PDA

View Full Version : What's this AR15 worth?

Bret
01-31-09, 12:20
I have an Eagle Arms AR15 that a friend of a friend is interested in buying, depending on the price. I put it together myself. The lower half was factory built by Armalite and includes thier tactical trigger. The lower receiver is marked Eagle Arms by Armalite. I installed the Armalite chrome lined M4 style barrel on the Armalite upper receiver. Unfortunately, I chipped two teeth when tightening the barrel on. I did manage to get it done though. Still, it's a definite minus to the price and I recognize that. I could remove the barrel and have it fixed, but since most people never remove the barrel, that wouldn't really accomplish anything. I'd rather just discount it a little. I fired five rounds through it to make sure it ran and it does. The only other thing about the rifle that I don't like is the upper receiver has a slightly more purplish color to it when compared to the lower receiver. Most people probably wouldn't care, but I'm pretty anal retentive. It looks just like this:
http://www.armalite.com/images/large%20images/Rifles/lec15a4cbkLARGE.jpg
What's this rifle worth in today's market? Thanks in advance.

Bret
02-01-09, 15:50
Anyone?:confused:

scottryan
02-01-09, 16:03
Sum of its parts

$125 for the barrel (due to the barrel nut issue)

$300 for the built lower

$175 for the upper receiver

$150 for the BCG

$40 for the CH and D ring

MisterWilson
02-01-09, 17:16
The barrel nut issue is overblown. That's a $15 dollar fix, tops. In any case, it's probably a non issue. If, by chance, he installs a rail that actually requires the barrel nut (as opposed to replacing it with a proprietary one), is it bad enough you can you can't index a Troy/MI/Samson rail on it?

In today's market, I can't see *any* AR going for less than $700-800, regardless of the make.

If he's a buddy, throw it to him for around what you paid for it. If he's an acquaintance, then start at $900-1,000 & work down. If he grinds you on the price, remind him what "replacement cost" is nowadays.

seb5
02-01-09, 18:10
Around hee it would go on a table for $1000.00 and sale for maybe a hundred less.

Bret
02-01-09, 19:35
Thanks for the replies! I appreciate the insight.

The barrel nut issue is overblown. That's a $15 dollar fix, tops.
Is this something I can do myself? If so, how?

MisterWilson
02-01-09, 20:29
Thanks for the replies! I appreciate the insight.

Is this something I can do myself? If so, how?

Assuming you have all the right tools, sure.

In your case however, unless it was enough to actually interfere with the handful of rails that mounted off your barrel nut, I wouldn't sweat it.

scottryan
02-01-09, 21:59
The barrel nut issue is overblown. That's a $15 dollar fix, tops. In any case, it's probably a non issue. If, by chance, he installs a rail that actually requires the barrel nut (as opposed to replacing it with a proprietary one), is it bad enough you can you can't index a Troy/MI/Samson rail on it?

A barrel with a screwed up nut or FSB is hardly a $15 fix.

An experienced buyer will not touch a barrel with either of these issues for any price near a factory condition barrel.