PDA

View Full Version : Upper Questions

gringle84
12-03-06, 00:55
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and learning more about the AR platform every day. Great forum you have here and I'm glad to have found you guys n Gals.

Got a few questions and hope you can excuse my lack of knowledge but I'm learning.

I would like to know who makes a good 7.62x39 upper and what issues will be needed to address any problems, like do I need to change out the buffer & spring in the lower with this caliber etc..? What magazines are dependable?

Also looking for a good quality .22 caliber upper with the same questions as above.

When changing out the Bolt and or the complete bolt carrier group, isn't it necessary to check for headspace each time? I've read differing opinions that it's not necessary all the time.

I'm not new to firearms, just the AR platform. Thanks to my sweet wife I had an early Christmas with a Bushmaster M4A3, a Yugo AK and a Ruger P345 and she has a slew of stuff I haven't or can't open until Christmas. She wanted me to find a hobby to enjoy and I'm getting hooked on the AR. With two range outings and just about 500 rounds through the Bushmaster, I know that's not a lot but I had to break in the others too, I'm very happy so far.

Next year I'm looking into a POF lower and go from there, nothing fancy, I like KISS when it comes to firearms and Harley's.

Robert

C4IGrant
12-03-06, 08:19
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and learning more about the AR platform every day. Great forum you have here and I'm glad to have found you guys n Gals.

Got a few questions and hope you can excuse my lack of knowledge but I'm learning.

I would like to know who makes a good 7.62x39 upper and what issues will be needed to address any problems, like do I need to change out the buffer & spring in the lower with this caliber etc..? What magazines are dependable?

Also looking for a good quality .22 caliber upper with the same questions as above.

When changing out the Bolt and or the complete bolt carrier group, isn't it necessary to check for headspace each time? I've read differing opinions that it's not necessary all the time.

I'm not new to firearms, just the AR platform. Thanks to my sweet wife I had an early Christmas with a Bushmaster M4A3, a Yugo AK and a Ruger P345 and she has a slew of stuff I haven't or can't open until Christmas. She wanted me to find a hobby to enjoy and I'm getting hooked on the AR. With two range outings and just about 500 rounds through the Bushmaster, I know that's not a lot but I had to break in the others too, I'm very happy so far.

Next year I'm looking into a POF lower and go from there, nothing fancy, I like KISS when it comes to firearms and Harley's.

Robert

I don't know if there is really a dependable AR10 available. Lot's of companies make them though (DPMS, Armalite, etc).

For the .22, I would buy a dedicated upper as the accuracy just isn't going to be there with a 1/9 or 1/7 twist barrel. Keep .22 bolt with the upper and you won't have to worry about head spacing.

C4

gringle84
12-03-06, 12:01
C4,

The uppers I'm looking into will all be dedicated uppers for 7.62x39 and .22 cal.

Mainly I'm trying to find out who makes a quality, dependable upper with the complete BCG in those two calibers. I know Bushmaster offers a .22 upper and I have seen a Colt used 7.62x39 upper. I plan on buying new and wanted to know what company's make decent ones along with what magazines are good to go without problems.

On headspace, I was mainly referring to 5.56 and when buying a backup bolt or BCG, isn't checking for proper headspace before use a normal procedure? I've read opinions that it isn't necessary. I always try to error on the safe side and would think that checking for proper headspace is a must.

Thanks for the response!

Robert

C4IGrant
12-03-06, 13:37
C4,

The uppers I'm looking into will all be dedicated uppers for 7.62x39 and .22 cal.

Mainly I'm trying to find out who makes a quality, dependable upper with the complete BCG in those two calibers. I know Bushmaster offers a .22 upper and I have seen a Colt used 7.62x39 upper. I plan on buying new and wanted to know what company's make decent ones along with what magazines are good to go without problems.

On headspace, I was mainly referring to 5.56 and when buying a backup bolt or BCG, isn't checking for proper headspace before use a normal procedure? I've read opinions that it isn't necessary. I always try to error on the safe side and would think that checking for proper headspace is a must.

Thanks for the response!

Robert

I am sorry, I read 7.62 and though AR10 (my bad). Reading comprehension would be good once in awhile. :D

I believe Colt makes the best (and maybe only) 7.62 upper. CProducts makes the best mags for these (in SS).

Unless I missed it, I don't believe that BM will sell just the .22 upper. You will also need a magwell insert. Ciener seems to work OK for most people.

You can get a go/no go gauge for head spacing if you like, but I wouldn't worry about it with a new back up bolt.

C4