the shooter is tiny.

jmlshooter
11-15-10, 14:24
I carry mine with a Galco Ultra Deep Cover, and I too carry the factory +2's.

The pistol has never failed to function with that magazine.

The only time the pistol has failed to feed is with truncated cone bullets getting hung up on the ramp. It doesn't seem to like those all that well.

Mike169
11-15-10, 17:29
I prefer the GAP floor plates over the + extensions. I got my Glock26 for concealability, the GAP floor plates allow a more positive grip without adding to the length of the grip..

Oh, I should mention I switched from a 9c to the glock.. The glock is a tad smaller, but also the grip contour is more comfortable for IWB carry. I found the seam where the adjustable backstraps on the 9c met the grip frame were sharp and uncomfortable on my love handles..

BTW, love my G26, and on the rare occasion that I square off and target shoot it, I can drive tacks with it :)

Doru
11-16-10, 02:59
G26 is my off-duty gun. I carry it everyday.

It shoots accurately, and is as reliable as any other Glock.

It's roughly the same size as a J Frame with more bullets and easier reloads as well.

Regarding the +2 extensions, as mentioned they bring the gun up to a G19 size. The nice thing about the G26 is it's size.

Drew

mikejg
11-16-10, 14:02
I'm surprised the GAP baseplates are just now coming up. They are great, especially when drawing.

Keith E.
11-16-10, 14:32
With my hands I find that using a G-19 mag w/o a sleeve works pretty well as the mag being smaller than the grip and then the baseplate right below that feels like a finger groove of sorts. Added benefits are being able to use the mags in both pistols and no finger pinch on a reload.

Keith

stifled
11-16-10, 14:49
The G26 is a good little carry piece. I have one myself. I'd encourage getting trigger time on both if possible before committing.

I'd just add that the only difference between the G26 and generation 3 G19 in my experience besides the obvious is that the recoil spring seems to wear faster in my G26.

DCsampson
11-16-10, 18:55
I have been carrying a G-26 in an RCS pocket holster off and on for about 6 months now. It was something that I wanted to try for the summer months when the G-17 in an IWB was just to much to conceal under a t-shirt. It works ok for me when wearing baggy cargo shorts and not well otherwise. Seems that the 26 is almost as concealable in the IWB as in the pocket and quicker to deploy. I just feel it's less likely to be noticed in the pocket.

taylodr
11-16-10, 19:29
I love my 26. Great gun, no problems.

tradja
11-16-10, 20:20
I have been carrying a G-26 in an RCS pocket holster off and on for about 6 months now. It was something that I wanted to try for the summer months when the G-17 in an IWB was just to much to conceal under a t-shirt. It works ok for me when wearing baggy cargo shorts and not well otherwise. Seems that the 26 is almost as concealable in the IWB as in the pocket and quicker to deploy. I just feel it's less likely to be noticed in the pocket.

This was my experience as well. On me (5' 9" 150lbs), it takes a pretty baggy pair of pants or shorts to pocket carry my G26 (Mikas pocket holster). When I first got my CHL, pocket carry was preferred due to specific occupational considerations, but I'm glad I don't even attempt it anymore.

AngeredKabar
01-11-11, 19:36
Has anyone used the Wolff recoil guide rod and springs? Would I be better off getting one from Glock or does the Wolff one work excellent too?

willowofwisp
01-11-11, 19:45
Has anyone used the Wolff recoil guide rod and springs? Would I be better off getting one from Glock or does the Wolff one work excellent too?

I would stick with OEM

tpd223
01-11-11, 23:27
I would stick with OEM

Strongly concur with this opinion.

uwe1
01-11-11, 23:58
My G26 is the only gun I ever carry. It's fairly comfortable for right front pocket carry with baggy jeans and cargo shorts/pants. I have it in a leather IWB holster with a metal clip. It doesn't fit tightly into the holster anymore, because I thinned down the trigger guard, so I'm able to draw quickly from the pocket by just slightly nudging the holster off with my thumb.

I'm not a big fan of the mag extensions. As M4arc has already said, they pinch the hell out of you. The area just under the front strap/magwell and where the extension meets tends to pinch the pinky almost every shot. Both my wife and I experienced this and it became very uncomfortable after a few mags. They got ditched. I've used the OEM +2s, Pearce +0 grip extensions, and the Scherer +2 extension. They all pinched. Besides, like others have already mentioned, you're not far from a G19 at that point.

I have a VMII on order for the G19 and I look forward to trying that setup, but the convenience of being able to drop the G26 into my front right pocket and a G19 or 17 mag into my left front pocket helps me be more consistent with my CCW. By the way, I'm 5'7" and about 145 lbs and it isn't easy to tell that I'm carrying.

Drew78
01-12-11, 05:34
My 26 is my EDC. It really is an amazing little sucker! I have the GAP floorplates, Ameriglo sights, and a Vickers Extended mag release. Everything else is OEM.

I was at the range yesterday and tried running my first "happy stick" through it. What a bitch to load, especially in the freezing temps we have here now... I had heard people having issues with those extended mags but I had none. I suspect that near the end of the mag people fatigue and start allowing for too much movement and get some limp wristing. 30 or so shots in a row is a LONG time of shooting. My buddy looked over at me like "what the hell are you shooting" when I finished the mag. It worked fine :D

She looks like crap due to carrying it 24/7 IWB, but shoots and runs like a dream!

-Drew

p.s. I Have my GSSF papers in, I also have a GEN4 G26 on order at the LGS. It feels really good in the hand, cant wait to try it out.

Eyefly
01-12-11, 12:36
The 26 is a great little gun. I think pretty much everyone likes it. I don't know how you guys let it flop around in the pocket. I tried to carry it that way and it ws s too loose. I usually carry a s&w 340 pd now because its lighter.

AR15thur
01-12-11, 14:18
Any luck finding one online recently? Even before the recent Glock-hate in the media they've been kinda hard to find

Dobie
01-12-11, 15:48
G26 with Talon Grips, Crimson Trace Laserguard, Vickers mag release in a Cross Breed Supertuck for EDC. G17 mag in my weak side front pocket all stoked with HST. I have about 2500 rounds through it in the last few months and its been flawless.

madisonsfinest
01-12-11, 19:36
I carry a Glock 27 for ccw. I don't like the extenders because with my grip it pulls the front sight down. I use the GAP plate on the bottom, which I like. I only have a couple hundred rounds through it, but I'm contemplating switching to a G23.

Seraph
01-12-11, 20:10
As previously noted, I have owned both a G26 and a G27 and cannot see the merit in adding a pinky extension as compared to just buying a G19/G23. I now own a G19 and my G23 is my EDC and find it no more difficult to conceal a G23 when compared to the baby Glocks.

Definitely agree with this.

jamaicanj
01-14-11, 16:00
I have a G 26 and I love it. It is my favorite Glock. I did not think that I could enjoy it anymore than I already did, until I bought the GAP floorplates for the mags as they help to solidify my grip.

P2000
01-14-11, 18:33
I bought my third glock a few months ago, a gen 2 police trade in G26. I am dead set on pocket carry, and was looking for something more effective than my j frame. I added the NY1 spring, replaced the beat up looking slide catch, and bought a pocket holster from Aholster. On Monday, I finally took first place at a local IDPA match, out of 20 competitors! I have been lingering at 4th through 2nd place for a while now, usually competing with my G19, and sometimes with the G26. It surprises me that the little G26 does not really handicap me at all. Amazing pistol. About 1000 rounds through it so far, flawless.

one
01-14-11, 18:39
P2000

Glad to see someone else is trying out the Aholster. I've got mine on order and waiting it's arrival now. On weekends I've been carrying the little 26 in my right front pocket, chamber empty & full magazine, to see how the weight is. So far weight wise is no problem at all. The holster will (should) solve any canting or flopping around and printing issues in the pocket.

You're the first member I've come across so far that's even mentioned this holster. How are you liking it?

P2000
01-14-11, 19:20
Well honestly it is my first pocket holster for my first G26, so I am no expert and can't compare it to another G26 pocket holster. That disclaimer being said, I can in no way think of any improvement that could be made to it. The fit is perfect, positive yet not tight at all. You want to be able to pull the pistol out, not the pistol and the holster out. The Aholster has a hook shape below the muzzle, and a "barb" above the rear sight. When I practice drawing, the holster stays put and the pistol comes out of my pocket FAST. Only one time out of about 200 in the baggiest shorts does it come out of the pocket on the pistol. When that happens, a flick of the wrist or push with the weak side thumb sends it flying off without drama. It has a nice contour and doesn't really add any bulk. And it looks cool. I have no reason to try another pocket G26 holster.

I have learned that different pants and shorts have different shaped pockets. Jeans that have small "U" shaped pocket entrances(pardon my terminology) are the most difficult to draw from. Pockets that begin up high centrally, and end down low laterally are easiest, if that makes sense. Also, some pockets themselves are just too small to fit a G26 in. Shop wisely.

one
01-14-11, 22:47
That sounds pretty good for a gun like the 26. I mostly wear 550 jeans day to day and the forward pockets on mine are reasonably loose and roomy. I know from "holster less" practice that I can draw the gun well when it's situated correctly in the pocket.

It seems to be easy to place your hand in the forward pocket and grasp the little 26 in ready mode. I'm finding no problem in obtaining a firing grip in the pocket the same as on a belt holster.

Of course I just need to securely sync everything up between gun, holster, and pocket.

DHart
01-15-11, 01:39
Lots of great comments in this thread!

Not sure what I can add, but some personal observations.

How your wife will carry is a major determinant in her decision making process.

As Glock fan, I have a diverse variety of Glocks. And I prefer IWB carry, not pocket (nor purse ;) )carry. It would not seem likely, to me, that a woman would carry in a pocket, but there must be some exceptions to that statement - women who usually wear non-fashion pants.

I have and like the G26. I like it best with the Pearce pinky support. But with or without the finger support, I find that with rare exception, I can carry a G19 about as easily with the benefits of significantly higher capacity, better shootability, and better terminal ballistics. (Remember, I don't pocket carry.)

I also have an M&P Compact (happens to be .40 cal). The G26 feels a bit trimmer and more nimble to me than the M&P Compact, but they're both excellent guns. (As an aside, I equate the M&P40C to a G30, both 10+1 guns about the same size. I'll take the G30 in that decision. I don't usually carry either of those guns, but if we're forced to return to 10 rnd mags again - God forbid, the G30 and M&P40C will loom as top choice defense guns.)

If your wife can drill down to her carry method and spend some time shooting the G26, M&P9C, and G19 side by side... that should be instrumental in helping her decide for sure which way to go.