PDA

View Full Version : When to refresh mags????

TAman19
02-06-09, 16:52
How often should you refresh a loaded 1911 mag? Also how long should I let a mag that I unloaded, rebuild spring tension before reloading?, any thought's?

This is like my 2nd or 3rd post...so yeah, Im a noob. LOL

bkb0000
02-06-09, 17:16
not exactly sure what you're asking- i generally blow off my carry ammo about every 6 months and reload with fresh ammo- i have no idea if this is a good schedule.

as far as your magazines go, i think you're asking about spring tension- apparently spring tension is unaffected by keeping a magazine loaded. it's more about using the spring- you can wear out a spring by loading and unloading a few thousand times, but not by keeping constant pressure on it.

someone else can better explain the science behind it.

shadowalker
02-06-09, 17:29
What are you doing with the magazine? Is it staying in a temperature controlled house or being carried daily, left in a vehicle, ammunition being cycled through the firearm, etc?

If it is a carry magazine do you cycle a round into and out of the chamber daily or leave it loaded?

I cycle my carry ammunition anywhere from 3 to 6 months depending on my mood, activity, season, budget.

TAman19
02-06-09, 17:30
Maybe I can explain it better. How long should you leave a mag loaded, before the spring takes a "set". Like a week or something?

ToddG
02-06-09, 18:05
The first time the mag is loaded, the spring takes its set.

Assuming it's a quality mag with quality spring, after that it's not going to "set" significantly in a way that will impact reliability. The spring will wear out sooner by constant loading & unloading than by staying loaded 24/7.

You should consider cycling through your carry/duty ammo more for the ammo's sake than the magazines.

1SFG
02-06-09, 23:08
Found four loaded wilson mags that I apparently forgot to download before heading out to Iraq in '07. Just got them back from storage and they feel fine. That said, those mags have been tagged for range/practice use until I can properly inspect the mags and springs. I'll probably change out the springs for peace of mind, but the gist of it is loaded mags shouldn't be a problem unless you are using inferior mags.

TAman19
02-07-09, 11:43
Thanks for everyones input.