PDA

View Full Version : Stag LPK's hammer is un-notched?

markm
02-05-09, 12:37
I just got my STAG LPK, and I couldn't help but notice that the Hammer isn't notched.

Anyone else have any experience with this? It concerns me ever so slightly because my Stag LPKs in the past have all had notched hammers. And DPMS is a manufacturor of NO-Notch hammers. :eek:

Otis
02-05-09, 13:15
markm, I received one each a DPMS LPK and a Stag LPK in the last two weeks.

Not sure what is meant by a notched hammer (I am a noob and have only built one lower so far), but if you can describe where the notch would be located, I will try to identify whether mine does/does not have the feature.

I can tell you that the hammers from both kits appear to have the same basic cuts, the finishes are different with the Stag being more black and the DPMS more gray in appearance; they do appear to be from different manufacturers. The one from the Stag kit (which I ordered directly from Stag), has a circle with four dots stamped into the top front corner of the left side of the part (from the shooters POV). The Stag kit looks like a better kit.

Kaos
02-05-09, 13:20
I have a stag hammer that's rounded, a RRA that's notched and a DPMS that's rounded if it's any relief.

rmecapn
02-05-09, 13:30
I was on SAW's website and their Colt hammers do not appear to be notched.

markm
02-05-09, 14:31
I was on SAW's website and their Colt hammers do not appear to be notched.

Indeed. SAW sells a "type 1" hammer, as I have heard it called. The lack of a notch is good as far as I'm concerned.

I just didn't want to think that Stag was subbing anything out to DPMS! :eek:

Otis - the notch is a little relief cut on the top of the hammer face. (the surface that actually smacks the firing pin) So rather than a nice radius transitioning the hammer face to the top of the hammer, you'd have a step cut in there.

Otis
02-05-09, 14:58
markm - thanks for that description - now I will know a notched hammer when I see one! Neither of the hammers I have are notched as you described, they are both radiused at the top of the hammer face.

C4IGrant
02-05-09, 15:34
I just got my STAG LPK, and I couldn't help but notice that the Hammer isn't notched.

Anyone else have any experience with this? It concerns me ever so slightly because my Stag LPKs in the past have all had notched hammers. And DPMS is a manufacturor of NO-Notch hammers. :eek:

Figured out what you were talking about.

C4

C4IGrant
02-05-09, 15:37
Just looked at some of the Stag LPK's we have and the hammers do not have notches and neither do the LMT hammers we have (FYI).

C4

markm
02-05-09, 15:48
Just looked at some of the Stag LPK's we have and the hammers do not have notches and neither do the LMT hammers we have (FYI).

C4

GandR is where I got my kit! ;)

C4IGrant
02-05-09, 15:49
GandR is where I got my kit! ;)

So I have your home addy??? :eek:

Standby for the black heli fly over.

C4

Otis
02-05-09, 15:52
Now you have me curious. I just looked at the hammers in my M&P15s, and they have notches as markm described. So, what the purpose of the notch?

markm
02-05-09, 15:52
So I have your home addy??? :eek:

Standby for the black heli fly over.

C4

You've had it for a while! :D

markm
02-05-09, 15:53
Now you have me curious. I just looked at the hammers in my M&P15s, and they have notches as markm described. So, what the purpose of the notch?

The notch catches the firing pin on a ramped carrier in the event that the disconnector fails. It's a non-original design mod that prevents full auto fire.

Otis
02-05-09, 16:00
Cool, I think I got it. Thanks!

DamnYank!
02-05-09, 21:31

C4

that mean you have any for sale? ;)

Rider79
02-06-09, 00:23

C4

And somewhere off in the distance, you can faintly hear zippygaloo screaming "false advertising!!!" :rolleyes:

flyer
02-06-09, 07:17
Grant,

The lower pack picture on your site shows a notched hammer, but on the two lowers that I got from you (with your LPKs installed) the hammers are not notched. Does this mean that future LPKs will be notched or not?

Also, I believe that the notch originated as one of Colt's attempts to make a more semi only part and that the un-notched hammer is better for use with BCs that use the non-semi auto only firing pins that are fully shrouded.

nickdrak
02-06-09, 07:57
All of the STAG LPK's that I have installed in lowers over the past 4 years have all had NO notch hammers.

Robb Jensen
02-06-09, 08:00
I prefer non-notched hammers. That way if I run a 9mm upper on my lower I don't have to change out the hammer.....FWIW I've never had a DPMS hammer fail me. YMMV.

C4IGrant
02-06-09, 08:42
Grant,

The lower pack picture on your site shows a notched hammer, but on the two lowers that I got from you (with your LPKs installed) the hammers are not notched. Does this mean that future LPKs will be notched or not?

Also, I believe that the notch originated as one of Colt's attempts to make a more semi only part and that the un-notched hammer is better for use with BCs that use the non-semi auto only firing pins that are fully shrouded.

We will be using both notched and un-notched hammers. Parts are hard to come by and both hammers will work just fine.

C4

markm
02-06-09, 08:52
I did run into one problem with the Stag kit. Kind of a tollerance stacking issue I guess, between the lower and the safety. (M&P 15 stripped lower)

Anyway the notch in the safety selector is pretty narrow. I compared it to an older stag kit in one of my other ARs, and it's visbly narrower than my old part. And there's a few hundredths inches of lateral play in most AR safeties. Anyway the Stag safety would block the trigger when it drifted to the left most position, and clicked to "FIRE".

It took me a couple of minutes to figger it out. I was able to relieve the notch enough to get it to quit hitting the back of the trigger when in the fire position. Works great now, and I think I'll shoot it today.

C4IGrant
02-06-09, 08:54
I did run into one problem with the Stag kit. Kind of a tollerance stacking issue I guess, between the lower and the safety. (M&P 15 stripped lower)

Anyway the notch in the safety selector is pretty narrow. I compared it to an older stag kit in one of my other ARs, and it's visbly narrower than my old part. And there's a few hundredths inches of lateral play in most AR safeties. Anyway the Stag safety would block the trigger when it drifted to the left most position, and clicked to "FIRE".

It took me a couple of minutes to figger it out. I was able to relieve the notch enough to get it to quit hitting the back of the trigger when in the fire position. Works great now, and I think I'll shoot it today.

Yes. The is a KNOWN issue with Stag selectors and two stage triggers. If you are running a standard GI trigger, you should never run into this issue.

C4

markm
02-06-09, 08:56
I'm running the complete LPK as it came. No faggy triggers or anything. It's good to go now.

C4IGrant
02-06-09, 08:57
I'm running the complete LPK as it came. No faggy triggers or anything. It's good to go now.

Then you got a REALLY bad one (to which I have never seen).

C4

markm
02-06-09, 08:59
Then you got a REALLY bad one (to which I have never seen).

C4

I think is could be a combo of the selector and where the detent hole was made in the lower. It seems that all is good now.

flyer
02-06-09, 12:20
We will be using both notched and un-notched hammers. Parts are hard to come by and both hammers will work just fine.

C4

Thanks for the reply Grant. One thing for sure, reguardless of hammer style and parts availability, the G&R LPKs will be the best value around. I can't wait for them to be available again.

Rider79
02-06-09, 12:58
No faggy triggers or anything.

All of this has me thinking, if you're not running a 2 stage trigger or something like that, how much of a difference is there in the LPKs? Like if its a combat-type weapon, with a combat trigger, are you truly going to regret using a DPMS parts kit? I have 3 LMT complete lowers, but everything else I have is a stripped lower that's built up. One is using an M&A kit, one has a Stag kit, and all the others are DPMS. I would love one of Grant's kits, but that could be a way off. I'm putting together a Doublestar lower with a Stag kit I have coming from Grant today, for my BCM M4 upper. That will leave me with one stripped lower that I'm thinking about SBRing, and I'll have an M&A kit, and 2 DPMS kits left to use. Since it will be an SBR, I want to get it right the first time, so will I be ok using one of the kits I have, or should I hold out for a kit from Grant? Or maybe a Stag, if I can get one, since I remember Grant saying if you can't get one of his, Stags are an ok substitute.

GaryXD
02-06-09, 19:12
My last two Stag hammers have been "no notch". The four before that have all been notched.

markm
02-07-09, 08:35
are you truly going to regret using a DPMS parts kit?

You might... A hammer and trigger are CRITICAL parts as far as spec and hardness go. Bad hammers and triggers will give you problems such as double firing on one trigger pull.

You see.. with all the other corners that DPMS cuts on their guns it's not worth the gamble for me to risk using their LPKs. I don't know if they make the parts, or sub them out... or if they're buying parts that were passed on by someone else.
When a company shows that they're willing to cut big corners on things, I get really leary of everything they do.

Shihan
02-08-09, 04:14
You might... A hammer and trigger are CRITICAL parts as far as spec and hardness go. Bad hammers and triggers will give you problems such as double firing on one trigger pull.

You see.. with all the other corners that DPMS cuts on their guns it's not worth the gamble for me to risk using their LPKs. I don't know if they make the parts, or sub them out... or if they're buying parts that were passed on by someone else.
When a company shows that they're willing to cut big corners on things, I get really leary of everything they do.

Stop being a snob and just buy that Oly you have been eyeballing:D

TheGhostRider
02-08-09, 06:05

:eek:

oh no!...................................
Now you've done it!

LMAO

:D

markm
02-08-09, 08:50

I should! Then I could put a DPMS A2 burst kit in it and loan it out to people....

I could be a MR. HELPER!! :cool:

96GTS
02-09-09, 20:34
So just for my own info, is this what you guys are talking about?
http://www.ak47.net/content/legal/ar15-m16parts/hammer.gif

markm
02-09-09, 21:13
So just for my own info, is this what you guys are talking about?

Yes. Except that the 16 hammer pictured above has the sear engagement hook on the back of the hammer. The AR version does not have that part, but the rest of the hammer shape is the same.