PDA

View Full Version : Please Help!! Colt 6920: Any way to perm. remove FSP?!?

novfan99
02-06-09, 10:15
Hi everyone,

I have a NIB Colt 6920 that I would like to remove the FSP from. Is this possible? :confused:

I am a rookie but I have been search with no luck :(

thanks guys :)

JackOSU
02-06-09, 10:30
To my knowledge you can tap out the retaining pins and remove, but you will then need to add a gas block to hold the gas tube into place. Unless you're upgrading your rail system I would not mess with it. I have done a few upgrades and still like my FSP YMMV. I look at it like as not needing to fix it if it's not broken...;)

Kaos
02-06-09, 12:52
wait...FSP or FSB...two different things entirely.

CarlosDJackal
02-06-09, 16:16
Hacksaw?

JBnTX
02-06-09, 17:55
Hi everyone,

I have a NIB Colt 6920 that I would like to remove the FSP from. Is this possible? :confused....

What exactly do you want to do?

It sounds like you want to remove the front sight base from your, damn
near perfect and should never be messed with, Colt 6920?

If that's true, the Colt FSB pins can be a pain in the booty to remove.
You just have to pound them out left to right (check on that left to right?, I'm not positive on that) and remove the FSB.
The flash hider will also need to be removed prior to this operation so you can remove the FSB from the barrel.
A lot of people have reported extreme difficultly in removing the pins from a Colt FSB.

Then you have to purchase a Gas Block that will hold the gas tube on place and
direct the gas where it's supposed to go. There are plenty of them on the market
just do a search for AR15 gas block. Some also have the front sight (flip up, fold
down whatever you need).

Install the new gas block (with or without the front sight) and you are good to
go.

But I must warn you it's harder than it seems.
Leave the FSB in place if you possibly can.

scottryan
02-07-09, 00:22
Hi everyone,

I have a NIB Colt 6920 that I would like to remove the FSP from. Is this possible? :confused:

I am a rookie but I have been search with no luck :(

thanks guys :)

If you are new to building AR15s you don't need to be removing your front sight base or need a gun that has one removed.

scottryan
02-07-09, 00:23
What exactly do you want to do?

It sounds like you want to remove the front sight base from your, damn
near perfect and should never be messed with, Colt 6920?

If that's true, the Colt FSB pins can be a pain in the booty to remove.
You just have to pound them out left to right (check on that left to right?, I'm not positive on that) and remove the FSB.
The flash hider will also need to be removed prior to this operation so you can remove the FSB from the barrel.
A lot of people have reported extreme difficultly in removing the pins from a Colt FSB.

Then you have to purchase a Gas Block that will hold the gas tube on place and
direct the gas where it's supposed to go. There are plenty of them on the market
just do a search for AR15 gas block. Some also have the front sight (flip up, fold
down whatever you need).

Install the new gas block (with or without the front sight) and you are good to
go.

But I must warn you it's harder than it seems.
Leave the FSB in place if you possibly can.

novfan99,

Please read this and accept this.

Sttrongbow
02-07-09, 12:52
It seems to be that if you're dead set on replacing the FSB with a low profile gas block covered by a rail, you'd be better off going to a gunsmith that specializes in AR's like ADCO, and have the FSB "shaved down" to a low profile. But the FSB works great on a 6920....