PDA

View Full Version : M&P Thumb Safety

DBake
02-04-09, 16:36
These do not have the different verisons as the regular M&P's.

Do the thumb safety's come with the internal lock and mag safety?

1SFG
02-06-09, 23:05
No idea what your first sentence means, but believe the S&W rep I spoke to at SHOT indicated that they might be ditching the mag safety completely in the future.

These do not have the different verisons as the regural M&P's.

Do the thumb safety's come with the internal lock and mag safety?

RogerinTPA
02-07-09, 09:44
My full size M&P45 has the ambi thumb safety without the mag disconnect. S&W makes them with and without the thumb safeties and mag disconnectors. I don't like the safety personally because my other M&P's do not have it. It's something I have gotten use to. It does ease the transition if you are a 1911 fan though.

ToddG
02-07-09, 09:46
No idea what your first sentence means, but believe the S&W rep I spoke to at SHOT indicated that they might be ditching the mag safety completely in the future.

Not a chance. Many LE agencies demand it, and some states require it for new production guns sold into the commercial market.

DBake
02-07-09, 19:28
My full size M&P45 has the ambi thumb safety without the mag disconnect. S&W makes them with and without the thumb safeties and mag disconnectors. I don't like the safety personally because my other M&P's do not have it. It's something I have gotten use to. It does ease the transition if you are a 1911 fan though.

Okay, for the 45, 40 and 9 they only have one SKU number, if each have one with and without the mag safety wouldn't they have different SKU numbers?

I might have to contact S&W....

1SFG
02-07-09, 22:51
Interesting, and makes sense, but those were the words from the guy I spoke to at SHOT. According to him, most people opt for the non-disconnect version. Perhaps he meant they'll produce more of one, and less of the other as opposed to killing it completely.

Not a chance. Many LE agencies demand it, and some states require it for new production guns sold into the commercial market.

RadioActivity
02-08-09, 08:40
You understood my question correctly, and that answer helps a lot.

Now to track down SKU's...funny thing, S&W customer support said they didnt exist...but apparently they do...

ToddG
02-08-09, 11:41
As GSJ said, S&W has produced models with both the thumb safety and the mag disconnect. I do not know if they have done that with the 9/40/357 yet, but it's easy enough for them to do or for the end user to modify once he's got the gun in hand.

When I asked the product manager about it, he said that they would be making the thumb/mag safety combo for LE if requested. I'm also guessing that they'll make them for the commercial market because the mag disco is required in some jurisdictions.

As for SKU, I've got no idea whether SKUs for the 9/40/357 thumb & mag disco versions exist. And if there's no SKU, the Customer Service people will (correctly) tell you the gun doesn't exist in the system.

LonghunterCO
02-09-09, 21:03
As for SKU, I've got no idea whether SKUs for the 9/40/357 thumb & mag disco versions exist. And if there's no SKU, the Customer Service people will (correctly) tell you the gun doesn't exist in the system.

I had emailed S&W about a offering for a M&P9 with the thumb safety. They said they do not have a model that offers that and there was no plans to.

ToddG
02-09-09, 23:54
I had emailed S&W about a offering for a M&P9 with the thumb safety. They said they do not have a model that offers that and there was no plans to.

LonghunterCO, don't know when you emailed them but the safety equipped M&P9 was in production late in '08 and displayed at the SHOT Show in January '09.

Aubrey
02-10-09, 11:33

M&P9 206301 Full
M&P9c 206304 Compact

NCPatrolAR
02-10-09, 15:12

They are available in retail outlets now. I handled one last week.

LonghunterCO
02-11-09, 08:10
LonghunterCO, don't know when you emailed them but the safety equipped M&P9 was in production late in '08 and displayed at the SHOT Show in January '09.

July or August of last year... I just purchased a M&P 9 from Grant last week. If I would have known I would have went with the thumb safety. Crap.

DBake
02-13-09, 12:24
Just got a reply from S&W, the SKU on the web site for their thumb safety models are the SKU's for thumb safety with no mag safety.

They don't have a standard model with the the thumb and mag safety together in one model.

DBake
02-23-09, 22:39
With the new promo coming anyone know who has the 9mm thumb safety in stock? And what are some of the better pricing?

John_Wayne777
02-24-09, 07:05
G&R usually has some of the best pricing on M&P's. You'll have to talk to Grant about current inventory...