Length: 9.75”
Weight: 15.9oz.
Field of View at 100m: 86.28’-24.6’
Eye Relief: 4.3”-3.53”
Tube Diameter: 30mm.
Objective: 24mm.
Tube: 1 Piece.
Exterior Finish: Anodized Matt Black.
Reticle: Front Focal Plane H-48 Reticle.
Adjustment: 1 Click = ½ MOA.
Waterproof: 2 Meters.
Illumination: 11 Positions.
Night vision Capable: Yes.
Daytime Visible Reticle: No.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f376/paulosantos/h48_Huge.gif

THE H-48 RETICLE: (Taken from the Horus Catalog)
1. Close Range: The Horus Talon presents a bold “Ghost Ring” with a central dot. When engaging targets at close range, the rifleman should use 1x, which provides maximum field of view. In this scenario, the Bold Ghost Ring visually becomes a very large aiming dot. The central dot basically disappears. Once target is in the field of view, the rifleman instantly places the bold circle on the target and fires.
2. Mid-Range: When using the Horus Talon as a Mid-Range reticle, the rifleman places the optic on 3x or 4x. The Bold Ghost Ring allows the rifleman’s eye to be quickly centered naturally on the Aiming Dot. When shooting from 1 to 200 meters, simply place the target inside the Ghost Ring and fire. When time permits, for more precise shot placement, the Aiming Dot is used.
3. Long Range: When Long Range engagement is required, the rifleman moves the power ring to 4x. The Horus Reticle appears to be a small “Christmas Tree”, which provides accurate holdovers for extended ranges.
4. Lead Markers: The Horus Talon also features “Lead Markers” on the main horizontal cross hair which provides the rifleman with the tool to engage moving targets. The numbers on the Lead markers represent the speed of the target as follows:
4 = 4 MPH the speed of a man fast walking.
8 = 8 MPH the speed of a man running.
12 = 12 MPH the speed of a man sprinting.
16 = 16 MPH the speed of an APC.

(Note: Horus is coming out with a variation of the H-48 Reticle, which they call the H-47 Reticle. It is basically the same as the H-48, except that it has a central targeting cross instead of the central dot, plus it features a thinner Ghost Ring. If it had been available, I would have preferred the H-47 reticle since it is even more precise than the H-48 since it has a ½ Mil Mark between the center cross and the 1 Mil Mark.).

INTRO:
I wanted a new scope for my new 6.8 REM SPC upper and I wanted a 1x4 scope. I wanted a multi-purpose scope that was capable of clearing rooms at 1x and the added magnification for extended ranges. I also wanted a reticle with BDC but I did not want it to be caliber specific. I have always been intrigued with the Horus Talon concept, but I was always afraid to take the plunge because it always got so-so reviews.

INTITAL THOUGHTS:
When I first took it out of the package, I was impressed with how good it looked. It is relatively light and short compared to some other scopes. The H-48 reticle was exactly what I thought it would be like. At 1x, the reticle is very similar to the EOTech reticle, and it is a true 1x. At 4x, the reticle gets magnified and the “Christmas Tree” becomes visible and provides the holdovers for extended ranges. The center dot is approximately 6 MOA in size. Some people will say that the reticle appears cluttered, but it is a personal thing. Since it is exactly what I wanted, I have no complaints. Remember, you are supposed to look through the reticle, not at it. The reticle is not daytime visible, but it isn’t something that I was high on since I didn’t want an optic that relied on batteries. The quality of the glass is on par with the Leupold Scopes.

All the turrets have nice positive clicks. The illumination turret has an off position and it goes from 1-11. The first couple positions are for Night Vision. When illuminated, the entire reticle lights up, except the “Christmas Tree” BDC. It doesn’t have an off position in between each click, which would have been nice. The magnification power ring has a little knob on it which makes it easy to change the magnification. The Horus Talon also features an adjustable diopter like the Leupold CQT. What I like the most is the design of the rear housing. It is a flat shape, unlike the IOR scopes, which makes it very easy to put on Butler Creek Covers on it.

MOUNTING:
Since I like to shoot nose to charging handle, I decided to use the Larue SPR-E to mount the Horus Talon. My first complaint about the scope is the eye relief. I have been so spoiled with my IOR scopes since they have a fixed eye relief, so this took a little getting used to. At 4x, I can shoot nose-to-charging-handle. But when on 1x, I have to move back some because the eye relief is 4.3”. It actually isn’t as bad as I thought especially when standing up because it is actually more comfortable with my head a little further away. I just have to get used to it, which I already feel comfortable with.

POSITIVES:
1. True 1x.
2. Size.
3. Cost. (Low to mid $800.00.).
4. Field of View.
5. Reticle.

NEGATIVES:
1. Reticle not visible in sunlight.
2. Illumination Turret does not have off position in between clicks.
3. Reticle can be busy to some people.

ACCESSORIES:
The Horus Talon also came with bikini covers, which have a clear lens on each side so you can use without taking off the covers. I still went with the Butler Creek Flip-Up Covers as a matter of preference.

Included with the Horus Talon was the Horus Digital Aiming Software CD. I installed the PC version of the ATRAG software on my computer and the Palm version on my TREO 650 cell phone and they both work great.

CONCLUSION:
I really like this scope. I’ve had other variable scopes in the past and I currently have the Leupold CQT, which I really like. If Leupold made the CQT FFP with the H-47 or H-48 reticle, it would be awesome. IS this scope for everyone? No. If you don’t like a cluttered reticle and if you must have a daytime lit reticle, this isn’t for you. In my opinion, this is the best 1x4 scope for the price. The Short Dot is the best variable scope, but at nearly twice the price, I’ll keep my Horus Talon.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f376/paulosantos/100_0975.jpg

Reticle at 4X. (Taken from "Book of AR15.).
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f376/paulosantos/Picture001.jpg

C4IGrant
12-03-06, 20:40
Excellent review and glad you like it. Horus makes excellent optics.

C4

paulosantos
12-03-06, 20:43
Excellent review and glad you like it. Horus makes excellent optics.

C4

Thanks for the excellent price and service.

Derek_Connor
12-03-06, 21:11
I think that scope mates nicely with the 6.8spc cartridge.

paulosantos
12-05-06, 14:33
I think that scope mates nicely with the 6.8spc cartridge.

I tested it out to 300 yards yesterday and I was 10 for 10 with it shooting at 8" targets. I agree, it is a good combination with the 6.8SPC.

Sam
12-29-06, 13:21
Nice review. By coincidence, I held a Horus Talon the other day that belongs to my friend that just came back from Iraq. His own personal scope, he mounted it on the carry handle of his M4. A nice, robus scope that survived some rough and tumbling time.

paulosantos
12-29-06, 19:16
Paul, Huge favor, could you measure the stock length of the ACE shorty with the 1" pad?(from the reciever end)

I'm thinking of that stock or the Vltor fixed for my 6.8 build.

Mark

The regular one is exactly 7 3/4" when installed. With the extended recoil pad, it is 1" longer to make it 8 3/4". If you are interested in it I may be selling mine because I want to get a Collapsible stock for my AR. I just have to get approval from my Chief. I should know by Tuesday or Wednesday. of next week.

paulosantos
12-29-06, 19:18
Nice review. By coincidence, I held a Horus Talon the other day that belongs to my friend that just came back from Iraq. His own personal scope, he mounted it on the carry handle of his M4. A nice, robus scope that survived some rough and tumbling time.

How did your friend like it? Glad he's home safe.

paulosantos
12-29-06, 19:22
Here are some pics. The reticle didn't come out that well, especially on 4x.

1x
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f376/paulosantos/100_0994.jpg

4x
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f376/paulosantos/100_0995.jpg

1x
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f376/paulosantos/100_0992.jpg

4x
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f376/paulosantos/100_0993.jpg

Sam
12-29-06, 21:11
How did your friend like it? Glad he's home safe.

I meant to type "robust" but left out the t. :(

He said he likes it a lot, he must liked it since he bought and paid for it himself. The 1x allowed usage for CQB and higher magnifications for longer range. I guess it's the poor man's scope alternative to the Schmidt & Bender.
His main gun is the Barrett 50, the M4 equipped with the Horus is his other long gun.

mark5pt56
12-30-06, 20:09
The regular one is exactly 7 3/4" when installed. With the extended recoil pad, it is 1" longer to make it 8 3/4". If you are interested in it I may be selling mine because I want to get a Collapsible stock for my AR. I just have to get approval from my Chief. I should know by Tuesday or Wednesday. of next week.

Ok buddy, let me know.
Although I have "prebans" I would like to build a posty for the trips to NY for hunting. Do a 6.8 with comp attached??

It seems bright outside in the pics, the retitcle looks ok in the pic. I see what you mean about the hold over portion not being "visible" in the 1x.

Mark

Alpha Sierra
12-30-06, 20:39
Very interesting. May have to have one on my next build.

Thanks for the pics, PS.

paulosantos
12-30-06, 21:02
Ok buddy, let me know.
Although I have "prebans" I would like to build a posty for the trips to NY for hunting. Do a 6.8 with comp attached??

It seems bright outside in the pics, the retitcle looks ok in the pic. I see what you mean about the hold over portion not being "visible" in the 1x.

Mark

Yep, when it is on 1x, the holdovers are practically impossible to see, which isn't a bad thing at all. Everything kind of clears up and when you zoom it out to 4x, the "Christmas Tree" shows up. I really like the concept.

JGarrison
01-31-07, 20:54
Any idea when the updated reticle will be avail? Great review BTW:D

Edit-found their site, looks like they have another one called the H50 avail

http://www.horusvision.com/scopes.html

paulosantos
02-03-07, 17:23
Any idea when the updated reticle will be avail? Great review BTW:D

Edit-found their site, looks like they have another one called the H50 avail

http://www.horusvision.com/scopes.html

Should have them in mid to late of February.

C4IGrant
02-04-07, 13:43
Should have them in mid to late of February.

I have them on order (both models).

C4

tikkafan
02-04-07, 15:27

What are they going to sell for. I am basically torn between one of these and a TA33.

What kind of warranty is Horus offering?

C4IGrant
02-04-07, 15:48
What are they going to sell for. I am basically torn between one of these and a TA33.

What kind of warranty is Horus offering?

I sell them for around $814. The TA33 will be about the same price.

Horus offers a limited lifetime warranty I believe.

C4

paulosantos
02-13-07, 14:38
C4

Do you know if the H47 Reticle is supposed to be daytime visible?

C4IGrant
02-13-07, 14:54
Do you know if the H47 Reticle is supposed to be daytime visible?

Not in full sun.

C4

docsherm
02-27-09, 13:04
I know that this is an old post but I have been very interested in this scope. Does anyone know were I can get a Horus Talon 1-4x24 CQB Scope?