PDA

View Full Version : I need a good book

parishioner
02-01-09, 01:05
This past semester of college, I have had to read the lamest books for english class you can imagine. To name a few, Utopia, The Tempest, Herland, Their Eyes Were Watching God, The Handmaids Tale and The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing. All of which dealt with Utopian or Distopian societies in some form or fashion. Ill admit the last one was pretty good but other than that.....AWFUL.

Anyway......now that I am no longer required to take any more english classes, I am looking for an excellent book that is "Tom Clancyish". To be perfectly honest, I have never read a Tom Clancy novel besides the back of them, which claim that they are worth a read. I am really open to anything.

Im just looking for a good, military based book.

Suggestions please!!!

Thanks guys.

texasrangers
02-01-09, 01:17
Secret Commandos, by John L. Plaster. true story of green beret cross border recon missions into Laos and Cambodia by the top secret Studies and Observation group. incredibly story - tons of action. you can find it on amazon.com for 4 bucks or less.

parishioner
02-01-09, 01:35
sweet. thanks

Is it well written?

lwoper
02-01-09, 01:39
anything by Larry Chambers, Gary linderer, or other true life veitnam era books i have enjoyed every veitnam book i have read. A must read is marine sniper. Another good book is Shooter not sure of the author. Just my .02

skyugo
02-01-09, 01:43
check out atlas shrugged. i suppose a semi-distopian book. you'll draw a lot of parallels to our current umm.. situation.

huxley's brave new world is a good utopia book too.

though i suppose you're not really asking for books of this sort. :o i'm just in the habit of recommending atlas shrugged to anyone with conservative ideals.

M4tographer
02-01-09, 01:49
Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell

Don't know if it was my prior military service that did it, but I found it very hard to keep my eyes dry while reading it.

I also highly recommend reading all of the Tom Clancy novels from start to finish. I never got into the NetForce of Ops Center ones, but the regular series is fantastic.

Term Limits by Vince Flynn is another good one. ;)

Gentoo
02-01-09, 02:30
Chickenhawk (http://www.amazon.com/Chickenhawk-Robert-Mason/dp/0143035711/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233476706&sr=8-1)

drummerdude1188
02-01-09, 03:34
The book "House to House"

geminidglocker
02-01-09, 03:46
Zombie Survival Guide;)

Iraqgunz
02-01-09, 04:13
I'll second that as well. Very good book and hard to put down. Also, Kill bin Laden by "Dalton Fury" another very well written book.

Don't know if it was my prior military service that did it, but I found it very hard to keep my eyes dry while reading it.

I also highly recommend reading all of the Tom Clancy novels from start to finish. I never got into the NetForce of Ops Center ones, but the regular series is fantastic.

Term Limits by Vince Flynn is another good one. ;)

5pins
02-01-09, 06:01
Blackhawk down by Mark Bowden.

Bighead
02-01-09, 06:45
Not a Good Day to Die: The Untold Story of Operation Anaconda - Sean Naylor (http://www.amazon.com/Not-Good-Day-Die-Operation/dp/0425196097)

The Forgotten Soldier - Guy Sajer (http://www.amazon.com/Forgotten-Soldier-Guy-Sajer/dp/1574882864/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233491754&sr=8-1).

Gates of Fire - Steven Pressfield (http://www.amazon.com/Gates-Fire-Steven-Pressfield/dp/B001IC9PNM/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233491868&sr=1-6)

Red Storm Rising (http://www.amazon.com/Red-Storm-Rising-Tom-Clancy/dp/042510107X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233491960&sr=1-1) is my favorite Clancy book.

sjc3081
02-01-09, 06:55
The best book I ever read Unintended Consequences by John Ross. I recommend this book to everyone. I strongly recommend this book
Link www.john-ross.net/store.php

GLOCKMASTER
02-01-09, 07:16
Rough Neck Nine One (http://www.amazon.com/Roughneck-Nine-One-Extraordinary-Special-team/dp/0312353324)

The Misson, The Men and Me:Lessons Learned from a Former Delta Force Commander (http://www.amazon.com/Mission-Men-Me-Lessons-Commander/dp/0425223728)

LEADERSHIP AND TRAINING FOR THE FIGHT: A FEW THOUGHTS ON LEADERSHIP AND TRAINING FROM A FORMER SPECIAL OPERATIONS SOLDIER (http://www.amazon.com/LEADERSHIP-TRAINING-FIGHT-THOUGHTS-OPERATIONS/dp/1420889508/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233494011&sr=1-1) by Paul Howe.

Kill Bin Laden, Lone Survivor and Not a Good Day to Die that were mentioned above are also excellent reads.

telecustom
02-01-09, 07:36
if you are going to read the Clancy series, start with "Without Remorse". It is the story of the John Clark character. It is by far my favorite book of the series.

SloaneRanger
02-01-09, 07:47

I second this opinion .... strongly.

yrac
02-01-09, 07:56
I also highly recommend reading all of the Tom Clancy novels from start to finish.

Good advice for the reader unfamiliar with Clancy... While you could pick and choose books to read, a number of the characters are futher developed as the series progresses, so you lose out on seeing that development by picking his books up randomly. Now that I've read them all, I of course find that I have favorites, but it was worth it to read them all in order. I particularly enjoyed Without Remorse. I agree with telecustom - this is one that could be read first, even though it wasn't the first in the series. Up to you - there is a very interesting character that shows up in most of Clancy's books, and Without Remorse provides the background information on this character. I personally enjoyed seeing "snippets" of the character in the initial books, and then learning his full background once Without Remorse was released, but it would also be a great read if you choose it first.

If you enjoy Clancy, you might also enjoy Last of the Breed by Louis L'Amour. The Walking Drum, also by L'Amour, was a good read as well. Neither are Westerns.

Gutshot John
02-01-09, 08:08
I'm not a big fan of Tom Clancy. Most of his books with a few exceptions are invariably the same. Patriot Games was kind of silly and his understanding of the conflict/factions, especially the IRA/Provos is flawed at best. "Red Storm Rising" is the only intellectually interesting of his books imo.

For better spy-thriller try David Morrell's "Brotherhood of the Rose". He's the guy who created the character of John Rambo (way different than Stallone's). Much better characters.

However once you read some Bowden, reality makes the fiction pale in comparison. Blackhawk Down, Guests of the Ayatollah, Killing Pablo are all exceptional books.

JSGlock34
02-01-09, 08:13
With Tom Clancy, just be warned that a number of books these days bear his name "Op Center, Splinter Cell, NetForce" that are not actually written by him. Typically, these say "Tom Clancy's" whatever series, and are actually written by other authors.

Personally, Clear and Present Danger is among my favorite Tom Clancy novels, though the movie adaptation left much to be desired. Red Storm Rising is a classic, though it may appear dated to anyone born after the Cold War. It is a standalone novel though and not connected to any of the other books in Clancy's Jack Ryan series. I think it's best to start with Patriot Games, The Hunt for Red October, etc and read the novels in order, as there is a progression to the characters.

I'll second the recommendations for Steven Pressfield's Gates of Fire, Mark Bowden's Blackhawk Down, and Not a Good Day to Die by Sean Naylor.

Jay Cunningham
02-01-09, 08:22
If you've never read the original novel Starship Trooperss that is a good one - nothing like the dumb ass film.

Federale
02-01-09, 08:27
However once you read some Bowden, reality makes the fiction pale in comparison. Blackhawk Down, Guests of the Ayatollah, Killing Pablo are all exceptional books.

I didn't read Guests of the Ayatollah, but the other two are excellent.

I liked Tom Clancy when I was in high school. After that, not so much. I might have stopped reading after his first 5 or 6 novels. I later picked up Rainbow Six and wasn't interested enough in it to finish it. I guess the techno-talk was more interesting to me when I didn't know what he was talking about. ;) I also stopped reading military fiction books. There's too much interesting non-fiction out there.

Steven Ambrose books are good reads. He's had his credibility as a true historian tarnished, but they're interesting books nonetheless. I've read most of them, mostly while sitting on an airplane going somewhere.

Personally, I thought Lone Survivor was a poorly written book but a good story. I'll give him a pass since he's obviously not a writer.

I finished One Bullet Away by Nathaniel Fick and thought it was pretty good. Much of the Iraq portion is the same basic story of Generation Kill, but I personally found it to be better.

Jay Cunningham
02-01-09, 08:31
I stopped reading Clancy after I actually did a West Pac on an aircraft carrier. Clancy glorifies everything - reality is much different. I guess reality wouldn't sell books, though.

JSGlock34
02-01-09, 08:32
If you've never read the original novel Starship Troopers that is a good one - nothing like the dumb ass film.

I'll second this. It is also on the recommended reading lists of many US military institutions.

Gutshot John
02-01-09, 08:47
Starship Troopers is one of my favorite books. Anything by Heinlein will be excellent. I love science fiction that include politics, economics and other social institutions into the story. "Dune" by Frank Herbert is similarly excellent if you like good sci-fi.

For real military stories...

"Seven Pillars of Wisdom" by T.E. Lawrence (very interesting in today's world)

"The Longest Day" or "A Bridge Too Far" by Cornelius Ryan.

Ryan is much better from a story-telling perspective as well as a historical perspective than Ambrose. He was a Canadian vet who landed on D-Day. Ten years later he interviewed hundreds of survivors to compile his account. It remains the definitive account of Operation Overlord.

Iraqgunz
02-01-09, 09:24
I am very fortunate that I have personal autographed copies of the following books. All of which are good and some have been mentioned.

1. Roughneck 91- SFC Frank Antenori
2. Hogs in the Shadows- (snipers in Iraq) Milo S. Afong
3. Kill bin Laden- "Dalton Fury"
4. Outsourced- (fiction about use of contractors in war) R.J Hillhouse
5. War in the Pacific Vol. II- BG Jerome T. Hagen, USMC

Jay Cunningham
02-01-09, 09:24
Kill bin Laden was good but man I blazed through it fast.

lalakai
02-01-09, 09:25
Battle Cry.

fiction and might be out of print, but i think it's along the lines you identified.

and not to sound sarcastic, but see if you can find any of the Harry Potter books on tape/cd. my kids got me started on those and when i want to take a light hearted break, i put one in when i'm in the car.

and i also second Heinlein, but there you are getting into sci fi and not sure if that's the direction you want. good luck and let us know which ones you opted for.

................and...........good pattern to get into. "Reading" is always a good thing.

Littlelebowski
02-01-09, 09:46
I can strongly recommend With the Old Breed (http://www.amazon.com/Old-Breed-At-Peleliu-Okinawa/dp/0195067142) by E.B. Sledge. It's the true story of a Marine mortarman "island hopping" in the South Pacific. Stark, real, and it actually mentions what did and didn't work training wise. It also mentions the wholeslaughter of the Marines by idiot admirals. Very sombering novel and it should be on every Marine's bookshelf.

I am currently working my way through Blood and Thunder (http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Thunder-Carson-Conquest-American/dp/1400031109/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233502776&sr=1-1), the story of Kit Carson the frontier scout who later became a Colonel in the Army. It also details the Confederacy's attemps to take the West and their ignominious defeat (the Texans were defeated by Coloradans). It's an outstanding read and I can't put it down. The battles against the Navaho are covered in depth and tactics and strategy are laid out in detail.

Macx
02-01-09, 09:47
Clear the Utopian fog with a couple good short philosophy books - Meditations by Aurelius and Hagakure by Tsunetomo. They are oldies but goodies.

"Love the art, poor as it may be, which thou hast learned, and be contentwith it; and pass through the rest of life like one who has intrusted to the gods with his whole soul all that he has, making thyself neitherthe tyrant nor slave of any man" Marcus Aurelius

"At the time of a deliberation concerning criminals, Nakane Kazuma proposed making the punishment one degree lighter than what would be appropriate. This is a treasury of wisdom that only he was the possessor of. At that time, though there were several men in attendance, if it had not been for Kazuma alone, no one would have opened his mouth. For this reason he is called Master Commencement and Master Twenty-five Days." Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Littlelebowski
02-01-09, 09:48
Avoid "Shooter" by Coughlin like the plague. Awful, simply freaking awful. Every Marine sniper I know hates the book and laughs at his pretentious claims.

Jay Cunningham
02-01-09, 09:48
hagakure is a good companion piece to go rin no sho by Mushashi.

parishioner
02-01-09, 12:15
I think I will try to get a copy of Lone Survivor since that was mentioned a few times as well as Kill Bin Laden since I have seen that book at the book store on campus.

Once Im done with those, Ill try out some others.

Maybe Starship

Thanks

Palmguy
02-01-09, 12:18
Anything by Brad Thor (latest is The Last Patriot) or Vince Flynn (latest is Extreme Measures).

thopkins22
02-01-09, 12:27
I think I will try to get a copy of Lone Survivor since that was mentioned a few times as well as Kill Bin Laden since I have seen that book at the book store on campus.

Both are great stories. Lone Survivor waves the flag a little excessively, but it recounts an amazing battle. Kill Bin Laden is a great look at the tippity tip of the spear mainly at Tora Bora(but also a few cool stories from other conflicts.)

If you're looking for brain candy(fiction) I strongly suggest anything by David Baldacci.

parishioner
02-01-09, 14:26
Just picked up a copy of Kill Bin Laden.

$27.77 There goes my beer money for the next two weeks.

I can't wait to read it once I finish discussing the differences and similarities of prokayotic and eukaryoic genomes as well as gram positive and gram negative bacteria!!!! Woooohooooo! :)

A-Bear680
02-01-09, 14:42
Another Bowden book : "Killing Pablo".

jaydoc1
02-01-09, 19:24
This is a pretty good book. (http://www.fellowshipchurch.ca/FCKeditor/UserFiles/image/Bible.jpg)

I'm still waiting to find out how it ends. :p

csheehy
02-01-09, 21:19
Killing Rommel by Steven Pressfield (author of Gates of Fire-also highly recommended) Fictionalized account of Brit desert scouts/commandos in WWII
North Africa.

"L.A. Quartet" by James Ellroy. Four period novels of the LAPD from the 40s-50s.
Consists of Black Dahlia (movie was AWFUL), The Big Nowhere, L.A. Confidential (movie EXCELLENT), and White Jazz.

Robert Crais: Elvis Cole novels. Younger, hipper, less formulaic hard-boiled detective (like Robert Parker's Spenser character only Crais talent hasn't dried up yet...) set in Los Angeles.

Mark Steyn: America Alone. "Soon to be banned in Canada" Predicts a rather grim future in the long war. But G-D funny at regular intervals.

As for other non-fiction, Bowden's Blackhawk Down and Killing Pablo are both fantastic.

HTH

Chris Sheehy

Bat Guano
02-01-09, 21:43
I remember when I got shunted into honors English as a freshman in college. A complete and utter waste of time. Thank God for used bookstores and Amazon.com.

Second "Lone Survivor" and "Gates of Fire". Both flat outstanding! Others: "Stoic Warriors", Nancy Sherman; "On Killing" and "On Combat", by Grossman; "The Mind of War" (on John Boyd) by Hammond.

Concur with Marcus Aurelius' "Meditations"; "Nichomachean Ethics" by Aristotle; and "Enchiridon" by Epictetus. The remembrance of the last was Jim Stockdale's lifeline in the Hanoi Hilton.

RogerinTPA
02-01-09, 21:44
Chickenhawk (http://www.amazon.com/Chickenhawk-Robert-Mason/dp/0143035711/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233476706&sr=8-1)

Excellent book on being a US Army Aviator! I read this before going to Mother Rucker (Ft Rucker) for flight school back in the day. It was a very good prep at what to expect and name that part/nomenclature description on the old UH-1 Hueys.:cool:

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-01-09, 23:22
+1 on BlackHawk Down, that is what Clancy was trying to write from things in his head. Red Storm Rising, I think was his best, I could pick that book up and start reading from any page.

I prefer "Fountian Head" to "Atlas Shrugged", maybe because my limit for a novel is 400pages. "Brave New World" rocks, wish I had some soma.

In Non-fiction/History I liked VD Hanson's "Carnage and Culture". It get's a bit repetitive, but he is trying to make a point. Cortez's story is told like it wasn't told in High School. Of Course Sun Tzu is a bit old hat, some financial reporter wrote a book, "Sun Tzu was a Pussy". Really nice quick read is Bull's translation of "The Prince". Short read, but I kept on reading it until I got all the quotes I wanted, beyond those that everyone knows. The most quoted and least read book besides the Bible.

Want to stretch your brain in 5 or more dimensions? "Schroedingers Cat " and when you are comfortable with that, upset yourself with "Schroedinger's Kittens".

texasrangers
02-02-09, 01:30
Yes, Secret Commandos is very well written. It is a first hand account. Try imagining being 20 miles into Laos or Cambodia with only what you can carry on your back in triple canopy jungle and 100 degree heat and humidity, all while being constantly hunted by the NVA's version of Special Forces and trying to either figure out where Charlie is building a new road/camp/base so you can call in a B-52 strike on it; or trying to snatch a prisoner, or ambush a truck convoy. Im surprised no one here has heard of it. Again, its only like $4.

1911pilot
02-02-09, 14:08
"Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand. Truly a classic, 50 years old, but you'd never know it unless you read the copyright. It will make you look at current events a lot differently.

More along the lines of what your probably looking for is "Unintended Consequences" by John Ross. Not so much military, but a bit of historical fiction mixed in with current day private citizen black ops.

decodeddiesel
02-02-09, 15:13
if you are going to read the Clancy series, start with "Without Remorse". It is the story of the John Clark character. It is by far my favorite book of the series.

I agree, though I thought "Lone Survivor" was a better book.

losbronces
02-02-09, 15:53
The Sling and the Stone: On War in the 21st Century by Colonel Thomas X. Hammes is an interesting read. I don't agree with everything he says, but the book is thought provoking.

MeanRider
02-02-09, 18:36
+ 1 on
Forgotten Solder,
Without Remorse,
Blackhawkdown,
Bravo 2 Zero

chadbag
02-02-09, 18:44
Read the actual "Jack Ryan" series of Clancy books and skip the rest (of the fiction books labeled as Clancy, except Red Storm Rising). Starts with "Without Remorse". Read them in "story order" which can be found at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Clancy

Look for the Chronological Order list.

Also, right now I am reading the marcus Luttrell "Lone Survivor." The wife got me this for my BDay recently as she knew I wanted to read it since it came out (at the time I was on the libraries "back order" list for it -- 69 long when I got on -- and when it got to me I had to defer as they were claiming we had not returned a book that we had actually returned so we were not showing our face at the library for a while until they finally admitted they had the book).

Lone Survivor is also a good read and better yet is a true story.

11Bravo
02-02-09, 19:31
Inside the SAS- Tony Geraghty
Five Years to Freedom- James "Nick" Rowe
Bat 21- William C. Anderson

I have not read it yet, but a friend HIGHLY recommends
We Were Soldiers Once...and Young- Harold G. Moore and Joseph L. Galloway

Fun books-
The Fart Book- Donald Wetzel
The Fart Part II- Donald Wetzel and Martin Riskin

HAMMERDROP
02-03-09, 00:41
I am a 50 year old male and have taken so much for granted in life.
Not to stray off topic too much but if you want a good soul searching eye opening self reckoning book which will change your perspective on the one thing all hetero males have in common besides GUNS ... 'Womens Breasts' I'd have just said 'Tits' but 9x19 would be on me like white on rice...LOL :) READ:
' Breast Cancer Husband' 'How to help your wife (and yourself) through diagnosis treatment and beyond'. By Marc Silver ...
www.rodalestore.com
It may be the single thing(s) all men just take for granted without even knowing it until it comes home then talk about pulse-pounding action.
Educational reading can be as exciting and heart pounding as reading about a 'troop' trapped behind enemy lines low on ammo wounded and escaping.
Not exactly Tom Clancy prose its a war story about a war which each and everyone of our spouses girlfriends and fiances' are succeptible to at seemingly a moments notice. It can't be won, only fought til the end.
Only read if you intend to be or are married, only read it if you LOVE your girlfriend fiance' or wife but hold on to your hearts as you read it because it will change your opinion of the opposite sex.

I am not trying to preech I am just trying to ADVISE all who have supported me through this there is education the 'untouched' need to learn.
You all have been great I Thank You, my wife is snoring in the other room as I type... fighting a war Tom Clancy could not write about, and cancer free people can't understand and only few of us can relate to.

We're low on ammo behind enemy lines wounded and little chance of escape ...but we'll fight!

Michael

Buckeye67
02-03-09, 01:04
For better spy-thriller try David Morrell's "Brotherhood of the Rose". He's the guy who created the character of John Rambo (way different than Stallone's). Much better characters.

I enjoyed that one as well. I'd recommend two others of his as well - The Fraternity of the Stone and The League of Night and Fog. All three are great reads.

For some Cold War era military fiction, JC Pollock's novels: Mission MIA, Centrifuge and Crossfire are great. As is Harold Coyle's Team Yankee.

A-Bear680
02-03-09, 07:35
A couple of Iraq books that seem to make the grade:

"Moment of Truth in Iraq" by Mike Yon---- www.michaelyon-online.com
Check out "Banners And Downloads".

" The Strongest Tribe" by Bing West--- www.amazon.com -- Check out the reviews.

I'd be interested in what other people have to say about these two guys and their books.

sandman99and9
02-03-09, 09:13
one of my favorite books is Point of impact by steven hunter. The book is so much better that that crappy movie with mr. wahlberg. It is fiction but very well done. Almost makes you think Hey, this could happen...........

Rider79
02-03-09, 14:04
More along the lines of what your probably looking for is "Unintended Consequences" by John Ross. Not so much military, but a bit of historical fiction mixed in with current day private citizen black ops.

"Enemies Foreign and Domestic", and the 2nd book in the trilogy, "Domestic Enemies".

Rider79
02-03-09, 14:07
one of my favorite books is Point of impact by steven hunter. The book is so much better that that crappy movie with mr. wahlberg. It is fiction but very well done. Almost makes you think Hey, this could happen...........

Almost anything by Stephen Hunter. The last 2 Bob Lee Swagger books were somewhat lacking, but Point of Impact, Black Light, and Time to Hunt were amazing, as well as all of the books that feature Bob Lee's father, Earl, as the main character. Another Hunter book that features some characters and events related to characters/events in the Swagger books, but not Swagger himself, is "Dirty White Boys". One of the best written books I have ever read.

SperlingPE
02-03-09, 14:36
Big Boy Rules

carbinero
02-03-09, 14:46
Molon Labe! beats Atlas S'd every day of my week.

I also enjoyed Lone Survivor, Starship Troopers, Blackhawk Down, Unintended Consequences, Enemies F&D.

Happy reading.

ETA, sorry you had a bad Shakespeare experience. Instead of the cryptic later Tempest, they should had given you Othello and King Lear. Also in the military vein, Titus Andronicus is a lesser play, but made for a great movie with Anthony Hopkins. And although I haven't read it and can't say if it's a good read, the famous "band of brothers" speech came from Henry the Fifth.

Ghostrider_911
02-03-09, 15:52
Black Hawk Down was superb non-fiction.

If you are looking for good fiction (other than Tom Clancy), check out Vince Flynn (www.vinceflynn.com) and his Mitch Rapp character (CIA) is fantastic.

I would read the books in order though.

mmike87
02-03-09, 15:58
If you've never read the original novel Starship Trooperss that is a good one - nothing like the dumb ass film.

Dumb-ass film or not, we got to see Dina Meyer "exposed" that was worth the price of admission IMO. :)

I agree though - you HAVE to read the book.

Cagemonkey
02-03-09, 18:51
A couple of Iraq books that seem to make the grade:

"Moment of Truth in Iraq" by Mike Yon---- www.michaelyon-online.com
Check out "Banners And Downloads".

" The Strongest Tribe" by Bing West--- www.amazon.com -- Check out the reviews.

I'd be interested in what other people have to say about these two guys and their books.I read both books and 2nd your recommendation. I would also add "No True Glory" by Bing West

DarinFred
02-03-09, 19:16
Atlas Shrugged...Big +1
The Communist Manifesto
The Stand by Srephen King
The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay
Once an Eagle by Anton Myrer
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Everyone of them are non-stop action (except for the Manifesto) with very deep underlying lessons.

Littlelebowski
02-05-09, 15:57

Pretty good book unless you know anything about long range shooting.

Spooky130
02-05-09, 21:23
SOG - Plaster
SOG stories of the Vietnam War - covers the entire time frame in in the war

Lone Survivor - Luttrell
SEAL survives in Afghanistan

Secret Commandos - Plaster
SOG operations Plaster was involved in for 2+ years

Black Hawk Down - Bowden
The movie just more detailed

We Were Soldiers Once and Young - Moore & Galloway
The movie except you get the story of LZ Albany which was as bad or worse than LZ X-Ray in the movie

If Not Now, When? - Jacobs
You've probably seen Jack Jacobs on CNN but this is a great book about his MOH actions in Vietnam

Green Eyes, Black Rifles - Lamb
Great book on the AR system

Delta Force - Beckwith
Good book from the founder of the unit. Insights into where the idea came from.

The Blond Knight of Germany - Toliver
Story of the highest scoring ace in history. Good read.

The Rescue of River City - Dix
MOH actions of an SF soldier during the Tet Offensive

With the Old Breed - Sledge
View of life of a Marine fighting the Japanese - whole new respect for the war in the Pacific

SEAL - Walsh
SEAL in Vietnam and after. Interesting view of the Phoenix program

The Sheriff of Ramadi - Couch
Great book on the battle for Ramadi from the SEAL view point. Story of Monsoor MOH and a chief who was shot 20+ times but lived and killed the three insurgents that shot him up.

Combat Swimmer - Gormly
Interesting view of life as a SEAL

Hunting the Jackal - Waugh
Legendary SF guy in Vietnam and after hunting the Jackal and bin Laden.

Sabre Squadron - Spence
SAS actions in the first Gulf War

Bravo Two Zero - McNabb
SAS team captured in GW1.

Reflections of a Warrior - Miller
6 tour, MOH winning Vietnam soldier - AWESOME BOOK!

Masters of Chaos - Robinson
Good overview of SF during the war on terror circa 2003ish

Low Level Hell - Mills
OH-6 scout pilot in Vietnam

Brennan's War - Brennan
Soldier with 1st Air Cav in Vietnam over 4 years

Headhunters: Stories of the 1/9 Air Cav - Brennan
More stories from the above author - chapter long war stories

Sttrongbow
02-06-09, 06:36
This past semester of college, I have had to read the lamest books for english class you can imagine. To name a few, Utopia,

a foundational book of Western Throught.

The Tempest,

an EXCELLENT Shakespeare play!!!

Herland, Their Eyes Were Watching God,

Haven't read those.

The Handmaids Tale

That's a good book!

and The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing.

Don't know it.

All of which dealt with Utopian or Distopian societies in some form or fashion. Ill admit the last one was pretty good but other than that.....AWFUL.

Shakespeare? AWFUL? Are you SURE you're in college!!!??? Don;t label something awful just because YOU don;t like it.

Having said that... have you read "The Lone Survivor" by Marcus Lutrell?

Really excellent read. If you thought Bush was the bestest President ever, you'll love Lutrells politics. If you though Bush was a goober, ignore Lutrell's politics. But the story itself is truley gripping. And all true. I was was hooked!

Anyway......now that I am no longer required to take any more english classes, I am looking for an excellent book that is "Tom Clancyish". To be perfectly honest, I have never read a Tom Clancy novel besides the back of them, which claim that they are worth a read. I am really open to anything.

Suggestions please!!!

Thanks guys.

sandman99and9
02-06-09, 08:45
2 books about snipers I read.
SHOOTER by gnysgt. Jack Coughlin usmc about his time in Iraq. Published by St. Martin's Press.

Dear Mom, a snipers vietnam by Joseph T. Ward
both are non-fiction and excellent books. Gives you a look at past and present conflicts and new tactics being used. I have read them both a few times and like them a lot. I hope that does not make me a DUANE WANNABE.....LOL

sgtrock82
02-07-09, 19:04
I use to really like Clancy, especially "Red Storm Rising" until "Airborne" came out...while I was in the 82nd, I thought the book was a real crock, and that was that. My highest recommendations have already been recommended

"With The Old Breed" by EB Sledge has been my favorite for long time, one of the most visceral books I have ever read. my love of this book came to a head in 2002 when i got to meet his son henry in AL and got to see sledge's 1911, bible (which he used as a diary)uniform and gear along with his souveniers from both battles.

"Starship Troopers" by Robert Heinlein, I got a kick out of the movie but has very little to do with the book

"Shots Fired in Anger" by LTC John George a camp perry shooter/distinguished rifleman/gun nut turned officer and off to war in the pacific fighting in the Phillipines and with Merrils Marauders in Burma. Give great account of the weapons used. Out of print and hard to get.

"Black Hawk Down" by Bowden

"Forgotten Soldier" by Guy Sajer

"Storm of Steel" by Ernst Junger a german storm troop officer from WWI

If you like the big picture either "Stalingrad" or "Fall of Berlin" by Anthony Beevor. He took what traditionally have been very dry subjects and made them very readable.

Deadcenter45
02-07-09, 21:30
Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose (http://www.amazon.com/Band-Brothers-Regiment-Airborne-Normandy/dp/074322454X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234063364&sr=8-3)

This is a very good read. I haven't had the chance to see the films but this book was mesmerizing.

Spooky130
02-08-09, 00:21
Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose (http://www.amazon.com/Band-Brothers-Regiment-Airborne-Normandy/dp/074322454X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234063364&sr=8-3)

This is a very good read. I haven't had the chance to see the films but this book was mesmerizing.

Ambrose writes history that is very easy to read. You would be pleasantly surprised that the HBO series does a good job representing the book. If you are really interested in the BoB thing, get the book by Webb (or Webber). He was the central theme of one hour in the series. He wrote his book about his experiences before Ambrose even thought about writing his. If I am remembering right, he was an Ivy League English major and he wrote his book in the 50s or 60s. You can also get all the recent books but I think they are tainted by all the hype surrounding the unit. There must be at least 6 or 8 books out there now.

Spooky

Buckeye67
02-08-09, 01:48
Ambrose writes history that is very easy to read. You would be pleasantly surprised that the HBO series does a good job representing the book. If you are really interested in the BoB thing, get the book by Webb (or Webber). He was the central theme of one hour in the series. He wrote his book about his experiences before Ambrose even thought about writing his. If I am remembering right, he was an Ivy League English major and he wrote his book in the 50s or 60s. You can also get all the recent books but I think they are tainted by all the hype surrounding the unit. There must be at least 6 or 8 books out there now.

Spooky

Several of the Easy Co. vets have books out and I've enjoyed all of them.

Dick Winters:
Beyond Band of Brothers: The War Memoirs of Major Dick Winters
Biggest Brother: The Life of Major Dick Winters (by Larry Alexander)

Don Malarkey:
Easy Company Soldier : The Legendary Battles of a Sergeant from World War II's "Band of Brothers"

Lynn "Buck" Compton:
Call Of Duty: My life before, during, and after the Band of Brothers. (this one is the best of the lot, IMO)

"Wild Bill" Guarnere and "Babe" Heffron:
Brothers in Battle, Best of Friends

David Kenyon Webster's book is:
Parachute Infantry: An American Paratrooper's Memoir of D-Day and the Fall of the Third Reich

They're all must-reads for BoB fans.

I'd add WW2 101st vets' (not Easy Co.) books to the list too:

Jake McNiece (HHC/506th):
The Filthy Thirteen: The True Story of the Dirty Dozen

Don Burgett (A/506th):
Currahee!: A Screaming Eagle at Normandy
The Road to Arnhem: A Screaming Eagle in Holland
Seven Roads to Hell
Beyond the Rhine: A Screaming Eagle in Germany

...and if you can find a copy:
William Sefton (H/501st):
It Was My War, I'll Remember the Way I Want To

chadbag
02-08-09, 02:05
for WW2 books:

----
a book with humor. One man's "memoir" of his OSS days:

You're Stepping on my Cloak and Dagger
by Roger Hall

(I was given a copy of this when I was a kid -- about 30 years ago -- by a friend of my dad who knew I liked to read war books. Amazingly it is still available at Amazon.com)

----

A Bridge Too Far
by Cornelius Ryan

The movie of this is also one of my faces but I have read the book a few times. One of my favorite campaigns of the war and also the one that pisses me off the most.

----

non war or firearms or cold war or cloak and dagger/thriller type stuff

The Hobbit
The Lord of the Rings
by JRR Tolkien

I try and read these every few years. Ignore the movies -- the books are much better. My 6 year old son found the Rankin & Bass "Return of the King" cartoon on my video server (from a DVD I got a while back for Christmas) and so I have started to read "The Hobbit" to him. He acts as if he is not paying attention but then the next day starts asking intimate detail questions about what we read the night before...

parishioner
02-08-09, 02:36
a foundational book of Western Throught.

an EXCELLENT Shakespeare play!!!

Haven't read those.

That's a good book!

Don't know it.

Shakespeare? AWFUL? Are you SURE you're in college!!!??? Don;t label something awful just because YOU don;t like it.

Having said that... have you read "The Lone Survivor" by Marcus Lutrell?

I don't see how Utopia is a foundation of Western thought when the book focuses on a complete lack of individual freedom and praises commonalities within a society. It sounded to me like an extreme form of socialism especially with text stating that instead of implementing punishments for theft, a far better policy would be to make sure everyone has food.

The Handmaids Tale was pretty much a girl version of Orwell's 1984.

Shakespeare....You like it or you don't. I bet you can guess what category I'm in.
Just like I like macaroni and cheese. You might not like it. But its ok though!

Yes, Im sure Im in college. I don't see how your feelings toward shakespeare could dictate if you were or weren't in college.

Also, If I can't lable something as awful then you can't lable something as EXCELLENT just because YOU do like it. :rolleyes:

In a nut shell, the class was psychologically tormenting due to the material. Imagine you're in a class and you are repeatedly asked questions that are on so many different levels of thought about a place that can not technically exsit. It was an extremely draining class.

Anyway, I just needed a book that was interesting to me.

By the way, Im 2/3 through with Kill Bin Laden and I hope to finish it tommorow.

After that I plan on speeding to the bookstore and getting Lone Survivor. :D

LancerSystems
02-08-09, 05:25
Here are some good Blackops/spy ficton

By Marcus Wynne (read in order)
No Other Option
Warrior In The Shadows
Brothers In Arms

By John Weisman
SOAR
Direct Action
Jack In The Box

jtb0311
02-08-09, 06:28
Check out any fiction by Ralph Peters. I think he's a much better writer than most out there today. If you really want something interesting and different to sink your teeth into, try Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. It's probably my favorite book.

Paul Howe wrote a terrific non fiction book called Leadership and Training For the Fight, and I'll second the suggestion of Pete Blaber's The Mission, the Men, and Me.

jtb0311
02-08-09, 06:33
"With The Old Breed" by EB Sledge has been my favorite for long time, one of the most visceral books I have ever read. my love of this book came to a head in 2002 when i got to meet his son henry in AL and got to see sledge's 1911, bible (which he used as a diary)uniform and gear along with his souveniers from both battles.

This is one of the best books about any subject ever written. Sledge wrote another book called China Marine about his experiences in North China after the war. He was also one of the people featured in Ken Burns' "The War" documentary.

PPGMD
02-08-09, 14:52

+1

Add in Lone Survivor.

thorm001
02-08-09, 19:10
I started reading "Atlas Shrugged" last Thursday.

Spooky130
02-08-09, 19:19
Several of the Easy Co. vets have books out and I've enjoyed all of them.

Dick Winters:
Beyond Band of Brothers: The War Memoirs of Major Dick Winters
Biggest Brother: The Life of Major Dick Winters (by Larry Alexander)

Don Malarkey:
Easy Company Soldier : The Legendary Battles of a Sergeant from World War II's "Band of Brothers"

Lynn "Buck" Compton:
Call Of Duty: My life before, during, and after the Band of Brothers. (this one is the best of the lot, IMO)

"Wild Bill" Guarnere and "Babe" Heffron:
Brothers in Battle, Best of Friends

David Kenyon Webster's book is:
Parachute Infantry: An American Paratrooper's Memoir of D-Day and the Fall of the Third Reich

They're all must-reads for BoB fans.

I'd add WW2 101st vets' (not Easy Co.) books to the list too:

Jake McNiece (HHC/506th):
The Filthy Thirteen: The True Story of the Dirty Dozen

Don Burgett (A/506th):
Currahee!: A Screaming Eagle at Normandy
The Road to Arnhem: A Screaming Eagle in Holland
Seven Roads to Hell
Beyond the Rhine: A Screaming Eagle in Germany

...and if you can find a copy:
William Sefton (H/501st):
It Was My War, I'll Remember the Way I Want To

Thanks for the list! I've looked at Compton's book and put it down since I have stacks of other books I haven't read yet. The Filthy Thirteen was good but almost to the unbelievable level. One of the only other areas where I have seen a unit or event so well covered was the disaster on Mt. Everest in 1996. Seems like every person on the mountain at the time wrote a book about it - I just saw another one today!

Spooky

TRD
02-08-09, 19:52
I'm currently reading Blue Blood by Edward Conlon. In it, he writes about his experiences as an NYPD officer/detective.

It's a good read thus far.

ghideon
02-08-09, 21:16
Another vote for Starship Troopers. Fun read. I believe it's still required reading at the Air Force Academy.

CAPT KIRK
02-08-09, 21:30
"ON COMBAT"
By Ltc Dave Grossman....

If you are a real shooter or could be, then this is a must read. It would also be great for the rest of society, as it realy gives a good picture of what those of us who have to defend them in violent encounters have to deal with.

Irish
04-14-09, 18:48
Unintended Consequences by John Ross http://www.amazon.com/Unintended-Consequences-John-Ross/dp/1888118040/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239752074&sr=1-1
The Road by Cormac McCarthy http://www.amazon.com/Road-Cormac-McCarthy/dp/B001GIVCZM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239752201&sr=1-2
The top 2 books by Vin Suprynowicz http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b_0_6?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=vin+suprynowicz&sprefix=vin+su
Everyone Poops http://www.amazon.com/Everyone-Poops-My-Body-Science/dp/192913214X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239751873&sr=1-1

mattjmcd
04-14-09, 23:44
Lots of good ones mentioned already. I'll second the Burgett books on his ETO campaign with the 101st along with the more obvious ( and excellent ) Ambrose books- especially D Day. Another good book on the ETO was Col. Glover Johns' The Clay Pigeons of St Lo IF you can find it.

Others I've liked:

Hemingway- For Whom the Bell Tolls
Tolkein- LOTR saga
McCullough(sp?)- 1776
Wright- The Looming Tower
Pressfield- Killing Rommel

mattjmcd
04-14-09, 23:45
Amazon has the Glover Johns book! It was out of print for ages and decent used copies used to sell for north of $100!

cool.:)

Vic303
04-15-09, 13:51
Try the Baen Books free online library. Lots of good stuff there.
Try authors John Ringo, or David Weber.
http://www.baen.com/library/

Download what you want in various formats. I like 'em on the pda.

NinjaTactics
04-15-09, 15:04
1) Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand
2) Blowback: Costs of the American Empire, by Chalmers A. Johnson
3) The Lexus and the Olive Tree, by Thomas L. Friedman
4) The Wealth of Nations, by Adam Smith
5) The Art of War, by Sun Tzu
6) The Art of War, by Niccolo Machiavelli
7) Blackwater, by Jeremy Scahill
8) All the Shah's Men: An American Coup and the Roots of Middle East Terror, by Stephen Kinzer
9) Ghost Wars, by Steve Coll
10) Afghanistan: A Military History from Alexander the Great to the War against the Taliban, by Stephen Tanner

That should cover you for the next couple of months.

Tipy
04-15-09, 17:02
Another Heinlein best. Very entertaining.
Non fiction-"Victory Point" by Ed Darack. Just out. Background story behinds Luttrel's story. Very well written, lots of pics..

"Victory Point" puts the war in Afghanistan together better than any book so far. Great USMC shooting/ and sniper war
Can't say enough about it.
Semper Fidelis,
Tipy
I mistakenly listed the title as Operation Red Wing. Title is "Victory Point"

lindertw
04-15-09, 18:25
I recently finished three books in the 10 book series by W.E.B. Griffin called The Corps (http://www.webgriffin.com/corp.html). Great series so far...

Myrmidon08
04-16-09, 02:06
Check out:

Shadow Divers by Kurson. It is about some deep sea divers that find a U boat wreck that nobody can explain why it is just off the American coast. Sounds like fiction, but it's true and a great read.

Starship Troopers has been mentioned before, and one of my favorite all time books.

The early Clancy books are good, but they slide down hill pretty quickly Clear and Present Danger is the last one worth reading.

Darkop
04-16-09, 13:20
I'll second that as well. Very good book and hard to put down. Also, Kill bin Laden by "Dalton Fury" another very well written book.

YES YES YES
First read JAWBREAKER by Gary Bernsten. He was the CIA chief in charge at the beginning of Afghanistan. He gives and awesome preface to Kill Bin Laden. Then read Kill Bin Laden by Dalton Furry He was commander of Delta at the beginning of Afghanistan. They Provide two very good views of how this war started with excellent results and then went down the drain because of decisions made by commanders (and our commander in chief at the time) not in the theater of operations.

Iraqgunz, read Jawbreaker, you'll like it

Until that day,
Darkop

Both excellent reads

2risky
04-17-09, 19:02
+1 for House to House; A great book. Personal account of the battle for Fallujah.

Also, No True Glory by Bing West. Neither of these are fiction.

Robert's Ridge is also good. Navy Seals in Afghanistan.

theblackknight
04-17-09, 19:50
im reading On Combat right now. ive got On Killing on deck for when i finish oc.

Tipy
04-17-09, 21:29
"A Rifleman Went to War" by Herbert Mcbride. WWI US National Guard who resigned his Cpt's commission in 1914 to enlist in the Canadian army. Ended up in lots of combat as a machine gunner and sniper. One of his chapters is titled "The .45"
It will be interesting to see what you all think of it.
Semper Fidelis,
Tipy

Terry
04-17-09, 23:26
The blood of lambs.

Mjolnir
04-17-09, 23:29
This past semester of college, I have had to read the lamest books for english class you can imagine. To name a few, Utopia, The Tempest, Herland, Their Eyes Were Watching God, The Handmaids Tale and The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing. All of which dealt with Utopian or Distopian societies in some form or fashion. Ill admit the last one was pretty good but other than that.....AWFUL.

Suggestions please!!!

Thanks guys.

Blackhawk Down
Killing Pablo
Killer Elite
Green Eyes Black Rifles
Any Stephen Hunter novel.

g5m
04-19-09, 01:43
Michael Connelly's books read well. (Detective type books.)
A police book about coping with shootings:
"Into the Kill Zone" by David Klinger.

HighSpeedDreams
04-19-09, 07:14
http://a4.vox.com/6a00fa967f92f500030109d078663c000e-500pi

HES
04-19-09, 11:47
Looking for a good read. Id suggest WEB Griffin's 'The Brotherhood of war' 'The Corps' or 'The Presidential Agent' series. His books are historical fiction. Characters are over the top in places, but I found them to be entertaining.

John Birmingham's Axis of time trilogy was good. They deal with a 'what if' where a 21 century naval force is suddenly thrown into the pacific just before Midway. He also has a new book out that postulates a world where everyone in the US suddenly vanishes after some strange energy wave sweeps the nation. Both are interesting and a bit thought provoking.

I Just finished 'One Second After' which is in the same vein as 'Alas Babylon' or 'On The Beach'. This book deals with just an EMP. First book I've read that made tears well up in my eyes on pages 239 & 240.

World War Z was entertaining and a good compliment to the Zombie Survival Guide.

Of course there are the Clancy Books, but keep in mind that you can tell he is exhausted by the time you get to 'The Bear and The Dragon' and that his books are meant as entertainment.

I'll second 'Starship Troopers' as well. If you are into Sci-fi then just about any thing that Heinlein wrote will probably entertain you.

I'll also second 'Brave New World' 'Atlas Shrugged' 'The Fountain Head' and 'The Stand'.

austinN4
04-19-09, 11:50
I Just finished 'One Second After' which is in the same vein as 'Alas Babylon' or 'On The Beach'. This book deals with just an EMP.
+1 to One Second After - a real eye opener!

Joe_Friday
04-19-09, 12:26
+1 to One Second Later - a real eye opener!

I will have to check it out. If it is anything like Alas Babylon or On The Beach, it has to be good. I have read On The Beach x2 and am about half way through Alas Babylon for about the fourth time. I first read it several years ago and pick it back up again every couple of years. Just finished Generation Kill and White Feather a few weeks ago so it is about time to pick up a new book.

austinN4
04-19-09, 13:39
I will have to check it out. If it is anything like Alas Babylon or On The Beach, it has to be good.
One Second After - from Booklist:
"In a Norman Rockwell town in North Carolina, where residents rarely lock homes, retired army colonel John Matherson teaches college, raises two daughters, and grieves the loss of his wife to cancer. When phones die and cars inexplicably stall, Grandma’s pre-computerized Edsel takes readers to a stunning scene on the car-littered interstate, on which 500 stranded strangers, some with guns, awaken John’s New Jersey street-smart instincts to get the family home and load the shotgun. Next morning, some townspeople realize that an electromagnetic pulse weapon has destroyed America’s power grid, and they proceed to set survival priorities. John’s list includes insulin for his type-one diabetic 12-year-old, candy bars, and sacks of ice. Deaths start with heart attacks and eventually escalate alarmingly. Food becomes scarce, and societal breakdown proceeds with inevitable violence; towns burn, and ex-servicemen recall “Korea in ’51” as military action by unlikely people becomes the norm in Forstchen’s sad, riveting cautionary tale, the premise of which Newt Gingrich’s foreword says is completely possible." --Whitney Scott

randyman_ar
04-19-09, 21:56
"The Long Walk" by Slavomir Rawicz.
About a group of WWII prisoners escape from a Soviet prison camp in Siberia and their walk to freedom. The only book I have ever picked up that I could not put down until I finished it.

jtb0311
04-19-09, 23:39
I'm currently enjoying The Yom Kippur War by Abraham Rabinovich.

Jerm
05-17-09, 19:17
I recently picked up On Combat,havent quite finished it.

I'm not impressed thus far.

While there's some good info which relates to the actual title(and subtitle) of the book...

There's also alot of filler and questionable information."The 5.56 was designed to wound...take 3 out of action..."?I was under the impression this was a falsehood?Unless i misunderstood he writes something similar about the 9mm as well.Which is really confusing...your last ditch(sidearm) to wound?

I could have done without a large portion of the book being a tirade against media violence(mostly video games).While it may be a worthy subject for debate/discussion.I thought most of it was out of context and more of a personal "cause" than anything.I thought i had gotten past it early in the book.Apparently not...It comes back in even more depth near the end.

I have other issues with the book as well but i'll leave it at that.

I had planned on picking up On Killing as well...

Maybe it's my fault for having the wrong expectations going in.