PDA

View Full Version : Play between upper & lower receivers

jimmyhots
01-29-09, 19:17
Hi all, I just purchased a new Colt LE6920 (for a relatively decent price, was on a waiting list for two months...). There is a little play between the upper & lower receivers. Is this normal, should I be concerned?

Thanks,
Jimmy

SecretAgentMan
01-29-09, 19:36
It's normal, and usually doesn't affect accuracy in AR pattern rifles. If it really bothers you, a small rubber o-ring placed over the pivot pin can sometimes eliminate the wobble.

jimmyhots
01-29-09, 19:41
Don't want to be too anal about it, just doing an initial quality check of the gun and was expecting it to be tighter. If this isn't normal, I'll send it back, but if it is, then so be it. I'm new to ARs so any advice is appreciated.

bkb0000
01-29-09, 19:58
no, that's a big problem with colts. the real problem is, they wont take them back for that. but the ones that are sloppy can have huge reliability issues.

i happen to be a receiver resizer- i buy sloppy guns for good prices and resize the receivers. because i can resell the weapon for a good price, i'm able to offer good money for an otherwise worthless weapon. it's good that you posted here, bro. I'll give you $800 for it right now.

JBnTX
01-29-09, 21:06
...There is a little play between the upper & lower receivers. Is this normal, should I be concerned?....

Completely normal, nothing to be concerned about.

Now if you have a..., well don't worry you probably don't.

But if you do...., on second thought never mind.

sdcromer
01-29-09, 21:50
Go to the hardware store and buy a viton o-ring with 1/16 cross section and a 5/8 OD and a 1/2 ID. Place the o-ring around the pivot lug on the upper where the front pivot pin goes through. Install the upper on the the lower and the o-ring will take up the play between the upper and lower.

TOM1911
01-29-09, 21:50
Dude ... Don't worry about it, the Colt's all have some play in them, Just part of the mass production tolerances inherent in the design. If your'e worried about the play just get an Accuwedge from Kleen-Bore and it'll tighten up just fine. Mine had the same issues and it doesn't affect reliability.;)

bkb0000
01-29-09, 23:23
Dude ... Don't worry about it, the Colt's all have some play in them, Just part of the mass production tolerances inherent in the design. If your'e worried about the play just get an Accuwedge from Kleen-Bore and it'll tighten up just fine. Mine had the same issues and it doesn't affect reliability.;)

seems the accuwedges have a tendency to migrate into the action and eff your ess up. if you just absolutely have to scratch that itch, as Mr. Wilson would say, go for the o-ring

Iraqgunz
01-30-09, 03:03
You don't need an Accuwedge, O-ring or a rubber dong. It is perfectly fine. Do a basic quality check on the gun and then go shoot it. You can look at it all day long, but until you shoot it you will never know.

spamsammich
01-30-09, 03:08
If it needed an accuwedge or an o-ring to function correctly it would have shipped with one.

John_Wayne777
01-30-09, 06:59
no, that's a big problem with colts. the real problem is, they wont take them back for that. but the ones that are sloppy can have huge reliability issues.

i happen to be a receiver resizer- i buy sloppy guns for good prices and resize the receivers. because i can resell the weapon for a good price, i'm able to offer good money for an otherwise worthless weapon. it's good that you posted here, bro. I'll give you $800 for it right now.

Nice try....;)

Medicine Calf
01-30-09, 08:21
My BCM/LMT has a surprising amount of "slop" but its a shooter. I like to grab the pistol grip and shake it now and then to hear it rattle.

RE4
01-30-09, 08:31
If it needed an accuwedge or an o-ring to function correctly it would have shipped with one.

Kinda funny - that statement reminds of Mcnamara (defense secretary of the US during the Vietnam war), who, when questioned about malfunctioning M16's and their lack of chrome liner in the rifle. He responded with the same type of line.

Seriously though, my SW had (to me) a surprisingly large amount of slop in it and I put an accuwedge in it. Now the rifle feels like sheer bliss, but I cant field strip it without a punch... Win some - lose some..

Iraqgunz
01-30-09, 09:08
RE4,

Great, your gun had slop in it. Did you also check to see what the accuracy was before and after installing the Accucrud? Aside from the annoying little rattle and play did the Accucrud do anything to improve the operation of your weapon?

I had a BM carbine here that was having issues on full-auto. After I popped it open I saw that Mr. HDLS installed an Accucrud in there. When I removed it, the problem magically disappeared.

So I guess what I am saying is what did it really do for you aside from ease your mind?

Kinda funny - that statement reminds of Mcnamara (defense secretary of the US during the Vietnam war), who, when questioned about malfunctioning M16's and their lack of chrome liner in the rifle. He responded with the same type of line.

Seriously though, my SW had (to me) a surprisingly large amount of slop in it and I put an accuwedge in it. Now the rifle feels like sheer bliss, but I cant field strip it without a punch... Win some - lose some..

shooting4life
01-30-09, 19:00
I like the JP tension pins, as long as it is not a SHTF gun

Parabellum9x19mm
01-30-09, 20:10
I like the JP tension pins, as long as it is not a SHTF gun

even worse than the accuwedge / o-ring idea

Kaos
01-30-09, 20:19
Im an advocate of "run it plain".

I have VERY LITTLE slop/play in my upper/lower. JUst enough that field stripping is accomplished without tools...ideal situation if you ask me.

RogerinTPA
01-30-09, 20:27
I must be lucky. Both of mine, purchased a little over a year apart, are very tight fitting.

jimmyhots
02-03-09, 00:00
Well I took my new rifle out & shot it for the first time and it was great! The wiggle between upper & lower receivers didn't bother me a bit. It shot accurate and was already well dialed in from the factory. There's no doubt it's a keeper... now just need to find some good ammo at a decent price, if that's even possible...

JH

Iraqgunz
02-03-09, 02:00
It depends on what your definition of a good price is, for each person it will be different. You can get 800 rds. of 75gr. match ammo (Prvi Partizan) for 400.00 from Wideners or you can get 1000 rds. of M193 ball for 439.00.

Well I took my new rifle out & shot it for the first time and it was great! The wiggle between upper & lower receivers didn't bother me a bit. It shot accurate and was already well dialed in from the factory. There's no doubt it's a keeper... now just need to find some good ammo at a decent price, if that's even possible...

JH

Parabellum9x19mm
02-03-09, 02:23
PRVI XM193 for practice and Federal LC M193 for hoarding/defense/duty makes a lot of sense.

same with PRVI 75 and Hornady TAP 75

that's what i do at least.

PRVI is pretty good blasting ammo for the price. i don't think it would have good effect on target tho. good for paper, but i wouldn't really trust it beyond that.

RSS1911
02-03-09, 07:01
My BCM/LMT has a surprising amount of "slop" but its a shooter. I like to grab the pistol grip and shake it now and then to hear it rattle.

I recently got an LMT lower for my BCM middy to replace the old Bushmaster lower I was using, and there is more movement on the LMT. Shoots just fine though.

mmike87
02-03-09, 07:56
even worse than the accuwedge / o-ring idea

I tried the JP pin and it worked fine. Just made it impossible to get into the gun in any reasonable time and without tools. That made it a no-go for me afterward, never used it since then.

I eventually just learned to live with the movement and have really been happier ever since.

jimmyhots
02-03-09, 10:28
PRVI XM193 for practice and Federal LC M193 for hoarding/defense/duty makes a lot of sense.

same with PRVI 75 and Hornady TAP 75

that's what i do at least.

PRVI is pretty good blasting ammo for the price. i don't think it would have good effect on target tho. good for paper, but i wouldn't really trust it beyond that.

Is LC M193 available anywhere? I was under the impression that the M193 civilian supply is pretty dried up and XM193 is all that's available as far as 193 goes? Then again I'm new to this so could definitely be wrong...?

JH

Iraqgunz
02-03-09, 11:05
jimmy,

You may want to consider this for punching paper. Here is some M193 as well.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Prvi_Partizan_.223_5.56x45_M855_62grn_FMJ.html

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/ammo-for-rifles/223-rem-5-56mm-nato-/p/223-federal-55gr-fmj-boat-tail-xm193c-500rd-case-/cPath/12_38/products_id/3167

jimmyhots
02-03-09, 13:42
What do the letters at the end of XM193 ammo designate? For example XM193C, XM193A, etc.?

Guess this is turning into an ammo discussion he he...

JH

Parabellum9x19mm
02-03-09, 15:35
its all the same shit, the letter designator at the end just refers to how its packaged

bluzharp
09-23-09, 08:07

Apparently Colt feels the same way. This was on page 44 of the Colt manual that came with my NIB LE6920, which by the way has a ton of slop between the upper and lower receiver.

"WEDGE--Some models may have a flexible wedge in the rear of the lower receiver to ensure a tighter union with the upper receiver...."

Now first of all, my rifle didn't come with a "flexible wedge" even though the slop is considerable. But how are we supposed to interpret Colts statement about the "wedge"? It sounds to me like a band aid for poor QC! I'm really starting to wonder about this company.

I just can't believe that the amount of slop I have is not going to affect it's accuracy.

Fringe
09-23-09, 09:40
I will trade you a DD M4 12" rail minus the VFG with about 1000k through it and it is the the tightest gun I own. It feels like one piece of metal and there is zero play.

bkb0000
09-23-09, 10:27
Apparently Colt feels the same way. This was on page 44 of the Colt manual that came with my NIB LE6920, which by the way has a ton of slop between the upper and lower receiver.

"WEDGE--Some models may have a flexible wedge in the rear of the lower receiver to ensure a tighter union with the upper receiver...."

Now first of all, my rifle didn't come with a "flexible wedge" even though the slop is considerable. But how are we supposed to interpret Colts statement about the "wedge"? It sounds to me like a band aid for poor QC! I'm really starting to wonder about this company.

I just can't believe that the amount of slop I have is not going to affect it's accuracy.

do you understand the relationship between upper/lower/shooter? its not going to effect accuracy unless it's so sloppy that it's literally flopping around as you pull the trigger.

JimmyB62
09-23-09, 10:46
My guess is that they got so many complaints from people who thought it was an indicator of a quality issue that they addressed it with a wedge. It's probably easier than trying to explain to people that play between upper/lower isn't a problem. Look how many times it's explained here and still people are wringing their hands about it.:confused:

spamsammich
09-23-09, 11:19
do you understand the relationship between upper/lower/shooter? its not going to effect accuracy unless it's so sloppy that it's literally flopping around as you pull the trigger.

If the upper is jumping around while he's pulling the trigger, he doesn't have the gun supported properly. Makes you wonder if people actually shoot these guns instead of shaking the shit out of them or dry firing in FOB living room.

bluzharp
09-23-09, 12:36
Ummm, yeah. Ya got me, there. That's exactly what I do with it. Sheeeesh! Sorry I said anything at all about it. :rolleyes:

Fringe
09-23-09, 13:01
The offer is still good if you want a tight gun!!

jimmyhots
10-06-09, 23:58
I started this thread a while ago and don't remember if I responded or not but let me say after shooting the rifle for a while now the small amount of play doesn't bother me a bit and I'm very happy with the accuracy of the weapon. As far as I'm concerned the slop is a non-issue and I see no practical need for a wedge.

JH