PDA

View Full Version : Hearing protection (and dealers)

LOKNLOD
12-04-06, 22:35
I'm trying to point family members in a useful direction for Christmas gifts. For some reason "cash" doesn't ever seem to drill into their heads...

Thinking about something along the lines of Peltor Tac-6s (open to suggestions) do any of our M4C dealers carry them? I'm not seeing them on anybody's website. If not, who's a good source?

GlockWRX
12-05-06, 10:03
I like my Tac-6s. Only negative is that they are not the best for shooting in an indoor range with larger calibers (rifles, .44s, etc.). They don't attenuate the sound as well as plugs or more dedicated ear pro. For out doors where the sound isn't bouncing back at you in an enclosed space, they work great. Changing the batteries is a pain, so make sure you don't leave them on.

I got mine from Cabela's.

Patrick Aherne
12-05-06, 13:55
I have a dead pair of Tac-6s I can sell to you at a REALLY good price. That way, when they die on you in the rain, you won't feel that bad about it.:(

ISHOT
12-07-06, 09:13
Gents, if I may....

This is going to sound like a plug for own business but just hear me out. I spent a good amount of time earlier in the year testing out different head-sets and I've come to a conclusion that your best bang for the buck is the new Peltor Tac Sports.

I could tell you how it all came about but I'd leave it up to you to read this thread on the SIG forum for your own edification:

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/505108424

It is a long thread that started in Dec '05 and last post was in Aug. We went through and tested everything we could get our hands on including the German-made MPBs before coming to that conclusion.

If you wanna spend the big bucks and join the fashionistas, get a Sordin or a Comtac. If you want the best set of e-ears for less than $100, get a Tac Sport. I've tested the SH-T out of it and anyone who knows me will tell you than I shoot full-time, IDPA, IPSC and Tac 3-gun.

It gets even better......we found a supply of Avionics gel ear seals that pop right in and this upgrade brought the Tac Sports to a whole new level of comfort that is unparallel (fits any Peltor).

Now, for the bad news. Our online store is down right now (bandwidth overload) and I can't quite keep these in stock so if anyone's interested, a new batch is coming in sometime this week. If you are anywhere near us, we have sample sets for you to try out. Here's more info from Peltor:

http://www.peltor.com/peltor.com/comm_detail.cfm?prod_family=Sporttac&ind_prod_num=MT16H210F-479-SV001

Feel free should you have any Qs. Thanks.

Voodoochild
12-18-06, 16:43
So what is the deal with the audio input cable? I am going to buy a pair of these after the holidays.

subzero
12-18-06, 17:42
While I think the Tac 6S is better than nothing, I found a set of ears this weekend that has me all kinds of excited: Howard Leight Impact Sport electronic hearing pro. They're put together much better than the Peltors, you don't have to take off the ear cups to change the batteries, they have an aux imput jack (for an iPod, FRS radio or whatever other dorky thing), the microphones actually work at less than full volume, and they even come in a correct color.

I havne't found diddly squat on them on any forums yet, and I just got them on Saturday. But I'm so excited about them I had to mention them. So much better than the Peltors out of the box.

Patrick Aherne
12-18-06, 20:07
Helmie,

What's the deal with the audio input cable? I would like to see if it would work with my Kenwood TK-390 for my SWAT set up.

LOKNLOD
12-18-06, 20:26
I'm glad this got brought back up because I missed Helmie's post on the first go-round. The Tac-Sports sound like a marked improvement over the Tac6s without costing much more.

Subzero, I would be interested to know more about the ones you picked up as well, got a link or anything? Where'd you get them?

subzero
12-18-06, 20:50
I wish I could provide a link to a review as I haven't seen anything on them yet. Really they were an impusle buy because I've never really liked the Peltors. I picked them up from Fredrick County Firearms in Winchester, VA.

Regardless of what I think though, it's a one shot sample, and I really need to find some more reviews on these things so I can see if other people think they're as awesome as I do.

Here they are at CTD. There are numerous vendors on the web that seem to carry them. http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/36900-54279-966.html

deadwood83
12-18-06, 21:52
I had some Leight 37 non electric muffs and if your electrics are as whiz-bang as the 37's I had then you should love em.

DrMark
12-18-06, 23:59
The Tac-Sports look interesting.

I've been using a pair of Dillon HP1s for quite a while. I've been told they're made by Peltor, but haven't confired that. As compared to the Peltor 6s, I like the fact that the battery door is on the outside -- easy to change.

ISHOT
12-31-06, 22:31
Guys, my apologies for the delayed reply. I had a nightmare scenario with our servers; emails not coming through and the store constantly crashing. We've finally got a portion of it back up.

Patrick, the cables we have end with a 3.5mm jack which is usually good for audio devices. For a mobile radio, you would need the actual cable meant for your radi and let me warn you that it is not cheap. Peltor charges quite a bit for these.

DrMark, unless things have changed, Dillon's are made by CED.

Voodoochild, thanks for pointing that out. Appreciate you letting me know :)

Voodoochild
12-31-06, 22:50
No sweat man. I ordered up a pair of the Peltor Tac Sports from you all. Cant wait to try them out.

DrMark
12-31-06, 22:54
DrMark, unless things have changed, Dillon's are made by CED.

Ah, thanks.