PDA

View Full Version : Lee Reloader and Privi

csun_00
01-29-09, 10:22
I was trying to remove some primers from my stash of Privi 5.56 and it appears like I have warped and probably broken the guide bolt. Is this an issue with the Privi? Or was this operator error?

markm
01-29-09, 12:13
PRIV primers definitely deform when you pop them out. I can't feel a difference on my reloader, but they do bend when you remove them.

csun_00
01-29-09, 15:07
Should I longer try to reload the Privi or will the guide bolt continue to be a problem because of the reloader I choose.

markm
01-29-09, 15:19
I'm not sure. I'm not familiar with your set up. But I'd guess that your Lee should be able to handle the brass.

MarshallDodge
01-29-09, 15:26
Could it be that you accidentally got a berdan primed case in the mix? That will do a number on things in a real hurry.

csun_00
01-29-09, 15:46
I am new to this how does one distinguish a berdan case?

MarshallDodge
01-29-09, 15:56
The easiest way is to take a flashlight and look down into the case through the mouth at the flash hole. If it has two holes then it is berdan, one hole is boxer. If you have a berdan case the decapping pin will hit the area between the two holes and put stress on the pin.

csun_00
01-29-09, 15:58
Makes perfect sense I will check them and get back to you all. Thanks for the info.

rat31465
01-29-09, 18:13
I have not ever tried to load any Privi, nor have I even shot any...but my first question to you is....
Are these crimped in primers?
If they are that would explain the bent decapping pins/rod.

Look at them carefully.

I know that these are boxer primed...at least according to information found at Midway USA.

MarshallDodge
01-29-09, 18:20
I have not ever tried to load any Privi, nor have I even shot any...but my first question to you is....
Are these crimped in primers?
If they are that would explain the bent decapping pins/rod.

I doubt that would be the issue. I deprime crimped military primers quite a bit with Dillon and RCBS dies and have no problems. They don't feel any different than non-crimped primers.

rat31465
01-29-09, 18:39
I doubt that would be the issue. I deprime crimped military primers quite a bit with Dillon and RCBS dies and have no problems. They don't feel any different than non-crimped primers.

I to have decapped Military casings without swaging the crimps out first.....mostly without problems.
Like you I have been using higher quality reloading equipment. (Mostly Redding)...which is what I am giving this credit to.

However, the few times I have ever broken decapping pins were when depriming crimped in primers on Military casings.

According to the Privi Partizan website posted below they produce a Mil-Spec M-193 which would indicate the use of a crimped primer pocket.

An easy thing for a person new to reloading Military brass to miss.

Knowing this I wouldn't be to quick to rule out this as a possibility for the problem listed.

http://www.prvipartizan.com/

jmart
01-29-09, 20:58
Just curious, why did you try to remove the primers?

ETA: Nevermind. When I first read this, it sounded like you were disassembling live rounds and trying to remove live primers.

markm
01-30-09, 07:54
I too have decapped Military casings without swaging the crimps out first.....mostly without problems.

How in the hell would you swage the crimp before you removed the primer? :confused:

I've decapped probably 20 thousand Military cases, and I've never broken any component.

rat31465
01-30-09, 11:39
How in the hell would you swage the crimp before you removed the primer? :confused:
I've decapped probably 20 thousand Military cases, and I've never broken any component.

Ooops...I stand corrected Markm....Bad choice of words on my part.

I bought 3000 once fired Military casings several years ago for a Prarie dog hunt and ended up breaking two decapping pins using a RCBS Universal Decapping Die. This on the first 200 cases.
I ended up using a Pin Punch and a Plastic base block to punch out the primers before swaging the primer pockets.

You have me beat by about 17,000 or so if you have 20,000 under your belt.

jasonb
01-31-09, 14:36
I just processed 300 mixed LC and PPU cases last night and there is definately a difference in the crimp or the brass alloy between the 2. I mangled 2 decapping pins with the prvi also. On 2 cases, the pin peirced the primer.

After the primer is out, it is nice brass. About 5gr heavier then the LC I was loading.