PDA

View Full Version : "Mexican Drug Cartels Armed to the Hilt, Threatening National Security"

Rider79
02-06-09, 18:58
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,487911,00.html

"'But too often glossed over in the border security debate is the flow of weapons across the border into Mexico,' he told Foxnews.com in a statement via the Internet.

The cartels are obtaining arms from America by using 'straw man' buyers, who legally purchase weapons at gun shops and gun shows in the U.S. The weapons cross into Mexico, where border security is much weaker heading south of the border than it is going north."

Haven't really seen the anti-gun groups hitting this angle, I'm curious to see where it will go.

Heavy Metal
02-06-09, 19:51
I have a brilliant idea! Seal the border!

Solves many problems!

Honu
02-06-09, 21:01
1 mile wide no mans land let our military snipers or whoever wants to practice :)

every say 100 miles or ? a proper gate and safe cross area for those that need to for whatever reason ? and that will be guarded heavily

wife thought it should have mines in it :) and she is Canadian

Honu
02-06-09, 21:02
was going to say this also kinda goes along with my rancher post the guys crossing these days most are not your nanny or gardner !!

TheGhostRider
02-06-09, 21:47
I hate to be this way....
I guess after all these years of watching our "leaders" fumble the ball on security I've become more of an isolationist.

You know that nasty border between N. Korea and S. Korea?

I'm thinking something like that on our southern border.

Layers of fence, land mines, machine gunners, snipers, dogs.

Cruncher Block
02-06-09, 21:53
The cartels are obtaining arms from America by using 'straw man' buyers, who legally purchase weapons at gun shops and gun shows in the U.S.

Uhhh... anybody else see what's wrong with Fox News' sentence there?

A-Bear680
02-07-09, 06:00

Good catch.

Low Drag
02-07-09, 07:58

It's a huge truck load of BS too.

These drug cartels have select fire weapons, RPGs etc. You don't get those at gun shows and pawn shops in the US.

EDIT: I'm waiting to see if the new bill in the house HR45 being tied into this.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.45:

A-Bear680
02-07-09, 08:22

These drug cartels have select fire weapons, RPGs etc. You don't get those at gun shows and pawn shops in the US.

EDIT: I'm waiting to see if the new bill in the house HR45 being tied into this.

No co-sponsors. IFAIK , it's the only gun-grabber bill that's been introduced this year.
The 2007 edition picked up about 16 co-sponsors ( out of 435 House members ) over a period of months.
Pathetic.

And no counterpart in the Senate. DRT.

Nathan_Bell
02-07-09, 08:28

Aye, and they also have some of the best NVG made by man, thanks to our gov't giving it to Mexico's gov't which is the same as putting them in a crate on the border saying "Spedial Delivery for Mr Drug Cartel"

TRD
02-07-09, 08:50
And this article is from FOX News, the "mouthpiece of the Republican party"?

This article is full of lies! Shame on FOX news for publishing it. I'd be willing to wager that none of these guys get their guns from the U.S.

RPGs???? Don't believe it.
Grenades???? (I know you can get them if you have a class III license - $200
bucks a pop).

I doubt there are this many "straw-man purchases." Call me naieve but I just don't believe it.

A-Bear680
02-07-09, 08:58
www.wikipedia.com

Type in : Pablo Escobar.

Wiki isn't perfect , but it does have some quality control standards in place that give some protection against the usual error-net drivel.

Of course , Columbia is farther from the US than Mexico , the situations and fix's are not exactly the same.

pmarcusm
02-07-09, 09:14
For those of you that don't know, a person does NOT need to be a US CITIZEN to buy guns. All you need is a green card and 3 months worth of utility bills with their name on them to buy a gun.
I work for a dealer at guns shows and this total astounded me when I learned this. I would have no problem with our idiot clueless dumbass useless POS so called leaders to stop this action.

A-Bear680
02-07-09, 09:29
:confused:

www.saf.org

Scroll down the page for a lawsuit in support of soon-to-be citizens.

:D

ETA:
If they are legal and legit--- what's the problem?

Or am I missing something?

LegalAlien
02-07-09, 09:41
For those of you that don't know, a person does NOT need to be a US CITIZEN to buy guns. All you need is a green card and 3 months worth of utility bills with their name on them to buy a gun.
I work for a dealer at guns shows and this total astounded me when I learned this. I would have no problem with our idiot clueless dumbass useless POS so called leaders to stop this action.

With all due respect, do you have ANY idea what it takes to obtain the priviledge of carrying a green card and obtain permanent legal residency status in the USA???

As a PERMANENT LEGAL resident of the USA, that works, pays taxes, contributes to society, I consider myself good enough to protect myself.
The fact that it takes me another 5+ years to obtain citizenship while I carry my green card should prevent me from protecting myself???
Will one of the nice US citizens with a firearm please come and move in with me and provide me protection

A-Bear680
02-07-09, 09:47
With all due respect, do you have ANY idea what it takes to obtain the priviledge of carrying a green card and obtain permanent legal residency status in the USA???

As a PERMANENT LEGAL resident of the USA, that works, pays taxes, contributes to society, I consider myself good enough to protect myself.
The fact that it takes me another 5+ years to obtain citizenship while I carry my green card should prevent me from protecting myself???
Will one of the nice US citizens with a firearm please come and move in with me and provide me protection

Soon-to-be-citizen's , IMO , deserve the right to own a gun.

Right now, only one state has a problem with that. A court injunction is in place,
Legislation is moving forward.

It is well on it's way to being fixed.
:cool:

g5m
02-07-09, 10:55
I doubt there are this many "straw-man purchases." Call me naieve but I just don't believe it.

I think you can believe it. And, it's one reason that gunshows are likely to go away.

Certainly not 'all' of them were purchased that way but, if the billboards in Arizona are reflecting the problem--They say "buy a weapon for someone else and go to jail for ten years" or something to that effect, it's a pretty big problem.

mrjones
02-07-09, 12:24
Since I live directly across the Rio Grande from Reynosa, where "El Hummer" was captured, I think I can offer some insight here:

The Gulf Cartel makes a lot of money trafficking drugs, and they use it to buy guns so that they can continue enforcing their dominance. Since civilian possession of guns and ammo is prohibited by Mexican law, the going price for a Glock south of the border was $3k a month or so ago. With little inspection to worry about in the southbound lanes of the bridge, it's easy for your average guy with some credit card bills due to to make some quick cash. It's still illegal.

Things were a bit scary down here last fall, when El Hummer had given the green light to his cartel members to engage US law enforcement if necessary to protect their drug trade. Since his arrest, and the ensuing largest weapons seizure in Mexican history, things have calmed down a bit. Felipe Calderon has declared war on the cartels, which pisses them off, and we're stepping up enforcement on our side of the border, which pisses them off further. But like anything else, simple economics are at work. The cartels have all the money, so they get to command all the resources. You can buy and sell all the guns, drugs, people, etc. that you want if you have that kind of cash.

Obviously the current depleted gun market in the US will make it harder for them to re-arm. The Border Patrol still has their work cut out for them.

I'll be happy to answer any specific questions that anyone has to the best of my ability.

Honu
02-07-09, 17:05
when I lived in Honduras the guy I worked with was pretty cool :)

he had gone over to nicaragua and picked up a full auto AK and a couple thousand rounds for a few hundred bucks american
this was like 15 years ago or a touch less ?

but he said he then sold the gun off to someone else ? and he said lots of people in honduras have these guns floating around from past skirmishes

I do think some guns come from america and quite a few I imagine but also why bother when you have the mexican military on your payroll and when you want the real toys you just pay off the military people for those weapons

here is my conspiracy theory stuff :) hehehee

but saying they come from the U.S. and letting them get a bunch traced back to the U.S. will make the U.S. pass more laws disarming more people and they know this once they can have a disarmed america or one they feel is disarmed enough it will be much easier for the mexican drug cartel types to take over border towns and stuff ?

Savior 6
02-07-09, 20:03
A favorite with the cartels, the Five-Seven has the advantage of being light: under 2 pounds, with a 20-round clip filled with bullets the cartels call "matapolicias' — "cop killers."

"The 5.7 x 28, armor piercing (AP) rounds are not available for sale to the general public and are probably coming from the Mexican military,"

I had a "questionable" approch me at a gun show recently wanting to buy my FN 5.7 and Glock 17. He asked the price, then asked if I would go any lower. When I said, "No", he simply said "I'll take them both." I had already printed a receipt as a transfer of ownership. When I asked to see his license he said that he was uncomfortable with that. I explain it to him again and once he realized it was not a background check he was ready to do the deal again. Then he produced an out of state license and I simply told him, "No can do."
The more I thought about it afterwards the more I realized that he was buying those for gangs. BTW the asking price for the two guns was $2K. He didn't even flinch at it.

Abraxas
02-07-09, 20:26
Why don't we set up a zone all along our border and set up mini guns on some sort of remote control mount. Then advertise that anybody can go on line pay a small fee via cc or paypal to remotely man the mini guns for a certain time. In between people getting to man it they will be on auto with motion sensors. That is just a joke, but we do need to seal the border. Realistically I see no problems with heavily mining the border, except at control points, in combination with the Guard and the Border Patrol/Customs patrolling.

thedog
02-08-09, 12:11
Since I live directly across the Rio Grande from Reynosa, where "El Hummer" was captured, I think I can offer some insight here:

The Gulf Cartel makes a lot of money trafficking drugs, and they use it to buy guns so that they can continue enforcing their dominance. Since civilian possession of guns and ammo is prohibited by Mexican law, the going price for a Glock south of the border was $3k a month or so ago. With little inspection to worry about in the southbound lanes of the bridge, it's easy for your average guy with some credit card bills due to to make some quick cash. It's still illegal.

Things were a bit scary down here last fall, when El Hummer had given the green light to his cartel members to engage US law enforcement if necessary to protect their drug trade. Since his arrest, and the ensuing largest weapons seizure in Mexican history, things have calmed down a bit. Felipe Calderon has declared war on the cartels, which pisses them off, and we're stepping up enforcement on our side of the border, which pisses them off further. But like anything else, simple economics are at work. The cartels have all the money, so they get to command all the resources. You can buy and sell all the guns, drugs, people, etc. that you want if you have that kind of cash.

Obviously the current depleted gun market in the US will make it harder for them to re-arm. The Border Patrol still has their work cut out for them.

I'll be happy to answer any specific questions that anyone has to the best of my ability.

Did you go/are you going to the Gunshow in Pharr? I live in the RGV too. Don't know if I'll make the show, though.

dog

madisonsfinest
02-09-09, 19:09
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090209/ap_on_re_us/border_spillover_violence