PDA

View Full Version : SHOOTER13's M4 Carbine

SHOOTER13
01-29-09, 15:42
just joined this forum so I thought I'd post a pic of my M4 carbine, which I bought during the Clinton AWB in July 2001...right before 9/11.

an Olympic Arms CAR-97 with a 5.56 buttoned 1x9 twist barrel.

Failure2Stop
01-29-09, 15:51
I can't wait to see where this goes.

LOKNLOD
01-29-09, 15:52
Good luck, man.

And welcome to the forum! There's lots to learn here, if you're willing to listen.

AMMOTECH
01-29-09, 15:54
Be nice....:rolleyes:

Welcome Shooter....
I hope your ready to take a few hits on your equipment choice. OA is not a big hit around here. Even us Bushy owners get beat up.
Good luck.

Jay Cunningham
01-29-09, 16:02
Welcome SHOOTER13.

If you are willing to accept constructive criticism then you will learn a lot about your choice in rifle and accessories.

Good luck!

SHOOTER13
01-29-09, 16:11
WOW...That didn't take long !!

OK, let's get it over with...what's the hype on Oly Arms ?

AMMOTECH
01-29-09, 16:17
3 questions...

1) Did you buy this for use as a SHTF fighting rifle or a plinker?
2) How many rounds thru it?
3) Any issues? FTF/FTE/ ect...

Iraqgunz
01-29-09, 16:48
We generally don't concern ourselves with stuff that happens on other forums. I would lurk a little and learn why AR's from Oly, DPMS, Bushmaster and a few others aren't very well loved except for the guys who like safe queens.

My philosphy and that of some others here is that a weapon is for self-defense, SHTF, or insert your scenario of choice here FIRST AND FOREMOST. Plinking and everything else is secondary.

It all comes down to standards or lack thereof and how valuable your life is.

WOW...That didn't take long !!

OK, let's get it over with...what's the hype on Oly Arms ?

Could it be due to the OA2 forum...and Rattler ?!

Or, just...if it ain't a Colt, it ain't an M4 !!

...waiting

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj239/Gunnutz13/avatars/SMILEYS/devilgrin.gif

SHOOTER13
01-29-09, 16:52
AMMOTECH

1) Did you buy this for use as a SHTF fighting rifle or a plinker? BOTH...

2) How many rounds thru it? 20,000+ thru the M4...
...as I keep a journal on each and every rifle and handgun I own...36 weapons at last count

3) Any issues? FTF/FTE/ ect... Never

LOKNLOD
01-29-09, 17:17
If your Oly's run well for you, congrats. You'll find they aren't thought of very higly around here because of a long track record of failures, cutting corners, and poor quality (and quality control). Most folks here prefer to invest in higher-quality manufacturers that have less likelyhood of putting out a lemon (which any manufacturer can do) and who pay better attention to the details in building weapons. As Iraqgunz pointed out, many here rely on their weapons daily to run in life or death situations, and most all here are of the mindset that a weapon that could be used in those situations is worth holding to a higher standard.

No one has the slightest beef with your guns, their manufacturer, or how well they do or don't run -- as long as you don't get butt-hurt because everyone doesn't immediately gush with jealousy (or respect even) there's a lot of good info here and I'm sure you can learn a lot and share some, too.

That said....

Now watch the SHTF...heh heh http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj239/Gunnutz13/avatars/SMILEYS/devilgrin.gif

Honestly dude... if you're just stirring the pot it'll get everyone nowhere fast. If you just want to get a rise out of everyone, it'll just get you canned and they'll all forget about you quickly.

Simply put, if you **** up here, they'll ban your ass faster than gay marriage in a Mormon village.

Like I said, good luck.

ToddG
01-29-09, 17:21
they'll ban your ass faster than gay marriage in a Morman village.

Dude. That is so wrong.

It's spelled "Mormon."

:cool:

RTA
01-29-09, 17:25
AMMOTECH

1) Did you buy this for use as a SHTF fighting rifle or a plinker? BOTH...hell, I gotta M1 Garand, Thompson SMG, AK47...if da SHTF

2) How many rounds thru it? 20,000+ thru the M4...only 8,000 thru the A2
...as I keep a journal on each and every rifle and handgun I own...36 weapons at last count

3) Any issues? FTF/FTE/ ect... Never a Failure to Feed, Failure to Fire, Failure to Eject

...and I've used every type of ammo under the sun, to include Wolf.

Now watch the SHTF...heh heh http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj239/Gunnutz13/avatars/SMILEYS/devilgrin.gif

What parts have you had to replace during the course of the "20,000+?"

bkb0000
01-29-09, 17:36
one of my favoritest reads

https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=69663&postcount=139

Jay Cunningham
01-29-09, 17:39
I expect everyone to abide by the following:

Please do not post any comments that are intentional personal attacks against other members. (Including, but not limited to, name calling, comments of a racial, religious or sexual nature.) Debate is welcome and encouraged. Personal attacks, and name calling, serve no purpose in the exchange and debate of good information. Please be respectful to your fellow shooting enthusiasts whether they are new shooters or seasoned veterans.

I expect everyone on this forum to conduct themselves professionally. That being said, please continue the discussion.

bkb0000
01-29-09, 17:40
olyarms impresses the shit out of me in their ability not only subbornly adhere to inferior manufacturing processes, but then, when questioned about it, turn all of those inferiorities around and make them out to be good things

QuickStrike
01-29-09, 17:49
I would lurk a little and learn why AR's from Oly, DPMS,

Hey, search is working again! :cool:

ToddG
01-29-09, 18:38
olyarms impresses the shit out of me in their ability not only subbornly adhere to inferior manufacturing processes, but then, when questioned about it, turn all of those inferiorities around and make them out to be good things

http://9x19mm.com/photoalbum/albums/userpics/threadend.jpg

trunkmonkey
01-29-09, 19:17
Hey no worries. These boys here would probably really get pissed when your
able to shoot that Oly better than their colts and LMT's.

RogerinTPA
01-29-09, 19:28
Welcome shooter13. There's a lot of good info on various AR's, including yours. Suggest starting with the knowledge based threads. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7355 Personally, if your M4gery works well for you at your round count, and you're happy with it, then good on you. You may wanna consider replacing some parts to keep your shooter running. YMMV.

C4IGrant
01-29-09, 19:34
Where is MarkM at??? He loves these oly threads!

20,000rds without a single malfuntion? Out of an Oly? Really?

C4

M4tographer
01-29-09, 19:36
Out of an Oly? Really?

C4

OLY RLY?

:D

SeriousStudent
01-29-09, 20:09
Welcome shooter13. There's a lot of good info on various AR's, including yours. Suggest starting with the knowledge based threads. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7355 Personally, if your M4gery works well for you at your round count, and you're happy with it, then good on you. You may wanna consider replacing some parts to keep your shooter running. YMMV.

Indeed, rharris2163 speaks the truth. Many should listen to this wise old soldier's advice.

There is much to be gained from reading all the sticky threads on this site. I did so, and still lurked for a year before posting.

Shooter13, good luck to you, and welcome.

Littlelebowski
01-29-09, 20:11

Are you thinking of replacing your 416 and 10.5 SBR?

Gentoo
01-29-09, 22:15
OLY RLY?

you owe me a keyboard :D

thespyhunter
01-29-09, 22:27
Simply put, if you **** up here, they'll ban your ass faster than gay marriage in a Mormon village.

Like I said, good luck.

ROFLMFAO

M4tographer
01-29-09, 23:01
you owe me a keyboard :D

:D:D:D

chadbag
01-30-09, 00:10
they'll ban your ass faster than gay marriage in a Morman village.

Dude. That is so wrong.

It's spelled "Mormon."

HOWEVER, gay marriage in a "Morman" (say it out loud) village is probably GTG

Chad
(living in Utah)

Gramps
01-30-09, 00:56

Chad
(living in Utah)

So what kind of marriage would be acceptable in a "LESMAN" village?

ToddG
01-30-09, 00:58

Reminds me of where gotm4 works ... Manassas (http://maps.google.com/maps?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=manassas&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&split=0&gl=us&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&resnum=1&ct=title).

Iraqgunz
01-30-09, 02:55
No not really and I will be raising the BULLSHIT flag on this. I have never seen a Colt, Bushmaster, or any other AR for that matter go 20K without a single malfunction. I guess if you fired 7.8 rounds a day for 7 years=20K rounds and you always cleaned it, it would be theoretically possible. Hard use- not happening.

BTW- If anyone is interested I have some beach front property in Iraq with a villa for sale- real cheap.

I particularly like the shiny bayonet.

Rider79
01-30-09, 07:24
And SHOOTER13 disappears, never to be heard from again...

M4tographer
01-30-09, 09:33
And Gecko45 disappears, never to be heard from again...

That's too bad. I wanted to hear more. :(

Rider79
01-30-09, 09:36
Maybe he was an Oly employee, working undercover. :D

MarshallDodge
01-30-09, 09:44
Welcome aboard Shooter13.

I have to admit that 20K perfect rounds does seem over the top especially with Wolf ammo in the mix.

billybronco
01-30-09, 10:24
20 K ????????

Yeah, and I'm the Pope.

eb2007
01-30-09, 10:40
That's too bad. I wanted to hear more. :(

Just listen to Aaron I think he is gecko LOL :D

Jay Cunningham
01-30-09, 10:47
This one hit bottom fast.

Jay Cunningham
02-02-09, 15:33
I was on the forum for one day...made two posts...and when I come back after attending a funeral in NY State, I find a locked thread and a bunch of nonsense callling me a liar because I have 20,000 rounds through a rifle bought in 2001...which is 7 1/2 years worth of shooting into 20,000 rounds...less than 3,000 rounds per year. And then you don't allow me a chance at rebuttal...after all them clowns jerking me 'round...what gives mod ?! You've made me look the fool...is that the kind of forum you're runnin'?! Post this message...I deserve to face these self-righteous forum fanatics...I'll be looking for your reply.

SHOOTER13 decided to let me know that I was a bad mod and wants to rebutt all of those who questioned his 20,000 plus Oly. So I have decided to re-open the thread.

Have at it.

ZDL
02-02-09, 15:45
SHOOTER13 decided to let me know that I was a bad mod and wants to rebutt all of those who questioned his 20,000 plus Oly. So I have decided to re-open the thread.

Have at it.

Sweet. Over/under is 7 more responses.

SHOOTER13
02-02-09, 15:50
That right Katar...

Now, who's really in charge here ? I want to talk to the Admin...you're the one makin' trouble, NOT me. I make one post and you sit there and allow all the BS...and then give me a warning about baiting...and bickering?!

Iraqgunz
02-02-09, 15:58
Shooter,

A few things first. Since 2002 I have spent 49 months overseas approximately half of which has been in Iraq. So you will have to forgive me if I haven't had alot of time to shoot my carbines. I had a combined total of 10 years of military service when I got out. I have armorer certifications from Beretta, Barrett, Colt, Dillon Aero, FN, Glock, Knights Armament, Remington and Sig Sauer. I have been using firearms professionally for 22 years and the U.S State Dept. I ahve worked on everything from pistols up to the Mk 19 MOD 3 machine gun.

So now that we have that out of the way. You may have well have an Oly Arms weapon that has 20K rounds with no malfunctions through it. But, it defies all common logic and experience. I have fired numerous makes and models of the M16 FOW and I can't say that any of them never had a malfunction. The only exception being my personal weapons and they haven't had anywhere near enough rounds put through them for me to say that they are "flawless".

So there is no way in hell that I am going to believe that your Oly Arms has never had a worn buffer spring (are you checking it?), never replaced a spring, extractor spring or insert, or anything else. It defies all common logic and sense. I can't even imagine that your weapon would still be within specs after that many rounds. So, yes I am hoisting the BULLSHIT flag on your claim. Sorry to disappoint you.

ZDL
02-02-09, 15:59
That right Katar...

Now, who's really in charge here ? I want to talk to the Admin...you're the one makin' trouble, NOT me. I make one post and you sit there and allow all the BS...and then give me a warning about baiting...and bickering?!

I said I was new...stated what rifle I owned...and got pounced on. Tell me, which rifle "should" I own ?

Then I get my very first post locked...after being away attending an Army veterans funeral.

I think you all owe ME the apology....buncha wanna be's

Yea, like that's gonna happen.

You're pathetic for using the death of an army veteran in an attempt to induce sympathy from us. Great way to pay your respects douche bag. Just ban him already Katar. This isn't going to go well.

Iraqgunz
02-02-09, 16:05
Then maybe you should have thought about that before sending out PM's where you call people assholes because we called BULLSHIT on your claims. We don't owe you anything and attempting to use the funeral of a friend in this topic is just poor taste. You are free to leave M4C anytime you like if you don't get the answers you want to hear.

I highly doubt that I am a wannabee though I could care less what you say because you don't sign my paychecks.

You could always join the Oly Arms Fan Club and tell them about your carbine.

That right Katar...

I said I was new...stated what rifle I owned...and got pounced on. Tell me, which rifle "should" I own ?

Then I get my very first post locked...after being away attending an Army veterans funeral.

rat31465
02-02-09, 16:06
I have never gotten involved in any of the Chest Thumping threads that sometimes get started, but in the time I have been on this Forum I will state emphatically that the Mods here go above and beyond to keep things fair and on an even keel. As far as the need for apologies goes...you should begin with a large one to the_katar and the other people who keep this place running.

C4IGrant
02-02-09, 16:14

Have at it.

You are a horrible mod, now go to you room.

I can actually buy the 20K in 7.5yrs thing as it is ONLY 283rds (give or take) per month. This is a VERY low number of rounds in a month (most likely slow fire off a bench).

If he had fired 20K in 3yrs out of his Oly (like I do out of my AR's), then I would have been impressed, but the BS flag would have flown high and proud on him saying that there wasn't any malfunctions in that 3yrs.

C4

C4IGrant
02-02-09, 16:16
That right Katar...

You should be careful about calling anyone on this forum a "wannabe" as most on here have either served in the Military or are active duty with most of them having served in a HSLD type group.

C4

Littlelebowski
02-02-09, 16:16
I am a wanna be and am very sorry.

SHIVAN
02-02-09, 16:19
I wannabe a professional baseball player. Does that count? :p

R1pper
02-02-09, 16:31
I wanna be able to wheel two chicks at the same time! :cool:

HIJACK:
Iraqgunz,
I saw this on a locker at the S&W Shooting Sports Center yesterday!

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc179/Wkunasek/dpms.jpg

-DM-

Iraqgunz
02-02-09, 16:34
:D :D :D :D :D

I wanna be able to wheel to chicks at the same time! :cool:

HIJACK:
Iraqgunz,
I saw this on a locker at the S&W Shooting Sports Center yesterday!

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc179/Wkunasek/dpms.jpg

-DM-

BAC
02-02-09, 16:34
That right Katar...

1) Aside from your first post, you gave two follow-ups, #6 and #9, both of which indicate that you know you could be stirring the pot.

2) You have made an outstanding claim that defies all current experience with the AR-15 platform with a firearm made by a company well-known for using substandard materials and poor manufacturing procedures.

3) Nobody owes you an apology. You don't come into someone else's house, make tall claims and try to stir up the residents, and cry foul when someone disagrees with you and the person who owns the house shuts down that conversation. This is not AR15.com, and BS does not fly far here.

There are several professional armorers and/or shooters, past and present, who would like to know more about your rifle. Heck, this non-professional new shooter has a ton of questions for you, if you're willing to answer them. Are you?

-B

Iraqgunz
02-02-09, 17:31
You should see if you can get a Bad Kitty Katar t-shirt. Bad Katar, bad. :D

Have at it.

ZDL
02-02-09, 17:34
CALM DOWN! I'M FROM THE INTERNET!!

SecretAgentMan
02-02-09, 17:40
It seems to me that whenever someone on a gun board becomes personally offended at the suggestion that an Olympic or DPMS rifle is subpar, they almost always respond that they've fired somewhere between 20,000 and 50,000 rounds with no malfunctions. Most of these people also claim that they've never had to replace a single worn or broken part.

I'm not saying it's impossible to put 20,000 "flawless" rounds through an AR-15 without replacing any parts. I'm just saying that if that's the case, you should probably buy a lottery ticket, because the law of averages apparently doesn't apply to you.

John_Wayne777
02-02-09, 17:41
That right Katar...

Good Lord, son....you need to switch to decaf.

C4IGrant
02-02-09, 17:43
It seems to me that whenever someone on a gun board becomes personally offended at the suggestion that an Olympic or DPMS rifle is subpar, they almost always respond that they've fired somewhere between 20,000 and 50,000 rounds with no malfunctions. Most of these people also claim that they've never had to replace a single worn or broken part.

I'm not saying it's impossible to put 20,000 "flawless" rounds through an AR-15 without replacing any parts. I'm just saying that if that's the case, you should probably buy a lottery ticket, because the law of averages apparently doesn't apply to you.

I agree. I have broken more chit and have had more malfunctions in five thousand rounds than I can count!

C4

C4IGrant
02-02-09, 17:46
http://9x19mm.com/photoalbum/albums/userpics/threadend.jpg

C4

Hellfire
02-02-09, 17:57
I'd like to offer a little perspective for the OP. I have always been interested in firearms, and began shooting at a young age. My firearm experience was limited to rifles/shotguns-used for hunting, and one HD handgun. About 3yrs ago I became interested in AK's. I joined "theAKForum" and learned a tremendous amount about that platform through that site. I eventually became interested in AR's and posted a question to try and learn more about them, as I knew nothing about AR's, nothing. The head honcho at theAKForum gave me some great advice, he said to check out M4carbine.net and you will learn a lot. He also informed me that I need to mind my manners here, as this site has a more "professional" membership than some other sites. I have tried to keep all my posts/questions serious and respectful and I have learned a lot from those that have taken the time to help someone who knows very little about ARs, and from reading/searching the threads. A lot of the members here have forgotten more than some of us will ever know about ARs, some use/rely on these weapons daily. There is some serious experience/knowledge present on this board and when approached with respect I have found that my questions...even the stupid ones....are always answered. I try and remember a lot of the members here are professionals; if I had the chance to ask them a question face to face, I would do so with respect, so I try and do the same on the net. When I ask a question here I realize I am asking for something that I don't have. Knowledge. Another member has to choose to give their knowledge to me, and when they do I'm grateful. Treat others as you'd like to be treated.

Derek_Connor
02-02-09, 18:08
That right Katar...

Talk less and read more, and not neccessarily just in the "internet", life as well.

mark5pt56
02-02-09, 18:23
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/mark5pt56/russian-dogpile.jpg

SHIVAN
02-02-09, 18:28
http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/ashevat/WindowsLiveWriter/SCRUMsessionsatTechEd_D5CC/scrum%5B1%5D_2.jpg

Steve
02-02-09, 18:40
You could have saved yourself some lost time, by tossing yourself on your bayonet
it would have had a quicker effect.

Just kidding.

ZDL
02-02-09, 18:43
2 pictures, from mods no less, containing a pile of dirty sweaty men.... And Todd and Grant called ME the gay prostitute!

SHIVAN
02-02-09, 18:46
2 pictures, from mods no less, containing a pile of dirty sweaty men.... And Todd and Grant called ME the gay prostitute!

Err, that's Russian women's Rugby. :eek:

ZDL
02-02-09, 18:48
Err, that's Russian women's Rugby. :eek:

lol. I actually went back and checked.

Maybe pre-op women's rugby.......... :p

RogerinTPA
02-02-09, 19:00
I prefer this, women dripping with oil !;)

I prefer it too - just not in this thread.

~Thekatar

QuietShootr
02-02-09, 19:24
Last edited by The_Katar; Today at 08:03 PM. Reason: thong in a tech forum - eek!

Um. eek?

Jay Cunningham
02-02-09, 19:28
Um. eek?

Yes - we don't want pictures of oiled thong asses popping up all over, now do we? Precedent, and all that.

John_Wayne777
02-02-09, 19:31
Part of me enjoys a good roasting as much as the next guy, but part of me can't help but feel sorry for the poor kid.

Shooter13: The best thing you can do is offer an apology for trying to flame everybody (especially IP's) and then move on with your life. You'll get a bit of ribbing but it will mercifully be over quickly and without too much damage.

Continuing to throw out shots like "posers" at the people on this board places somewhere on the broad spectrum of bad ideas between running with scissors and sticking your pecker in the toaster.

gogetal3
02-02-09, 19:38
I'd like to offer a little perspective for the OP. I have always been interested in firearms, and began shooting at a young age. My firearm experience was limited to rifles/shotguns-used for hunting, and one HD handgun. About 3yrs ago I became interested in AK's. I joined "theAKForum" and learned a tremendous amount about that platform through that site. I eventually became interested in AR's and posted a question to try and learn more about them, as I knew nothing about AR's, nothing. The head honcho at theAKForum gave me some great advice, he said to check out M4carbine.net and you will learn a lot. He also informed me that I need to mind my manners here, as this site has a more "professional" membership than some other sites. I have tried to keep all my posts/questions serious and respectful and I have learned a lot from those that have taken the time to help someone who knows very little about ARs, and from reading/searching the threads. A lot of the members here have forgotten more than some of us will ever know about ARs, some use/rely on these weapons daily. There is some serious experience/knowledge present on this board and when approached with respect I have found that my questions...even the stupid ones....are always answered. I try and remember a lot of the members here are professionals; if I had the chance to ask them a question face to face, I would do so with respect, so I try and do the same on the net. When I ask a question here I realize I am asking for something that I don't have. Knowledge. Another member has to choose to give their knowledge to me, and when they do I'm grateful. Treat others as you'd like to be treated.

Very well put. Thank you to all of you for your expertise. While I'll never have a need professionally for firearms, I do enjoy them, and thanks to all of your advise, I have my zombie plans in place and ready at a moments notice. Seriously people need to learn to take some criticism. If it weren't for the people on this site I would struggle with the tech stuff. Sometimes calling it like it is, is the best reality check for someone!

RogerinTPA
02-02-09, 19:53
Yes - we don't want pictures of oiled thong asses popping up all over, now do we? Precedent, and all that.

:( We need a NSFW Forum...

QuietShootr
02-02-09, 19:54

I understand what you're saying...er...I guess. But dude. eek?

ToddG
02-02-09, 20:01
But dude. eek?

It takes a tough man to squeal like a 12yo girl, dude. Be nice to Katarzan.

Jay Cunningham
02-02-09, 20:03
I understand what you're saying...er...I guess. But dude. eek?

It was like... sarcasm. Check your sarcasm meter and see if it's still in cal.

QuietShootr
02-02-09, 20:08
It takes a tough man to squeal like a 12yo girl, dude. Be nice to Katarzan.

Hey, he can squeal if he wants to. :D

QuietShootr
02-02-09, 20:08
It was like... sarcasm. Check your sarcasm meter and see if it's still in cal.

Pot, Pot, this is Kettle, how copy?

TOrrock
02-02-09, 20:58
Shooter13, you got your wish, it's open.

You came in hear guns blazing, and I'm sorry if we didn't react the way you anticipated.

If you want to try to discuss the merits of your carbine civilly, you're welcome to.

If you came here to stir up a hornets nest, you're not welcome to.

Either way, let me know what you'd like to do.

Jay Cunningham
02-02-09, 21:14
Very good advice from Templar.

With that, this one will get locked down again - permanently this time.