PDA

View Full Version : New 1911 owner have some ?

codman
02-01-09, 08:31
Ok well im awaiting my town approval on my pistol permit and already have a
Auto Ordnance 1911 payed off on hold for me at a shop. Ive read the reviews on them and i know there not top of the line but its my first and i want a classic 1911 look to go along with my ww2 firearms, and the reviews ive read were suprisingly good on it for a plain jane. My question was what mags are good for using JHP ive heard the stock AO mags are only good for FMJ and they stovepipe with JHP. Im thinking buying some Wilson Combat mags , or chip mcormick, what are your guys thoughts who have experience with other mags.

I plan on FMJ for range, plinking use and JHP for defense. Also i want to get a holster something for the range for getting into IDPA matches . So something in a quick draw type config. I was Looking at some models for Law Enforcement and they look somewhat , like what im looking for. Also any L.E.O on here please let me know what your experience with those hard plastic holsters are like. Im gonna chat with my uncle as he shoots the IDPA matches.

Thanks again ,

Dan

Battlepack
02-01-09, 09:00
CMC PowerMags or Wilson mags usually work well for 8-rounders. Don't balk at the magazine prices - mucho frustration can be had in 1911 land with balky magazines. These magazines will have basepads that extend past the bottom of the frame - I'm not sure if this is a consideration if you are looking for a "WWII type look". If so, OEM Colt or Metalform 7-rounders should be good to go.

As for holsters, an open type Kydex holster is fine. However, I'm a leather type guy so I really can't make any recomendations.:D

murphy j
02-01-09, 09:51
CobraMag is without a doubt the #1 trouble free magazine for a basic 1911. Their design fixes like %99 of the ammo/mag/feeding issues. I believe Wilsons newest mag is a copy of them. They're expensive, but worth it. Yes, I've used one and it was on a CD 'Champion' size 1911. That gun was so out of whack it was the only way to get reliable feeding with ALL different types of ammo.

I would also, when I feasibly could, find a GOOD 1911 mechanic/smith that can do a GOOD basic reliability package on it. I.E. check barrel fit/barrel lock up, bushing fit and trigger job.

As far as holsters go, I tend to go with leather. A Galco is what I'm using right now. Kydex wise, I've heard good things about Bladetech hosters.

I hope some of this helps.

codman
02-01-09, 11:02
im liking those Blade Techs, I like the idpa combo pack. Another question is what kind of belt is everyone wearing i looked and couldnt find any on the bladetech site.

Business_Casual
02-01-09, 11:04
My experience has been that each gun, when dealing with this level of 1911, has an individual perfomance. Asking which magazine or which round in the abstract is fine, but what matters is which one actually works in your gun. I have a Wilson that runs GI contract magazines all day; does that mean they are the best for every 1911 or your 1911? No.

You have to do the work yourself, unfortunately there are no shortcuts with the 1911.

M_P

Dozer
02-01-09, 17:17
CobraMag is without a doubt the #1 trouble free magazine for a basic 1911. Their design fixes like %99 of the ammo/mag/feeding issues.

Is this actual statistical data or just here say? Not trying to derail the topic but it just seems off.

dojpros
02-01-09, 22:47
I will go a step farther and say that 1911s even at substantially higher price points can be very particular to ammo/mgazine combinations. Typically, magzines from Wilson, Chip McCormick and Tripp can help out a gun in need. IMHO, the Chip McCormick power mag is the absolute intersection of quality and value.

murphy j
02-01-09, 23:07
Is this actual statistical data or just here say? Not trying to derail the topic but it just seems off.

I can't say with %100 certainty that '%99 of your problems can be fixed' is the exact statistical data, but I have used this mag and seen it work when nothing else would. I had a CD 1911 that was bad out of spec in certain areas of the frame and was having all kinds of stupid feeding problems with all kinds of mags and ammo. I took it to my gunsmith, who happened to have been trained by Armand Swenson. He went through this gun left and right and still couldn't get it to function reliably, Until we tried the Cobramag. Worked like a charm consistently with it. I believe in them and will recommend them due to my personal experience. I've run other mags in my other 1911 and had no problems, but this one gun was a bastard and the Cobramag was the only mag that worked %100 of the time. I've yet to see anybody that's using them have any problems with them. The only downside is they're Expensive.

Jason Burton
02-01-09, 23:13
I use and recommend Wilson 47/47d and McCormick Power Mags but there are certainly others out there that will work and work well. As has been mentioned, what matters most is what works in your gun.

One thing to keep in mind however is that not all magazines or ammo are created equal and even under ideal circumstances a magazine may not fix a problem with a gun. The geometry inside the gun still has to be correct for reliable feeding so while a quality magazine is certainly a key component to a reliable gun they are often not the sole catalyst for reliability. A quality magazine will help increase the likelihood of a reliable gun but, especially with regards to feeding JHPs, proper feedramp/barrel throat dimensions (along with others) will play a large role.

Bob
02-01-09, 23:17
Would there be any reason to go with 47s or 47Ds over ETMs, if you are buying new mags today? (Other than that a particular pistol doesn't 'like' one type mag or another, of course.)

maximus83
02-02-09, 01:05
+1 for the McCormick Power Mags: I run them exclusively in my 1911's these days. Believe it or not, I track my FTF's by magazine, and I've yet to ever have a SINGLE failure of any kind--in over 5K total rounds fired--with a CMC magazine (I used 4 total CMC mags for those 5K rounds). They also have some new "Power Mag +" mags that are a bit more expensive, and allegedly have been improved even more, but you'd have to call CMC Tactical to find out exactly HOW the "plus" mags were improved.

Ridgerunner665
02-02-09, 02:06
Its true that 1911's are picky with mags...

I have had the best luck with Tripp Gen II CobraMags...the new generation Tripp mags are better than Wilson 47's.

tex45acp
02-02-09, 08:19
I use the Wilson 47D exclusively without any problems. I have had other folks that have been having problems with feeding in their 1911's use my mags and unless there was something mechanically wrong with their gun, using the 47D's eliminated those feeding problems. I recommend them highly.

I have yet to try the new ETM mags but I have heard nothing but good things about them.

tex45acp

JonInWA
02-02-09, 09:25
I'd recommend one of Check-Mate's hybrid feed lip magazines, and I'll second the recommendation for Blade-Tech's holsters; I personally tend to prefer their IWB models, but I also have one of the OWB IDPA Combo Packs that a friend gave me, and it's also excellent (although I ended up super-glueing the shims that position the belt along the holster and magazine pouch in place-otherwise, they tend to wander).

Best, Jon

Joe R.
02-02-09, 10:24
I would stay away from Blade Tec right now as they have displayed some QC issues recently. There have been cases of holsters failing and the last 1911 holster I received from them was molded to have the thumb safety in the fire position. A little time with a heat gun fixed that problem but it's something that should not have left the factory.

There are several other makers of kydex holsters out there who are supplying a good product. Raven Concealment and Comp-Tac come immediately to mind.

Hersh
02-02-09, 18:16
If you want to keep a more classic line, 7-rounders w/ a metal base plate is the way to go. All of my 7-round mags are "Colts" , actually manufactured by Checkmate, that have the flat, metal follower.

kingc
02-02-09, 18:17
What is retail on the Auto-Ordnance now? Let us know real soon how you like it.:)

codman
02-03-09, 05:51
What is retail on the Auto-Ordnance now? Let us know real soon how you like it.:)

It was 500.00 cash i put 100 down and then 200last week, doing payments is helping out instead of all at once. It looks well built and just has that awesome 1911 classic apperance/ feel to me. He had a used one but was 400 and scratched up.Im the kinda guy that loves new and when it comes with a case lol. I think my uncle is gonna crap his pants next time i come to the range with that, and the ar15 haha. I excited and just waiting on the town this is the 8th week and just of matter of what day i get the call!

Bigun
02-03-09, 16:56
I bought my Dad a AO WW2 model and he has been extremely pleased with it, It feeds FMJ and HP ammo equally well and is as accurate as any issue 1911 I have ever used.

ROCKET20_GINSU
02-03-09, 21:00
Wilson 47D's work well in my Springfield "Loaded" 1911. The factory metalform mags work fine also. My 1911 has not been completely 100% (I'm a glock guy) but its been pretty reliable, I'd put it at 97-98% Don't have experience with the Tripp mags or new wilson EMT's "YET" but I'm sure those will work well also. When I buy new mags those two will definatley be on the list...I don't think you'll be dissapointed w/ wilsons or tripps.

For Holsters I have 2. For IWB, Milt Sparks Summer Special II, I love this holster! its very comfortable and flat. Its more comfortable than my G19 in VMII IMO. It prints very little even under a t shirt. Angle is right and the draw is reasonably quick, but not as fast as my broken in VMII or CTAC (kydex).

For OWB / USPSA: Safariland 568, custom fit paddle holster. I know many say that kydex does not wear the finish of a pistol any more than leather...but my personal experience differs, and while I love kydex w/ my glocks, for my 1911...all leather :D It just seems like the right thing to do :p This holster is fast and comfortable, but not as secure (or concealable) as the SSII.

Have fun and stay safe

GU

gunner757
02-03-09, 21:42
I have been running wilson 8 round mags for a few years now, and i swear by them. As for a good quick holster take a look at the serpa holsters by blackhawk or the safariland ALS holster. It gives you the right amount of speed to retention ratio. Just my opinion.

codman
02-05-09, 20:42
finally got the call and am going tomorrow morning to get my pistol permit. Gonna get the 1911 this weekend im so excited about it haha. I was looking at the serpa holsters tonight at cabelas it looks like a well built holster there price was 47.99 for the carbon fiber one. I picked up some corbon 230gr JHP 45auto +p to try also!