PDA

View Full Version : Command Arms stocks? Quality?

Glockster35
12-03-06, 20:49
I am considering purchasing one of these stocks. it is the Command Arms Accessories.

The specific stock I am looking at is the CBS, witht he ACP adjustable cheek rest.

http://www.commandarms.com/thumb.asp?myheight=200&mywidth=200&image=img/productImages/ACP/ACP_on_CBS(web).jpg

If I do go through with it, I will be purchasing the entire set up, stock, tube, buffer and all that! price is right around $79.99 for the stock (complete) and another $29.95 for the ACP cheek piece.

Anyone tried this set-up out yet?

Milkman
12-03-06, 21:29
The stocks are so-so. I played with one and came away with an uninteresting feeling. The plastic is OK but all hardware is junk.

As far as the adjustable cheek piece goes, they are generally worthless on an AR.

Ungwaha
12-04-06, 18:47
Glockster look on aimsurplus for the whole kit. IIRC they are $69 there. I bought one from my local shop. I haven't been out to shoot it yet, but the thing I liked about it was the rubber butt pad that comes from the factory.

olds442tyguy
12-05-06, 19:01
Will the (non existant in that picture) charging handle clear the cheek piece?

Glockster35
12-05-06, 19:25
It doesn't appear a charging handle would clear it. Thanks for pointing that out.

I am still bidding on a few different stocks on E-Bay, but I am getting tired of getting out bid. If I win one finally, that's cool, if not, I see one of these in my future, without the ACP (at least for now).

C4IGrant
12-06-06, 19:26
Stick with the CTR.

C4

Hotolds442
12-06-06, 19:27
I looked at a CAA stock at the last funshow, it actually felt pretty good, and had storage for (4)123 size Lithium batteries in the stock. I wasn't impressed with the mounting hardware though. I'm not sure it was milspec. It just felt tinny. Not sure who supplied the mounting hardware though, it may not have came with the stock.
http://www.midwayusa.com/mediasvr.dll/image?saleitemid=575952

I went with the Magpul CTR and it works well for me, and the hardware that came with it (CMT) functions well.

Glockster35
12-06-06, 20:09
Anyone sell a Mil-Spec M4 style set up for under $80?

That's what I want, and I can't seem to win one on e-bay. I want Mil-Spec only!

I can't afford the CTR right now, but with Mil-Spec hardware, I will be closer than what I am now.

Is Tapco any good?

Glockster35
12-06-06, 20:31
Nevermind that last post, I just realized Bravo Company has a Calvary Arms M4 stock for $66.

Anyone know if it is Mil-Spec?

LOKNLOD
12-06-06, 21:20
Nevermind that last post, I just realized Bravo Company has a Calvary Arms M4 stock for $66.

Anyone know if it is Mil-Spec?

I think the CavArms tube is commercial spec. CavArms stuff should be a lot better quality than the Command Arms or Tapco stuff.

I don't want to steer you away from Bravo Co, because they're 100% good to go, but if a mil-spec stock tube is what's most important to you (wanting to upgrade later, it sounds), the CMT assembly from G&R has the mil-spec tube, for $87.

On the other hand, if you definitely plan to get CTR, they will eventually be releasing a model for commercial-spec tubes, maybe it'll be out by the time you are ready to upgrade.

Glockster35
12-06-06, 21:23
Grant,

Is this true? Does the CMT have a Mil-Spec tube? Which buffer do I need, and what does the CMT come with?

Hotolds442
12-07-06, 22:48
CMT 6 Position Mil Spec Tube: The CMT milspec Tube will fit stocks such as VLTOR, COLT, LMT or CMT/STAG. Kit comes complete with Buffer Tube, Castle Nut & End Plate.

That's what's currently on my rifle, Cory. Other than the color, which is more gray than black, it is a good fit on the CTR.

Here's one I found at GTS:
Description: CMT/STAG M4 MIL SPEC BUTTSTOCK KIT. THE BUFFER TUBE IS A 6 POSITION MILSPEC TUBE. THIS ALLOWS YOU TO SWITCH BUTTS TO OTHER POPULAR MIL SPEC BUTTS LIKE THE LMT SOPMOD, AND VLTOR. TOP QUALITY ALL THE WAY.
http://globaltactical.com/axami/img/prod_hi/268.jpg

You get everything for around $80 shipped. Shop around and who knows........

It seems that if a stock uses a milspec tube, it's used as a selling point. If it doesn't say, chances are that it's not.

Glockster35
12-08-06, 03:27
Thats the one I am looking at.

Thanks

mike01ta
12-12-06, 21:53
I have notice you guys around here have a real affinity for knocking budget priced products. I have a CAA CBS and it is just as good or better than the stock commercial M4 that came on my RRA. Ooops wait, I hear keyboards clacking to write back and tell me my RRA sucks too. The CBS will not fit on my commercial tube so I am asuming that it and the tube that came with it are mil-spec 1.15 instead of 1.17. It aint so bad and it will suit 90% of you just fine. Military and police please disregard my rant. I would love an Vltor but dont have the money quite yet. Those of you who can buy LaRue and LMT and all that good stuff more power to you. Some of us have budget constraints. . I will go hide the rest of my CAA-TDI-First Samco gear so its feelings will not get hurt.
MD

P.S. The police dept I work with use RRAs and have had no complaints

swingset
12-13-06, 05:10
I have notice you guys around here have a real affinity for knocking budget priced products. I have a CAA CBS and it is just as good or better than the stock commercial M4 that came on my RRA. Ooops wait, I hear keyboards clacking to write back and tell me my RRA sucks too. The CBS will not fit on my commercial tube so I am asuming that it and the tube that came with it are mil-spec 1.15 instead of 1.17. It aint so bad and it will suit 90% of you just fine. Military and police please disregard my rant. I would love an Vltor but dont have the money quite yet. Those of you who can buy LaRue and LMT and all that good stuff more power to you. Some of us have budget constraints. . I will go hide the rest of my CAA-TDI-First Samco gear so its feelings will not get hurt.
MD

I'm with ya. I have a RRA M4 stock with a CAA saddle that has made it through a boatload of matches, 3 carbine courses and more training sessions than I can count. Beat up, but still perfect. I haven't busted any doors down with it, but I can't complain one ounce about the actual performance or quality.

Come to think of it, the gun it sits on houses a chinese airsoft Knight's knockoff mount holding up my Aimpoint, a home-made 3-point sling, and one of the cheapest lowers out there (SA), a model-1 sales bolt/carrier, and a 11.5" barrel of unknown origins. I have yet to experience a single issue on this gun, other than the odd stoppage when it's filthy and dry. Squirt some CLP, keeps right on running. It doesn't know, apparently, that it's a cheap POS.

I can see the squirming of everyone reading this, but my beater cost $800 complete WITH the tax stamp. That extra $1,000 bought alot of range time.

LOKNLOD
12-13-06, 07:57
Relax guys, don't get too worked up. Nobody said the all their stuff was pure crap, just that after handling the CAA stock they weren't super impressed with all the hardware and would recommend a more proven stock assembly. Nobody's gonna vote you off the island for not having a $200 buttstock. I know my RRA stock works fine on my carbine, it rattles a bit but hey it's not like my job description includes sneaking up and bayonetting VC from behind (although there are a few guys here at work that deserve a good stabbing…).

Mike since you are pleased with your CAA stock, why don't you give us a mini-review? I mean that sincerely, not smart-ass. If it works well for you I'd like to know more about it, and I'm sure others would as well.

C4IGrant
12-13-06, 09:00
MD

Everyone is in different positions and all like different gear. I have found that I tend to break cheaper products. Most people do not run their weapons very hard (like you would do in training) so they never find out what is junk and what is not. I am not saying that this applies to you, but it applies too many shooters.

C4

Steve-HSA
12-13-06, 10:23
I've sold a few, and have a CAA stock on one of my SBR's just to try it out. I always like to use the gear I sell which helps me weed out the junk. My opinion is it's a good budget stock for the money @ discount price, not retail, but it does have a few defects, the biggest being the sling loop, total POS. I do like the wider butt and rubber like material it's made out of. I can't say if it's hard use ready, but it's certainly acceptable to use on your basic budget operator clone rifle. Personally, I think less is more, and the 6-pos butt found on factory Colt M4 rifles is pretty damn good.

ETA: I forgot to talk to the adj. cheek rest. IMHO, it's a gizmo, and gizmo's don't belong on rifles, just another thing to fumble with, become loose, get broken, foul up your next shot. Leave shit like that at the arcade.

MaceWindu
12-13-06, 13:44
Stick with the CTR.

Agreed, nice piece of kit.

Mace