PDA

View Full Version : Hello all, Proud new owner of a STAG!

codman
01-31-09, 07:39
Hello my name is Dan,

I live in CT and have been in shooting sports since i was 15 due to my uncle shooting pistol matches and him teaching me the basic fundamentals. Ive always been wanting an AR15 and was waiting for some lowers to come into Center Sports in Columbia ,CT . Instead he had got some Completes in and i picked this Model 3 up as it is my first AR and .223. Im new to this rifle and cannot wait to shoot it. Im big into Mil Surplus and at 21 have a good collection so far, m1 garand, m48, browning 1919a6 in semi, and soon a 1911. Also have a 10/22 i added some goodies to. I wanted to finally get a new rifle and with Nobama soon to ban these i bought it. He just got them 1/2 hour before i got there. Im loving this rifle and really wanna take her shooting and brag to my uncle as he has wanting one for the longest time haha. Figured i say hello and now im into another world of shooting.

Im looking at getting a flip up front and rear sight for the rails, and probably a Red dot sight of sort!

Dan

C4IGrant
01-31-09, 08:50
Hello my name is Dan,

I live in CT and have been in shooting sports since i was 15 due to my uncle shooting pistol matches and him teaching me the basic fundamentals. Ive always been wanting an AR15 and was waiting for some lowers to come into Center Sports in Columbia ,CT . Instead he had got some Completes in and i picked this Model 3 up as it is my first AR and .223. Im new to this rifle and cannot wait to shoot it. Im big into Mil Surplus and at 21 have a good collection so far, m1 garand, m48, browning 1919a6 in semi, and soon a 1911. Also have a 10/22 i added some goodies to. I wanted to finally get a new rifle and with Nobama soon to ban these i bought it. He just got them 1/2 hour before i got there. Im loving this rifle and really wanna take her shooting and brag to my uncle as he has wanting one for the longest time haha. Figured i say hello and now im into another world of shooting.

Im looking at getting a flip up front and rear sight for the rails, and probably a Red dot sight of sort!

Dan

Congrats! Get the gas key staked on your Stag and you should be good to go.

Welcome to the forum!

C4

dodge
01-31-09, 09:05
I have the same model that you do. I did change out the buffer for a "H" and upgraded the extractor so it would get a better bite on the cases. I have also added a light, Yankee Hills flip up rear and front sights and a red dot scope to it. I'm gearing it more for HD but I do a lot plinking with it. I'm very satisified with it. With one of my handloads I was able to get 14 rounds touching each other at 50 yards.

10MMGary
01-31-09, 09:15
Welcome to the site Dan and congrats on your new AR. I am a major fan of Stag Arms products myself. Being so close have you ever visited the Stag factory, I was told that they offered tours. If you don't mind(if you would rather not say I understand)I have to ask what you paid for your model 3, I have the same gun in the left handed configuration but I purchased it long before the buying frenzy started. In any case nice gun welcome to a good site and shoot safely.
Gary

S&Wfan
01-31-09, 10:38
Hi,

Welcome to the forum! I think you'll have a great time with your new Stag.

I will only offer one suggestion. Before you shoot the Wolf ammo, I'd recommend running a couple of hundred rounds of brass-cased rounds through the chamber first to break things in before shooting steel-cased stuff. I'm assuming the Wolf may have steel cases.

After that, it should smoothly digest all the steel cased ammo you'll feed it! Either way, it should do just fine . . . but I'm running at least 400 rounds of brass cartridges through my new first just to smooth things out right. Wally World, and other gun shops offer some reasonably priced brass case ammo that won't break the bank.

Enjoy your new AR15. As a matter of fact . . . I plan to take my new S&W M&P15 out for another round of breaking it in today . . . one of the nice benefits of living in Georgia at this time of the year! Then again . . . we have gnats in the summer. Oh well . . . ;)

T.

C4IGrant
01-31-09, 10:43
Stag owners, make sure to read this thread: http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6993

C4

codman
01-31-09, 10:46
I havent gone to the factory yet im planning on it and its maybe an hour away from me. Whats the best break in method for this rifle? and what kind of lube is everyone using i have clp breakfree.

C4IGrant
01-31-09, 10:48
I havent gone to the factory yet im planning on it and its maybe an hour away from me. Whats the best break in method for this rifle? and what kind of lube is everyone using i have clp breakfree. Oh and for price it was 899.00

It is chrome lined so just shoot it and clean it.

For lubes, I would use Slip2K, Machine Gunners lube and weaponshield.

I would pass on the CLP.

C4

R1pper
01-31-09, 14:13
Dan,
I can see you finally got one, I thought you were gonna build one? I will stake the carrier key and castle nut for you. I have an extra bottle of Militec you can have (to me its better than CLP). Now that you have joined the AR club, I will take you to Jojo's in Southington. I will be going soon as I need a Larue Tactical mount and other assorted stuff for my new rifle (Just orderd a S&W Magpul MOE). If you can wait, the Magpul flips will be out shortly and I suggest an Aimpoint for a red dot. I have an AP, just let me know if you want to check it out.

I would suggest reading all the stickies.

If you have not out figured out who this is PM me.

-DM-

codman
01-31-09, 18:29
D.M. sounds good to me i plan on hopefully getting my pistol permit this week got the pistol pretty much payed off only 200 left. I want to check out Hoffmann Gun soon i guess they got quite bit accesories. I really excited bout taking her out to shoot soon just need some sights. How much was that flip up sight you were talking bout?

Avenger29
01-31-09, 18:43
D.M. sounds good to me i plan on hopefully getting my pistol permit this week got the pistol pretty much payed off only 200 left. I want to check out Hoffmann Gun soon i guess they got quite bit accesories. I really excited bout taking her out to shoot soon just need some sights. How much was that flip up sight you were talking bout?

You should be able to pick up a set of Magpul sights when they come out for about the price of a quality rear sight.

And get an Aimpoint for a red dot. No, they aren't bargain basement prices, but they aren't extremely expensive, either. Considering that the reliability is excellent and the battery life is insane (it's measured in years), the price you pay is a bargain.

R1pper
01-31-09, 20:37

The Magpul set is $100, but you wont be able to use the front because you woild have to install it on the gas block and heat will melt it (made of polymer). I have an extra A2 FSB if you want it, youll just have to get the bayo lug cut off. Stay away from Hoffmans, they are way over priced and a bunch of assholes. Jojo's is where its at, I bought six AR mags with Magpul Gen III followers and Ranger pulls for $105 out the door.

-DM-

ghawk249
01-31-09, 23:27
Hey Dan

i just got my Stag model 2 Tuesday. Going to the range for the first time Sunday afternoon and cannot wait. I will post some pictures very soon. I have always liked the Stags .

IROCZ
02-01-09, 02:07
Hey Dick Manley, Why would he need to remove the bayo lug? Just wondering:confused:

spamsammich
02-01-09, 02:28
Hey Dick Manley, Why would he need to remove the bayo lug? Just wondering:confused:

Look at his location.

codman
02-01-09, 07:26
Yes im in CT which still has the AWB, the bayonet lug is not on the rifle they are made in post ban configuration so thats already taken care of. We can only have this model in post ban style. Also the stock isnt the normal 6 position stock either it has a hex socket screw holding it to be fixed. I unscrewed it thinking it just pinned it in that one spot but the tube the stock it on is tapped for the screw.

codman
02-01-09, 19:23
shot her this afternoon and man what a blast , no sights but awesome fun. I love the light recoil and how fast it can fire them off. DM believe it or not i actually got Shelby to shoot it she put 5 rounds through it today her first time shooting at all. She was actually liking it haha.

Mac5.56
02-01-09, 21:31
The Magpul set is $100, but you wont be able to use the front because you woild have to install it on the gas block and heat will melt it (made of polymer). I have an extra A2 FSB if you want it, youll just have to get the bayo lug cut off. Stay away from Hoffmans, they are way over priced and a bunch of assholes. Jojo's is where its at, I bought six AR mags with Magpul Gen III followers and Ranger pulls for $105 out the door.

-DM-

Wait? What? Really?

I hadn't heard that. Can anyone else confirm this. I have an S&W15OR (gas block has rail like the above STAG). Right now I am shooting it with a low powered scope, but I am looking to get a BUIS and Red Dot configuration. I was planning on going with the Magpul set so that I can afford an AimPoint. I hadn't heard anything about melting on such a rifle.

Can you confirm this with a link possibly?

R1pper
02-02-09, 07:50
Wait? What? Really?

I hadn't heard that. Can anyone else confirm this. I have an S&W15OR (gas block has rail like the above STAG). Right now I am shooting it with a low powered scope, but I am looking to get a BUIS and Red Dot configuration. I was planning on going with the Magpul set so that I can afford an AimPoint. I hadn't heard anything about melting on such a rifle.

Can you confirm this with a link possibly?

Think about it, the gas block is where you will be mounting it, gas blocks tend to become hot as a Honda Accord in Newark. Go out to the range rip a few mags and then touch your gas block an let me know how that works out for you. Plastic/Polymer tends to melt when combined with high tempatures (Think plastic green army men from when you were a kid).

Look for a front flip in the Member Sales Forum. If Codman doesnt want the A2 FSB its yours, if he does take it you can get one for relatively cheap ($25).

-DM-

Mac5.56
02-02-09, 19:56
Think about it, the gas block is where you will be mounting it, gas blocks tend to become hot as a Honda Accord in Newark. Go out to the range rip a few mags and then touch your gas block an let me know how that works out for you. Plastic/Polymer tends to melt when combined with high tempatures (Think plastic green army men from when you were a kid).

Look for a front flip in the Member Sales Forum. If Codman doesnt want the A2 FSB its yours, if he does take it you can get one for relatively cheap ($25).

-DM-

DM

I just figured that this was so obvious that it would have been addressed with some sort of high temperature polymer capable of handling the heat, but maybe that is a wishful thinking. I will keep an eye out for the flip-up site. I still can't post on the Member Sale Forum because I am really new to the page, and don't have the required 30 posts. I will PM you.

R1pper
02-02-09, 20:16
DM

I still can't post on the Member Sale Forum because I am really new to the page, and don't have the required 30 posts. I will PM you.

You can buy stuff you just cant post an ad.

-DM-

Mac5.56
02-02-09, 21:58
Do you have a link to your sale?

codman
02-03-09, 05:16
Will,

Ill take the Sight your Pm box is full, probably next time you come over you can bring it over or when we go to JOJo's. I know im going ice fishing saturday with the Boss im sure the girls will plan something . Im hoping to get my Pistol soon and bring it to a indoor range to get some practice in. Did you end up buying your reloader stuff from cabelas? Which press you end up buying ? I could totally start reloading in my apartment lol!

Jay Cunningham
02-03-09, 05:32
AR General Discussion is NOT the place to conduct business transactions.

R1pper
02-03-09, 08:12
AR General Discussion is NOT the place to conduct business transactions.

I wast trying to sell anything. If you look I stated that they could have it, as in free. And then Codman asked me where I bought my reloading stuff. But whatever

-DM-

Jay Cunningham
02-03-09, 08:26
I wast trying to sell anything. If you look I stated that they could have it, as in free. And then Codman asked me where I bought my reloading stuff. But whatever

-DM-

Take it to PM - instead of arguing with me.