PDA

View Full Version : First Turkey Hunt with my 6 year-old Daughter!

Nevermiss
02-05-09, 06:37
It's a cool spring morning and I'm sitting in my hunting blind, bow hunting for turkeys with my 6 year-old daughter when she looks up to me and says, "Daddy, isn't is strange that there is an animal named turkey and a food called turkey."

Hmmmmm. I have to carefully select my words for my daughter who has never seen an animal die, so I respond, "Well, the food that we eat is actually the same as the animal. We can eat the breast, the wings and the drumsticks that you like so much are the legs." She remains quiet with a slightly perplexed look to so I continue,"It's kind of like how steaks and hamburger come from cows".

I can see the wheels turning in her head trying to make sense and she responds with and excited look in her eyes, "You mean we get to hunt cows too!".

I had a little more explainig to do about what livestock is and we both learned quite a bit that day. We never did see any turkeys that day, but my first turkey with a bow was soon to come.

About a week later we had two Toms and four hens come by and I let my arrow fly at 33 yards and it went right through the lungs of the largest Tom. My daughter was even more excited than I was. When we were driving home my daughter said to me,"Daddy, I am so proud of you for getting your first turkey and you did it on your first shot!" I thanked her appropriately and then there was a pause............"Daddy, I think I'm ready to hunt turkey with my recurve now" (She had just got her first bow about a month earlier). How I love her enthusiasm.

So that evening I was dressing the bird and then I put my daughter to bed. I was cleaning up the kitchen so my wife would have no complaints about any mess and I heard my daughter crying in her bed upstairs. My first thought was that my six year-old daughter just saw an animal die for the first time and this is a very natural reaction. I walked up the stairs thinking carefully about what I would say and I walked into her room, wiped away the tears and gave her a big hug and asked "What's wrong honey?"

She replied, still weeping,"Daddy, I'm just so sad that turkey season is over now and we dont' get to hunt together any more"..... then I started to get a tear in my eye. God has truly blessed me.

Kaos
02-05-09, 07:09
I love my daughter - she's a trip too.

Always saying stuff like "If the monsters come can I get your AR?"

03humpalot
02-05-09, 07:10
GREAT Story brother!
Thanks for getting the next generation involved.

crf_hemi
02-05-09, 07:25
Awesome story. I have been teaching my ten year old daughter about firearms and proper safety techniques. She really enjoys shooting her brother's .22 rifle. When I asked her if she would like her own pink rifle someday her reply was quick and to the point. "Not a pink one, I'd rather have a black rifle as they don't stand out so much". I think now more than ever we need to teach our kids about real "common sense".

Kaos
02-05-09, 07:30
My daughter saw me painting my one rifle stock using the rattle can and fake leaves/ fern method and said - "When I get a gun can we paint it together"

Hell yes we can.

Im going to get her a 10/22 and buy up the facotry stocks from people who upgrade and she can paint stocks as long as I can get em.

Nevermiss
02-05-09, 07:41
Thanks for sharing your stories! I'm trying to enjoy every moment because as kids get older, things change. They become more independent , spend more time with their peers and their interests change to what they want to explore.

I am trying to use this time to share the things that I enjoy with her and more importantly, emphasize the values and character traits that are important to develop as you grow, no matter what your interests may be.

As my birthdays started to pile up, I had less time to enjoy the outdoors and shooting sports. I've had a tremendous time commitment to my career but I realize that I truly miss all the time I spent in the outdoors as a child. This is now what I seek to do and share with my children with any spare time. Hopefully they will have some wonderful memories and share the outdoors and shooting sports with their friends and family long after I am gone.

Buckaroo
02-05-09, 09:11
Great story and you are a great dad!

I took my son on his first deer hunt over Christmas and when he took a doe my 9 year old asked when she could start hunting. (She has already been learning to target shoot.)

She is an animal lover but understands that our shared love of animals does not over-rule our need for sustenance and that animals were given to us by our creator for our enjoyment both in the field and on the table.

Buckaroo

warpigM-4
02-05-09, 09:45
that put a big smile on my face thank you for sharing:D

Detective_D
02-05-09, 11:04
What a great story!! Thank you for sharing.

My daughter turns 5 today and we were talking just last night about guns. I told her that when she gets a little older, I will be getting her a gun as well.

She thought about it for a few seconds and then said, "I dont want to shoot any animals."

I told her that she can shoot at paper, boxes, or cans if she doesnt want to shoot at animals. She said that sounded good to her.

My son is 11 and gets his first .22 this year for his birthday. We are going shooting this weekend with my AR.....which he loves to shoot by the way.
~D

Macx
02-05-09, 13:15
Wow, that was a great story! My daughter is 1 right now and I look forward to moments like that. Congrats on the turkey!

madisonsfinest
02-05-09, 13:26
Thanks for sharing that story. It was nice to hear a story about a father and there child that didn't pertain to smelly diapers! I have a baby due in April, and I'm told its a girl. I can't wait to have similar experiences!

lindertw
02-05-09, 18:38
thanks for sharing - awesome story!

SeriousStudent
02-05-09, 22:02
Bless her heart. :)

I do envy you. That is such a great age for your children. Mom is still the most loved person in the world, and her Dad is the smartest man she has ever met.

Memories like those will sustain you, when your children are grown, and have moved on.

Thank you for the post.