PDA

View Full Version : Good Bungee Type Sling

firecop019
01-28-09, 22:45
The sling will be goin on a couple of department AR15's and 870's. I'm looking for something very simple that will allow an officer to toss it over their shoulder as they are getting out of the patrol car.

Is there any single point loop slings that allow you to steady the rifle but still remain easy to use?

We have one 2 point sling (I have no idea what manufacturer) and it's nice but if you don't train with it you have to think about how it's supposed to go on. And, we hardly ever train with them so that's why I want something easy to use.

thopkins22
01-28-09, 23:25
I'm certainly NOT using slings in a professional manner but I have a couple of questions. How is getting into a single point sling any easier than a decent two point? It's still over the head and under one shoulder.... And what real benefit does a bungie sling offer that a properly adjusted regular single point(or two point) sling doesn't offer?

ETA...And do you really want your officers getting into a gunfight with a weapon they have so little training with with that properly using a sling poses a problem? Training>Sling

Danny Boy
01-28-09, 23:35
The Tactical Link sling whilst pricey is pretty cool. If you're looking for a really good bungee sling it's probably worth checking out. It's very comfortable and has the right mix of stretch and rigidity in the bungee so it doesn't bounce all over the shop but can be extended easily and removes the shock from being dropped.

jsebens
01-28-09, 23:39
The only bungee sling out there worth using is the one from John Willis (Original SOE Gear). Buy from Tactical Response Gear if you don't want to wait for a very long time.

firecop019
01-29-09, 03:02
I'm certainly NOT using slings in a professional manner but I have a couple of questions. How is getting into a single point sling any easier than a decent two point? It's still over the head and under one shoulder.... And what real benefit does a bungie sling offer that a properly adjusted regular single point(or two point) sling doesn't offer?

ETA...And do you really want your officers getting into a gunfight with a weapon they have so little training with with that properly using a sling poses a problem? Training>Sling

It's the whole snaps, buckles and what not and then having to adjust it to each officer. 3/4 of the department I'm not worried about, it's the other 1/4 that has issues with NEW things. My hope is that we'll be able to get the same type of sling for all the long guns so those those who take the slug gun over the rifle will at least be able to use the rifle sling if they have to.

rob_s
01-29-09, 05:31
I would be concerned with anyone so much as touching a firearm that can't understand how to put on a simple VCAS or VTAC or Boonie Packer 2-pt sling.

In our qualifications I'm about one more idiot away from simply banning from the outset anyone that comes to the line with their sling all jacked up. Nothing good ever comes of them.

JSGlock34
01-29-09, 19:17
I've wondered if anyone has tried the VTAC single point sling (http://www.511tactical.com/browse/Home/Law-Enforcement/Accessories/Slings/VTAC-Single-Point-Sling/D/30100/P/1:100:10000:10900:10913/I/59125). Viking Tactics two point slings are among the best in the business, and I've used several versions, but I have never heard anything about their single point offering. According to the overview, you can adjust the sling from a fixed length to a 'dynamic bungee action'.

28_days
01-29-09, 20:00
I would be concerned with anyone so much as touching a firearm that can't understand how to put on a simple VCAS or VTAC or Boonie Packer 2-pt sling.

In our qualifications I'm about one more idiot away from simply banning from the outset anyone that comes to the line with their sling all jacked up. Nothing good ever comes of them.

What Boonie Packer 2-pt sling do you recommend? Their site isn't very user friendly, and I'm a bit overwhelmed by the choices. PS: I have a Magpul MOE if that affects the decision. Thanks!

US Autoweapons
01-29-09, 20:01
Check out the Tactical Tailor CQB Sling. It is well built and priced right at $50.

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/cqbsling.aspx

Drummer
01-29-09, 20:58
I'm not so sure that the words 'good' and 'bungee sling' belong in the same sentence.

In my opinion you have two options other that a simple carry sling:
1. Wilderness Tactical single point sling.

2. Vickers Combat Application Sling.

Go with the one that best fits the mission.

rob_s
01-30-09, 04:13
What Boonie Packer 2-pt sling do you recommend? Their site isn't very user friendly, and I'm a bit overwhelmed by the choices. PS: I have a Magpul MOE if that affects the decision. Thanks!

The sling section of the site appears to be down. :(

Failure2Stop
01-30-09, 06:35
I don't have a recommendation per say, so if that is all you are looking for, just skip over this post.

I have yet to use a bungee sling that actually works in real use. Yeah, they might keep the gun attached to your body while you are standing around, but that's about it. I have used a few bungee slings, but definately not all of them, so maybe, just maybe, there might be one or two out there that actually work. However, I have yet to identify an area in which a bungee is superior to a "rigid" sling, except for a breaching shotgun that needs to be kept tight to the user when not in use, which falls into a whole different category of employment.

I also highly recommend thoroughly testing the equipment prior to purchase. While this may seem to be common sense, and I in no way assume that you are a idiot, there are a whole lot of things bulk purchased on the recommendation of someone that is not intimately familiar with your employment needs. Sling "X" may be great for providing the shooter with a marksmanship aid, but that isn't going to help an entry team, while Sling "Y" may provide excellent strong to weak side transitions, but without an end-plate for mounting the sling it is useless.

Single-point slings, by design, will offer no aid to marksmanship, unless they are specifically designed as such, in which case they will have to be mounted near the front of the handguard. Really, these type of one-points have no place other than as a target-shooting accessory, or limited application with tactical precision shooters. Most single-point (and 2-point) slings are pretty easy to fit and don, as long as the user has a basic understanding of, and training with, the sling.

MarineSniper8541
01-30-09, 12:27
Single Point Elastic Cord Sling

or

Single Point Elastic Cord, Snap Shackle

from

http://www.northeasttactical.com/acatalog/Basic_Products.html

In over 15 years of trying out different flavors of single point slings. This is the best I have come across. They key to a good bungie sling is not using too much bungie which results in too much bounce if you are moving after transitioning from your primary. This is why lots of people have come to hate bungie slings. Northeast has hit the nail on the head in using the right materials and JUST enough bungie of the RIGHT elasticity.

Tactical Tailor uses too much bungie, the bungie is not stiff enough, AND they use the HK hook. (see videos below)

Don't get the HK (snap hook) type or mash hook type. I only like the two I listed. The HK type can release if you twist it the "wrong" way and the mash hook bends easily and scratches the shit out of your weapon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l69zIsdHxs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyARaE0p_2o

JSantoro
01-30-09, 14:59
A bungee sling is fantastic, presuming that you want the stock of the weapon to bounce back up (if you ditch the weapon to transition to a secondary or use your hands for some other work) and smack you right in the mouth or jaw.

I thought once was a fluke, but it took 3 occurrances, including 1 chipped tooth and a bit tongue, to swear off elastic slings of any sort, forever. The carry comfort or tight tuck gained was not worth the personal injuries. I'm not saying that it happens to everybody (hope not!), but it's something to consider.

ETA: Just read the above. Perhaps my sling's fit was jacked up; too late!

woodandsteel
01-30-09, 15:18
I don't have a recommendation per say, so if that is all you are looking for, just skip over this post.

I have yet to use a bungee sling that actually works in real use. Yeah, they might keep the gun attached to your body while you are standing around, but that's about it. I have used a few bungee slings, but definately not all of them, so maybe, just maybe, there might be one or two out there that actually work. However, I have yet to identify an area in which a bungee is superior to a "rigid" sling, except for a breaching shotgun that needs to be kept tight to the user when not in use, which falls into a whole different category of employment.

I also highly recommend thoroughly testing the equipment prior to purchase. While this may seem to be common sense, and I in no way assume that you are a idiot, there are a whole lot of things bulk purchased on the recommendation of someone that is not intimately familiar with your employment needs. Sling "X" may be great for providing the shooter with a marksmanship aid, but that isn't going to help an entry team, while Sling "Y" may provide excellent strong to weak side transitions, but without an end-plate for mounting the sling it is useless.

Single-point slings, by design, will offer no aid to marksmanship, unless they are specifically designed as such, in which case they will have to be mounted near the front of the handguard. Really, these type of one-points have no place other than as a target-shooting accessory, or limited application with tactical precision shooters. Most single-point (and 2-point) slings are pretty easy to fit and don, as long as the user has a basic understanding of, and training with, the sling.

I need to tag this post. In case I need to explain mysef to my firearms instructor later.

My issued rifle at work has a single point, bungy type sling. I hate it. When I "drop" my rifle to transition to my handgun, I find the rifle gets in between my legs, or comes up under my chin. My feeling is that it came with the rifle just to make it easier on training us.

I am building a new patrol rifle. When it is completed, I will be using this sling from Specter Gear http://www.spectergear.com/sop_sling.htm. I don't know if it is the "best" sling or not out there. But it is the sling that is on my wife's rifle. And it is way better than the one I am using now.

Thanks, failure to stop, I knew there was a reason I didn't like my sling. Now I have a way to put it into words.

MarineSniper8541
01-30-09, 16:38
Bungee slings should only have 2-3 inches of rigid bungee cord built into them. Almost all makers of them over-do it grossly.

It should only have enough rigid bungee to stretch just enough to allow you to get the rifle into your shoulder and to be able to transition between strong and weak side.

As per my post above. It the the use of far too much cord that makes for such horrible bungee sling and has let to people dismissing their worth as a tactical sling. You won't be disappointed if you get one from Northeast Tactical.

Also, remember folks, a single point sling is meant for direct action use and is only meant to retain your primary and keep it close to your body if you have to transition to your secondary.

If you are the kind of person that doesnt even CARRY a secondary weapon, then there's not much use for you to have a single point sling unless you are using it for the purpose of quick release in vehicles and such.

Failure2Stop
01-31-09, 07:55
Just another little blip- the method used during the transition to the side-arm or from strong to support shoulder play a big part in the sling interaction.

While they seem like very simple concepts, they can either be very easy or a pain in the asss depending on what technique is employed. I have yet to have issue with a normal static sling, properly adjusted, trained with, and correctly used that a bungee would make better.

Matching the sling to the gun is also an important part of employment. A single point of any type will suck on an A2, for example.

But that is just me with the slings I have used.

firecop019
02-04-09, 03:00
I think we are going to try the Urban Defender (http://http://www.striketactical.com/store/details.asp?id=96). I think it has about the right amount of elasticity. It's simple, functional and fairly cheap.

Thanks for the help!

chadbag
02-04-09, 03:08
Blue Force Gear has a new bungie version of their UDC single point sling. I am not an expert but they just came in today and look pretty nice. Not too much bungie.

Josh-L
02-04-09, 03:46
Blue Force Gear has a new bungie version of their UDC single point sling. I am not an expert but they just came in today and look pretty nice. Not too much bungie.

Beat me too it. I was going to order a few tomorrow to check out.