PDA

View Full Version : M&P 9c question/proble about sights

BVickery
01-30-09, 18:52
Here is an interesting question. At what point can I say the gun is shooting to the left and it is not the shooter?

I placed about 75 rnds aiming center mass and 95%+ were all shooting to the left. Was not able to do the wall drill, but even when taking the time to fire each shot, mentally squeeze the trigger etc I still shot to the left.

ToddG
01-30-09, 19:05
You can make that decision whenever you want. :cool:

Do the front and rear sights appear aligned properly? That's not a 100% indicator, but if the front sight is far to the right or the rear sight is far to the left, it raises the odds the gun is at fault.

By the time you get your answers to this thread, you should have had time to run the Wall Drill. You should also do a little Ball & Dummy to see if you're jerking or anticipating.

Another option is to have other folks shoot the gun, but in my experience even "good" shooters are as likely to have bad habits as the folks on this forum so you could get matching (false) data or worse, get someone else who thinks the gun shoots low, right, backwards, into a fifth dimension, etc. :cool:

BVickery
01-30-09, 19:28
Todd,

Thanks for the feedback. I will have to do the ball and dummy drill to see if it is me. Whenever I do the wall drill at home I don't flinch or anything.

John_Wayne777
01-30-09, 22:17
The psychology of knowing that the weapon won't go boom when you pull the trigger has a big impact....

In addition to what Todd said, I'd suggest trying to use a decent bench rest. Focus every ounce of your concentration on putting the front sight where it needs to be and squeezing that trigger. Try shooting at 10 yards or 7 yards that way at first. Use a bullseye target, shoot 3-5 rounds per group, and tape up after every group. When it comes to zeroing a weapon/adjusting sights it's all about eliminating as much human error as humanly possible.

If you consistently shoot decent groups that are in the same place then it's time to look at moving the rear sight.

I would also encourage trying it at different shooting ranges....different lighting situations can actually make your sights look different, believe it or not. On a bright day on a range in South Hill Virginia, for instance, a perfect sight picture for me produces a different point of impact than on the indoor range I have at home. The shift is slight, but noticeable.

BVickery
01-31-09, 00:36
Right now at an indoor range. Also, when I was practicing was shooting at 7 yards for the most part, I did about 20 rnds at 15 yds.

Will pick up some dummy ones and have the wife load my magazines for practice.

Again, thanks all for the help in trying to make sure its either shooter or gun.