PDA

View Full Version : S&W M&P 9mm holster recommendations? (tactical)

chadbag
02-04-09, 03:05
Looking for a tactical type holster (drop leg that will ride high for example) for a full size S&W M&P 9mm. Any recommendations? Prefer something not in black but whatever there is would be ok. This is for when I have the full load on and am obviously dressed for success and not in concealment mode. (And for training classes for same -- carbine transitions etc -- if I am toting the carbine I am no concealed)

Thanks
Chad

rpm28
02-04-09, 07:28
I'm waiting for a Blackhawk CQC level2 serpa and the drop-leg platform to be shipped (it's been 3 weeks since order). I like their products. The drop-leg has a "Y" top tie and double leg straps....very secure.

ToddG
02-04-09, 09:13
Safariland, hands down.

If you aren't concerned about weapons retention (gun grabs), an ALS is literally as fast as an open top holster with the benefit of a locking mechanism to keep the gun in place while you do cartwheels.

If weapons retention is a concern, the SLS system is proven and almost as fast.

PlatoCATM
02-04-09, 09:21
My team bought the ALS (with personal funds) before our rotation. Since then, my unit has moved to the exclusive use of the ALS and has started issuing them. They are excellent holsters, and durable. Now that I have an issued one however, I do not need mine--too bad you don't need a beretta holster.

Buck50
02-04-09, 09:25
I got a Safariland 6004 for my S&W M&P 9mm. Love it!

FirstSpear
02-04-09, 10:00
I'm also running a Safariland with ALS on a fullsize M&P. Love it.

Joe R.
02-04-09, 10:00
Someone might have mentioned it but Safariland is the only way to go. You can't go wrong with either the ALS or the SLS hood.

Magsz
02-04-09, 11:31
6004 w/ a shroud mod to raise the holster up to the upper portion of the thigh.

30 cal slut
02-04-09, 12:14
6004 w/ a shroud mod to raise the holster up to the upper portion of the thigh.

looking for such mod. is this a DIY sewing thing, or is there a part that replaces the quick-release snap? just looping the velcro strap over a duty belt is not very secure.

chadbag
02-04-09, 12:22
Thanks for all. That is what I had been looking at actually but was not sure on the details of the Safariland stuff. (Appears to only be in black for M&P 9 without light -- maybe I will have to put a light on the gun, which I had thought about anyway)

30 Cal Slut's questions are also my own (now).

Thanks
Chad

ToddG
02-04-09, 12:25
The Safariland ALS holster I have works equally well (proper retention) with and without the light attached. It's a great feature, as I only need one holster instead of dedicated rigs for light/no-light.

R Moran
02-04-09, 12:36
looking for such mod. is this a DIY sewing thing, or is there a part that replaces the quick-release snap? just looping the velcro strap over a duty belt is not very secure.

I believe what he's talking about is, the higher cut shroud, allowing the user to place the holster higher on the leg, w/o the upper portion of the shroud cutting into your "private place".

Safariland now makes a shroud like that.

Not sure what quick release snap your referring to, the 6005 with the side release buckle? That rides to low, and I've never bothered with it. Looping the hanger strap around the belt is about the only way to go. Using the provided keeper/wrap helps keep it in place along with the Velcro. Adding various mixtures of cable ties and 100mph tape also help.

Bob

Magsz
02-04-09, 12:41
This product here will give you an idea of what you will have to mod on the existing shroud in order to let it ride like this.

http://www.safariland.com/product.aspx?pid=6004-10

If you search safariland 6004 on these boards there is a pretty extensive writeup by kevinB and Militarymoron.

30 cal slut
02-04-09, 15:56
This product here will give you an idea of what you will have to mod on the existing shroud in order to let it ride like this.

http://www.safariland.com/product.aspx?pid=6004-10

If you search safariland 6004 on these boards there is a pretty extensive writeup by kevinB and Militarymoron.

thanks. i have a 6005 that rides way to low, haven't figured out a way to get up a little higher (reliably).

NCPatrolAR
02-04-09, 21:34
I'm currently trying a Safariland 6377 mounted to one of the Eagle 6004 leg shrouds. I've used a 6377 inone of the HSGI leg rigs for a few years with great success.

30 cal slut
02-05-09, 08:12
I'm currently trying a Safariland 6377 mounted to one of the Eagle 6004 leg shrouds. I've used a 6377 inone of the HSGI leg rigs for a few years with great success.

thanks! that eagle 6004 mount is just what i was looking for.

BIGUGLY
02-05-09, 11:12
Safariland is hard to beat especially the ALS. The Serpa also works well, if you can get your hands on both try each one and see what you like best.

chadbag
02-05-09, 11:50
It looks like the actual part I want is the 6354 (6004 with only ALS). Trying to see if you can get it alone without the shroud so you can buy the shroud separately. Otherwise I guess just buy, remove, replace.

LonghunterCO
02-05-09, 19:38
Anyone using the M&P in a Safariland with a light attached?

R Moran
02-05-09, 20:15

Yes

Bob

BobM
02-05-09, 20:27

Yes, I use an ALS with an M&P40/TLR. I'm pretty happy with it. We've also got the SLS style in use also.

ToddG
02-05-09, 20:47
The only retention holster I have for my M&P is a Safariland ALS. It needed to be modified a bit to fit with Lasergrips.

http://9x19mm.com/photoalbum/albums/userpics/Safariland-6320-mp-M3.jpg
(I've since ditched the shroud)

DarrinD
02-06-09, 16:41
I also use a Safariland for open/tactical carry with the SLS hood. IMHO, nothing is even close . . . and like many commenting on this issue, I have spent a lot on a lot of holsters that just sit in my closet (except the above mentioned Safariland, and for CC my Sparks VMII

DANGER CLOSE
02-07-09, 04:59
question for the als owners. is there a difference in security / draw / retention between light or no light. i am interested in getting one of these and was just wondering. thanks for the help.

ToddG
02-07-09, 09:35

The Safariland ALS holster I have works equally well (proper retention) with and without the light attached. It's a great feature, as I only need one holster instead of dedicated rigs for light/no-light.

30 cal slut
02-10-09, 11:27

yes...

LonghunterCO
02-10-09, 11:52
yes...

I appreciate everyone weighting in on my question. I have a M&P 9 and like the OP I too am looking for a holster but would like one that allows for carrying the M&P with a light attached. So if you all could expand a bit more it would really help me in picking one out.

" I am using a M&P 9 with a XXXX light in a XXX holster by XXXXX, it works/sucks for me."

R Moran
02-11-09, 03:57
M&P 40 with SureFire X200/Insight SSL in a 6004-219-21 with an Eagle 6004 platform/shroud.
Works like every other 6004 I have used for the last 10 years.

Bob

chadbag
02-16-09, 12:33
Ok, question for you Safariland users:

Actually, 2 questions:

I want to get the 6004 style with ALS only and no SLS hood. For the S&W MP 9. I am having a hard time finding this in stock. I want to use the Eagle 6004 shroud setup.

1) I assume and want confirmation or rebuttal that I can buy a belt holster or whatever is cheapest and just take the holster off the belt clip/loop/whatever and attach it to the Eagle? All the 6xxx Safariland holsters use the same attachment? I could buy a 6320 or something that is stocked and just take it off the belt loop part and attach it to the Eagle shroud...

2) How easy is it to take the SLS hood off of an ALS holster leaving only the normal ALS holster?

Thanks
Chad

PlatoCATM
02-16-09, 13:49
1) I assume and want confirmation or rebuttal that I can buy a belt holster or whatever is cheapest and just take the holster off the belt clip/loop/whatever and attach it to the Eagle? All the 6xxx Safariland holsters use the same attachment? I could buy a 6320 or something that is stocked and just take it off the belt loop part and attach it to the Eagle shroud...

Thanks
Chad[/QUOTE]

This is my question as well. I was hoping to attach a 6820 to the 6004 shroud I already have.

R Moran
02-16-09, 16:21
If it has the "T" bolt pattern I'm pretty sure you can. I have the AlS only on order, and will let you know if it ever comes in. Or if I get to teh shop that has them, I'll check them out.

Bob

HeadHunter
02-16-09, 23:03
For those of you who like to have the weapon higher on the leg, Safariland now makes a one strap shroud (http://www.safariland.com/product.aspx?pid=6004-14). It doesn't have the MOLLE straps like the Eagle but it's definitely higher up than the two strap shroud. It was designed to work like the modified shroud that a lot of people were using. The one strap is what I am using now at the Rogers School and I like it quite a bit.

John Hearne
02-20-09, 21:29
I have been using an ALS only duty rig since December and think it is the best option out there in terms of balancing speed of access and security. My concern is the cant that Safariland puts on the holster. I really prefer a straight drop and don't know why the ALS products are canted (albeit slightly). Any ideas?

NCPatrolAR
02-20-09, 23:03
I have been using an ALS only duty rig since December and think it is the best option out there in terms of balancing speed of access and security. My concern is the cant that Safariland puts on the holster. I really prefer a straight drop and don't know why the ALS products are canted (albeit slightly). Any ideas?

I spoke with a Safariland rep about this last year since I also hate the forward cant found on the duty holsters. I was told the cant was added as a "safety feature". It was supposed to help limit the chance of an officer putting a round into his/her thigh should a ND occur during reholstering. How much truth is there in that? I have no clue.

NCPatrolAR
02-20-09, 23:07

Thanks
Chad

This is my question as well. I was hoping to attach a 6820 to the 6004 shroud I already have.[/QUOTE]

IIRC Safariland standardized on the 3 bolt pattern last year and all of their current holsters are built using this pattern. I've taken 6377s and put them on 6004 shrouds and taken holster bodies off a 6004 and put them on UBLs turning them into 6280s. The only problem you may run into is making sure the length of the screws for the holsters are correct.

HeadHunter
02-21-09, 09:02
I spoke with a Safariland rep about this last year since I also hate the forward cant found on the duty holsters. I was told the cant was added as a "safety feature". It was supposed to help limit the chance of an officer putting a round into his/her thigh should a ND occur during reholstering. How much truth is there in that? I have no clue.

Safariland is sued on a regular basis by officers who shoot themselves while reholstering with their fingers on the trigger. Consequently, Bill designs their holsters to minimize this possibility as much as possible; he personally told me that. At least one officer managed to shoot himself twice (in succession) while reholstering.

chadbag
02-21-09, 11:44
OK I got a reply from Safariland CS that I can take the holster of the concealed version (6378 or some such) and stick it on a leg shroud. So I have an Eagle shroud coming and a ($47.xx free shipping 6378 ALS only) coming. Will see if I can make it work...

chadbag
02-28-09, 03:28
OK this is what I did (pics will come eventually)

I bought the 6378 for the M&P (non light version). This was under $50 delivered and is the ALS only version in a paddle holster variant.

I bought the Eagle 6004 shroud.

I took the holster off the paddle part (3 screws and your done) and screwed it on to the Eagle leg shroud. (which was just over $40 delivered). So for about $90 delivered I have a high riding leg rig for the M&P. Added some Tactical Tailor mag pouches to the PALS loops and will be practicing drawing from the ALS system (so far pretty easy with an empty gun in my basement -- have not tried it live yet).

M_Rapp
09-27-11, 18:02
OK this is what I did (pics will come eventually)

I bought the 6378 for the M&P (non light version). This was under $50 delivered and is the ALS only version in a paddle holster variant.

I bought the Eagle 6004 shroud.

I took the holster off the paddle part (3 screws and your done) and screwed it on to the Eagle leg shroud. (which was just over $40 delivered). So for about $90 delivered I have a high riding leg rig for the M&P. Added some Tactical Tailor mag pouches to the PALS loops and will be practicing drawing from the ALS system (so far pretty easy with an empty gun in my basement -- have not tried it live yet).

Questions on Sariland Specific to the M&P Line.

Do the holsters fit different between FS and the L (or 5") barrels?

Also looking for the Safariland Part numbers and suggested retailers.

Looking for high riding thigh holster to fit both a 9L and a FS 40.

Thanks!

chadbag
09-27-11, 19:32
Questions on Sariland Specific to the M&P Line.

Do the holsters fit different between FS and the L (or 5") barrels?

Also looking for the Safariland Part numbers and suggested retailers.

Looking for high riding thigh holster to fit both a 9L and a FS 40.

Thanks!

The Eagle leg shroud for the Safariland holsters provide a high thigh ride (with only one strap wrapping around the leg due to the higher ride compared to traditional thigh holsters -- on me it is only a couple inches lower than a belt holster IIRC -- I will have to test and see how much lower it is).

AFAIK the 5" should fit in any of the holsters the FS fit in as the Safariland is an open bottom holster. One of mine is made for the compact model but also fits the FS fine for example. You just have a little more of your slide exposed.

M_Rapp
09-27-11, 23:02
Where did you pick yours up? Do you know the part numbers?

Thanks!

chadbag
09-27-11, 23:08
Where did you pick yours up? Do you know the part numbers?

Thanks!

I don't know the part numbers offhand. But I got mine at OpticsPlanet.com . It was hit or miss on if they were in stock (they don't tell you beforehand) but the ones that were not in stock showed up eventually. I was not in a rush so that did not bother me. I got them across a few purchases over about a years time (I did not buy all three up front but bought some more holsters in colors so that I had holsters on the Eagle and on a standard paddle depending on need so I did not have to swap them all the time).

I think opticsplanet does not carry the Eagle safariland leg shroud any more as the last time I looked I could not find it.

However, this is the entry for it on the Eagle website:

http://www.eagleindustries.com/product.php?productid=721&page=1

The Safariland holsters you can look up on opticsplanet depending on color, flashlight, etc. Buy the paddle one as it is usually cheapest and you are ditching the mounting system anyway if you use the eagle.

zekus480
09-27-11, 23:48
http://www.copquest.com/23-5040.htm i hope this link help, i'll be buying a single leg strap holster for an M&PFS and X300 when i get CONUS.

leokartxiv
09-28-11, 22:39
I use a serpa holster and my friend uses the ALS. I like both they both offer security and you can still access your weapon easily so either holster would be a good choice. It just comes down to personal preference I like the look of the serpa better than the ALS but that's me.

John W
10-11-11, 21:05
Appreciate all the great info everyone has posted. Few questions for you.

Looking into the Safariland ALS M&P variant with a belt mount and a DOH. Goal is to standardize my equipment so I use the same holster with a PC and without. Would like to stay away from the drop leg if possible..

I have a 4.25" and a 4.5 M&P". OpticsPlanet shows they have the 6378 in stock in a 4" variant. Is the 6378 the model I should be looking at?

1) Are these holsters open where the barrel goes (so my pistol can nose out), or, do I need to go for a 4.5/5" holster?

For those of you with mounted lights:

2) Can you run your gun with & without a light in the same holster, or, does it swim around in the holster without a light?

Trying to figure out if I should buy a holster with room for the light now, or wait and see if I end up picking one up.

Thanks in advance!

JSantoro
10-12-11, 10:20
6377 or 6378. Only difference between them is the attachments that come with them. The -77 is belt-loop only, the -78 is belt-loop and paddle.

John, you make it sound like you're trying to get one ALS for both a M&P9fs and a M&P45, just going off of barrel lengths. Is that the case? If so, that's not going to work; while the slides of the 9 and the 45mid (4"barrel) are very nearly a match in length, the .45 slide is a skosh wider. So, the 9mm won't secure in a 9mm holster and the .45 is too wide to fit in a 9mm holster. You'll need to get a holster for each gun; I tried this with my 9fs and 45mid by getting the holster for the 45, and it was a no-go. Please let me know if I'm just missing something, however.

Plus, the ejection ports differ slightly from one pistol model to another, and since that's how the ALS system secures the gun, it's of worth to check with Safariland CS or the Will-Fit lists to see if a holster is cross-compatible.

If one uses the MLS or QLS systems to mount their gun to their shroud, UBL, or similar, you not only get a touch more standoff between holster and mounting, you can eliminate the fwd cant because the mounting forks are cant-adjustable. It allows one to induce an angle that allows the shooter to secure the fork/holster in the PALS webbing of a vest at an angle that allows for that individual's draw, for example. It also allows one to swap holsters if you have more than one type/size of gun.

The three-hole pattern is standard across the board, so far as I can tell. Between mounting to different generations of UBL, the -10 single-strap shroud, standard shroud, etc., I've always found them to match. As noted, screw length would have been my primary problem...if I didn't save every single piece of hardware that comes with what I buy.

Removal of an SLS hood was a matter of removing two of their standard Allen-head hardware screws with the wrench that they supply, pulling off the hood and giving it to the dog. It went all the way bye-bye, that day.

As for whether or not a light-bearing holster will secure a lightless gun, the one for my M&P9 secures the gun without the light, but it rattles, which bothers me not in the least. Moot point, since I have QLS forks on all my holsters and just switch to match the pistol/configuration I'm using that day: 45mid, 9fs w/o light, or 9fs w/light.

If using a DG switch, be prepared to heat-gun a channel for it into your light-bearing holster. I don't know if that's across the board for all model light-bearing holsters, but I had to do that for mine. Patience, painter's tape and wood stirring sticks stolen from my local sissy-coffee shop, and all was well.

Another nifty acessory, for those that run a drop-leg shroud: http://www.optactical.com/doragedrrigb.html

John W
10-13-11, 15:42
@JSantoro, appreciate your valuable feedback. This has definitely help clarify and steer me in the right direction.

You were spot on with the differences in barrel, the 4.25 is a 9mm and the 4.5 is a .45acp. Appreciate you picking that up.

I called Safariland CS as you recommended. As you noted, the holsters are not cross compatible due to retention on the ejection port. They suggest the following;

S&W M&P Safariland ALS Holsters;

9mm - 6378-319
45ACP - 6378-519

S&W M&P Safariland ALS Holsters w/ light

9mm - 6378-2192
45ACP - 6378-5192

The lighted models will accept any of the following lights:

Streamlight TLR-1
SureFire X200
SureFire X300

When you mentioned a rattle on your 9mm holstered without a light, have you tried adjusting the retention of the holster or was it a quick switch?

The QLS idea is a good one.

Have you or anyone else used a drop adapter to sit the holster a bit lower (for PC/chest rigs)? Is there any issue with the bottom being unstrapped?

If I can I would really like to stay away from the thigh rig.

Thanks again for the information.

JSantoro
10-13-11, 16:56
Nah, I was just futzing when I put the gun in without the light. So, IF my light ever goes TU, I know that I can count on the holster to retain for as long as it takes me to get a new light mounted or swap to my w/o light 6378 for that gun.

If by "drop adapter," you mean the UBL or an analogue thereof, yeah, that's how mine is, and for the same reason. It's a good arrangement, but the lack of a leg strap means that you need to be somewhat more aware of your draw. Can't speak for other brands, but the UBL will flex on the belt if you draw at some wonky angle and the pistol will bind, so make sure you're drawing straight up...which we should all be doing anyway. :D

One thing to look for, in that case, is doing something to mitigate or eliminate having your belt ride up as you take a knee or go prone, as a leg strap usually-not-always keeps that from happening. Check the 1st-Line Belts sticky in the Tactical Gear subforum for several potential solutions, if that ends up being a problem that crops up. Having to push the lumbar area of the belt down all the time gave me a sandy vaginky, so steps were taken.

John W
10-14-11, 18:59
Pushing my belt down is aggravating. I will look into the recommendations. The thread is 37 pages long..do you recall if they were recent or more towards the beginning?

I tried searching for your first line belt photos but I don't think the search wanted to output the data I was looking for.

Do you have a link or photo of your first line belt? I'd like to see how you set your holster and belt up to stop the slide. Right now I'm leaning towards running my instructor or rigger belt with the holster mounted on a UBL w/ a QSL. Wow that was a mouthful of parts. Better loktite it all together. :) The QSL is a great idea in case one needs to get in a vehicle or something to that effect.

Thanks again for your help. Your information has cleared alot of the confusion up. Appreciate it!

Edit: Here is a bunch of good info on the UBL sizing;

The drop plate is called the 6070UBL and then there is one that drops 1.5" lower and is the 6075UBL.

The 6070 drops as much as the DOH. The 6075 drops it too far down for my taste.

One problem is that the UBL is designed for a 2.25" belt and leaves room for alot of movement on a 1.75" belt.

JSantoro
10-15-11, 00:24
I only just now posted mine; I'd only asked some questions, before now, and mine isn't really unique in any way. I got a lot of workable ideas with solid reasoning behind them from those 37 pages, to get to what's turned out to be near-ideal for me.

You'll see examples in that thread, but in a nutshell: Most folks find a way to use velcro somehow to stabilize their belt in the absence of leg-straps (holster, subload). Also, the most recent HSGI belt has a neoprene lining, which has a lot of friction to it