PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any experience with REI outdoors clothing...sizing question

adh
02-05-09, 21:04
REI has a pretty nice fleece jacket on sale for $20+ shipping but the color I want is only available in XXL. I usually wear an XL, but even then at 6' 5" length is often an issue. But, I don't want to buy this online and then be swimming in it as I don't want to cover return shipping. So you get the point.

Thanks for any help.

ghost762
02-05-09, 21:50
REI has a pretty nice fleece jacket on sale for $20+ shipping but the color I want is only available in XXL. I usually wear an XL, but even then at 6' 5" length is often an issue. But, I don't want to buy this online and then be swimming in it as I don't want to cover return shipping. So you get the point.

Thanks for any help.

Do you live near a REI store? If so and your a member just take to the store for a exchange or refund. They can look up your purchase history right there. You don't even need the shipping invoice. I did that with a pair of sandals I bought on my last deployment and had no problem getting credit back.

adh
02-05-09, 22:41
Do you live near a REI store? If so and your a member just take to the store for a exchange or refund. They can look up your purchase history right there. You don't even need the shipping invoice. I did that with a pair of sandals I bought on my last deployment and had no problem getting credit back.

Unfortunately no, I should have mentioned that, the nearest store is 65 + miles north in Austin

usp_fan
02-06-09, 08:38
Which jacket are you looking at.

Usually they will describe the cut. Most of their performance oriented jackets are cut to ride close or slim. If you want a little "space" for whatever may occupy a place on your belt, you may want it a little bigger. However, the danger is in the length of the arms. These are usually a bit long to begin with to acomodate reaching, etc... without exposing skin. A larger size may be too long.

Just some thoughts...

REI is great to work with, as mentioned they will take anything they sell you back without a hassle. I know shipping something back may not be the greatest option, but you can sit on it till you make a trip by the store. You may want to call the store to see if they have the size and color you want in stock, they will hold it for you.

--usp_fan

adh
02-06-09, 09:36
Which jacket are you looking at.

Usually they will describe the cut. Most of their performance oriented jackets are cut to ride close or slim. If you want a little "space" for whatever may occupy a place on your belt, you may want it a little bigger. However, the danger is in the length of the arms. These are usually a bit long to begin with to acomodate reaching, etc... without exposing skin. A larger size may be too long.

Just some thoughts...

REI is great to work with, as mentioned they will take anything they sell you back without a hassle. I know shipping something back may not be the greatest option, but you can sit on it till you make a trip by the store. You may want to call the store to see if they have the size and color you want in stock, they will hold it for you.

--usp_fan

Thanks for the input...I'm ordering it now....I've never had a problem with sleeves being too long. I was more concerned about the chest and torso area being too loose.

Thanks again

ghost762
02-06-09, 16:35
Unfortunately no, I should have mentioned that, the nearest store is 65 + miles north in Austin

65 miles isn't that bad. That's about as far as I would have to go if I wanted to go to the Seattle store. Anyway is there a local store that carries a similar jacket? If so go there and try one one. REI for the most part uses standard sizing that you would find from other makers like North Face and Columbia use.