PDA

View Full Version : Teacher suspended for gun photo on Facebook.

Rider79
02-06-09, 18:40
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,488567,00.html

"In the photo, Betsy Ramsdale was training a rifle at the camera."

The article isn't very clear, was she suspended because the gun was pointed at the camera, or because there was a picture of a gun period? I'm curious.

Buckaroo
02-06-09, 19:16
Why oh why do people have facebook/myspace accounts and why do they post photos of themselves?

What the hell do they think will happen when some libtard or Ultra conservative discovers them and "outs" them for their actions or beliefs.

My daughter is going into education. I will show this to her to help her understand that the web provides no anonymity.

I am sure lots of teachers. like all citizens, have things that they do or believe that some do not think are consistent with being an educator (I had teachers who we all knew smoked weed). Why provide an opportunity for others to discover your proclivities ?

Buckaroo

Rider79
02-06-09, 19:23
One of my first clients, a corporate executive, when I first moved here, told me to stay off Facebook/Myspace/etc., because that's one of the first places corporations look to get information on a potential hire. I've always stood by that and stayed away from that stuff. I think its pretty juvenile anyway.

ZDL
02-06-09, 19:27
One of my first clients, a corporate executive, when I first moved here, told me to stay off Facebook/Myspace/etc., because that's one of the first places corporations look to get information on a potential hire. I've always stood by that and stayed away from that stuff. I think its pretty juvenile anyway.

We have fired a few over things on their myspace/facebook pages. I don't understand the drive to make ones life so public.

madisonsfinest
02-06-09, 19:33
To me its not wether or not someone has a facebook/myspace page, but rather should they get fired for doing something that harms no one, is not illegal, and is semi private. I say semi-private because not anyone can see your facebook page, you must be a friend to have access to someone's page. Myspace is another story as it is open to everyone.
Since when was it illegal for a teacher to enjoy shooting guns? So there is a picture of her holding one big deal. It's not like the teacher was pointing it at someone for fun! The ACLU has come to the defense of the teacher in a matter involving guns, lol.... I hope she gets off on this really

Rider79
02-06-09, 19:41
I don't understand the drive to make ones life so public.

Me neither. When I'm away from work, I do my best to avoid the work scene and avoid being noticed. I have lots of acquaintances/people who know me through my job, and when I see them out people want to act like we're pals just because I see them at my job. Unless they're someone who puts money in my pocket, I want to be left alone. When I was in LE though, I generally wanted to go unnoticed because of safety issues.

ZDL
02-06-09, 19:43
To me its not wether or not someone has a facebook/myspace page, but rather should they get fired for doing something that harms no one, is not illegal, and is semi private. I say semi-private because not anyone can see your facebook page, you must be a friend to have access to someone's page. Myspace is another story as it is open to everyone.
Since when was it illegal for a teacher to enjoy shooting guns? So there is a picture of her holding one big deal. It's not like the teacher was pointing it at someone for fun! The ACLU has come to the defense of the teacher in a matter involving guns, lol.... I hope she gets off on this really

It's not illegal to fire someone either. Especially when you sign contracts that have restrictions. Not speculating on this case in particular but with ours, that was the issue.

How many facebook/myspace hacks do you hear about every week? It ain't private.

and the bold part: That's what she said....... :D Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Rider79
02-06-09, 19:46

I understand your point, and that part pisses me off, that's why my question is, was she suspended because of the pose (gun pointed at the camera, Klebold/Harris style), or just because there was a picture of a gun period? I believe Facebook can be public viewed as well as private. There's nothing wrong with owning a gun and showing it on your profile, but what ZDL and others are questioning is the intelligence of doing that. I, for one, do not want the general public knowing that I own a large amount of firearms.

Rider79
02-06-09, 19:50
Not speculating on this case in particular but with ours, that was the issue.

What did they post pics of, if I may ask?

ZDL
02-06-09, 19:52
Pictures in uniform with topless chicks, racist blurbs. etc. Everything was clearly over the line.

Rider79
02-06-09, 20:04
Pictures in uniform with topless chicks, racist blurbs. etc. Everything was clearly over the line.

Brilliant. In my time I've seen some real morons make it into LE somehow. Shit like that reminds me of an officer I knew of in the city I grew up in who was suspended/terminated for falling through the skylite of his ex-girlfriend's house because he was drunk and on her roof, trying to spy on her/stalk her.

madisonsfinest
02-06-09, 20:19
Contract? Are you saying the teachers contract said she couldn't have guns or post a picture with one on facebook? I'm not sure as I'm not a teacher but it doesn't seem reasonable and its all over the news here. I like facebook as I'm able to keep up with a lot of friends from college that I don't get the chance or time to talk with frequently. Of course I'm not posting pictures on there that I wouldn't feel comfortable showing anyone else, including my boss. Maybe its because I'm getting older, and not really doing any stupid $hit if you know what I mean.

ZDL
02-06-09, 20:31
Contract? Are you saying the teachers contract said she couldn't have guns or post a picture with one on facebook? I'm not sure as I'm not a teacher but it doesn't seem reasonable and its all over the news here. I like facebook as I'm able to keep up with a lot of friends from college that I don't get the chance or time to talk with frequently. Of course I'm not posting pictures on there that I wouldn't feel comfortable showing anyone else, including my boss. Maybe its because I'm getting older, and not really doing any stupid $hit if you know what I mean.

No. It wouldn't say that explicitly. Ours has a catch all that states "anything that would bring disrepute to the agency." I'm sure they have something similar.

As far as your use for facebook.. I personally look at it as, if I don't keep up communications with those people there is a reason. I surely don't want them keeping tabs on me. YMMV.

Rider79
02-06-09, 20:50
Although the article doesn't say, I think this is more because of the actual pose (gun pointed at the camera) than the fact that it was a gun. I wish we could see the pic, but the other article I read on switched.com said the pic was taken down immediately.

Rider79
02-06-09, 20:51
As far as your use for facebook.. I personally look at it as, if I don't keep up communications with those people there is a reason. I surely don't want them keeping tabs on me.

My thoughts exactly. I can't remember the last time I spoke to someone I went to high school with.

Honu
02-06-09, 20:58
I finally signed up with facebook after getting tons of requests to touch base with old friends ?

some I thought it would be tough to meet again and having a good time with it ;)

I have a pic of my wife and I
and one of my child and I walking away so you cant see our face at all and one of my trailer and 4x4 ?

thats all thats going to go up there :) I dont want pics of my kids on the internet or me and my guns etc...

madisonsfinest
02-06-09, 20:59
To each there own. For me because I am not able to speak with all of my friends on a regular basis, is by no means an indication that I care less for them or about what's going on in there lives.

They had the picture on the news here today. If I can find it I will post it.....Let me look

madisonsfinest
02-06-09, 21:12
cant find it! Argh

mmike87
02-06-09, 21:24
If the teacher had been caught in an explicit homosexual love embrace that would have been fine, I'm sure. It would have been a topic for class discussion.

madisonsfinest
02-06-09, 21:56
If the teacher had been caught in an explicit homosexual love embrace that would have been fine, I'm sure. It would have been a topic for class discussion.

I think you may be out a little on the extreme end here

Honu
02-06-09, 22:23
Madisonfinest ?

also I hear ya on friends :) to each their own ?
but also not sure what age you are ?
for me its been over 25 years since I have seen/heard from some and kinda fun to catch up after all these years as they were good friends in school but I moved back to the islands after school on the mainland and had lost touch
so I do think it has its place just not to use it stupidly :)

ErikL
02-06-09, 22:57
I think you may be out a little on the extreme end here

No i think they might just about have it right, even if they were suspended for that there would be such an out cry they school district would apologize and settle out of court for an undisclosed settlement.

Outlander Systems
02-06-09, 23:12
Myface and Spacebook are dens of demons, where nobody is what they seem; it's an artificial reality for people who are, well, artificial.

Oh yeah, and teenagers. The teacher should be fired for having a facebook page.

A guy I used to work with had a myspace page, and bashed our employer on it all the time. I found all of this out, when he was fired, for...wait for it...bashing our employer on myspace. Sweet justice!

Yeah, come on!

ETA: I'm not arrogant enough to feel like I need to advertise that at 8:37pm, on February 3rd, 2009, I brushed my teeth and watched 13 going on 30, while sipping Chai Tea.

The difference between wasting time on social networking sites, and spending hours on here is that:

1) On a social networking site, I'd be stuck talking to a bunch of self-aggrandising losers. The beauty of being an adult is that I don't have to talk to anyone I don't want to. On a SNS, since the majority of the folks on there are of the "look at me - I'm important" generation, we cycle back to "I'd be stuck talking to a bunch of self-aggrandising losers".

2) On M4Carbine.net, I almost always walk away knowing something I didn't know before. And that, my friends, is half the battle.

bkb0000
02-07-09, 04:52
where's that kid that wanted to put a carbine class on his resume for applying to be a teacher? he needs to read this.

sjc3081
02-07-09, 06:09

You are 100% correct and maybe even promoted to Principle.

ZDL
02-07-09, 16:06
On the left there is a video. It has the picture in question.

http://www.wkowtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=9781795&nav=menu1362_10

Outlander Systems
02-07-09, 16:59
http://i42.tinypic.com/1znx4sx.jpg

Rider79
02-07-09, 17:01
Yeah, the pose in the photo doesn't look too good, I'll give them that. I love what one of the parents has to say though:

"Middle school parent Jennifer Buzzell said the teacher's decision to post the photograph was concerning.

'I don't think it's appropriate,' Buzzell told 27 News. 'I'm not sure why this would be on the computer at all.'"

Oh no! Pictures of guns on the internet!

bkb0000
02-07-09, 17:18
yea- i was offended by the stupidity of that comment.

i think the majority of stupid ****in comments people make on the news are due to the power of suggestion- if a news person is asking someones opinion on something they've never given ANY thought to before this moment, and a camera is in their face, they're probably going to agree that the problem in question is a problem- even when it isn't, and if they gave the question any real thought would probably say "what's the big deal?"

i'm sure that was the first that lady had heard about it, by the way she was looking at those papers in her hand.

"Did you hear about the teacher at your child's school thats under investigation by the school board for her ominous photo of her pointing an assault rifle at a camera?"
"oh heavens, no!"
"here- look at it. doesn't that disturb you?"
"wow, yea, i guess that is kind of disturbing..."

Outlander Systems
02-07-09, 18:19
Has my love for the halfling's leaf clouded my mind, or is that a shotgun? Maybe it's the perspective of the bore to the lens, but that's either a shotty, or a funky camera angle.

bkb0000
02-07-09, 19:08
Has my love for the halfling's leaf clouded my mind, or is that a shotgun? Maybe it's the perspective of the bore to the lens, but that's either a shotty, or a funky camera angle.

looked like a flash suppressor to me.. click on the link to the news video to get a better picture