PDA

View Full Version : Colt contract award

Slater
02-03-09, 16:28
From yesterday's Defenselink:

Colt Defense LLC, Hartford, Conn., was awarded on Jan. 27, 2009, a $9,494,376 firm fixed price 5-year Requirements contract for Barrel & Front Assembly 18,000 each; Hand Guard 13,600 each; Heavy Barrel Assembly 7,100 each; Receiver, Cartridge 22,000 each; Extractor Spring Assembly 200,000 each. Work is to be performed at Hartford, Conn., with an estimated completion date of Sept. 28, 2012. Tank and Automotive Command Rock Island, Rock Island, Ill., is the contracting activity (DAAE20-03-D-0191).

If memory serves, Colt loses their exclusive M4 contract rights this year. Even if they lose the next big M4 award (assuming there is one), it seems that they will continue to cash in on spare parts and major assemblies for a while yet.

Can any qualified vendor supply M4 spares, or did/does Colt hold a monopoly on that as well?

warpigM-4
02-03-09, 16:39
I think FN has a contract with the Military on M4's .I would not say Colt has a monopoly on it, they just have the means to put out the numbers required .But i would Imagine any of the vendors could be awarded a contract if they meet all the Military needs .

F.C.III
02-03-09, 18:38
To my knowledge Colt was the sole contractor for the m4 and F.N. had a contract on the A4's. If I recall Sabre Defense now to has an A4 contract as well.:cool:

Jay Cunningham
02-03-09, 18:39
I think FN has a contract with the Military on M4's .I would not say Colt has a monopoly on it, they just have the means to put out the numbers required .But i would Imagine any of the vendors could be awarded a contract if they meet all the Military needs .

In order to maintain a site that is an effective database of good information, it is best to post information that you have first hand knowledge of. If you are repeating information that you have been told or have read from another poster, it is best to disclose that in the opening of the post.

BAC
02-03-09, 18:45
Heavy barrel assemblies? I didn't know any of the issued rifles had heavy barrels. :confused:

-B

mvician
02-03-09, 19:11
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/mvician/100_3217.jpg

SMGLee
02-03-09, 19:33
Army actually buy the HB M4 uppers in large qty.... and a good number of those uppers get send to SOCOM free of charge and they also get distributed across the groups.

The upper usually consist of the standard M4 upper with heavy M4 barrel, F front sight...KAC RAS, Matech BUIS, side sling swivel.

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/clt2/huge/DSCN0566.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/clt2/huge/DSCN0563.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/clt2/huge/DSCN0562.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/clt2/huge/DSCN0579.jpg
Notice the clip that holds the RAQS retension screw in place...

all parts are in the so call SOCOM black...

And Hopefully Colt will retain the tradition and continue to supply the US military on the next go around of combat rifle selection that is under way now.

warpigM-4
02-03-09, 20:42
In order to maintain a site that is an effective database of good information, it is best to post information that you have first hand knowledge of. If you are repeating information that you have been told or have read from another poster, it is best to disclose that in the opening of the post.
My Bad .this was info I had read here on another thread about the Colt having the sole contract.it has been awhile back .I believe it was when i stated seeing Bushmasters at fort Knox during training in the computer sims set up and Iraqgunz corrected me on who had the contracts .sorry if I was misleading I Meant FN has a contract on the M16 not the M4

Frens
02-04-09, 01:33
Notice the clip that holds the RAQS retension screw in place...

also the front "flat spring" is diferent....why?

thanks

Iraqgunz
02-04-09, 01:45
When I was at the FN factory just over 2 years ago we were told that FN produces the M16A2 and variants. Colt produces the M4/ M4A1.

Iraqgunz
02-04-09, 01:46
Which qualified vendors would you like to make those parts? Bushmaster, Oly Arms, DPMS, Model 1, .......:confused:

From yesterday's Defenselink:

Colt Defense LLC, Hartford, Conn., was awarded on Jan. 27, 2009, a $9,494,376 firm fixed price 5-year Requirements contract for Barrel & Front Assembly 18,000 each; Hand Guard 13,600 each; Heavy Barrel Assembly 7,100 each; Receiver, Cartridge 22,000 each; Extractor Spring Assembly 200,000 each. Work is to be performed at Hartford, Conn., with an estimated completion date of Sept. 28, 2012. Tank and Automotive Command Rock Island, Rock Island, Ill., is the contracting activity (DAAE20-03-D-0191).

If memory serves, Colt loses their exclusive M4 contract rights this year. Even if they lose the next big M4 award (assuming there is one), it seems that they will continue to cash in on spare parts and major assemblies for a while yet.

Can any qualified vendor supply M4 spares, or did/does Colt hold a monopoly on that as well?

Slater
02-04-09, 06:41
I think you missed the point of the question. Does Colt have an exclusive deal to supply M4 spare parts or can any qualified company (presumably FN, Sabre Defense, etc.) bid on those spares?

RogerinTPA
02-04-09, 08:01
Interesting that SOCOM is ordering heavy barrels. Is the Gov't profile barrels subject to catastrophic failure (bursting) near or at the end of it's service life?

markm
02-04-09, 08:21
Which qualified vendors would you like to make those parts? Bushmaster, Oly Arms, DPMS, Model 1, .......:confused:

I read that Model 1 is just as good here yesterday. Everyone is using the same parts anyway! :p

Sttrongbow
02-04-09, 08:53

How about LMT or BCM?

Still, just in capacity, I don;t see how Colt loses a spare parts contract unless their prices are just WAY out of control.

Sttrongbow
02-04-09, 08:56
Interesting that SOCOM is ordering heavy barrels. Is the Gov't profile barrels subject to catastrophic failure (bursting) near or at the end of it's service life?

I would think SOCOM would replace barrels long before they became a potential risk. Since SOCOM operators tend to be marksman heavy, my guess is it's just a desire for more accuracy, especially in Afghanistan where the ranges are getting longer. I'm still waiting for the news story demanding a return to the M16A4 in Afghanistan!

AMMOTECH
02-04-09, 09:09
When I was at the FN factory just over 2 years ago we were told that FN produces the M16A2 and variants. Colt produces the M4/ M4A1.

I don't work the -16 line so it's only my understanding from what I've seen/asked about that we build the A4's (most of which have the KAC rails and are being shipped to the USMC) and if and when needed can produce A2's. The last I heard FN was in the running for the M4 contract*. (*that was back before Christmas).

Sttrongbow
02-04-09, 10:50
Hey... if Colt LOSES the contract, then maybe Colts would be plentiful... and CHEAP!

scottryan
02-04-09, 12:31

Colt produces all M16 and M4 variants.

Iraqgunz
02-04-09, 13:05
Scotty,

I was referring to weapons for the military. When I was at FN I saw the M16A4's for the military being produced. When I asked about the A2's I was told yes as well, but in smaller quantities. My guy at Colt told me almost everything being produced for the military is the M4/M4A1.

Colt produces all M16 and M4 variants.

scottryan
02-04-09, 14:22
Scotty,

I was referring to weapons for the military. When I was at FN I saw the M16A4's for the military being produced. When I asked about the A2's I was told yes as well, but in smaller quantities. My guy at Colt told me almost everything being produced for the military is the M4/M4A1.

I'm well aware of what you are referring to.

Colt produces more M4s than M16s.

That doesn't mean they don't produce M16s. FN is not the only supplier of M16s.

It is a common misconception that FN got the contract away from Colt. This is not true. FN was awarded an additional contract. Colt never stopped making M16s.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/20413Colt_M16A4_2219_small.jpg

BAC
02-04-09, 15:06
mvician, SMGLee, I appreciate the pictures but I'm not educated enough on barrel profiles to know what I'm seeing. My understanding was that heavy barrels were consistent thickness all the way down with a notch for the 204. Those look like a different profile. :confused:

-B

Saginaw79
02-04-09, 18:04
That is the so called SOCOM barrel, it was for better handling the heat from lots of rounds going down range such as breaking contact etc; as I recall

I think Colt needs to be let loose of .mil contracts, so other companies, and better products than the M4 can be brought in.

Until that happens, Colts hands are in the Militaries Pockets due to senior level ties of people in the .mil and Colt and thats to the dtriment of our military IMO

Sttrongbow
02-04-09, 19:25
That is the so called SOCOM barrel, it was for better handling the heat from lots of rounds going down range such as breaking contact etc; as I recall

I think Colt needs to be let loose of .mil contracts, so other companies, and better products than the M4 can be brought in.

Until that happens, Colts hands are in the Militaries Pockets due to senior level ties of people in the .mil and Colt and thats to the dtriment of our military IMO

Is there really anything so much better than the M4 as to justify replacing it wholesale? I dunno.. The SCAR is good an all, but is it really THAT much better... is it even better enough to justify the extra cost? And you KNOW it'll have teething problems if deployed en masse.

And if we just want a piston, then is the HK416 the only choice? Frankly it's WAY overpriced for what it is.

M4/M16 has suffered from rumor, urban legends and bogus rules of thumb more than anything else.