PDA

View Full Version : How to replace Glock sights?

jhs1969
02-01-09, 18:56
Specifically the front sight, how do I remove the wedge from the fixed plastic front?
I may go ahead and purchase the tools for this, will use it on a up and coming G19 as well as my current G17.
I don't know of anyone in the area who will replace them without turning it in on a work order with a week or longer wait. I've seen some replace the sights before without any sight tools and I don't want to subject my Glocks to this treatment.

With the proper tools I don't think it would be a problems if I can get the wedge out.

IrishDevil
02-01-09, 19:05
It just takes a small punch to knock the front sight out from the bottom side. Any aftermarket front sights will install using a small nutdriver. As far as the rear goes, the factory polymer will usually push right out using the corner of a table/workbench. I've installed rears using a polymer punch and mallet. A proper sight pusher is easier though.

RSS1911
02-01-09, 19:42
You mean yours hasn't fallen out by itself yet?

Those things aren't really sights ... they're just plastic spacers the factory uses to protect the front slot and rear dovetail until you decide on a real set of sights.

I have removed the front with a pair of needle-nosed pliers, and I use a MGW (?) sight pusher for the rear.

John_Wayne777
02-01-09, 19:56
Specifically the front sight, how do I remove the wedge from the fixed plastic front?
I may go ahead and purchase the tools for this, will use it on a up and coming G19 as well as my current G17.
I don't know of anyone in the area who will replace them without turning it in on a work order with a week or longer wait. I've seen some replace the sights before without any sight tools and I don't want to subject my Glocks to this treatment.

With the proper tools I don't think it would be a problems if I can get the wedge out.

Disassemble the weapon. Flip the side upside down. Put a punch that is small enough to fit through the hole for the front sight on the bottom of the sight. Give it a firm smack with a hammer.

The sight will pop right out.

mark5pt56
02-01-09, 21:25
To save it for a rainy day, remove the front sight fixing pin with a pair of needle nosed pliers, then you can push out the front sight with minimal pressure.

thopkins22
02-01-09, 21:48
To save it for a rainy day, remove the front sight fixing pin with a pair of needle nosed pliers, then you can push out the front sight with minimal pressure.

I tried and failed to do that on both of my Glocks. I wound up ripping them off with a pair of pliers. They came off disturbingly easy with pliers.

baffle Stack
02-01-09, 22:07
I too yanked mine off with pliers. Those things are such junk.

tpd223
02-02-09, 02:31
You can push from the side with a non marring tool, such as a screwdriver handle, it will pop right off.

mark5pt56
02-02-09, 13:22
I tried and failed to do that on both of my Glocks. I wound up ripping them off with a pair of pliers. They came off disturbingly easy with pliers.

To make it easier to remove, the front sight has the bushing part that protrudes through the slide. That is split and the fixing pin when inserted causes that to flare out and hold in place. If you squeeze the split bushing, it will push out.

markm
02-02-09, 13:34
I wish they'd go to dove tail cuts for the front sight. I have having my life dependent on a very little and fragile brass screw.