PDA

View Full Version : Same FCG in different lowers - different pull weight?

YVK
02-04-09, 17:45
This is just to satisfy my curiosity...

I've had one local gunsmith to put together a lower for me a while ago. The lower is made by POF; lower parts kit, including firing control group, is Colt. After the work was done, the gunsmith commented that the "lower was not in spec", although he didn't substantiate. My own basic assessment was that the lower was at the tighter side of specs.
Anyway, the trigger pull was horrible. Lots of creep, and heavy pull weight (didn't measure, felt like 8-9 lbs). Later I replaced that trigger group with Geissele.

Today I had another local gunsmith use the same FCG for another build, this time using Sully's SLR15 lower. The remainder of lower kit was LMT (thank you, G&R!). Pull weight is half of what it was on POF lower, and creep is very manageable. I was so struck by difference, I even asked if any trigger job was done. The answer was '"no".

I wonder if such a difference can be explained by different lowers/different LPKs, or one of the lowers (in this case I'd assume POF) was put together incorrectly. My only other AR came with Geissele trigger as well, so I don't have a frame of reference to what stock trigger should feel.

P.S. I meant to post this in technical discussions; moderators please move as you see fit.