PDA

View Full Version : Rock River barrel vs. Sabre Defence

olkev
02-01-09, 21:41
How does a Rock River/Wilson chrome moly barrel, chrome lined, 1x7, M4 profile (http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=273) compare to a Sabre Defence (http://www.sabredefence.com/commercial.php?focus=barrel) barrel in the same configuration? Is a chrome vanadium barrel blank that superior to chrome moly, especially since they are both chrome lined? The Sabre is about $170 more and I'm trying to figure out why.

THANKS IN ADVANCE

mmike87
02-02-09, 08:27
For some people, yes. Sabre uses a better quality steel than RRA, and that steel costs more. The CMV steel is designed to hold up under high temperatures better, making it more suitable for sustained fire.

If you want the same steel that "real" military rifles would use, get the Sabre barrel. For most casual shooters the RRA barrel is probably "good enough" - it depends on your intended usage.

I don't shoot nearly as many rounds as I would like, but I shoot as much as I can. My last two barrels were Sabre barrels, not because I "need" the better steel, but because I want and appreciate the superior materials going into the gun.

Others can provide a detailed analysis of the differences between 4140CM and 4150CMV - and there are already several threads here on this subject.

GaryXD
02-02-09, 09:00
RRA uses 4140 barrel steel. SDI uses 4150CMV mil-spec 11595E steel. I have three Sabre barrels and no RRA barrels. Buy what makes you happy.

Boss Hogg
02-02-09, 09:10
Sabre's 16" midlength fluted barrel is a great one, but good luck finding one.

SingleStacker45
02-02-09, 09:39
I was sceptical about Sabre's price but I ordered one from bravo company due to availability. I could not be more pleased with the quality. Off of a rest I managed to shoot a .75 group at 100 yards with my hadloads. I cannot speak to durability as I have only had it for a month but so far it's awesome.

Mule

mmike87
02-02-09, 09:46
Keep in mind too that Sabre stuff tends to command a bit of a price premium even above some of the other CMV barrels. But I'm happy with what I paid for my two and would buy another if need be.

C4IGrant
02-02-09, 17:47
SD barrel wins hands down.

C4

glazer1972
02-04-09, 10:29
Sabre would get the nod. No question.