PDA

View Full Version : Sen. Stabenow wants hearings on radio 'accountability'; talks fairness doctrine

ZDL
02-05-09, 20:55
http://www.politico.com/blogs/michaelcalderone/0209/Sen_Stabenow_wants_hearings_on_radio_accountability_talks_fairness_doctrine.html?showall

SeriousStudent
02-05-09, 21:56
My idea of fairness is that Air America went out of business. No one would listen to them, and their sponsors walked away.

Sounds fair to me.

The listening public votes with their wallet, and the sponsors vote with their ad budget.

Sounds like it is already very fair.

bootfoot
02-05-09, 22:40
Dude,
Nobody believes in that antiquated free market stuff anymore. Get with the program!

bootfoot

MisterWilson
02-06-09, 00:19
Fairness Doctrine? Awesome. Lets have a conservative host get 50% of the airtime on CNBC, NBC, CBS, & ABC. I'll gladly give up a few hours on Fox...

OR, you could leave it the F alone & let me listen to what's really going on for the 10 minutes of my drive to work...

MarkC
02-06-09, 05:29
The listening public votes with their wallet,

And that's what put Obama in the white house. Never underestimate the stupidity of the American people.

Rev18
02-06-09, 07:28
OR, you could leave it the F alone & let me listen to what's really going on for the 10 minutes of my drive to work...

...Exactly why they want to pass it. You already know too much for their liking...

Anybody else starting to get that "boxed in" feeling?

30 cal slut
02-06-09, 07:35
lol. :D

Senator Debbie Stabenow's husband tells police he had sex with prostitute

Posted by Natasha Robinson | The Associated Press April 02, 2008 13:41PM

Categories: Politics
TROY, MI - The husband of U.S. Sen. Debbie Stabenow told police he used the Internet to make a date with a prostitute and paid her $150 for sex at a hotel, according to a police report.

Thomas Athans, 46, co-founder of the liberal TalkUSA Radio network, was stopped by police who were investigating Internet-based prostitution at the hotel, according to a police report obtained Wednesday by The Associated Press under the state Freedom of Information Act.

The Detroit Free Press and The Detroit News first reported on the case in stories on their Web sites.

Stabenow, in a statement, said it was "very disturbing and serious. Obviously it's a deeply difficult and personal matter."

Troy police had set up a stakeout at the Residence Inn after learning of suspected prostitution at a room there Feb. 25, the police report said. Officers said they saw Athans enter the room Feb. 26 and leave 15 minutes later.

They stopped Athans' car and informed him they were investigating prostitution.

"Mr. Athans informed officers that he had just met a female at the Residence Inn, where he paid $150 for sex," the report said. It said the woman performed oral sex on Athans.

Police did not bring any sex charges against him but later mailed him a ticket for driving with a suspended license.

Athans paid a $115 fine and reinstated his license, the News said.
"He was very cooperative. He didn't tell officers who he was. He did not ask for any special treatment," department spokesman Lt. Gerard Scherlinck told the Free Press.

Police arrested Alycia Martin, 20, of Westland in the hotel room on a charge of prostitution and confiscated a cell phone, laptop and $431. There is no telephone listing for her in Westland.

Martin was freed on a $100 cash bond. She was arraigned March 12 in Troy District Court and returns for a pretrial hearing April 22. She did not have an attorney of record on Wednesday.

Stabenow, a Michigan Democrat, and Athans married in 2003.
In 2000, she became the first woman from the state of Michigan elected to the United States Senate.

Elected to Congress in 1996, she represented Michigan's 8th Congressional District for four years.

She had previously served in the Michigan House of Representatives, was a candidate for lieutenant governor and a county commissioner in Ingham County.

He started TalkUSA Radio in 2006 after leading programming at Air America, the liberal network that declared bankruptcy that year.

Associated Press writers David N. Goodman and Corey Williams in Detroit and Ken Thomas in Washington contributed to this report.

John_Wayne777
02-06-09, 07:44
Eh. It's only political speech. It's perfectly ok to want to ban that. We all know that the 1st has nothing to do with political speech...only flag burning and boobie channels.